Netflix Instant Recommendations

Captain F

On 11/19/2022 at 9:13 PM, dawkins4prez said:

S.4 the Crown is a great as ever.  At least it is 4 episodes in.

Season 4 or Season 5? I really liked the first few seasons. Season 4 was ok, but season 5 was a letdown. I understand the direction that they're going in, and they have to go there. But some of the episodes on season 5 just kind of dragged on. 

We have a couple shows going on at once here.

We started the Devil in Ohio. I think Ive liked it more than my wife.

As soon as Dead to Me season 2 game out, we jumped right to that.

On nights shes not around and Im looking for something to watch, Ive started 1899. Which is pretty dreary, and creepy. Liking it so far. The beetle thing seems kind of goofy, but Ill allow iti.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

Yeah I started watching that. It was OK but I couldn't really get in to it so gave up in the end. 

On 11/23/2022 at 10:45 PM, DBW said:

Pepsi where is my jet?  

watch it!  

I was interested, but parts of it dragged on and then in the end as it got more interesting with the actual legal case, the issue in the Philippines, etc. they rushed through it.  Setting up the background they spent way too much time on and repeated the same points of the story over and over.  We get it, some guys wanted to beat the system and get a jet.  They could have done that in 10 minutes and then got on with the more interesting stuff.

I did like that it was also nostalgia for the height of commercials that were entertaining.

On 11/23/2022 at 12:13 AM, NOTW said:

Inside Man (no relation to the Denzel movie) - a 4 episode limited series. Stanley Tucci as a sort of Hanibal Lecter solving crimes from death row. 

David Tennant co-stars. I like him, but hate his storyline. The absolutely stupid decisions made by the characters are too annoying and cringe. But Tucci is good as usual. 

Don't bother watching this.  Stanley Tucci phones it in, David Tennant acts like Nicholas Cage the whole time and his part of the story will just make you mad at all the incredibly stupid decisions everyone makes that are very easily avoidable.  This show wanted so badly to be epic and it wasn't.

There is a great line though that Tennant repeats a few times:  "I'm the F'ing Vicar!"  It made me think of his Broadchurch character yelling "Millah!" at his partner Miller.

From Scratch: my wife and I went to Italy for our anniversary years ago and loved it.  This series stars Zoe Saldana as an art student who goes to Florence to study for a summer, meet an Italian guy, learn to cook, etc.  My wife wanted a simple romance story that features art, food and architecture and beautiful scenery in Italy and remember our trip there.

Spoiler alert:

That is like 15% of the show.  It's based on a true story and even apart from that you can argue it's good to break away from the Hallmark style romance movies with expected plot points.  It has some of that, but also some things you don't expect - some good, some bad.  It actually gets sad, depressing and even boring at times.  It's 8 episodes and some of it drags and they spend most of the show in Los Angeles.  Zoe Saldana gives a good performance throughout and speaks a lot of dialogue in Italian.

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

From Scratch: my wife and I went to Italy for our anniversary years ago and loved it.  This series stars Zoe Saldana as an art student who goes to Florence to study for a summer, meet an Italian guy, learn to cook, etc.  My wife wanted a simple romance story that features art, food and architecture and beautiful scenery in Italy and remember our trip there.

Spoiler alert:

That is like 15% of the show.  It's based on a true story and even apart from that you can argue it's good to break away from the Hallmark style romance movies with expected plot points.  It has some of that, but also some things you don't expect - some good, some bad.  It actually gets sad, depressing and even boring at times.  It's 8 episodes and some of it drags and they spend most of the show in Los Angeles.  Zoe Saldana gives a good performance throughout and speaks a lot of dialogue in Italian.

Did you guys ever watch that show with Aziz Ansari? I forget what it was called now. It was only 1 season initially.  I think it was a pretty big hit but they waited way too long to do a season 2, which really wasn't ever planned for. 

I only watched season 1. Lost interest over the years before season 2 was finally ordered and made. But I enjoyed it a lot. 

Your post reminded me of it because of Italy, and Cooking. 2 big pieces of the plot in that show. And a love story. He loved pasta, spent time on Italy to learn to cook pasta. Fell in love.   I loved that Italian chick whoever she was. Good show.  

22 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Did you guys ever watch that show with Aziz Ansari? I forget what it was called now. It was only 1 season initially.  I think it was a pretty big hit but they waited way too long to do a season 2, which really wasn't ever planned for. 

I only watched season 1. Lost interest over the years before season 2 was finally ordered and made. But I enjoyed it a lot. 

Your post reminded me of it because of Italy, and Cooking. 2 big pieces of the plot in that show. And a love story. He loved pasta, spent time on Italy to learn to cook pasta. Fell in love.   I loved that Italian chick whoever she was. Good show.  

Master of None? DIdn't he get canceled off it or something?

4 hours ago, NOTW said:

I was interested, but parts of it dragged on and then in the end as it got more interesting with the actual legal case, the issue in the Philippines, etc. they rushed through it.  Setting up the background they spent way too much time on and repeated the same points of the story over and over.  We get it, some guys wanted to beat the system and get a jet.  They could have done that in 10 minutes and then got on with the more interesting stuff.

I did like that it was also nostalgia for the height of commercials that were entertaining.

Agreed, they could have spent more time on the legal battle and dove into the possibility/conspiracy that the judge was paid off by Pepsi to rule against them.  It went away too quick in the end. 

3 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

I never saw it.  There's a movie called Toscana on Netflix that is about Italy and a chef we might check out though.

13 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I never saw it.  There's a movie called Toscana on Netflix that is about Italy and a chef we might check out though.

I think this was called master of none. 

21 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

I think this was called master of none. 

That show was good. I believe just the 2 seasons. Season 1 following him and his friends in NYC or where ever they lived (he was aspiring actor). Season 2 his character moved to Italy (Venice maybe?) and it did a good job of showing another culture and life for an American in another country. I haven't watched either in probably 3-4+ years since that's how long ago they were. Recall it being enjoyable but not something I ever felt the need to go back and rewatch.

46 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

That show was good. I believe just the 2 seasons. Season 1 following him and his friends in NYC or where ever they lived (he was aspiring actor). Season 2 his character moved to Italy (Venice maybe?) and it did a good job of showing another culture and life for an American in another country. I haven't watched either in probably 3-4+ years since that's how long ago they were. Recall it being enjoyable but not something I ever felt the need to go back and rewatch.

I could have sworn the released a new season just pretty recently. 

But i didn't watch because it's been so long. 

Maybe they didn't. 

It was good though. 

On 11/28/2022 at 7:19 PM, HazletonEagle said:

We have a couple shows going on at once here.

As soon as Dead to Me season 2 game out, we jumped right to that.

On nights shes not around and Im looking for something to watch, Ive started 1899. Which is pretty dreary, and creepy. Liking it so far. The beetle thing seems kind of goofy, but Ill allow iti.

I watched the first episode and liked it. Gave me kind of LOST vibes, albeit on the Titanic.

On 11/30/2022 at 8:15 PM, TEW said:

I watched the first episode and liked it. Gave me kind of LOST vibes, albeit on the Titanic.

2 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

is 1899 any good? i might start that one this week. 

I watched this last week.  I think it's good and worth watching, but could've been better.  I said the same thing as TEW, it's LOST meets the Titanic.  It will also remind you of some other movies and shows that you will probably pick up on very easily, to say them would give spoilers.  The cast is just ok.  By the finale I was annoyed because I thought they went too off the rails and it could've been written better.  

We had to put subtitles on because not only is a ship of immigrants with like 8 or 9 different languages being spoken, the sound is mixed poorly so even in English it's hard to hear.  Too many shows these days have loud score or ambient noise that is louder than the dialogue so you crank it up to hear what they're saying and then when there's action it's way too loud.  Subtitles helped.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I just finished 1899. It was good.

Once I heard about the dubbing I took it off my list.  I can’t stand that.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DBW said:

Once I heard about the dubbing I took it off my list.  I can’t stand that.  

I didnt notice it that much. 

I have watched a few seasons of Elite. First 2 seasons were good but dubbing was not good at all.

And Money Heist, which was spectacular even though a few of the characters sounded absolutely ridiculous. The show is so damn good.

In 1899 I didnt notice it that much. There is some English which matched well enough I didnt even realize if it was dubbed. And there were other languages that had subtitles but theres not much going on on the screen, so to read the words isnt really a distraction from whats going on. I dont think its a big deal in this show.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I didnt notice it that much. 

I have watched a few seasons of Elite. First 2 seasons were good but dubbing was not good at all.

And Money Heist, which was spectacular even though a few of the characters sounded absolutely ridiculous. The show is so damn good.

In 1899 I didnt notice it that much. There is some English which matched well enough I didnt even realize if it was dubbed. And there were other languages that had subtitles but theres not much going on on the screen, so to read the words isnt really a distraction from whats going on. I dont think its a big deal in this show.

Thanks I’ll probably give it a look.  I watch house of dragon with CC on because they mumble and their accents are so bad so I guess it’s not worse than that 😂 

Emily the Criminal is well worth a look. Aubrey Plaza is great in the role.

Delaware should be very proud of her.

• Like 4