****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

19 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Chelsea have to be the happier there... Away from home, down to 10 men and they get a big point away from home. 

Absolutely. Under Tuchel the Chelsea D has been outstanding so it wasn’t a total surprise but I did think Liverpool would get at least one goal if not more in the second half. It was one of those real physical PL struggles and a very alive Anfield as well. The first half was excellent to watch. The second not so much after the red card. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

Absolutely. Under Tuchel the Chelsea D has been outstanding so it wasn’t a total surprise but I did think Liverpool would get at least one goal if not more in the second half. It was one of those real physical PL struggles and a very alive Anfield as well. The first half was excellent to watch. The second not so much after the red card. 

I heard on the radio here in the UK that the decision by James to stop a goalscoring opportunity ended up being the right one? I can't help but disagree. He got sent off and Liverpool scored the penalty anyway. 

17 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I heard on the radio here in the UK that the decision by James to stop a goalscoring opportunity ended up being the right one? I can't help but disagree. He got sent off and Liverpool scored the penalty anyway. 

It wasn’t a decision. It was just a natural reflex. Hard to say what the right call was regarding the hands but once you call it hands it is a straight red. 

• Like 1

Just finished watching the replay.  So frustrated.  Our 'half court' O is as bad as the 76ers.  Yes, Chelsea played disciplined and compact, but in that situation vs City, I would wager City scores 2 goals vs them.  City is just so much better at those short passes in/around the box to unlock a D.  Not us.

And the subs were dreadful.  You leave the 18yo Elliott on, who hadn't really done anything to show he could help unlock the Chelsea D, you take off Hendo instead of Fabinho, who was a yellow waiting to happen and doesn't have Hendo's pace, and you put on a possession MF in Thiago instead of someone like Ox, who can hit an outside shot, or Minamino, who has better off the ball movement? 

It was a pen.  He moved his arm in an upward motion and had he kept it at his side the ball most likely deflects off his leg and into goal.  So pen and red.  The replay I watched show ref Anthony Taylor go to the screen and it only took him ONE look to make the call.  It was quick and decisive.

IMO, that's 2 points left on the field that could cost us later.  Again, credit to Chelsea for parking the bus (What else can  you do in that situation?) and doing it well, but this is where we lack that one special MF player who can help penetrate the parked bus.  Our half court game leaves much to be desired.  In open play and counters we can score.  When a quality side parks the bus on us then it's a major problem.

• Like 1

The 2nd half gets all the attention and rightly so but the 1st half is probably the more interesting tell long term. It was electric and both sides were impressive. Liverpool brought the heat as only they can yet Chelsea withstood and had just as many chances. Barring injury both sides will have a real say at gunning down City. Adding United and CR to the mix and we could see a whopper of a big four season with heavyweight title level bouts regularly taking place. We saw one yesterday. 

10 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

It wasn’t a decision. It was just a natural reflex. Hard to say what the right call was regarding the hands but once you call it hands it is a straight red. 

Yeah that's very true that is just a natural reaction. You do what you need to do in that split second. I've actually done something similar myself. 

8 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah that's very true that is just a natural reaction. You do what you need to do in that split second. I've actually done something similar myself. 

it was a funny one.  It hit his thigh/hip first and his arm was hanging down not out.  However, the ball then moved up into his arm and his reflexes brought his arm forward at the same time.  Looking from the side angle it may have been the case that the ball would have deflected off of his thigh and into the goal had his arm not been in the way.  The fact that his arm is moving forward while the ball is striking him (the 2nd touch) is where it gets interesting.

I have no problem with a hands call.  Bottom line is that hands is not a black/white type of situation.  Unfortunate for the game but there isn't really a way to define hands that makes it super clear.  The issue though is with the red card.  The straight red is the right call according to the rules.  No issue there.  However, that rule could use some tweaking.  It would have been better for everyone if the call had been a penalty and no card.  We would have seen a great 2nd half with a shot for Chelsea.

In any case, there are no complaints from me on the call itself.

3 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

However, that rule could use some tweaking.  It would have been better for everyone if the call had been a penalty and no card.  We would have seen a great 2nd half with a shot for Chelsea.

The issue with that bud is what if Liverpool miss the penalty? If he doesn't handle the ball then it's a goal so you could in effect be punishing Liverpool there.

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The issue with that bud is what if Liverpool miss the penalty? If he doesn't handle the ball then it's a goal so you could in effect be punishing Liverpool there.

There isn't any perfect answer for this one I'm afraid.  I suppose you could award a goal and not give a red card IF one is certain the ball would have gone in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

There isn't any perfect answer for this one I'm afraid.  I suppose you could award a goal and not give a red card IF one is certain the ball would have gone in.

I think that's probably the best outcome to be honest. Look at the World Cup a few years ago with Suarez.

• Like 1

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think that's probably the best outcome to be honest. Look at the World Cup a few years ago with Suarez.

I could get behind that rule change.  Not so sure it would have applied yesterday though.  It wasn't fully clear on the replays that the ball was going in had his arm not gotten in the way.  It hit his thigh/hip first so it was the ricochet that might have gone in.  I think it would have but a VAR review has to be clear and it wasn't fully clear on that point.

• Like 1

I have flipped and glad Ole got us to this spot, but making zero changes at halftime to fix the issues is comical and he can't do it. 

11 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

I have flipped and glad Ole got us to this spot, but making zero changes at halftime to fix the issues is comical and he can't do it. 

Plenty of time to bring home 3pts

41 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Ole isn't going to be the manager when United next win the league. I can pretty much guarantee that. 

43 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

Plenty of time to bring home 3pts

You don't play Pogba as one of the two midfielders with Fred then after a crap half make zero changes. 

We had Sancho as LW and Dan James as RW. You move Pogba as LW and Sancho as RW and old man Matic as your DM. 

If this team can get a defensive midfielder then fixes a lot, Neves is the guy but out of money probably. Manuel Locatelli is the perfect guy but signed with Juventes 

1 minute ago, DaEagles4Life said:

You don't play Pogba as one of the two midfielders with Fred then after a crap half make zero changes. 

We had Sancho as LW and Dan James as RW. You move Pogba as LW and Sancho as RW and old man Matic as your DM. 

If this team can get a defensive midfielder then fixes a lot, Neves is the guy but out of money probably 

Fair enough.  Still got the three pts.

37 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

If this team can get a defensive midfielder then fixes a lot, Neves is the guy but out of money probably. Manuel Locatelli is the perfect guy but signed with Juventes 

I disagree with bringing on Matic there. He was worse than Fred last week and that's pretty impressive.

The problem is they aren't going to add a DM. It probably needed to be their top priority this summer and they didn't do a thing. So this is the midfield they have. 

50 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I disagree with bringing on Matic there. He was worse than Fred last week and that's pretty impressive.

The problem is they aren't going to add a DM. It probably needed to be their top priority this summer and they didn't do a thing. So this is the midfield they have. 

Matic in 30 to 45 minutes is still legit anything greater the legs get tired 

Just watched some Wilfred Ndidi highlights for Leicester City and he is my top want, but will be too expensive. 

Wonder if Camavinga will want to play for Man Utd now that Ronaldo is here, but have also heard his potential has sputtered a bit 

I know you all don't care about MLS, but it was a tough night for the Philly Union, losing at DC United 3-1. The Unions goal keeper is a neighbor of mine, so its double sucky to see them lose. 

53 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Matic in 30 to 45 minutes is still legit anything greater the legs get tired 

Matic is not good. Against a team with any pace he'd be a sitting duck. United should have sold years ago. 

1 hour ago, LacesOut said:

I know you all don't care about MLS, but it was a tough night for the Philly Union, losing at DC United 3-1. The Unions goal keeper is a neighbor of mine, so its double sucky to see them lose. 

I follow their results. If I lived in the area I’d go to games. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Just watched some Wilfred Ndidi highlights for Leicester City and he is my top want, but will be too expensive. 

Wonder if Camavinga will want to play for Man Utd now that Ronaldo is here, but have also heard his potential has sputtered a bit 

It’s either PSG or Madrid. Most likely Madrid. He’s wanted to come for a while and can be signed on a free in January.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TEW said:

It’s either PSG or Madrid. Most likely Madrid. He’s wanted to come for a while and can be signed on a free in January.

The fact he's not moved this summer says it all to me. He wants to go to real but they didn't have the funds to sign him this year. Plus they knew they could get him for a free next year.