****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

I watched the last 25 of the USWNT game today.  They look old and tired at some of the key positions.  Particularly both Rapinoe and Morgan look like they need to be put out to pasture.  Very likely we get an immediate bounce in the knockouts.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2023 at 3:05 PM, DaEagles4Life said:

This is a shocker 

Looks like Musah is going to be joining him in Milan. That team has the potential to be pretty darn fun over the next 3 years.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Woman's team sucks and hope they lose soon. The old guard is holding them back. 

Probably need to recruit some young dudes willing to identify as babes

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

They've got youth in Sophia Smith and Trinity Rodman, even Lavelle and Mallory (Pugh) Swanson are still fairly young, they just don't have a coach that knows wtf he's doing. Morgan is fine, she was the best player on the field against the Netherlands but she probably could've used a spell towards the end of that game, he just refused to use his subs which is real dumb. Not starting Lavelle was puzzling too when she's clearly the best midfielder. 

They can still beat Sweden but it'll be real tough without Lavelle and with a coach that is an absolute clown show.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, greenskeeper said:

Rapinoe = turd

You spanking to pics of her, ain't ya?

• Haha 1

On 8/1/2023 at 8:33 AM, we_gotta_believe said:

They've got youth in Sophia Smith and Trinity Rodman, even Lavelle and Mallory (Pugh) Swanson are still fairly young, they just don't have a coach that knows wtf he's doing. Morgan is fine, she was the best player on the field against the Netherlands but she probably could've used a spell towards the end of that game, he just refused to use his subs which is real dumb. Not starting Lavelle was puzzling too when she's clearly the best midfielder. 

They can still beat Sweden but it'll be real tough without Lavelle and with a coach that is an absolute clown show.

Rose suffered a knee injury in April vs. Ireland. That's why she came in as a sub at the start of World Cup, and she seemed to struggle some at the end of 90 minutes vs. Portugal. But yeah, she's the biggest playmaker US has right now. She's out on yellows vs. Sweden. US is still the stronger team, they have a deep bench, but somebody else has to step up to beat Sweden. At least somebody finally told Vlatko he's allowed to use his subs. So that's good, I guess.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, toolg said:

Rose suffered a knee injury in April vs. Ireland. That's why she came in as a sub at the start of World Cup, and she seemed to struggle some at the end of 90 minutes vs. Portugal. But yeah, she's the biggest playmaker US has right now. She's out on yellows vs. Sweden. US is still the stronger team, they have a deep bench, but somebody else has to step up to beat Sweden. At least somebody finally told Vlatko he's allowed to use his subs. So that's good, I guess.

Yep, but the depth means squat if he refuses to actually F'ing use it. I swear, he's gotta be the worst manager in the team's history. I will say this though, if they do beat Sweden on Sunday, I still think they become the first soccer team ever to win 3 world cups in succession. 

My feeling is that Sweden takes them out. Hopefully I’m wrong. 

I feel like they’ve struggled in all 3 of their matches. 

1 minute ago, LacesOut said:

My feeling is that Sweden takes them out. Hopefully I’m wrong. 

I feel like they’ve struggled in all 3 of their matches. 

That's because they absolutely have. They should've blown the doors off of Vietnam, only getting 3 goals was a joke, and they were incredibly lucky to simply draw against Portugal, which they should've beat 3-0. Their best game was against the Netherlands, but still massively underachieving despite coming away with 1 point.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

That's because they absolutely have. They should've blown the doors off of Vietnam, only getting 3 goals was a joke, and they were incredibly lucky to simply draw against Portugal, which they should've beat 3-0. Their best game was against the Netherlands, but still massively underachieving despite coming away with 1 point.

I bet 7-0 and 8-0 vs Vietnam after first game you knew they could be in trouble 

The entire US team vibe just seems off.  I think there is some internal trouble that hasn't surfaced yet.  They just look like dog sheet.

Sweden isn't a great top two side but they are just below that and they are very organized, disciplined, and consistent.  They usually give the US trouble as well.  It isn't a good matchup for the US even when the US are playing well.

US team played its best of the entire tourney but then fluffs the pks.  A fitting ending for this group.

2 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

US team played its best of the entire tourney but then fluffs the pks.  A fitting ending for this group.

I can't say I was rooting for them because of the old guard. 

Rapinoe looking like a pile of crap soooooooooo shocked. 

38 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Rapinoe looking like a pile of crap soooooooooo shocked

Yeah, her days were over a while back and she was nothing but dog meat in this tourney.  Add to the fact that she certainly wasn't a unifying figure in the locker room this time around and it is easy to make the case that she shouldn't have had a spot on the team.

• Like 1

Tough way to crash out. Literally by the slimmest of margins possible. Sweden's keeper was the hero of the game. She'll need to do it again against Japan too who are looking clinical against every time they've faced.

2 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

Yeah, her days were over a while back and she was nothing but dog meat in this tourney.  Add to the fact that she certainly wasn't a unifying figure in the locker room this time around and it is easy to make the case that she shouldn't have had a spot on the team.

I think with Rapinoe still there and with how self absorbed she is that she tried being the alpha in the room instead of handing off to the younger leaders. She shouldn't have made the squad 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, devpool said:

I think with Rapinoe still there and with how self absorbed she is that she tried being the alpha in the room instead of handing off to the younger leaders. She shouldn't have made the squad 

Yes, plus there are certainly player/coaches on that team that don't agree with her trans stance.  That issue can't have been good for team harmony.

• Like 1

Four goals in four matches?? Wretched.

But, conversely, the Defensive side only let in one goal over four matches.

Yep Rapinoe should have NEVER been on this WC Team.