EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

I think the only CB Howie will target is Gardner if he is within trade up range.

Might as well give up hope of LB/S being addressed in RD1.

DT/WR/DE are the most likely first three picks.

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Cliftoma said:

100%  Patterson was a great player for the Eagles. He gave us 5 solid years before he had to have brain surgery.  He was a good one. The one that hurt the most was Broderick Bunkley  because he was exactly what we needed at the time.  Just didn't turn out 

Yep. Patterson was the 31st pick in the draft. He had a decent career as a 2nd/3rd DT. Bunkley was an early first round pick and looked like the incredible hulk and never did a thing.

3 minutes ago, Cliftoma said:

100%  Patterson was a great player for the Eagles. He gave us 5 solid years before he had to have brain surgery.  He was a good one. The one that hurt the most was Broderick Bunkley  because he was exactly what we needed at the time.  Just didn't turn out 

The Bunkley draft was wild… 2x Safeties, 2x LBs, TE and a RB in the top-10.

3 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Cox and Hargrave are free agents next season.  It is a need.  And something that you'd probably want to address with a first round pick. 

Whereas you can find quality LBs and Safeties on day 2.

DE and CB are fine alternatives in the first, though.

I can't digest a third straight first round pick on a WR.

I'm aware of Cox and Hargrave. I am operating under the assumption that Hargrave will be re-signed. Milton Williams also looks very promising and they just invested a 3rd round pick in him. DT could be considered a need, but it's way down the list and I just don't see Davis or Wyatt being that much better than players at other positions who will likely be available. WR is a huge need [whether or not it would be a third year in a row] and there are some really good ones they could take at 15/18.

11 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

All of this DT crap has me concerned and I really hope it's smoke. I get that you aren't supposed to reach for needs in the draft, but we have so many needs that come before DT that we shouldn't have to reach. DE, CB, WR, S, LB, etc. I'm Hoping they move up a few spots to get Gardner/Stingley/Wyatt/Johnson/Wilson and then move back and target Burks/Elam/Hill/Cine. DT would have been a nice luxury pick with three first round picks, but I just don't see that making sense with two firsts now.

You don’t want to reach for a DT but want to trade up for one? Which were you considering a reach?

4 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

You don’t want to reach for a DT but want to trade up for one? Which were you considering a reach?

Freudian slip of Georgia DL, I meant Walker as a trade up option.

9 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

Freudian slip of Georgia DL, I meant Walker as a trade up option.

I’m not with you on re-signing Hargrave, as he’ll be 30 after this season. Fletch is 31 now, and we all wish we cut the cord 2 years ago.  I’m looking at 2023 as Milton and a bunch of vacancies.

39 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

See the source image

This dude should have been a monster

Rarely does world class athlete with fantastic college production miss on the offensive and defensive lines. Very strange that he was just an average player in the NFL

40 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

See the source image

Yep. I remember being very optimistic followed by being very underwhelmed 

39 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

See the source image

Didn’t he put up like 45 reps on the bench press?  He should of gotten into wrestling. 

25 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

The blog on draft night
D1A6A08A-F934-4240-83A8-B64F1140AC13_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.afddcc2ea18804d5f97397a9b08dab33.jpeg

There has to be some other medieval version of this where they are all just jerking each other off.  And that would be the blog version.  

Cox became what we thought Bunkley was supposed to be.

That whole draft was one big disaster, from Bunk to Bustice.

Avant was the only worthwhile pick.

1 hour ago, schuy7 said:

The blog on draft night

Nah, the GIF of David saying what the F would be more accurate historically.

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

There has to be some other medieval version of this where they are all just jerking each other off.  And that would be the blog version.  

I found the primitive version of yourself 

image.gif.cfc32f5cadd9aaeda83549080498bb81.gif

1 hour ago, D-Shiznit said:

Cox became what we thought Bunkley was supposed to be.

That whole draft was one big disaster, from Bunk to Bustice.

Avant was the only worthwhile pick.

Off topic but whenever Bunkley is mentioned, i have flashbacks of a certain defense and cant remember what year. 

Bunkley,Patterson,Parker,Cole.

Fouku,Bradley, ???

Mikell, and clueless on the rest.

3 hours ago, NITEF4LL said:

Off topic but whenever Bunkley is mentioned, i have flashbacks of a certain defense and cant remember what year. 

Bunkley,Patterson,Parker,Cole.

Fouku,Bradley, ???

Mikell, and clueless on the rest.

Asante… Gocong early, Nate Allen late? A bit of flux at S/LB/CB during that 2009-2010 timeframe. Dimitri Patterson is in there.

9 hours ago, DEagle7 said:

Why is Carson Strong in every mock draft now?

In Round 3, he's good value.  And he can throw the ball to the left... down the middle... and more than 20 yards down field without a crow hop.

9 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

You think that’s impressive Ben Simmons hasn’t missed a FT all year…. 

946e68639b90a8499867eeebc94774f8.jpeg

8 hours ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Cox and Hargrave are free agents next season.  It is a need.  And something that you'd probably want to address with a first round pick. 

Whereas you can find quality LBs and Safeties on day 2.

DE and CB are fine alternatives in the first, though.

I can't digest a third straight first round pick on a WR.

What if they go DT at 15, and then come back with a WR at 18?   

Last week people talked about concerns over Boye Mafe getting his sacks out of a two-point stance. Ledyard’s rankings mentioned Mafe getting two sacks at the Senior Bowl. Turns out both of them were from a three-point stance, beating the LT around the edge both times. I think that concern is overblown. 

5 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Last week people talked about concerns over Boye Mafe getting his sacks out of a two-point stance. Ledyard’s rankings mentioned Mafe getting two sacks at the Senior Bowl. Turns out both of them were from a three-point stance, beating the LT around the edge both times. I think that concern is overblown. 

I'm less concerned about that in Round 2.  In Round 1... that's a bit overpriced.  But, with the 3-4 alignment we've seen with Gannon, having both edges in a two point stance (and comfortable in that stance) isn't a concern to me, its actually a benefit.

13 hours ago, SB52 said:

This is the problem when it comes to fans and the draft. Your expectations are too high. Where he was selected Patterson was a solid, yet definitely not spectacular, pick.

Patterson was the first draft pick that made me lose my mind.  1st round (albeit late)...in 2005 when stopping the run was still more of a priority....283 pounds, 5'10.  Big DTs were more important then than now.

And Patterson was unquestionably a liability on defense for his first 2-3 years.  The guy was on roller skates and was consistently driven backwards.  Then he gained about 50 pounds and became a staunch, stationary, run defender who generated zero pressure.  And several years passed in which he started and did his job on the defense.  

Is that really a good use of a first round pick?  

Then we have Bunkley, Trevor Laws, and others.  They did their time at DT, got the job done, never disrupted much.  Cox actually was the cornerstone of the defense for a while and was an outstanding pick.  Corey Simon had a big rookie year, but was mostly just like the others after that.

If you draft a DT round 1, you'll get a starter who does their job, but you aren't getting a disruptor who changes the course of your team/franchise.  That's why I struggle with Wyatt/Davis.  In 2022, there is only so much a 320lb+ DT is going to do for you.  And that's an investment I'd rather make in round 2 or later.

19 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Interesting rankings. He definitely goes against consensus with a few players. 

PR are the best in the business , their articles are very thorough , 7 round mocks , with lots of homework  , that said I’m not a big fan of Ledyard , he is relatively new to P.R. 

Archived