GDT: NFC Wildcard, Philadelphia Eagles @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 1-16-22, 1PM EST

EagleJoe8

2 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

I'm just concerned that we have a GM who is allowed to have too much say in choosing a quality QB. Howie can't get it right. Eagles fans are sick of it. Lurie needs to let someone else choose a QB.

and I think Howie is also dictating playing time. I can't believe that the coaches want to play Reagor or JJAW at this point. It is costing the team. I have no doubt that Howie has told Nick to play those guys.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, vaff said:

Apparently Lurie himself was a proponent of drafting Hurts.

God help us all....

15 minutes ago, vaff said:

True.

All our wins are against bad teams / bad QBs as well. Record / playoffs bit of a fools gold in terms of how good we actually were. Running game was great but defence and QB are major question marks heading into next year. Remember our wins were: WAS x 2, NYG, NO, ATL, CAR, DET, NYJ, DEN. 8 of those 9 wins vs teams picking in top-11 next year. Only one that isnt is NO and we faced their 3rd sting QB (In games started by Winston / Hill they were 9-3.  Siemian was 0-4 as starter but he did have some nice relief appearances) 

18 minutes ago, ShutDownDB said:

Logically I can't disagree with any of that. My problem with Hurts is I feel like he puts this team in purgatory. At this point he isn't good enough for this team to be a considered a contender but he also isn't bad enough to get them in position for a early pick. You know

Perfectly fair

10 minutes ago, EagleMatt said:

I think hes a good qb. Hes a winner. His body needs to be wrapped in bubble wrap, unfortunately. 

Love Foles and what he has done for our team. But when you look at his career, he is one of the most bi-polar QBs.

He has not been very consistent in his career which along with injuries is why he hasn't been able to hold down a starting job. I remember looking into this a while back - during his good stretches he gives you all-pro level play (last two games of our SB run, 2013). But when is bad, its really really bad - the volatility in his QB play and stats is much more than other starting QBs

21 minutes ago, ShutDownDB said:

Logically I can't disagree with any of that. My problem with Hurts is I feel like he puts this team in purgatory. At this point he isn't good enough for this team to be a considered a contender but he also isn't bad enough to get them in position for a early pick. You know

Yep.....this pretty mich nails it

21 minutes ago, ShutDownDB said:

I've heard that argument.

You need a very high pick to get an elite QB like Sam Darnold.

A 2nd round pick can get you to the playoffs in his first year as a full time starter,  but you need to use a first round pick to get Darnold, or Daniel Jones, or Josh Rosen, or Haskins, or Zach Wilson. 

Just now, Random Reglar said:

A 2nd round pick can get you to the playoffs in his first year as a full time starter, if you play the bottom feeders of the NFL and don't let him pass the ball

FYP

12 minutes ago, kiwieagle said:

Love Foles and what he has done for our team. But when you look at his career, he is one of the most bi-polar QBs.

He has not been very consistent in his career which along with injuries is why he hasn't been able to hold down a starting job. I remember looking into this a while back - during his good stretches he gives you all-pro level play (last two games of our SB run, 2013). But when is bad, its really really bad - the volatility in his QB play and stats is much more than other starting QBs

Continuity is key. Coaches nowadays dont have the patience for it. Lesser qbs have had a longer leash. Ive seen good qbs have multiple bad games..

Anyway, opinions. Who cares now. Foles is my GOAT.

2 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

A 2nd round pick can get you to the playoffs in his first year as a full time starter,  but you need to use a first round pick to get Darnold, or Daniel Jones, or Josh Rosen, or Haskins, or Zach Wilson. 

Or wentz or bradford. For elite pick qbs i mean.

24 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

God help us all....

the Eagles had 4 wins this year,  the Eagles won 9 games this year.

Stay the course, and spend on the rest of the team.  Lots of first round picks, and a good amount of money to spend or save. 

On the right track.

30 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

You asked for options and I gave them to you.  We don't know if any of them are real to the FO or what they are willing to give up. We just make issues up in our head what is reasonable or realistic or not and start ruling stuff out.  The best possible option is probably Derek Carr of that group, but I'm not against a rookie.  I don't expect us to be much better next year either way...but good QB play does make a difference.

Derek Carr has started almost every game for 8 years.  He had the most starts on the Raiders every year.

1 playoff appearance.  1 loss.

Hurts started the majority of the games for the Eagles for 1 year.

1 playoff appearance. 1 loss.

Not at all clear why Carr would be better than Hurts.

1 hour ago, D-Shiznit said:

This roster won 9 games with Hurts, it's not as bad as the one he had last year.

I think the biggest improvement on the offence was the play of the Oline and Smith.  If Kelce retires then the OLine might be an issue next year. 

16 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

:blink: 

As much as I hate Hurts guts right now, I hate Reagor even more. We need another big time WR with 1 of the first round picks. We need a big time edge rusher with another 1st round pick. That only leaves 1 first round left-not enough for a top QB prospect, so BPA with that. Looks like Hurts will be around next season at least.

15 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

Derek Carr has started almost every game for 8 years.  He had the most starts on the Raiders every year.

1 playoff appearance.  1 loss.

Hurts started the majority of the games for the Eagles for 1 year.

1 playoff appearance. 1 loss.

Not at all clear why Carr would be better than Hurts.

How dare you bring facts and common sense into this.

4 minutes ago, EagleMatt said:

Continuity is key. Coaches nowadays dont have the patience for it. Lesser qbs have had a longer leash. Ive seen good qbs have multiple bad games..

Anyway, opinions. Who cares now. Foles is my GOAT.

Or wentz or bradford 

I thought about mentioning wentz.  but he at least did have a good season once then he got hurt and the backup won the Super Bowl.

And Bradford was a long time ago, really.  EJ Manuel was drafted a while after Bradford.

Most 1st round draft pick QBs fail.  Most of them did not go 1/1 as the primary starting QB.  

It's been pretty clear all along that there definitely were going to be a lot of people who were going to say that Hurts sucked if he didn't take Wentz's 4 win 2020 Eagles to a Super Bowl win.

Hurts lost to Tom Brady.   Can someone step up who has been saying all year that the Eagles were so great that they should beat the team that won the Super Bowl last year with the best QB of all time in the playoffs?    There is no one.

Everyone knew that the Eagles were not a great team this year.   Going to the playoffs was over achievement.   The Eagles were at 6.5 wins over/under.  The got 9.  Over performed.   30 Million of this years cap went to the Colts QB.  Needed to be done, but didn't help this year.  The Eagles won 9 and went to the playoffs this year,  despite the fact that a big pile of money could not be spent on Eagles playing for the Eagles this year.   The future is better.   Tougher schedule.  3 2s instead of 3 4s.   But there should be upgrades to the team,  which should help when it comes time for the playoffs, and should help the Eagles beat high mediocre and good teams next year.   Sometimes #4 teams do pretty well.  I'm watching the 9ers up over the Cowboys.  The 9ers were the #4 team that the Eagles lost to. 

Good season.  Stay the course.  Add more talent to the team with the resources that are there.  Trade down a 2022 first for a 2022 low first / high second and a 2023 first,  perhaps.

The Bucs and Brady are just flat out better than the Eagles right now, and even I,  who thought that the Eagles should go about 9-8 would not have thought that the Eagles would have won against the Bucs.  What I thought would have been required for the win had something to do with SuperWeapons,  which on the Eagles would have meant finding out if the Eagles Oliners,  could do a lot of offense things,  like seeing how it easy it would be if the defense could tackle Mailata, Lane, or Kelce.   They didn't do any of that.  And they lost.  They might very well have lost if they had done that.   But I figured that doing that, and having that be successful, was what was necessary for the Eagles to win.  This year,  in a 9 win season following a 4 win season. 

30 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

the Eagles had 4 wins this year,  the Eagles won 9 games this year.

Stay the course, and spend on the rest of the team.  Lots of first round picks, and a good amount of money to spend or save. 

On the right track.

It's just the Howie/ bad QB choices... you have to have good to very good QB play to win in the NFL. Howie has wiffed on all his QB choices. Let a coach/pro scout choose the QB- NOT YOUR GM.

23 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Reason 1.  He is a QB, not a RB.

Carr really sucks.  He's a loser.

8 years as a starter,  and he has NO playoff wins and a single playoff appearance.

The only thing Carr has going for him is that his defenders have an endless supply of excuses for failure.  I also think Mark Davis really really likes him.

Carr also makes at least $20 Million more a year than Hurts.

Hurts was a QB in college and his teams were always good, always in the Championship hurt,  winning sometimes.  Carr played for Fresno State.  

I've been watching Carr suck for 8 years. 

The QB before Carr?  Terrelle Pryor.   Pryor's career as an NFL QB - 3-7.  Started his one year as a starter 3-3.  And then Foles throws 7 TD passes and the Raiders lose and Pryor goes to 3-4.    Carr's rookie year?   He started 0-10.   Add Khalil Mack and Carr, remove Pryor and you get really really bad.

2 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

Carr really sucks.  He's a loser.

8 years as a starter,  and he has NO playoff wins and a single playoff appearance.

The only thing Carr has going for him is that his defenders have an endless supply of excuses for failure.  I also think Mark Davis really really likes him.

Carr also makes at least $20 Million more a year than Hurts.

Hurts was a QB in college and his teams were always good, always in the Championship hurt,  winning sometimes.  Carr played for Fresno State.  

I've been watching Carr suck for 8 years. 

The QB before Carr?  Terrelle Pryor.   Pryor's career as an NFL QB - 3-7.  Started his one year as a starter 3-3.  And then Foles throws 7 TD passes and the Raiders lose and Pryor goes to 3-4.    Carr's rookie year?   He started 0-10.   Add Khalil Mack and Carr, remove Pryor and you get really really bad.

Jalen Hurts is not a good QB, and Tyree Jackson also sucks.

FYP

51 minutes ago, kiwieagle said:

All our wins are against bad teams / bad QBs as well. Record / playoffs bit of a fools gold in terms of how good we actually were. Running game was great but defence and QB are major question marks heading into next year. Remember our wins were: WAS x 2, NYG, NO, ATL, CAR, DET, NYJ, DEN. 8 of those 9 wins vs teams picking in top-11 next year. Only one that isnt is NO and we faced their 3rd sting QB (In games started by Winston / Hill they were 9-3.  Siemian was 0-4 as starter but he did have some nice relief appearances) 

No doubt. We beat bad teams and lose to good teams. An average team>

6 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

It's just the Howie/ bad QB choices... you have to have good to very good QB play to win in the NFL. Howie has wiffed on all his QB choices. Let a coach/pro scout choose the QB- NOT YOUR GM.

No,  Howie won the Super Bowl,  Hurts took the 4 win Eagle team from last year to a 9 win team this year.   Add a handful of should be great 1st rounders,  fill in with some FAs, maybe a great one.  Find a Fullback,  which the Eagles don't have.  And they don't want to use the very good to top OLs to do that at this point, so they have to find one somewhere. 

9-8 is a fine result.  Praise all around.   No one really thought that the Eagles would win today.  I thought it was possible if they did something new and different with the great players the Eagles have on the OL.  They didn't.    For a run first team with running QBs,  the Eagles don't have great running backs. 

San Francisco just scored a TD.  That makes Dak Prescott a worse QB. It looks like the Cowboys are going to lose,  still early, but it looks more likely than not at this point.  And the Cowboys have a pretty good number of star players all over the place.

The Eagles are not one of the top teams in the NFL right now.  They had a soft schedule which allowed them to get to the playoffs.   Next year though,  there should be some top quality new talent,  a second year of stay the course,  a better team, a tougher schedule, and a better position when the playoffs come around.   A better team gives a better chance to win in the playoffs.

You might not know this piece of Eagles trivia,  but the Eagles never won a Super Bowl until Howie came along. 

Stay the course, keep up the good work.

14 minutes ago, downundermike said:

FYP

Carr is trash and anyone who doesn't understand this is an idiot.

If you need your QB to lose a fumble,  Carr can do that.  But you don't need that, and it's not hard to do.

Just now, Random Reglar said:

Carr is trash and anyone who doesn't understand this is an idiot.

If you need your QB to lose a fumble,  Carr can do that.  But you don't need that, and it's not hard to do.

Excuse me if I don't put any weight into the opinion of a guy who thinks Mailata and Tyree Jackson should be the focus of our offense.

Archived