EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

15 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Strong is basically the direct opposite of Hurts in every way. Would like to grab him round 3, if he falls that far. Maybe even trade back into round 2 to nab him. 

Strong has a better arm but he might get sacked 50 times and throw 25 INTs. He's not a sure thing.  That's why he should be a day 3 pick if he's considered at all.  He wouldn't be able to come in and start for Hurts.  I'm not a Hurts fan but I don't think any of these QBs likely have the upside to succeed as a better than average QB.  2023 is when the Eagles need to make a decision.  

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Strong has a better arm but he might get sacked 50 times and throw 25 INTs. He's not a sure thing.  That's why he should be a day 3 pick if he's considered at all.  He wouldn't be able to come in and start for Hurts.  I'm not a Hurts fan but I don't think any of these QBs likely have the upside to succeed as a better than average QB.  2023 is when the Eagles need to make a decision.  

Morning.  So, I'm curious how this works with Minshew on the roster.  Will we carry 3 QBs?

Guest justrelax
1 hour ago, Original Sin said:

I mentioned this guy last week , late rd gem imo 

Little on the stiff side but could be useful as a 4i. Certainly strong (as all Wisconsin guys are). So yeah. Day Three guy with some upside. One of our fifths, perhaps?

8 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I'm not gonna die on a Carson Strong hill but I think we put too much emphasizes on mobility. Tom Brady does just fine. 

https://weeklyspiral.com/2021/12/21/2022-nfl-draft-quarterback-pro-comparison/

First thing that popped up when I was looking for pro comparison to Carson Strong?  A less mobile, more accurate Carson Wentz.  

My only concern with Carson Strong is that if you went down that path you'd certainly have to more Jalen Hurts and commit to a few years of seeing how he would be as a QB.  I think the obvious path is to roll with Hurts this year, then if needed package up the 1s next year to move up and get a top passer in that draft.  So, really it's this: is Carson Strong the guy you want to put the franchise on for a few years or is he really just the most interesting prospect in a pretty bad QB class?

20 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Stumbled upon this…

Dax Hill by alignment 

Deep: 80 snaps
Slot: 580 snaps
Box: 132 snaps
Wide CB: 19 snaps

Im not sure what to make of that in terms of an Eagles pick. 

In college, it isn’t unusual to see a player with Hill’s skill level at S lining up in the slot because he can mirror and be physical with the WR.  Lining up deep as a high S is purely preventative.   That’s because so many college offenses are one look, usually a quick throw, and go with RPO or RO.  When you run a 4.38 forty, not many WRs are going to outrun you.  Of course, then we have these draft pundits on some websites misreading that and calling him a nickel back.  The concern with Hill is the hiccups and whether he has the discipline to overcome that. (Caught looking or misplaying the play.)  The nice thing about Hill is you don’t have to align him deep and downhill. More options at disguising the coverage defense. 

10 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Interesting thought/convo

Chiefs call you for #15 and #124 to go get the WR of their choice and send back #29 and 30. 

Do you take it? 

I mean, that's good value for us, so I'd take it, yeah.  

17 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Morning.  So, I'm curious how this works with Minshew on the roster.  Will we carry 3 QBs?

We have 3 now, right? 

I get the fascination with Strong especially in round 3ish, but If the plan is to go all in on a QB in 2023, then stick with it.

A half measure like Strong can lead to a lose/lose scenario: He shows enough flashes for you to punt on the 2023 QB class, but ultimately turns out to not be good enough soon after.

32 minutes ago, RLC said:

3 QBs in the top 14 🙏🙏🙏

With the Saints now at nineteen and sixteen.  If the Eagles don’t get what they want at either f their picks, it makes Pittsburgh an attractive trade partner to try and jump a few spaces at a premium cost. Wouldn’t be surprised at all. 

5 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

A half measure like Strong can lead to a lose/lose scenario: He shows enough flashes for you to punt on the 2023 QB class, but ultimately turns out to not be good enough soon after.

Yep.  This is where we are right now with Jalen Hurts.  

3 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

With the Saints now at nineteen and sixteen.  If the Eagles don’t get what they want at either f their picks, it makes Pittsburgh an attractive trade partner to try and jump a few spaces at a premium cost. Wouldn’t be surprised at all. 

I've been saying that for a while.  15 is 1050 points and 20 + 52 = 1,230... 

That said I'd prefer Detroit move up for a QB and get 32, 34, and 66 (1,410 points) for 15 and 83 (1,225).  Or simply 32 and 34 (1,150 points) for 15 (1,050 points)  

2 hours ago, ManuManu said:

Interesting rankings. He definitely goes against consensus with a few players. 

Johnson is the prospect at 15 I would most like to see.  If somehow Thibodeaux falls, I would think you have to move up for him.  If he checks out off the field and is a hard worker, he is going to be a beast getting after the QB.

Bleacher Report (TIFWIW) player comparisons for their top 15 rated WR's

Drake - Mike Evans
Olave - Ridley
Burks - Josh Gordon
Jameson - DeSean
Dotson - Tyler Lockett
Wilson - Mecole Hardman
Justyn Ross - Corey Davis 
Shakir - Nate Burleson 
Pierce - Eric Decker 
Pickens - Mike Williams
Skyy Moore - Golden Tate
David Bell - Josh Palmer 
Christia Watson - Bryan Edwards
Javion Heiligh - Peoples - Jones
Metchie - Bryon Pringle 

I doubt Strong is on the Eagles draft board at all.  According to reports he struggled with accuracy even at his Pro Day, and has been underwhelming through the entire pre-draft process.  He'll be a Round 4-5 selection in all likelihood.

Next April the Eagles will likely be sitting with two 2023 first round picks in the 12-18 range, as well as a 2024 1st round pick to offer in a trade (as they'll have two 2nd round picks to soften that blow).  Offering two top-20 picks and an additional 1st round pick would be enough ammunition to get where they need to be for a QB -- especially if there is a good selection of QBs.  In 2018 there were 4 QBs taken in the top 10 picks, 2017 there were 3 QBs taken in the top 12 picks, including Mahomes at #10 and Watson at #12.

Getting the QB evaluation correct is another matter entirely.  It's been awhile since the organization has made the best choice at the position.

3 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

i say my opinion, stand by it, and willing to bet on it. IT's funny everyone calls it a hot take but no one puts money up.

This is false.  You posted a "realistic" mock draft with Andrew Booth being selected at pick 51.

When I challenged  you to a bet, you wanted to set the over / under on his selection spot at 20, 31 spots higher then your "realistic" mock draft.

You are a fraud.

1 hour ago, Bacarty2 said:

I feel like people, espicially the NFL GM's have started over thinking the QB position. 

Dwayne Haskins blows, but he's athletic so people think they can change him, or whatever. NO. Hurts, NO. Lamar, NO. is it cool to watch them run, sure. Do they win. NO. 

Give me a big dude, big body, monster arm who can read a defense

So you would have passed on Brady, Brees, Rodgers, coming out of college. b/c they didn't fit that description at all.

3 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

As a PSU fan. Do not want.  Hard worker though

28 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

In a heartbeat.  This draft is a black hole from 15-30......Nothing really exciting and we have a ton of holes.  We'd be wise to try and build with as many top 100 players as possible.  Then when we do get our QB in 2023, he'll have a good young nucleus around him.  Trading down and then back up to get more in that 25-100 range would be wise.  I do not like this 1st round after around 15.  Won't be exciting or sexy.  But wise.  

Agree.  I've been saying the meat of this draft is mostly between 30-80 so another trade back (though, it does depend who is there at #15 because if someone like Gardner/Hamilton/Davis/Johnson is there then it's a tough to pass on that player, but if they're gone then it's an easy decision) and then using our later round picks to move up a few/handful of spots in the 2nd/3rd Rounds to secure the guys we want would be ideal.

15 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

#Capisnotreal

Rams pushing everything into their window.

Just keep Mathieu away from New Orleans.

Archived