EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

2 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Haven't gotten past the 2nd round yet.  Embiid is great, but I would lean more towards it being a failure than a success.  Winning a playoff series isn't the ultimate goal.  

You have to factor in Colangelo’s ineptitude, though. The Process has survived that jackhole setting two extremely high #1 picks on fire. Hinkie’s vision was perfect. Those put in charge to finalize the beginning stages couldn’t have done a worse job.

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

On the flipside, you'd think any FA RB would be in his agent's ear to come here....but that's not really the route we should go.

Except for the fact the QB gets more carries than the RB would.

Jalen Hurts QB 15 15 139 784 5.6                
Miles Sanders RB 12 12 137 754 5.5

Guest justrelax

A propos of nothing in particular, I spent some time watching clips of Jason Kelce. So beautiful. Holds every time. Hands always inside and under his opponent's. Perfect leverage. Once he gets his hands in there it's over. He never skates or takes plays off, and he's so smart.

What a treat he has been. Hope he stays another year.

3 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Except for the fact the QB gets more carries than the RB would.

Jalen Hurts QB 15 15 139 784 5.6                
Miles Sanders RB 12 12 137 754 5.5

Well, if Sanders had stayed healthy he would have likely had more carries, but yes, your point is well taken. 

Hurts is not this awful QB some suggest:

QBR 19th, NY/A 13th, DVOA 17th, PFF 10th overall, 16th passing - pretty similar to Wentz for a lot less money and a lot fewer headaches.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2021-quarterback-rankings

Not bad for his first season as a starting QB.

Now how much can he improve?  That's the $64K question.

But we're rebuilding, unless you live in fantasy land where this team pulls off another 2017, no harm finding out while you build the rest of the roster.

PFF take on SMith, ranked 23rd among WRs:

The Eagles utilized Smith as a downfield threat, as he generated the sixth-highest average depth of target in the NFL (15.2 yards). He held up his end of the bargain with the fifth-most deep receptions (12) of over 20 yards downfield. Interestingly, the 2020 Heisman winner dominated on hitch routes this year. His receiving grade and 298 yards on hitch routes both ranked in the top three among wide receivers.

But, but his QB can't throw deep.

PFF OL rankings:

4. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (Up 5)

LT Jordan Mailata | 86.9
LG Landon Dickerson | 67.3
C Jason Kelce | 84.8
RG Jack Driscoll | 70.4
RT Lane Johnson | 82.4

The Eagles ended up using 15 different offensive linemen this season, so it’s not a surprise that it took them some time to process all the losses and get into their groove. But once this group was settled, it dominated and propelled the team back into playoff contention as the foundation of a potent ground game.

Jordan Mailata became one of the game’s best linemen this season, enough to make PFF’s All-Pro second team. Mailata allowed 20 pressures in 14 starts. Lane Johnson at right tackle did not surrender a sack in 13 games, and 34-year-old Jason Kelce at center just somehow continues to run block like no other.

Dickerson finished strong, but he had a rough start in pass protection. Not sure how much Driscoll can improve (and can he stay healthy?).

47 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

You never really looked at drafts the way Tommy (GoEagles99) and Matt A. (NDirish) did.  You watch games, not just highlights, you take notes and you don’t mock as much as build a board.  Now most don’t have access to coach film like Matt so we rely on what game film we can see. That’s not your thing, I get it and that is okay. But you really have no reason to mock folks that enjoy the process.  Think about the mocks you post with no information before you mock draft process of other posters. 

How about I'm mocking people that call it "film" like it's coaching "film", which it isn't. Didn't think I had to clarify that. My post was pretty straight forward. 

@justrelax

Curious on you take on Jack Anderson.  My recollection from last year’s draft was that i thought he played high at Texas Tech and while good feet, wasn’t solid in his anchor.  A RG at TT so that downgraded him for me as to versatility.   Interestingly, the Eagles have him listed as a C/G.  He can pull. Gs have to at Tech.  I will be interested in seeing what Stout taught him and what a year in a pro strength and training program does for him.  Eagles poached him when Buffalo cut him.  Nothing stood out for me in the practice squad game.  

His pro day information isn’t great.  31.88” arms but also 10” hands. Almost 6’5” at 314, which is probably why he seems to play high to me.  5.27 40, but I really look at splits,for interior line, 1.78 ten yard is a bit slow.  A 7.88 three cone but a stiff 6’5” G isn’t going to have stellar number. So faster in the 40 than Herbig but same 10 yard split. But better in the short shuttle and three cone.  Interestingly, the thing I liked with Herbig as a slug UDFA is his feet and he could anchor.  Both have good footwork, which I think may be something Stout looks for in prospects.  Yet Opeta played over him and I really don’t like Opeta’s inability to consistently anchor. Interesting that Toth and apparently Anderson are being asked to learn C but not Opeta.  I wonder if Anderson offers much as a potential back up C/G   Eagles protected him on the roster as opposed to Toth, Opeta (initially) and Awosika.  

There is this theory by some in here, of why "waste” a first on Kenyon Green.  Give Stout a later round prospect and he will build a high quality OL.  He has to have good clay.  Green is great clay.  He has good clay in Toth, Herbig, Anderson and Driscoll (albeit fragile) and that might develop spot starters but do we really want good or great.  But we do need good back ups.

34 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

On the flipside, you'd think any FA RB would be in his agent's ear to come here....but that's not really the route we should go.

Depends on the price. We need a power back, especially one who can pass block as well, Howard is damaged goods.

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

That's all fine and good.  That doesn't mean it was a success.  

We’re going to have to agree to disagree.

The Process is at the halfway mark and the Sixers have arguably the best player in the NBA.

10 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Hurts is not this awful QB some suggest:

QBR 19th, NY/A 13th, DVOA 17th, PFF 10th overall, 16th passing - pretty similar to Wentz for a lot less money and a lot fewer headaches.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2021-quarterback-rankings

Not bad for his first season as a starting QB.

Now how much can he improve?  That's the $64K question.

But we're rebuilding, unless you live in fantasy land where this team pulls off another 2017, no harm finding out while you build the rest of the roster.

PFF take on SMith, ranked 23rd among WRs:

The Eagles utilized Smith as a downfield threat, as he generated the sixth-highest average depth of target in the NFL (15.2 yards). He held up his end of the bargain with the fifth-most deep receptions (12) of over 20 yards downfield. Interestingly, the 2020 Heisman winner dominated on hitch routes this year. His receiving grade and 298 yards on hitch routes both ranked in the top three among wide receivers.

But, but his QB can't throw deep.

PFF OL rankings:

4. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (Up 5)

LT Jordan Mailata | 86.9
LG Landon Dickerson | 67.3
C Jason Kelce | 84.8
RG Jack Driscoll | 70.4
RT Lane Johnson | 82.4

The Eagles ended up using 15 different offensive linemen this season, so it’s not a surprise that it took them some time to process all the losses and get into their groove. But once this group was settled, it dominated and propelled the team back into playoff contention as the foundation of a potent ground game.

Jordan Mailata became one of the game’s best linemen this season, enough to make PFF’s All-Pro second team. Mailata allowed 20 pressures in 14 starts. Lane Johnson at right tackle did not surrender a sack in 13 games, and 34-year-old Jason Kelce at center just somehow continues to run block like no other.

Dickerson finished strong, but he had a rough start in pass protection. Not sure how much Driscoll can improve (and can he stay healthy?).

C'mon man, enough with this nonsense. 

5 minutes ago, SB52 said:

We’re going to have to agree to disagree.

The Process is at the halfway mark and the Sixers have arguably the best player in the NBA.

The Process would look better if they made better picks.  Embiid and Simmons were fine, Okafor and Fultz were terrible picks.  You can't mess up when you're picking #1 and #3

6 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Depends on the price. We need a power back, especially one who can pass block as well, Howard is damaged goods.

Yes I agree we need a "power" back. Just a guy who is always moving forward. I'd be fine if we cleaned out the RB stable, sign D'Ernest Johnson, keep Gainwell, and draft Haskins from Michigan.

2 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

C'mon man, enough with this nonsense. 

He offered you $64K.  All you had to do was answer "Not Much"

Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Man.  Drove over that bridge on a few occasions.  Hope all is well.  

Damn, those people's insurance rates will go thru the roof for this!

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Oh, cool, PFF. We're also the 8th best team in the NFL in PFF's eyes. Sure looked like it 2 weeks ago.

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

We weren't 8th best in the NFC.  

We had the Bucs on the ropes. Look at how they responded the next week against LA. We gave Brady such a crushing victory he's thinking about retiring!

8 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

The Process would look better if they made better picks.  Embiid and Simmons were fine, Okafor and Fultz were terrible picks.  You can't mess up when you're picking #1 and #3

Imagine them with porzingis and tatum…

4 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Nope, they will go up though(still waiting for my apology)

Why do you continue not responding to my post, that my wife’s car was stolen two years ago, was involved in a collision with a police cruiser, and our insurance has not gone up one penny.

@TorontoEagle This is how you know the guy is a fraud, because he keeps not responding to this

54 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Investing big money in a FA RB is a horrible idea. 

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

Why do you continue not responding to my post, that my wife’s car was stolen two years ago, was involved in a collision with a police cruiser, and our insurance has not gone up one penny.

@TorontoEagle This is how you know the guy is a fraud, because he keeps not responding to this

It seems some companies increase rates from one singular comp claim, but even then it's like $5/year. Most companies don't, and certainly here in Ontario, none do that I know of. As I said yesterday, if your insurance company increases your rate from one singular comp claim, you gotta move companies. As somebody who sells insurance, he should know that, but alas....anyway, I don't want to drag us into another insurance discussion today, so I'll leave it at that. 

41 minutes ago, RLC said:

OBJ can stay in LA, get paid by the Chargers and get an upgrade at QB.

So... what you are saying is the QB does matter.  🤔

Archived