****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

1 minute ago, TEW said:

ENGLISH ARSE KICKING TOUR CONTINUES!

CITY ETERNALLY BLOWN THE F OUT BY MADRID!

PEP DISASTER CLASS CONFIRMED!

LIVERPOOL ALREADY SH**ING THEMSELVES!

You’ve snuck by twice with a ton of luck and one of your weaker teams. I will give you a ton of credit for finding a way. Fair enough on that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrPhilly said:

You’ve snuck by twice with a ton of luck and one of your weaker teams. I will give you a ton of credit for finding a way. Fair enough on that. 

When you do it consistently it’s not luck.

Just now, TEW said:

When you do it consistently it’s not luck.

This year included a heavy dose 

This year included a heavy dose 

Nope. Madrid put away their chances while opponents didn’t. Madrid have simply been the better team.

Just now, TEW said:

Nope. Madrid put away their chances while opponents didn’t. Madrid have simply been the better team.

They absolutely were not the better team in Madrid vs Chelsea. I didn’t watch today so no idea there. 

They absolutely were not the better team in Madrid vs Chelsea. I didn’t watch today so no idea there. 

They absolutely were. That’s why they won and Chelsea lost.

Possession means nothing. Goals are what matters. Madrid are clinical and these other teams are not.

Liverpool will be a decent test because they have players who can actually score.

Just now, TEW said:

They absolutely were. That’s why they won and Chelsea lost.

Possession means nothing. Goals are what matters. Madrid are clinical and these other teams are not.

Liverpool will be a decent test because they have players who can actually score.

Yeah well no. We won’t agree on that one. Sometimes the best team doesn’t win. 

2 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

Yeah well no. We won’t agree on that one. Sometimes the best team doesn’t win. 

Funny how the EPL team is always better yet always loses. :lol: 

Just now, TEW said:

Funny how the EPL team is always better yet always loses. :lol: 

How’d that workout last year?

Madrid are 100% fortunate to be in. They don't choose to be dominated in every facet of most games and then decide they want to "be good" at the last second. We only have to look to last year to see that. 

What happened today was a combination of luck, skill, and Pep being Pep. As much as I'd have loved to see @TEW faceplant in his own trash talk, I'm slightly more entertained watching Pep be gutted on the world's biggest stage...

:roll:

• Haha 2

:roll:

2 hours ago, mayanh8 said:

Madrid are 100% fortunate to be in. They don't choose to be dominated in every facet of most games and then decide they want to "be good" at the last second. We only have to look to last year to see that. 

It’s 100% part of Carlo’s tactics. He brings on the young players (Camavinga, Rodrygo, sometimes Fede) late in matches because he knows they can dominate either (1) tired veterans (2) the other team’s backups against any side in the world. The fact of the matter is that EPL teams are completely outmatched in this regard, and their inability to cope throughout back to back knockout stages proves it.

Possession means absolutely nothing. Literally nothing. You saw that with Atletico over the years, you saw that with Villarreal in the quarters, etc. counter attacking football is an actual strategy. Conceding possession for increased space to run into is a viable strategy. Subbing in young talented legs at the end of matches to capitalize on a tired opposition is a viable strategy.

We’ve been doing this all season long in multiple title campaigns. If you think it’s blind luck that it happens over and over and over again throughout a 60 game season I don’t know what to tell you other than the EPL cope is strong.

Liverpool are the only EPL team that gives me pause. Why? Because they have an actual attack that is clinical. City doesn’t. Chelsea doesn’t. The point of soccer is to score goals, that’s all that matters.

And with that result last night the unthinkable was confirmed. Liverpool are going to win the quadruple.

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And with that result last night the unthinkable was confirmed. Liverpool are going to win the quadruple.

Betting against Madrid in a UCL final is a dangerous game. 

12 hours ago, TEW said:

It’s 100% part of Carlo’s tactics. He brings on the young players (Camavinga, Rodrygo, sometimes Fede) late in matches because he knows they can dominate either (1) tired veterans (2) the other team’s backups against any side in the world. The fact of the matter is that EPL teams are completely outmatched in this regard, and their inability to cope throughout back to back knockout stages proves it.

Possession means absolutely nothing. Literally nothing. You saw that with Atletico over the years, you saw that with Villarreal in the quarters, etc. counter attacking football is an actual strategy. Conceding possession for increased space to run into is a viable strategy. Subbing in young talented legs at the end of matches to capitalize on a tired opposition is a viable strategy.

We’ve been doing this all season long in multiple title campaigns. If you think it’s blind luck that it happens over and over and over again throughout a 60 game season I don’t know what to tell you other than the EPL cope is strong.

Liverpool are the only EPL team that gives me pause. Why? Because they have an actual attack that is clinical. City doesn’t. Chelsea doesn’t. The point of soccer is to score goals, that’s all that matters.

This isn't some genius tactic like you make it out to be. 10 minutes left in regulation Carlo had no choice but to throw the kitchen sink. Every manager that's down two goals is going to do that. Pep, quite stupidly, decided that he was going to try and park the bus as if he was up two against Watford at home. We see the same scenario play out in many sports. A team goes up big and bottles it at the end. In this case Madrid were able to make it into stoppage time with an attacking side while Pep was forced to play it with almost no attack.

Where Madrid deserve credit is what you've talked about ad nauseum, which is their quality up front. They're world class. They're dangerous. But I think anyone with two eyes that watched both City games can see the overall quality of play was in City's favor. But sometimes the better team doesn't win. This year that fortune went in Madrid's favor. It happens. Credit to them for doing what they needed to do when the opportunity presented itself.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mayanh8 said:

This isn't some genius tactic like you make it out to be. 10 minutes left in regulation Carlo had no choice but to throw the kitchen sink. Every manager that's down two goals is going to do that. Pep, quite stupidly, decided that he was going to try and park the bus as if he was up two against Watford at home. We see the same scenario play out in many sports. A team goes up big and bottles it at the end. In this case Madrid were able to make it into stoppage time with an attacking side while Pep was forced to play it with almost no attack.

Where Madrid deserve credit is what you've talked about ad nauseum, which is their quality up front. They're world class. They're dangerous. But I think anyone with two eyes that watched both City games can see the overall quality of play was in City's favor. But sometimes the better team doesn't win. This year that fortune went in Madrid's favor. It happens. Credit to them for doing what they needed to do when the opportunity presented itself.

It may not be genius, but it’s effective. And ultimately that’s all that matters. You can talk about possession and leads until you’re blue in the face, but the fact of the matter is that Madrid has knocked out every team they’ve faced. They’re simply the better side.

Yikes, expected but still 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrPhilly said:

Yikes, expected but still 

Very very concerning that. I think he's going to tear it up at City.

28 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Very very concerning that. I think he's going to tear it up at City.

Probably so

• Like 1

I'll be the contrarian on this one and say he won't be nearly as effective in the EPL as he was in the Bundesliga.