EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

10 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

But had no problem with wasting 2 years of tanking as Saric stayed overseas?  

Saric wasn’t a top 3 pick. And that trade got them their first rounder back that they traded away in the Bynum deal. That deal was more than just waiting on Dario. It was getting back an asset we traded away in 2012 in that horrific deal. 

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

It failed because they could have stuck with the 'traditional' route and ended up where this team is right now.

this team right now isnt what the end result of the process would have been though. We didnt get to see that. That program got cut at the halfway point.

Hinkie churned the roster, acquired tons of cap space and draft pick assets, and as soon as there was enough to start trying to bring in stars, they hired someone else (horrible) to do that part of the job. It ruined everything. Assets were wasted on busts like Zhaire Smith. Good players were traded like Bridges. Cap space was wasted on a player like Horford. Harris was overpaid, and only got that contract because the Simmons situation was F'd and they chose him over Jimmy. 

Ever since Hinkie left every gm from Brett Brown, to Colangelo, to Brand, and now Morey have been doing incredibly stupid things. 

4 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

He said it's at the halfway point, which means it hasn't ended.   But, it started 8 years ago.   

I don't want to hear about the failure to be allowed to be completed as an excuse.    If I start to build a house, and decide halfway to just stop the construction, that's not a successful build... its a failure.

yeah. hes wrong about that. it ended years ago.

Your house analogy is off. Heres the reality of the situation- If you start to build a house out of mud brick, and stop halfway through and build it out of cards and it falls over, you cant say the mudbrick house failed. You didnt finish building it out of mudbrick. You ended that project and turned it in to something completely different and stupid.

10 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

What do you guys think DK gets on a contract extension. Elite contracts are probably going to be over 20M a year average. But, does he get that?

Im just thinking if you can get him with a year left on his rookie deal at just over 1M dollars, thats a big time aquisition at incredible cost that allows you to add more talent with that ~30 million we have. Its like getting a pro bowl level WR and hardly even dipping in to our pool of cap space yet. 

Of course, you need to worry about the extension though...

As a 1 trick pony with concerns about his neck can he be retained for like 15avg? Or is he going to continue pushing the max higher for WRs?

Spotrac estimates his market value at $19.9M.  It also estimates Mike Williams at $16M

You might be able to get Metcalf in a trade and get a year out of him at a cheap rate, but you're also giving up significant draft capital to do so.

29 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Well it had an "and” which suggested you also agree about boards.  I joined the Blog from an invitation from Scouts Notebook, Tommy’s draft area post.  Thing I liked about Tommy’s approach is he built a board based on what fit with the Eagles, not some arbitrary ranking system that some draft site offers.  That creates a different value.   Now, the Eagles have the manpower and resources to evaluate a player as to the team but also as to each individual team.  Some have eluded to Hurts being overvalued by the Eagles in the 2020 draft.  All it takes is one other team with a similar value to impact the decision to pull the trigger on a player they liked.  All those mock sites and lists are guesses.  I like boards.  

Now I bemoan the limitations of watching game film from TV broadcasts all the time. You really can’t see the full secondary. But you watch it like film.  Film when I was in high school was grainy 8mm black and white film from the press box area of the stadiums.  We actually went to video my junior year.  That unit took three people cart it around. We would run it, but we could move it back and forth.  To really study it.  You can do the same with TV broadcasts.  None of us are scouts but that is how amateur draft followers have been doing it since VCRs came out.  

Awesome. When was the last time you acted like you are more than just a guy on a message board giving your opinion?  Most people that use the words "my board" and "film" are doing so to draw attention to themselves.

I do like however the shot you took at me about posting drafts. I have always admitted that I know nothing about college and that my posting of such drafts are in fun, a way for me to get an idea what those sites think should be the order of the draft, and for others here to critique. 

If you think that I'm not good enough to live in the same space as you feel free to put me on ignore. At the end of the day we're all just schlubs on a message board but whatever.

1 minute ago, Alphagrand said:

Spotrac estimates his market value at $19.9M.  It also estimates Mike Williams at $16M

You might be able to get Metcalf in a trade and get a year out of him at a cheap rate, but you're also giving up significant draft capital to do so.

Right. Something similar to the Amari Cooper trade Id guess. Maybe a 1st and a 4th?

I think itd be worth it if you can fit him in to the future cap on whatever extension he gets. 

Im just intrigued by adding a player of his caliber at such a cheap cap number. Its like an incredible introductory rate that draws you in. But can you afford it down the line?

42 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Bears seem to be all over the place in their search

I'll let you know when they call me

Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Building of the house ENDED....But it was not COMPLETED.

Ending and Completing is not the same thing.  

Since it ended and didn't get completed, it was a failure.  

You cant judge as a success or failure when it didnt get to happen. Its an unknown.

3 minutes ago, greend said:

I'll let you know when they call me

Oh Greeny, we all know you're constantly dealing with bears...and not the ones in the wild

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Building of the house ENDED....But it was not COMPLETED.

Ending and Completing is not the same thing.  

Since it ended and didn't get completed, it was a failure.  

I don’t know if I’d call a failure but more not as fruitful as they thought when heading into it when they stockpiled assets to build the team. 

the sixers could’ve just organically got to the position where they landed a player of embiid‘s ability. We will never have that answer. But their construction of the prior to tearing it down made it harder to be in that position.

i think the bigger talking point is how much better this team could’ve been if we didn’t waste as many assets as we did. this team would be much better than what is currently constructed. However they also got a superstar out of it. Not a given we have that without it. 

Highly doubtful but If somehow the sixers manage to pull off a harden trade this offseason isn’t that what the process was about. Getting enough assets to put multiple superstars on the team up to give yourself a chance at winning a title or more? Granted harden downside of his career. 

6 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

What's the price tag on a signing like this in a crowded WR market?

thats a nice tweet but it doesnt have a blue check. 

6 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

And the fact that it didn't get to happen means it was a failure.  I think it's pretty obvious.  

well, no. Not really. It just means it didnt happen. 

Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Again, making the 2nd round of the playoffs and having one great player was not the goal.  You either hit the goal or you don't.  

I think people think when people like me say it was failure, thinks we are saying it was a bad idea.  I won't say it was a bad idea.  It just failed.  That's all.  doesn't have to mean more than that.  

I think the idea was outside the box and made sense where the sixers were. getting the assets they acquired was executed pretty well. The execution once they got the assets and what they became was awful. Between hinkie, colangelo and brand they wasted a bunch of those assets. Tbh the ownership sucks too which didnt help the matter. I imagine this team if they had a competent GM like a jerry west and ownership likely has this team much better off

but the question comes up again if the sixers somehow acquire James harden (i think unlikely but who knows he loves Delilah’s strip club lol) this offseason and next year win a title wouldn’t that mean it was a success? I would think so. Just took a strange ass way to get there. 

14 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

What's the price tag on a signing like this in a crowded WR market?

$10-12M, give or take

To be reunited with Minshew $10.5M

To be paired with Hurts $12M

7 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

thats a nice tweet but it doesnt have a blue check. 

well, no. Not really. It just means it didnt happen. 

Came from this article 

DJ Chark Jr. is a fascinating case. After a 1,000-yard season in 2019 with the Jaguars, he seemed poised to stardom but struggled with injury and performance over the next two years. (He's already moving well and running on that fractured left ankle suffered in October, so that shouldn't affect his free agency status.) One AFC exec questions whether Chark has what it takes to be great, saying the traits are there, but his fitness and nuanced route-running aren't where they could be. The Philadelphia Eagles could look to Chark if they need a deep threat to complement DeVonta Smith.

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

If you go home with a young lady (back in your single days)  that was digging you....and you almost get some........but don't.  Was it a success?  

Did you at least get an awkward handy?

9 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Came from this article 

DJ Chark Jr. is a fascinating case. After a 1,000-yard season in 2019 with the Jaguars, he seemed poised to stardom but struggled with injury and performance over the next two years. (He's already moving well and running on that fractured left ankle suffered in October, so that shouldn't affect his free agency status.) One AFC exec questions whether Chark has what it takes to be great, saying the traits are there, but his fitness and nuanced route-running aren't where they could be. The Philadelphia Eagles could look to Chark if they need a deep threat to complement DeVonta Smith.

Watkins is a deep threat, and Smith was among the leaders in 20+ yard receptions.

We need a reliable possession receiver, with the move to two deep, don't give up the big play defense schemes, you need receivers who can get open and catch underneath, especially on 3rd downs.

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Did you at least get an awkward handy?

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Investing big money in a FA RB is a horrible idea. 

Fournettezzzz!!!!!

12 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

If you go home with a young lady (back in your single days)  that was digging you....and you almost get some........but don't.  Was it a success?  

Thats wrong. You take a lady home, but then Colangelo comes to your bedroom and swaps her out with some ugly chick and the plan is called off. You didnt fail. You just werent allowed to execute.

7 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Watkins is a deep threat, and Smith was among the leaders in 20+ yard receptions.

We need a reliable possession receiver, with the move to two deep, don't give up the big play defense schemes, you need receivers who can get open and catch underneath, especially on 3rd downs.

If Hurts is our starting QB going into the season, I dont think we'll see any two deep schemes against us. 

Archived