****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

1 hour ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Woodward is an idiot. It's clear, pay the 100 million pounds or move on. Matt Judge and him are a bunch of buffoons 

You know what? I think this supposed bid is just to try and show that they did try and they did make a bid but Dortmund were unreasonable. Bunch of idiots.

20 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You know what? I think this supposed bid is just to try and show that they did try and they did make a bid but Dortmund were unreasonable. Bunch of idiots.

I have checked everyday and never saw where a bid was placed. Dortmund have stated 100 and nothing less. I have read Sancho and Man Utd have agreed to terms 

They are now on option 4 or 5 with RW and end up with no one. Will be a mid tier club fighting for 4th place as long as the Glazers own the club, just reality. 

23 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

They are now on option 4 or 5 with RW and end up with no one. Will be a mid tier club fighting for 4th place as long as the Glazers own the club, just reality. 

Yep that's the reality that United fans have to accept. 

On 9/30/2020 at 11:21 AM, DaEagles4Life said:

On 9/30/2020 at 11:44 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yep that's the reality that United fans have to accept. 

If that’s Real’s Jovic, he’s a pure striker, definitely not a winger. And much more of a poacher than a 9 1/2 like Benzema. Jovic’s value is in drawing the defense’s attention from the wide players and midfield and scoring "ugly” goals off crosses, deflections etc. He would make no sense of United wants to strengthen its wings unless it means United can move another player from striker to the wing.

I will say, he looked great last game. Didn’t score, but was dangerous and deserved at least one goal from a great header which was denied by brilliant goalkeeping. The talent is definitely there to be an impact player at the highest levels. He’s just not someone you want out wide or creating. He’s a pure finisher.

3 minutes ago, TEW said:

If that’s Real’s Jovic, he’s a pure striker, definitely not a winger. And much more of a poacher than a 9 1/2 like Benzema. Jovic’s value is in drawing the defense’s attention from the wide players and midfield and scoring "ugly” goals off crosses, deflections etc. He would make no sense of United wants to strengthen its wings unless it means United can move another player from striker to the wing.

I will say, he looked great last game. Didn’t score, but was dangerous and deserved at least one goal from a great header which was denied by brilliant goalkeeping. The talent is definitely there to be an impact player at the highest levels. He’s just not someone you want out wide or creating. He’s a pure finisher.

He was offered to a few clubs but no one bit

Kind of an aside... I really see no benefit for a team like United to bring in a player on loan to start the season unless it comes with an option to buy.

Mid season, sure, maybe you loan a talented player from another club to cover for an injury, but just from a pure financial perspective it makes no sense to bring in a player on big wages, give them game time, and either suffer with poor performance or watch their great play benefit another club. It’s not as if there are no talented wingers in the world. It’s not as if United lack the money to bring in a talented winger. Just doesn’t make sense in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

He was offered to a few clubs but no one bit

A lot of Italian clubs were rumored to be interested. Honestly I’m happy if he stays. Can’t count on Benzema to be your primary goal scorer even though he was great last season. Jovic is a potential decisive match winner. And with Madrid having lots of creative players but not so many with proven end product, I hope he stays.

6 hours ago, TEW said:

It makes no sense to me either. Like you say he's a striker. United need a RW because they have striking options. Martial is their main striker but they can also use Rashford there and also Greenwood is eventually going to play centrally as that's where he's best. 

Going to be quite interesting to see how it pans out for Manu this year.  I think we need to give it some time to figure it out.

Same for Chelsea.  The settling in is far from complete yet and they've really been up and down a lot so far.  The players they've brought in do look good though. Chiwell played an excellent game yesterday and Havertz seems to be getting comfortable.  It was also nice to see Mende as the keeper instead of Kepa (poor guy).  Ziyech hasn't been cleared to play yet and Pulisic made his first appearance subbing on for the last 10.  Silva looks to have helped solidify the back line.  Then there's my favorite new face Werner who looks very dangerous every time he touches the ball.  Tons of change so it will take time but so far so good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

Going to be quite interesting to see how it pans out for Manu this year.  I think we need to give it some time to figure it out.

Same for Chelsea.  The settling in is far from complete yet and they've really been up and down a lot so far.  The players they've brought in do look good though. Chiwell played an excellent game yesterday and Havertz seems to be getting comfortable.  It was also nice to see Mende as the keeper instead of Kepa (poor guy).  Ziyech hasn't been cleared to play yet and Pulisic made his first appearance subbing on for the last 10.  Silva looks to have helped solidify the back line.  Then there's my favorite new fact Werner who looks very dangerous every time he touches the ball.  Tons of change so it will take time but so far so good.

I have to be honest... I hope United fall flat on their faces. The way that club is being run is a joke. They've absolutely let their fans down this summer and quite honestly they should fail to get top 4 this year. 

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I have to be honest... I hope United fall flat on their faces. The way that club is being run is a joke. They've absolutely let their fans down this summer and quite honestly they should fail to get top 4 this year. 

Well, they’re certainly falling flat on their faces today...

United are in a tough spot. Every year the brand loses drawing power for recruiting. They’ll always have money, but they’re now firmly the second best team in "the other city” of England.

They better get some signings right because they are in real danger of becoming a second tier team in European football.

4 hours ago, TEW said:

Well, they’re certainly falling flat on their faces today...

United are in a tough spot. Every year the brand loses drawing power for recruiting. They’ll always have money, but they’re now firmly the second best team in "the other city” of England.

They better get some signings right because they are in real danger of becoming a second tier team in European football.

They are in a tough spot of their own making. 

All the things they say, they think they are still a top club. All of their actions and results show they are not. 

Take that Regullion situation as an example. United refused to do business with Real as they weren't happy with the buy back clause. Why? Because they don't want to appear as Real's b!+ch. But simply United aren't on the same level as Real and they need to bring in good players to build back up. 

They will bring in Cavani tomorrow. What a freaking joke. So Cavani and Van De Beek? What a disgraceful summer. Poor Ole.

8 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

They are in a tough spot of their own making. 

All the things they say, they think they are still a top club. All of their actions and results show they are not. 

Take that Regullion situation as an example. United refused to do business with Real as they weren't happy with the buy back clause. Why? Because they don't want to appear as Real's b!+ch. But simply United aren't on the same level as Real and they need to bring in good players to build back up. 

They will bring in Cavani tomorrow. What a freaking joke. So Cavani and Van De Beek? What a disgraceful summer. Poor Ole.

I actually kind of agree with the move on Reg. The problem is they didn’t bring in their own young talent to develop.

Cavani isn’t bad as a backup. I would have been fine with him at Madrid if we loaned Jovic. No transfer fee, a 1 or 2 year deal... he can bag you some goals. 

The bigger issue is that there doesn’t seem to be a rebuild plan in place. United have a couple nice young pieces, but it isn’t nearly enough to see them breaking through in the next two seasons.

• Like 1

Just now, TEW said:

The bigger issue is that there doesn’t seem to be a rebuild plan in place. United have a couple nice young pieces, but it isn’t nearly enough to see them breaking through in the next two seasons.

I have a few ideas and opinions on United on their situation if you're happy to listen? 😁

• Haha 1

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I have a few ideas and opinions on United on their situation if you're happy to listen? 😁

Feel free!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TEW said:

Feel free!

The only way out of this situation is to become a mid table irrelevant team for a couple of years. 

The Glazers invest just enough to keep them in the top 4 hunt but the year after they get CL football they don't back the manager. They did it with LVG, Jose and now Ole. 

The problem is the owners. And whilst the club makes them money and pays their quarterly dividend they aren't going anywhere. And that means Ed Woodward isn't going anywhere nor Matt Judge.

I feel sorry for Ole but I think he should walk. I know he won't do that but he should. I think it would make a really big statement about the state of the club and how things are run. And I think that's what is needed because the club are going nowhere fast. 

The Glazers are happy to get CL football every couple of years and the odd cup run or trophy here and there. That means the club keep their global presence and the sponsorship deals keep coming their way. 

Then Woodward and Matt Judge, man in charge of transfers, are just businessmen and have zero connection to soccer or the club. 

Crushing Evra because you can see what the club means to him, but Glazers will just never stand it or care too

• Like 1

Always tough down a man but that was an arse whooping beat down

2 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

Always tough down a man but that was an arse whooping beat down

I think that's an excuse though to be honest. When you go down a man, and you are only a goal down at the time, you fight and you reorganise. You keep things tight, you take no risks and you see if you can get to the last 20 minutes just a goal down. Then you go for it. Ole did none of that. He left Pogba on the field who quite frankly was disgracefully bad and looked like he couldn't give a monkeys (here we go again).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think that's an excuse though to be honest. When you go down a man, and you are only a goal down at the time, you fight and you reorganise. You keep things tight, you take no risks and you see if you can get to the last 20 minutes just a goal down. Then you go for it. Ole did none of that. He left Pogba on the field who quite frankly was disgracefully bad and looked like he couldn't give a monkeys (here we go again).

Yes

31 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

Yes

I think Ole is out of his depth but then at the same time he hasn't been backed fairly this summer.

Is Gio Reyna going to be better than Pulisic? 

17 and starting for one of the three best clubs for developing talent, Dortmund. 

19 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Is Gio Reyna going to be better than Pulisic? 

17 and starting for one of the three best clubs for developing talent, Dortmund. 

I haven't seen him yet but the press reports are extremely encouraging.  His father is arguably the GOAT in US soccer.  He is certainly in the mix in any case.