EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

Just now, Sack that QB said:

So many players I like in this draft, but really hoping Thibodeaux falls so Eagles can trade up, though I think it's highly unlikely

I've read some unsettling things about his attitude & effort. If he falls, I would assume that would be why.

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Summary, the Rams GM is far superior to Howie Roseman.

News flash... That's not hard. 😊

18 minutes ago, Utebird said:

I think something all 3 have in common that helps with there ability to step up in the pocket and slide around it is they are all 6'4" or taller.

Being able to look over ones pocket and see down field gives one an advantage over a QB like say hurts who when steps up in the pocket still can't see down field because he's too short.

I prefer taller qbs as they tend to be able to see the field better within the pocket 

There is some truth to the impact of height. That said, Drew Brees was pretty efficient for moving in the pocket and seeing his receivers. Part of that was taller slot WRs make easier targets over the middle for shorter QBs.  I think Pascal will help Hurts over the middle (as well as keeping his eyes up and standing tall, even as he initially moves. His tendency to hunch to run does not help him seem the open receivers as he moves. That’s why I want them to,avoid smaller (6’ and under) in the draft and look hard at agile, quick and taller receivers. Smith, Watkins and Reagor (and Ward) are more than enough short, fast WRs.  Another TE wouldn’t hurt. 

1 minute ago, Texas Eagle said:

I've read some unsettling things about his attitude & effort. If he falls, I would assume that would be why.

There's always a question with any prospect, but gimme talent with questionable attitude over attitude with questionable talent any day.

15 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I have a feeling he will be the pick at 15.  Which version of him do we get ??  The guy who was a stud as a freshman, or the guy who was not as good after that.

Unfortunately, I think he just tested his way in to the top 10.

Just now, bpac55 said:

Unfortunately, I think he just tested his way in to the top 10.

Saints need to trade into to 5 for a QB to start an early run to push some of these dudes down

Davis/Wyatt and Stingley Jr. 

i wouldn’t complain 

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

What did I misrepresent ??

The Rams are able to pay players this year, and next year because they have minimal dead money this year, and no dead money next year.   Eagles already have 15.3 dead next year, Rams have zero.

And seeing as you brought up 2024, the Rams have 60.9 million in cap room currently, with 16 players under contract.

Eagles have 57.8 million in 2024 cap room, with 17 players under contract.

So the Eagles and Rams are currently in the same cap situation for 2024.  The difference, the Rams have Aaron Donald, Jalen Ramsey, Matt Stafford, Leonard Floyd, Allen Robinson and Bobby Wagner under contract.  The Eagles have Lane Johnson, Devonta Smith, Jordan Mailata, Haason Reddick, Dallas Goedert and Josh Sweat.  Rams are going to get way more bang for their buck already spent than the Eagles.

The Rams also have flexibility to do something with the Stafford deal.  The Rams are in a far superior situation to the Eagles, and are maximizing the Super Bowl window.  If they win one more the next 3 years, Les Snead is absolutely destroying Howie Roseman.

Right, the Rams are able to play people this year because they are pushing money into future years.  They will be in the same position the Eagles are in today in two years or whenever they stop kicking the cap hits down the road.  So you seem to understand that it makes sense to do this when you are competing and yet lack the basic intelligence to then not complain about it two and three years later when the impact of those decisions come due.  

You really have the capacity of a child who cannot understand concepts like the reason they have no cookies today is because they ate them all yesterday. 

16 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Historically, I don't think the Eagles have interviews with players they wouldn't consider drafting.  I have heard that teams use the visit as a way to get further information about a prospect they have questions about. Just the last 3 drafts they have taken one player they had an official visit with: 2019 MIles Sanders, 2020 Davion Taylor,  2021 Marlon Tuipulotu.  So it doesn't look like they are using it for first round picks necessarily.  I don't know what it means about Corral.  I think the meeting could serve dual purposes.  They may like him as a prospect but have questions.  They may want to see if anyone is showing first round interest in him.  It doesn't mean they are considering spending a first round pick on him. 

And didn’t use picks on 29 other players they had visit each year.  I think they use the visits to check out prospects they have an interest in too.  I think it is all uses, including some smokescreen visits.  Eagles also use Zoom calls, campus visits, private workouts, Allstar games, Combine interviews etc.  If anything, I worry about some level of paralysis by (over) analysis. 

3 hours ago, NCiggles said:

Ummm...Dawkins - He was a decent player. Bunkley was drafted in 2006.  The best defense he was on was probably the 08 team which was Jim Johnson's last season.  The LBs on the team were pretty underwhelming during that era except for the 08 season when Bradley and Gocong both looked like promising players.  They had signed Asante Samuel that season.  He started alongside Sheldon Brown.  

Maybe im getting certain years mixed up. I thought dawkins had left, then FO signed a safety from the steelers. Correct me if im wrong 😂

Dude was decent but ended up hurt and eventually cut, probably different years. The secondary i remember is a old sheldon brown, lito, joseilio hanson in the slot, mikell and no bdawk.

9 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Maybe Howie can get in his head and convince him to pull an Eli and refuse to be drafted by any team but us. We've seen Howie Wormtongue get into Lurie's head, maybe he could do it again! 

I don't foresee the city of Philadelphia topping the list of a Manning's idea destinations.

1 hour ago, Peppersmacks said:

Man, you really are one of the least intelligent people out there.  You never shut up about Howie's backloading and dead money and then present Stafford making $13.5 million as some meaningful indication that Snead is better than Roseman.  Of course, the only reason Stafford is only making that amount this year is because Snead is doing exactly what you always criticize Roseman for doing.  

Either you just like to intentionally misrepresent or just really cannot understand why your points of comparison are silly.  Like perhaps it would be more reasonable to address the fact that Stafford's contract which you use as proof of Snead's superiority is great this year.  It's great next year.  In 2024 when Stafford is 36 and has a cap hit of $49.5 million with $36 million dead, looks a little different right?  

Maybe compare the level of contribution of the top 5 cap hits and focus on that.  Howie is overpaying lots of guys that aren't producing near their level of play.  Overvaluation of the talent on this team is one of, if not the biggest, handicap Howie has in his job.

47 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Is ESP really that dumb?  (Rhetorical question that we all know the answer to.) Eagles have long used some Top 30 visits as smokescreens or to scope,out a player they may face or may later have an interest in.  

Was thinking the exact same thing when I read that 

7 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Suffice to say the Eagles approach to the cap is a fiscal strategy, and not the haphazard mismanagement narrative put forth all too often in here.

Free agency is overspending for talent -- by definition.  Most often these free agents sign with the highest bidder; not a great overall strategy to be heavily involved in free agency every year.

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

But you pick your spots, and sign young FA"s at position of need.  Safety was the way to go this year.

Brandon Brooks, Malcolm Jenkins, Rodney McLeod are some good examples.

I think we can look at bad contracts as potentially costing the team opportunity to move on from that player.  I don't think it has to do with the cap as much as cap invested in a player makes you forgo getting a better player.  I don't think cap space or cap money invested in good players is a problem.  I don't think getting rid of players like Wentz and incurring dead cap space is a bad decision.  The ultimate problem is not investing in the right players.  I have a hard time connecting that to the available cap space.  

2 minutes ago, NITEF4LL said:

Maybe im getting certain years mixed up. I thought dawkins had left, then FO signed a safety from the steelers. Correct me if im wrong 😂

Dude was decent but ended up hurt and eventually cut, probably different years. The secondary i remember is a old sheldon brown, lito, joseilio hanson in the slot, mikell and no bdawk.

Dawkins left in 2009. 

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

Maybe compare the level of contribution of the top 5 cap hits and focus on that.  Howie is overpaying lots of guys that aren't producing near their level of play.  Overvaluation of the talent on this team is one of, if not the biggest, handicap Howie has in his job.

Because that's an equally idiotic way to view things.  Stafford's cap hit this year does not reflect his actual cost.  It reflects the portion of his actual cost that the team has allocated to this year's cap.  Haason Reddick only counts $4 million against the cap this year.  Does that make him one of the biggest bargains ever?  Of course not because that is not a real reflection of his cost.  Be better than Mike please.  

3 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

And didn’t use picks on 29 other players they had visit each year.  I think they use the visits to check out prospects they have an interest in too.  I think it is all uses, including some smokescreen visits.  Eagles also use Zoom calls, campus visits, private workouts, Allstar games, Combine interviews etc.  If anything, I worry about some level of paralysis by (over) analysis. 

I think ESP's take is dumb but that kind of goes without saying.  To me, those visits, workouts, et al. are all FO when the scouts have already done the real work in terms of draft board.  So it does speak to a FO maybe being too swayed by in person interactions.  

Just now, Peppersmacks said:

Right, the Rams are able to play people this year because they are pushing money into future years.  They will be in the same position the Eagles are in today in two years or whenever they stop kicking the cap hits down the road.  So you seem to understand that it makes sense to do this when you are competing and yet lack the basic intelligence to then not complain about it two and three years later when the impact of those decisions come due.  

You really have the capacity of a child who cannot understand concepts like the reason they have no cookies today is because they ate them all yesterday. 

The Rams are also doing it with players who are at the top of the NFL, and are getting their money's worth.  The Rams have also not had 70+ million in dead cap the last two years.  The Rams also do not already have 15 million in dead cap next year.

The Eagles had to start can kicking because Howie Roseman gave out bad contracts to aging / oft injured players, after he got lucky once with a free agent signing class in 2017.

The Rams have also successfully built through the draft ( when they made picks ) and are paying those players to have a major impact.  I do consider trading picks for major impact players the same as drafting them.

6 hours ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Asante… Gocong early, Nate Allen late? A bit of flux at S/LB/CB during that 2009-2010 timeframe. Dimitri Patterson is in there.

Must be getting older and getting years mixed up. You're right about Asante. That time frame is a fuzzy memory.

2 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

I get the fascination with Strong especially in round 3ish, but If the plan is to go all in on a QB in 2023, then stick with it.

A half measure like Strong can lead to a lose/lose scenario: He shows enough flashes for you to punt on the 2023 QB class, but ultimately turns out to not be good enough soon after.

We don't know what the plan is

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

The Rams are also doing it with players who are at the top of the NFL, and are getting their money's worth.  The Rams have also not had 70+ million in dead cap the last two years.  The Rams also do not already have 15 million in dead cap next year.

We've been over this.  You still do not understand very basic concepts but given our education system has obviously failed you miserably, it's my fault for thinking I could do better.  

3 minutes ago, Peppersmacks said:

Because that's an equally idiotic way to view things.  Stafford's cap hit this year does not reflect his actual cost.  It reflects the portion of his actual cost that the team has allocated to this year's cap.  Haason Reddick only counts $4 million against the cap this year.  Does that make him one of the biggest bargains ever?  Of course not because that is not a real reflection of his cost.  Be better than Mike please.  

I never said to focus on the cap hit for a single year.  The cap hits for Cox, Brooks and others has been WAY over their value to the team for YEARS.  It's not a one year at a time thing, but a year after year thing.  

The real cost of Cox being back this year is at least one more top level talent, that's younger and might be a part of the future beyond 2022.  

Please stop venerating Howie and act like he's incapable of criticism.  This team has huge cap hits year after year for players that aren't capable of playing at the level of their contract.  Then, they also cost big money AFTER they are no longer on the team in addition to the other costs, adding to the overpay and keeping the talent that they want to see because of what they were, rather than what they currently are and will be in the immediate future.

2 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

#Capisnotreal

If writing is what this guy does for a living he ought to know about "their"

Ever notice that Howie’s inability to read how the draft is flowing is eerily similar to Hurts ability to read defenses and both have a slow trigger?

4 minutes ago, Peppersmacks said:

It is a 100% accurate reflection of his cost in 2022, just like it is an accurate reflection of his cost in 2023.

The problem is, Howie Roseman gave out contracts in 2018 to reflect the cost of what those players ( Jeffrey ) did in 2017, and DeSean Jackson, and did not get what he is playing for that year.  The future is the future, right now, the Rams are getting major impact for the money they are allocating in 2021 and 2022, the Eagles are not.

The Eagles have 36 million in dead cap, the Rams have 13 million in dead cap.  The difference is the money the Rams are paying to Donald or Ramsey.

1 minute ago, Peppersmacks said:

We've been over this.  You still do not understand very basic concepts but given our education system has obviously failed you miserably, it's my fault for thinking I could do better.  

I fully understand, you are just trying to create a narrative.  

Eagles have had 70+ million in dead cap the last two years, the Rams have been paying their money to impact players.

Archived