EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Diggs just got a 4 year deal with 26m AAV.

These WR salaries are something else, fully expect a WR to cross the 30m threshold within the next calendar year or so.

At this point it is fiscally irresponsible for us to not draft a WR in the first and lock down a cheap contract for 5 years.

Here’s hoping for Williams or Wilson.

6 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

If you draft a DT round 1, you'll get a starter who does their job, but you aren't getting a disruptor who changes the course of your team/franchise.  That's why I struggle with Wyatt/Davis.  In 2022, there is only so much a 320lb+ DT is going to do for you.  And that's an investment I'd rather make in round 2 or later.

Most of the time...  There are notable exceptions.  As you pointed out, Cox... and of course, Aaron Donald.  But, yes, it's rare to get a truly impactful DT with so few teams being run dominant.   You need a DT that can cause trouble in the passing game when running a 4-3.  But, if this team is going to be going more 3-4 style alignment... then Davis (not Wyatt) makes a ton of sense.  Davis has the athletic ability to do more than just be a wide body... the question is whether he is driven to be that dominant force.  Which is concerning, whenever talking about a player in Round 1.  Their motor should never be their strongest feature, but also it can't be something in question either.   That's why I am on the fence on Davis.  

8 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Yep. I remember being very optimistic followed by being very underwhelmed 

Bunkley was a square peg/round hole type of pick.  We drafted a penetrating DT to sit in a 2 gap and eat blockers.

Davis helps with the numbers game, his bull rush requires 2 to slow down, leaving a designated pass rusher like Reddick and Sweat in a favorable position to get home.

And let’s face it, he’ll be the best run defender in the league in no time, he is that unmovable.

7 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Diggs just got a 4 year deal with 26m AAV.

These WR salaries are something else, fully expect a WR to cross the 30m threshold within the next calendar year or so.

At this point it is fiscally irresponsible for us to not draft a WR in the first and lock down a cheap contract for 5 years.

Here’s hoping for Williams or Wilson.

It would be even more responsible to draft one at #146 where Diggs was, and develop him properly.

12 hours ago, greendestiny27 said:

I'm not sure what DE will be there at 15. Maybe George and who else? Possibly Johnson but I think he will be gone. Who else is worthy? I love Logan Hall, but he's probably a trade down option along with Mafe. 

Welcome back Derek Barnett.  He was brought back for a bigger role than we hope IMO.

48 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Interesting rankings. He definitely goes against consensus with a few players. 

Ledyard is very good at evaluating EDGEs. Good list.

21 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

Bunkley was a square peg/round hole type of pick.  We drafted a penetrating DT to sit in a 2 gap and eat blockers.

One of my favorite Eagles past times.  Drafting players who clearly are built and would have success in a certain scheme and they try to plug him in to a whole different defense limiting his strengths and potential.

12 hours ago, BigEFly said:

You would love American toilet stalls. 

Let me put it this way. We had an in-depth discussion at a company I worked at about why American toilet stalls are awful. Too much gap at the bottom (you can steal a handbag but not a problem I've ever faced 😆), the gap between the door and frame (peepers paradise) and for those who are tall, how short some are.

The funniest part of the conversation is the women were way more critical than the men were about the situation. 

https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/

Looking at the exploding WR contracts, you can understand why Howie keeps takings swings. AAV of #16 overall pick is about 4.5M. So if you hit on a 1st round WR, you save a lot of money in the life of contract.

Given Howie successfully picked an Alabama WR last year and an Alabama player off a torn ACL, and he's clearly thinking long-term, I think Williams at #15 makes sense.

6 hours ago, NITEF4LL said:

Off topic but whenever Bunkley is mentioned, i have flashbacks of a certain defense and cant remember what year. 

Bunkley,Patterson,Parker,Cole.

Fouku,Bradley, ???

Mikell, and clueless on the rest.

Ummm...Dawkins - He was a decent player. Bunkley was drafted in 2006.  The best defense he was on was probably the 08 team which was Jim Johnson's last season.  The LBs on the team were pretty underwhelming during that era except for the 08 season when Bradley and Gocong both looked like promising players.  They had signed Asante Samuel that season.  He started alongside Sheldon Brown.  

If you really want to the Eagles to be competitive this year then the defense needs talent.  Getting another WR won't change the fact that Hurts can't throw. Quez would probably be producing with a better QB.

3 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

If you really want to the Eagles to be competitive this year then the defense needs talent.  Getting another WR won't change the fact that Hurts can't throw. Quez would probably be producing with a better QB.

Maybe Quez would produce.

But, Reagor, JJAW, and Ward should be replaced.

Pascal probably replaces JJAW.

We still need a real playmaker.

WR in the 1st or 2nd round fits the bill.

pfn-logo-black
  • PHI
    Treylon Burks
    WR Arkansas
    trade icon
  • PHI
    Boye Mafe
    EDGE Minnesota
    trade icon
  • PHI
    Travis Jones
    DT Connecticut

• PHI
    Jalen Pitre
    S Baylor
    trade icon
  • PHI
    Martin Emerson
    CB Mississippi State
    trade icon
  • PHI
    Channing Tindall
    LB Georgia
    trade icon
  • PHI
    Zyon McCollum
    CB Sam Houston State

• PHI
    Jamaree Salyer
    OG Georgia

• PHI
    Dylan Parham
    OG Memphis

• PHI
    Zamir White
    RB Georgia

• PHI
    Velus Jones Jr.
    WR Tennessee

• 2023 NYG 2nd

17 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

Let me put it this way. We had an in-depth discussion at a company I worked at about why American toilet stalls are awful. Too much gap at the bottom (you can steal a handbag but not a problem I've ever faced 😆), the gap between the door and frame (peepers paradise) and for those who are tall, how short some are.

The funniest part of the conversation is the women were way more critical than the men were about the situation. 

Don't want to have to make eye contact when they can't spare a square.  

9 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Carson Strong has a monster arm which you can teach(i.e. Hurts)

He's also one of the higher rated QB's in reading defenses and understanding coverage's. (i.e hurts)

Carson Strong's ceiling is through the roof. 

I'd love to have him in the 2nd, get rid of Hurts, and go with Minshew and let the boy watch

Strong is basically the direct opposite of Hurts in every way. Would like to grab him round 3, if he falls that far. Maybe even trade back into round 2 to nab him. 

43 minutes ago, RLC said:

Ledyard is very good at evaluating EDGEs. Good list.

it was interesting that he only had first round grades on 2 prospects when DE is thought to be the deepest position in the draft.  Doesn't think highly of Karlaftis.  In terms of the Eagles, you have to wonder if they think Thibodeux is going to fall into their range.  He certainly would be worth trading up for given his potential. 

Stumbled upon this…

Dax Hill by alignment 

Deep: 80 snaps
Slot: 580 snaps
Box: 132 snaps
Wide CB: 19 snaps

Im not sure what to make of that in terms of an Eagles pick. 

4 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I feel like people, espicially the NFL GM's have started over thinking the QB position. 

Dwayne Haskins blows, but he's athletic so people think they can change him, or whatever. NO. Hurts, NO. Lamar, NO. is it cool to watch them run, sure. Do they win. NO. 

Give me a big dude, big body, monster arm who can read a defense

I don't think Carson Strong was reading a lot of defenses. One of the concerns raised about him was his tendency to stare down receivers.  They were running an air raid system.  In some ways he's more akin to Haskins.  Haskins had a great arm but limited mobility and there were concerns about reading defenses.  He wasn't an above average QB from a mobility standpoint.  

46 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

Peepers? So what the heck are the peepers doing in the wrong restroom?

28 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

The Eagles need a better QB to be competitive, plain and simple 

Archived