Netflix Instant Recommendations

Captain F

8 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

TBH.  He and his friends were tired of her before her family died.  

right, i tried eluding to that a little with saying how there was something "human" about how he was acting. you sympathized with him slightly and the "great, now how am I ever gonna be able to break up with her" mindset. 

it wasn't great...and the story line has been done before, and better....but if you're looking for a 3 out of 5 sci-fi movie to watch, there's freaks

Fear City was OK.  Wonder if Donald paid his 2% to the mob when building the Tower.

I miss my Reelz channel, I used to watch all the mob shows they played.

On 7/24/2020 at 8:08 PM, The guy in France said:

Will watch Midway this weekend, Midsommar nothing special to me

I liked MIDWAY, a decent WWII movie, the good guys won, cast with a lot of familiar faces, a little corny as a typical war movie from the 50’s, 60’s

Don’t exactly care for Stephen King but liked The Outsider and think I like Castle Rock after watching the 1st season

Reprisal, sort of Twin Peak-ish is enjoyable but needs at least a 2nd season so hopefully someone picks it up

Finally watched Don't F With Cats, documentary about the investigation to finding a killer who started on cats and escalated.  A bunch of random people on the internet joined up to investigate and ended up finding him.  Reminded me of the 4Chan people that found Shia LeBeouf's flag.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NOTW said:

Finally watched Don't F With Cats, documentary about the investigation to finding a killer who started on cats and escalated.  A bunch of random people on the internet joined up to investigate and ended up finding him.  Reminded me of the 4Chan people that found Shia LeBeouf's flag.  

There was a thread just for that documentary on the old board.  Pretty cool how a bunch of everyday people from all over got together online to play detective and find the guy and help get him arrested.  Kind of a wild story.  I thought it was worth the watch.

Another one, if anyone enjoys crime documentaries, is McMillions, about how someone rigged the popular McDonald's contest.  It starts off strong, gets a bit slow in the middle for a couple episodes (think there was 8 of them) then finishes pretty good.  Interesting story all the way around, from the maverick FBI guy who first started looking into the case, to the people involved who were running the con and to the people the FBI enlisted to help them find the culprits and bring them to justice.  

On 7/31/2020 at 10:26 AM, NOTW said:

I remember awhile back someone referring to the 4chan community as "weaponized autism"

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, DEagle7 said:

I remember awhile back someone referring to the 4chan community as "weaponized autism"

I think it was TEW

On 8/1/2020 at 5:17 PM, Mike030270 said:

I think it was TEW

Yup.

42 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

Nah it didn't originate on this board. 

I didn't originate the term, but I definitely used it on this board before most people had ever heard of 4chan.  Pretty sure it was back when they went to war with Scientology.

On 7/27/2020 at 9:55 AM, JBENT87 said:

I think the background was kinda necessary. You got a deep look into how much of a **** the bf was, in his forever eye rollyness toward anything to do with the gf. He couldn't wait to get away from her while she was grieving in trying to get out and go to a party and then sneakily was planning a summer Europe getaway 😂 But there was still something very human about how selfish he was acting, it made me feel guilty thinking about times in the past where I wanted to just have time with friends and didnt want to hang with my gf. Having some of that insight helps to not give a crap about him and his fate later in the movie. 

Seeing the grief and depression the gf goes through early on too in the cold dark winter clashes with the Midsommar atmosphere nicely too. There is just something awesome about a horror movie that doesn't try to hide in the dark, and brings it to you in absolute clear, visible light. So you think okay shes in this nice Euro town in the summer, maybe her lucks about to turn around. But obviously, that doesn't happen. Simple sorta symmetry but I really enjoyed it. 

Didn't it though?

She broke up with Ahole boyfriend and got over the relationship, becoming an important figure in her new social group.  Seems to me while the ending was obviously very dark, from her perspective she actually achieved happiness in the end.

• Like 1

That wasn’t happiness, it was madness.  There is no happiness in madness.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

That wasn’t happiness, it was madness.  There is no happiness in madness.

I mean, Ari Aster literally said the film was a fairy tale. She's definitely happy at the end. Burning Christian was cathartic for Dani -- it was basically burning your ex's stuff to get over them taken to the extreme. Even crazy people can be happy.

Their happiness is often an illusion, hers was surrendering to delusion.  The thing I didn’t get, it clearly seemed to be building toward a supernatural/demonic aspect, with the glowing red eyes on the painting, and the guy in the temple, but it just completely abandoned that angle.

6 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

Their happiness is often an illusion, hers was surrendering to delusion.  The thing I didn’t get, it clearly seemed to be building toward a supernatural/demonic aspect, with the glowing red eyes on the painting, and the guy in the temple, but it just completely abandoned that angle.

Well, I disagree it was an illusion. It seems pretty straight forward to me that it was actually a happy ending for Dani, albeit in a very dark way.  Hence the smile.

By the guy in the temple, do you mean the oracle?  He was a product of incest. There really wasn't anything supernatural about the film, it was just a pagan cult.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TEW said:

Well, I disagree it was an illusion. It seems pretty straight forward to me that it was actually a happy ending for Dani, albeit in a very dark way.  Hence the smile.

By the guy in the temple, do you mean the oracle?  He was a product of incest. There really wasn't anything supernatural about the film, it was just a pagan cult.

She was definitely happy in the end.  The slow, undermining burn of the way her boyfriend treated her totally led to that.  I think her tragedy in the beginning led to her thick skin and ability to find happiness with watching her boyfriend die the most excruciating death one can ever imagine.  My type of movie!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Curious.  Who were you on the old board?  I don’t recognize the name. 

I'm pretty sure he had the exact same name and avatar on the old board

• Like 1

On 7/31/2020 at 11:01 AM, Alpha_TATEr said:

umbrella academy season 2 dropped today. 

only watched ep 1 so far...and i like it. 

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

he was "hotpenis" on the old board...he switched up the spelling a bit on this one. 

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, hputenis said:

She was definitely happy in the end.  The slow, undermining burn of the way her boyfriend treated her totally led to that.  I think her tragedy in the beginning led to her thick skin and ability to find happiness with watching her boyfriend die the most excruciating death one can ever imagine.  My type of movie!  

Happy for what though? 5 minutes? Or has she 100% descended into madness at this point so moving forward sure she's "happy..." but does that also mean shes lost her mind? If she lost her mind how is that true happiness? 

28 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

he was "hotpenis" on the old board...he switched up the spelling a bit on this one. 

Im probably always gonna read it that way now. :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Exactly the same.  I was a member since its original creation (2002 or 2003), but I never posted a lot.  For some reason in 2020, I have found a lot more time to post.  😂

Just now, hputenis said:

Exactly the same.  I was a member since its original creation (2002 or 2003), but I never posted a lot.  For some reason in 2020, I have found a lot more time to post.  😂

Add that to the list of reasons 2020 sucks!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 6