****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

i'm sure rapinoe will blame the horrific patriarchic society in the u.s. for the loss. 

On 8/6/2023 at 9:16 PM, DaEagles4Life said:

If I was on the men’s team I would demand total segregation of earnings and distribution. What a joke.

• Haha 1

On 8/6/2023 at 6:26 PM, DrPhilly said:

Yes, plus there are certainly player/coaches on that team that don't agree with her trans stance.  That issue can't have been good for team harmony.

Absolute horseshit, the fact is America is on a downward trajectory because a) they're still picking players like Ertz, Rapinoe and Morgan who are all past their best and b) They draw almost all their players from a domestic league which was once the best organised in the World but is now being caught and passed by European leagues that play in continent wide competition which is rapidly driving up the quality of the players.

Rapinoe is simply a lightning rod for the failure because she very publicly holds views that are the bete noire of exactly the sort of right wing blowhards the American news media still reliably churns out at an elite world class level.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Absolute horseshit, the fact is America is on a downward trajectory because a) they're still picking players like Ertz, Rapinoe and Morgan who are all past their best and b) They draw almost all their players from a domestic league which was once the best organised in the World but is now being caught and passed by European leagues that play in continent wide competition which is rapidly driving up the quality of the players.

Rapinoe is simply a lightning rod for the failure because she very publicly holds views that are the bete noire of exactly the sort of right wing blowhards the American news media still reliably churns out at an elite world class level.

I’m not blaming Rapinoe specifically but she was part of the problem for multiple reasons. Her play to start which I led with many posts back AND included Morgan’s play as well. So I agree with you but but also assert that the harmony on this team in the locker room wasn’t up to the normal USWNT levels. They themselves said they didn’t do things together off the pitch which is one example. There were many issues in play. 

• Haha 1

Man Utd is on a heater this transfer window after selling Harry to West Ham. ETH is getting what he wants. 

1 hour ago, DrPhilly said:

I’m not blaming Rapinoe specifically but she was part of the problem for multiple reasons. Her play to start which I led with many posts back AND included Morgan’s play as well. So I agree with you but but also assert that the harmony on this team in the locker room wasn’t up to the normal USWNT levels. They themselves said they didn’t do things together off the pitch which is one example. There were many issues in play. 

Alex Morgan has been highly highly overrated for team US. She hasn't been even a good goal scorer during her WC appearances. 

Fire the coach and tell the old guard thanks for playing but never again. 

• Like 1

USL Championship side Sacramento Republic signed 13-year-old Da'vian Kimbrough on Tuesday and made U.S. soccer history in the process.

32 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Alex Morgan has been highly highly overrated for team US. She hasn't been even a good goal scorer during her WC appearances. 

Fire the coach and tell the old guard thanks for playing but never again. 

Yep, time for a new generation. That is where we started this discussion many posts back. 

8 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

Yep, time for a new generation. That is where we started this discussion many posts back. 

The number of players with over a 100 appearances is insane, Rapinoe and Morgan should both have hung up their cleats in 2019, gone out at the top,  Ertz has played as many international games in 2023 as she has club games in 2021, '22 and '23 combined it's ridiculous she even went to the World Cup, and Sauerbrunn would absolutely have been there is she hadn't been injured, so it would have been 2 players over 35, you can't have that. Kristine Lilly's appearances record will never be broken, and it shouldn't be for any team that wants to compete at the highest level.

The World Cup comes around every 4 years, you can't just keep giving the same players the chance to defend their title, that's not how it works, you have to keep refreshing the squad.

Andonovski isn't good enough or brave enough and he's tried to coast on the back of Jill Ellis' work, the US Women's Team coaching gig in 2019 should've been the most coveted job in womens football, and they just handed it to some guy who was coaching WNSL, I appreciate that Riley who was probably the outstanding candidate from the WNSL had huge red flags even then, but they should have cast the net wider.

• Like 1

American sports news media is overwhelmingly liberal.  This has been proven.

People just dont like having fringe politics shoved in their faces, especially when youre playing for the US National Team.  Hello???

If you want to protest the US, try not playing on the national team.   You wanna kneel during the anthem for your club team, have at it.

But its totally tone deaf and inappropriate when youre across the field from Iran or whatever, whose women actually struggle with human rights, to do some stupid protest because you have first world problems.

Sorry but I dont blame anyone who decided not to support the team due to their embrace of Rapinoe and her nonsense.

And no way, the USSF made a piss-poor hire???  Im stunned.

I cant wait til they fire that guy, hire a search firm, and then 7 months later select one of the guy's previous staff members as his successor.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The number of players with over a 100 appearances is insane, Rapinoe and Morgan should both have hung up their cleats in 2019, gone out at the top,  Ertz has played as many international games in 2023 as she has club games in 2021, '22 and '23 combined it's ridiculous she even went to the World Cup, and Sauerbrunn would absolutely have been there is she hadn't been injured, so it would have been 2 players over 35, you can't have that. Kristine Lilly's appearances record will never be broken, and it shouldn't be for any team that wants to compete at the highest level.

The World Cup comes around every 4 years, you can't just keep giving the same players the chance to defend their title, that's not how it works, you have to keep refreshing the squad.

Andonovski isn't good enough or brave enough and he's tried to coast on the back of Jill Ellis' work, the US Women's Team coaching gig in 2019 should've been the most coveted job in womens football, and they just handed it to some guy who was coaching WNSL, I appreciate that Riley who was probably the outstanding candidate from the WNSL had huge red flags even then, but they should have cast the net wider.

Yes, I agree with all of this.  Having said that, Ertz played pretty well. The others not so much.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mike31mt said:

People just dont like having fringe politics shoved in their faces, especially when youre playing for the US National Team.  Hello???

If you want to protest the US, try not playing on the national team.   You wanna kneel during the anthem for your club team, have at it.

But its totally tone deaf and inappropriate when youre across the field from Iran or whatever, whose women actually struggle with human rights, to do some stupid protest because you have first world problems.

Sorry but I dont blame anyone who decided not to support the team due to their embrace of Rapinoe and her nonsense.

I cant wait til they fire that guy, hire a search firm, and then 7 months later select one of the guy's previous staff members as his successor.

Actually all research shows the vast majority of people don't give much of a hoot one way or the other, most people have a definition of patriotism more nuanced than "Does the player sing the National Anthem with sufficient gusto to avoid an angry tweet from Megyn Kelly".

The whole thing around Trans rights is exactly the same as the furore around BLM a few years back, gay rights in the 80's and Civil Rights in the 60's, the silent majority that the media always bang on about being oppressed are far more often than not perfectly content to live and let live and the whole issue is a few media owners and politicians using their national platforms to whip up a far from silent minority to make a fuss and create a wedge issue out of nothing.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The whole thing around Trans rights

Generally for Trans rights yes but specifically for adult males who are trans women playing womens' sports no.  The vast majority of people aren't going to support that concept.

3 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Actually all research shows the vast majority of people don't give much of a hoot one way or the other, most people have a definition of patriotism more nuanced than "Does the player sing the National Anthem with sufficient gusto to avoid an angry tweet from Megyn Kelly".

The whole thing around Trans rights is exactly the same as the furore around BLM a few years back, gay rights in the 80's and Civil Rights in the 60's, the silent majority that the media always bang on about being oppressed are far more often than not perfectly content to live and let live and the whole issue is a few media owners and politicians using their national platforms to whip up a far from silent minority to make a fuss and create a wedge issue out of nothing.

Yeah the silent majority of US citizens who dial in to watch their national team represent our country dont want to have wild political messages and displays shoved in our faces.

It's literally our national team. If they are so against the US, why put on the shirt and play for the US?

Its a slap in the face and no, trans rights are nothing at all like civil rights in the 60s or gay rights in the 80s.  BLM is a grifting fring/terrorist group at this point so that's probably the closest.

Youre acting like its unreasonable for people to expect the athletes playing for our nations team to not actively crap on the nation.

• Haha 1

I swear it's like some of you are watching different games than what's being broadcast on TV. From every game I saw, not a single player kneeled during the anthem. The "protest" is now reduced to standing for the anthem but not singing along. If that makes you mad to the point where you actually want them to lose, then you don't even care about watching soccer, politics is the only sport you care about. Wentz had some personal beliefs that were discordant with my own but I never wanted him or the team to lose because I'm not a F'ing weirdo.

As for their play on the field, yes Rapinoe was garbage. A far fall from grace for who used to be one of the best players in the world. Call it arrogance, being distracted, or just time catching up with her, doesn't matter, she shouldn't have been out there, period.

But both Morgan and Ertz were fine and held their own. Ertz was even playing a bit out of position at CB to boot. And as for Morgan, she was the best player on the field against the Netherlands, and it's not exactly like anyone else on the front line was setting the world on fire. I'm not a fan of playing with a 4-3-3 with this group, but while Smith, Williams, and Rodman looked promising, they weren't playing at a level demanding they all get starts over Morgan. Our best forward (Pugh) was hurt and so was Press, so we really didn't have another striker that could unseat Morgan in the lineup. I think the only other forward on the roster was the 18 year old that we never even saw touch the ball. Which is part of the other problem, this moron doesn't use subs so the kids don't get game time to get that critical experience in international play. 

• Like 1

Morgan needed more help up top.  She did ok.  Agree that Ertz played well.  Rapinoe getting subbed in for Morgan probably was a mistake against Sweden.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mike31mt said:

My god.  S T F U

:roll: 

19 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

Generally for Trans rights yes but specifically for adult males who are trans women playing womens' sports no.  The vast majority of people aren't going to support that concept.

You gonna still **** when a USWNT full of trans women wins the next five World Cups???

Courtois tore his ACL in practice today, and Guler has to have meniscus surgery…

Not looking good for Madrid’s chances at silverware.

I do hope we let Lunin start at GK instead of signing someone. He’s very talented and has been patient waiting for his time.

2 hours ago, Dave Moss said:

You gonna still **** when a USWNT full of trans women wins the next five World Cups???

Our men can't win the men's world cup, maybe they can win the women's world cup!  PRIDE is now defined as men pretending to be women doing things better than women and blocking women from opportunities.

• Haha 1