EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

39 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Ahhh....it's that time of the year where there will be 50 guys who can go in the first round and 20 guys who will go in the top 10.  :roll:

Honestly though... that's pretty close to accurate. 

If you aggregate all the lists out there... there likely close to 20 (though likely a bit lower) names that are going to be listed in the top 10 across all those prognosticators.  
Equally, if you somehow got a hold of all the NFL team rankings, I'd not be surprised to see 15 names as 'top 10' across all 32 franchises.  Similarly, since the first round is 32, and the talent pool usually flattens out somewhere in the late teens most years... the last half of the first round and the top half of round 2 are likely pretty close to interchangeable names.  Again, over the 32 franchises, if they had to list their top 32 names... you'd end with about 50 across the whole league.  

But, what we should be more interested in is the consensus top 10 and top 32.  There are always outliers where one team has a player ranked dramatically higher than the rest of the league, and that player ends up being a 'reach' according to most draftniks.   Baker Mayfield being the biggest example of that.  I don't think many if anyone actually had him as the top QB, let alone top player in that draft.  And yet... the Browns grabbed him #1.  :blink: 

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, RLC said:

Fair. His "Interview wasn't renewed" is more accurate. They still decided not to keep him...which should tell you something.

Could be he is too raw as a coach and needs to cut his teeth at a lower level as a position coach.  Could be Avant tried coaching and didn’t like it.  Could be they preferred another guy as the assistant WR coach.  Could be Avant didn’t want an assistant position coach job and the pay associated with it.  All kinds of reasons that he didn’t take the next step.  Most coaching interns are coaching at a lower level.  The one they brought in this year is a college coach. As far as I know, Avant isn’t coaching at any level.

51 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Ahhh....it's that time of the year where there will be 50 guys who can go in the first round and 20 guys who will go in the top 10.  :roll:

And only 1 year away from "I had a 1st Rd grade on him too”.

6 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Could be he is too raw as a coach and needs to cut his teeth at a lower level as a position coach.  Could be Avant tried coaching and didn’t like it.  Could be they preferred another guy as the assistant WR coach.  Could be Avant didn’t want an assistant position coach job and the pay associated with it.  All kinds of reasons that he didn’t take the next step.  Most coaching interns are coaching at a lower level.  The one they brought in this year is a college coach. As far as I know, Avant isn’t coaching at any level.

Nah.  The only explanation of anyone who is critical of Hurts' play is that they have a personal axe to grind.   No other explanation makes sense.  Hurts is a Pro Bowl alternate, after all.  Impressive stuff for a rookie QB.

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Oh yeah.  I can't wait until some posters start talking about their "boards".  

Would certainly explain some of Howie’s selections.

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Nah.  The only explanation of anyone who is critical of Hurts' play is that they have a personal axe to grind.   No other explanation makes sense.  Hurts is a Pro Bowl alternate, after all.  Impressive stuff for a rookie QB.

Incorrect! Next season will be Hurts' rookie year.

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

His point that WRs won't want to come to Philly because of Hurts is a complete joke.

It's the money that matters.

5 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Oh yeah.  I can't wait until some posters start talking about their "boards".  

and reviewing "film"

19 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Lateral move?  If so, I could see the Eagles saying no.

3 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

Incorrect! Next 2 seasons will be Hurts' rookie year.

fyp

Just now, RLC said:

His point that WRs won't want to come to Philly because of Hurts is a complete joke.

Nope.  What did Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith say about why they came to Philly before the 2017 season?   It wasn't just about the money... it was because they wanted to play with Wentz, who was a rising star at the time coming off an impressive rookie season.

QB play matters to WRs.   Money also matters.  So, the Eagles would likely have to overpay for the same level of WR that would likely take a little less to land in a more favorable offense for WRs.   WRs are generally a little diva-ish who want the ball thrown TO THEM, not just thrown.   They are players that generally prefer to go out on a route versus block for an outside zone run.  Are they going to be happy going to a team that's a 60+% run first team?  Not so much... they won't put up gawdy numbers, won't hit escalators in their contract for catches, yards, TDs, and won't get national recognition for Pro Bowls, etc.   Not a complete joke at all.  Dismissing it entirely is the joke.

23 minutes ago, RLC said:

21 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

And for the most part the money will be pretty close wherever they go.  If it's a younger guy and someone who would be working towards another deal down the road or a vet who would want to hit qualifiers in a contract, Hurts isn't their guy.  

Or a guy on a 1 year prove it deal.   They would need  catches to get the next deal.  

If QB is a consideration, the Eagles are a bottom 5 destination for a WR

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Nope.  What did Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith say about why they came to Philly before the 2017 season?   It wasn't just about the money... it was because they wanted to play with Wentz, who was a rising star at the time coming off an impressive rookie season.

Alshon got a 14M contract! That's not a discount. Torrey Smith was given solid money given his production.

Allen Robinson got paid to play with Trubisky. Jarvis Landry got paid to play with Tyrod Taylor. Robert Woods got paid to play with Goff coming off Goff's rookie year in which he was terrible. Robby Anderson got paid to play with Teddy Bridgewater. Corey Davis decided to hitch his wagon to Zach Wilson. Will Fuller went to Miami to play with a QB who couldn't throw deep.

It's the money that matters. Will a player take a *small* discount, sure. Ultimately, anyone we want we will get regardless of the QB. 

7 minutes ago, greend said:

and reviewing "film"

You never really looked at drafts the way Tommy (GoEagles99) and Matt A. (NDirish) did.  You watch games, not just highlights, you take notes and you don’t mock as much as build a board.  Now most don’t have access to coach film like Matt so we rely on what game film we can see. That’s not your thing, I get it and that is okay. But you really have no reason to mock folks that enjoy the process.  Think about the mocks you post with no information before you mock draft process of other posters. 

14 minutes ago, RLC said:

Alshon got a 14M contract! That's not a discount. Torrey Smith was given solid money given his production.

Allen Robinson got paid to play with Trubisky. Jarvis Landry got paid to play with Tyrod Taylor. Robert Woods got paid to play with Goff coming off Goff's rookie year in which he was terrible. Robby Anderson got paid to play with Teddy Bridgewater. Corey Davis decided to hitch his wagon to Zach Wilson. Will Fuller went to Miami to play with a QB who couldn't throw deep.

It's the money that matters. Will a player take a *small* discount, sure. Ultimately, anyone we want we will get regardless of the QB. 

In the case of Wentz, Trubisky, Goff and Zach Allen you're talking about #1 or #2 overall picks, where there was perceived potential for a big upside.  Hurts was a #53 overall pick and should have been drafted in the 3rd round.  It's not just that he doesn't read defenses or throw the ball well -- he doesn't possess the physical ability to throw the ball well and there's very little prospect for any meaningful improvement or development in the passing game.

Avant was 110% correct in what he said, in the context that Philly would not be any WR's first choice and they would be the 3rd target in a run-first offensive scheme.  The pay day they would receive in Philly would likely be their last contract of that size.  Will a FA WR come to Philly?  Quite likely -- but not an upper-tier one.

31 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Lateral move?  If so, I could see the Eagles saying no.

I don’t think they would. They let him interview last year for Assistant GM with the Panthers.

32 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

QB play matters to WRs.   Money also matters.  So, the Eagles would likely have to overpay for the same level of WR that would likely take a little less to land in a more favorable offense for WRs.   WRs are generally a little diva-ish who want the ball thrown TO THEM, not just thrown.   They are players that generally prefer to go out on a route versus block for an outside zone run.  Are they going to be happy going to a team that's a 60+% run first team?  Not so much... they won't put up gawdy numbers, won't hit escalators in their contract for catches, yards, TDs, and won't get national recognition for Pro Bowls, etc.   Not a complete joke at all.  Dismissing it entirely is the joke.

On the flipside, you'd think any FA RB would be in his agent's ear to come here....but that's not really the route we should go.

3 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

On the flipside, you'd think any FA RB would be in his agent's ear to come here....but that's not really the route we should go.

Agents when a RB calls them 

image.gif.42b0feb46fc47f20e52d0693c9cada28.gif

34 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Howie lets everyone interview as part of their training, but I'm curious whether he'll let him walk for free. 

Just now, Bacarty2 said:

I bet OBJ takes a monster discount to stay in LA with Mcvay/Stafford. 

Light and day difference outside of Cleveland, which in my opinion is a great comp to what we have going on here. 

Actually, some how, I think Baker is better than Hurts

If he does, Kupp/Beckham/Woods in slot/Van J is a potent 4some.

2 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

If I could resign OBJ for less than what woods is making I'd move on from Woods. 

Draft day trade for a 3rd or 4th rounder. 13M coming off an ACL in an offense where he's basically the 5th option. No thanks. 

When healthy with Beckham there, he's 4th option at worst behind Kupp/Beckham/RB. He's one of the most underrated players in the league IMO.

Archived