****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

6 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Love this from Ole 

However, the Manchester United coach was not done with his remarks there as he passed a savage dig at his arch-rivals Manchester City. "How we run the club and how other clubs run, there are different business models. I have started buying electric cars! That is all I want to say about that situation," said the Red Devils boss.

Very clever comment for sure. Ole may want to focus on his own team though. He's out of his depth. 

I watched Arsenal Chelsea yesterday. Two observations. First, Arsenal 11 is pedestrian. Mid table team. Second, Lukaku is a stud physically. If he can convert his chances Chelsea will have a real shot should City stumble. Of course so will LPool and United. 

2 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

I watched Arsenal Chelsea yesterday. Two observations. First, Arsenal 11 is pedestrian. Mid table team. Second, Lukaku is a stud physically. If he can convert his chances Chelsea will have a real shot should City stumble. Of course so will LPool and United. 

Well, we'll get an early season test Saturday when Chelsea and Liverpool meet.  And after 2 games they are both at the top of the table with 6 points and a +5 GD.  Should be a cracker.  My concern is Chelsea's MF overrunning the Liverpool MF.  Otherwise they are pretty evenly matched.  The one area we needed improvement most and we didn't bring in anyone to strengthen our MF.  This could be a problem in matches like this, lacking that dynamic player in the MF.

17 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

Well, we'll get an early season test Saturday when Chelsea and Liverpool meet.  And after 2 games they are both at the top of the table with 6 points and a +5 GD.  Should be a cracker.  My concern is Chelsea's MF overrunning the Liverpool MF.  Otherwise they are pretty evenly matched.  The one area we needed improvement most and we didn't bring in anyone to strengthen our MF.  This could be a problem in matches like this, lacking that dynamic player in the MF.

I think the home field advantage will be the decisive factor.  I'll be happy with a competitive Chelsea but of course would like to steal a point.

3 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

Lukaku has always struggled with his first touch and will be games where it will drive you crazy 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Lukaku has always struggled with his first touch and will be games where it will drive you crazy 

He's still going to be the difference for Chelsea this year though. I still can't quite understand why United aren't going all out for Kane to tell the truth. 

1 hour ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Can’t be half as bad as Werner (Shaun Wright Phillips x2). Plus we’ve had Lukaku before so we know. 

48 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He's still going to be the difference for Chelsea this year though. I still can't quite understand why United aren't going all out for Kane to tell the truth. 

Money. Martial sucks and was rumors an Italian team wanted him for 40 million. Should have shipped him off and moved Greenwood to the top. 

• Like 1

Mbappe might move to Madrid this summer after all. Reports coming out the he has turned down all last minute extension offers from PSG, and they are now willing to sell rather than risk losing him on a free. :drool: :excited: 

This is coming from RMC in France (reliable) Marca in Spain (reliable) and Jose Felix Diaz (basically the Woj of Spanish soccer).

Obviously a very complex deal to get done in a week, but it looks like it just may happen.

Would also keep an eye on Ronaldo. If reports are true that he wants out of Juve, he’s the one guy who might help PSG save face in this situation. The only other would be Haaland, but that seems unlikely. Plus it’s been reported that he already has a deal worked out with Madrid himself and will sign next summer...

22 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Money. Martial sucks and was rumors an Italian team wanted him for 40 million. Should have shipped him off and moved Greenwood to the top. 

If money is the truth (and I think we know it is) then it goes to show the Glazers have no actual interest in winning trophies with United. 

PSG finally publicly admits Mbappe wants Real Madrid. 6 days left in the window. They’re demanding more than the €160M that was offered. I think the deal gets done before the deadline.

• Like 1

His Euros performance was down right pitiful  and sure he will turn it around, but to me Haaland passed him as best young soccer player in the world. And Pedri at 18 went out and looked like Iniesta. 

What happens with Vinícius Jr? Who is a left winger as well. 

17 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

His Euros performance was down right pitiful  and sure he will turn it around, but to me Haaland passed him as best young soccer player in the world. And Pedri at 18 went out and looked like Iniesta. 

What happens with Vinícius Jr? Who is a left winger as well. 

The comparisons are inevitable, but to me Mbappe and Haaland are different players. Mbappe has a more well rounded game as far as dribbling, passing, control in tight spaces, etc. while Haaland is the epitome of a bigger/stronger/faster type of athlete with an unbelievable ability to finish. I’m kind of with you though that to score so many goals at such a young age makes me lean towards Haaland.

FWIW, I really do think Madrid signs both players. Haaland supposedly already has a contract worked out with Madrid and Dortmund has a very close business relationship with Madrid. Madrid will probably overpay Dortmund and throw in some extra cash on top of the release clause so everyone is happy. A small price to pay IMO.

As far as Vinicius, I think we will play somewhat of a hybrid 4-4-2 with Benz and Mbappe up top and Vini/Hazard in a sort of ball carrying role on the left flank. The bigger question to me is what to do with Rodrygo who is every bit as talented as Vini. With Hazard and Vini plus Asensio there is a log jam on the wings. Maybe Mbappe plays RW, or maybe Rodrygo takes that backup position. In any case, it’s a good problem to have.

41 minutes ago, TEW said:

The comparisons are inevitable, but to me Mbappe and Haaland are different players. Mbappe has a more well rounded game as far as dribbling, passing, control in tight spaces, etc. while Haaland is the epitome of a bigger/stronger/faster type of athlete with an unbelievable ability to finish. I’m kind of with you though that to score so many goals at such a young age makes me lean towards Haaland.

FWIW, I really do think Madrid signs both players. Haaland supposedly already has a contract worked out with Madrid and Dortmund has a very close business relationship with Madrid. Madrid will probably overpay Dortmund and throw in some extra cash on top of the release clause so everyone is happy. A small price to pay IMO.

As far as Vinicius, I think we will play somewhat of a hybrid 4-4-2 with Benz and Mbappe up top and Vini/Hazard in a sort of ball carrying role on the left flank. The bigger question to me is what to do with Rodrygo who is every bit as talented as Vini. With Hazard and Vini plus Asensio there is a log jam on the wings. Maybe Mbappe plays RW, or maybe Rodrygo takes that backup position. In any case, it’s a good problem to have.

Uh, you think Haaland is faster than Mbappe?

It is going to be very interesting to see who gets Haaland next summer. Unfortunately I think it's going to be City.

1 hour ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Uh, you think Haaland is faster than Mbappe?

Haaland’s top speed recorded is 22.39 MPH while Mbappe’s is 22.4. So basically identical top speed, but Haaland is 6 inches taller. Mbappe obviously quicker from standstill. Haaland obviously more impressive speed given his relative size.

1 minute ago, TEW said:

Haaland’s top speed recorded is 22.39 MPH while Mbappe’s is 22.4. So basically identical top speed, but Haaland is 6 inches taller. Mbappe obviously quicker from standstill. Haaland obviously more impressive speed given his relative size.

Yea, bigger, and stronger, no doubt. But Haaland is definitely not faster than Mbappe. 

1 minute ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Yea, bigger, and stronger, no doubt. But Haaland is definitely not faster than Mbappe. 

They’re 1/100th of a second apart. So nearly identical as far as top speed. And Haaland is still likely to get faster due to his age. Kid just turned 21 this summer. Good chance he ends up with a faster top end speed as he continues to mature physically. Mbappe will always have the short distance advantage because of his size.

But just looking at the total package, Haaland is the soccer equivalent of Megatron physically: the epitome of a H/W/S athlete.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

I took it as Haaland is just LeBron of soccer right now. Not necessarily fastest just the supreme athlete on the field. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaEagles4Life said:

I took it as Haaland is just LeBron of soccer right now. Not necessarily fastest just the supreme athlete on the field. 

The scary part is he just might end up being the fastest UCL level player. He’s already beat Davies for the Bundesliga record and he’s neck and neck with Mbappe right now while Mbappe has already entered his physical prime.

Regardless of if Haaland is the single fastest UCL player or second or fifth, it really doesn’t matter. There are maybe five guys on the planet with the skill to play in UCL who might be able to keep up with him in the open field. And the only central defender I can think of with both the size and speed to match up with him is Varane, who is still an inch shorter, probably a bit slower, and 8 years older.

Haaland is going to be an absolute nightmare over the next decade if he keeps his head on straight and avoids injury. There just isn’t anyone out there who can match up with him.

And this 

With regard to Haaland, it has now been revealed by Bild that Raiola, who has represented the 21-year-old since before his 2019 explosion onto the scene in Salzburg, requested a salary for his client from Chelsea worth £820,000 per week, or over £42m per year.

Additional demands are said to have included £34m as an agent’s fee, and a salary for himself as part of a total package valued at an estimated £275m over five years, excluding any transfer fe e.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

And this 

With regard to Haaland, it has now been revealed by Bild that Raiola, who has represented the 21-year-old since before his 2019 explosion onto the scene in Salzburg, requested a salary for his client from Chelsea worth £820,000 per week, or over £42m per year.

Additional demands are said to have included £34m as an agent’s fee, and a salary for himself as part of a total package valued at an estimated £275m over five years, excluding any transfer fe e.

Madrid or PSG are the only teams that can afford that and might be willing to meet the demands. City has the money but they don’t seem willing to sink so much into one player.

My best guess is it will be Madrid. It’s been reported they have terms arranged and Perez has put it out through his press contacts that he wants to pair him with Mbappe for the new stadium and cement his legacy at the club. Bale, Modric, Marcelo, and Isco will all most likely be off the books after this season, so they’ll have the room in the wage budget.

Plus Haaland is pretty ambitious and won’t want to play outside the new top 5 leagues since it would all but prevent him from winning major personal honors.

27 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Also, Ronaldo in talks with Man City which is sickening. 

If I’m Madrid I’d almost be tempted to wait until January. Bird in hand, sure, but almost €200M for a player with one year left on his contract is crazy.

• Like 1