EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

Just now, dawkdaballhawk said:

Makes me wish I had some photoshop skills.

Meh. I look goofy enough w/o the photoshop skills

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, greend said:

Yes, and damned hard to hit. I forgot Chukars.

They are, and if they didn’t helicopter off the ground or out of a tree, it would really be impossible to hit one. 
 Harder to find as well, I used to hunt them in Lycoming and Schuykill counties 20-25 years ago and usually see 8-10 each time out, now I might see 2-3 if I’m lucky. 

Just now, The Blackfish said:

They are, and if they didn’t helicopter off the ground or out of a tree, it would really be impossible to hit one. 
 Harder to find as well, I used to hunt them in Lycoming and Schuykill counties 20-25 years ago and usually see 8-10 each time out, now I might see 2-3 if I’m lucky. 

You're lucky to see them at all up here now. I haven't even heard one drumming in a couple of years

5 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Shocking development that a QB that was extremely raw, coming out of a lower division program, who missed almost the entire season due to Covid before the draft, would be underwhelming in the NFL early in his career.   He never should have gone that high.  Just nuts to draft him that high.  And here again, he's a guy that was a high volume running QB much more than a passer.   When will the NFL teams learn... it isn't really that complicated.   Focus on what they can do throwing the ball, reading the defenses, etc.  And see the running stuff as a bonus.

He certainly had arm talent but the lack of progress for him would be a big miss.  

10 minutes ago, RLC said:

The Shanahan system is hell on young QBs. It's always vets that do better in it since it's a timing offense.

I thought Shanahan's system was considered QB friendly.  It's not predicated on deep routes but a lot of crossing patterns based on play action zone blocking up front.  It's not a lot of deep hitches.  

26 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Shocking development that a QB that was extremely raw, coming out of a lower division program, who missed almost the entire season due to Covid before the draft, would be underwhelming in the NFL early in his career.   He never should have gone that high.  Just nuts to draft him that high.  And here again, he's a guy that was a high volume running QB much more than a passer.   When will the NFL teams learn... it isn't really that complicated.   Focus on what they can do throwing the ball, reading the defenses, etc.  And see the running stuff as a bonus.

San Fran drafts QBs like we draft WR's

14 minutes ago, greend said:

New Foundland around 5k and above.

Here's where my buddy "purchased" his. https://www.nfwo.ca/

Click on the lodge and look at the photo of the hunters in the front. See if you can spot me.

I know you didn't want to block the guy behind you but you should have put on the antler hat.  

6 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

I know you didn't want to block the guy behind you but you should have put on the antler hat.  

The guy to my left (facing the picture) totally found that set of moose antlers. He didn't get a moose (I felt bad for him so I gave him one of my quarters). Me and my hunting buddy split 2 moose and a caribou so we weren't hurting for meat.

26 minutes ago, greend said:

New Foundland around 5k and above.

Here's where my buddy "purchased" his. https://www.nfwo.ca/

Click on the lodge and look at the photo of the hunters in the front. See if you can spot me.

I spotted you.  Nice rack.

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

I spotted you.  Nice rack.

Thanks lol

16 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

He certainly had arm talent but the lack of progress for him would be a big miss.  

Arm talent, yes.   Development in the passing game, no.

4 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

The mental gymnastics people will try to make here when Hurts has a great season will be fun to watch. 

I think we'd all be thrilled if Hurts has a great season and I think everyone here wants him to have one.  He has weapons across the board and has no reason not to have a great season.  The only thing that can keep him from having a great season is his arm and decision making.  I don't think anyone in here is anti-Hurts or doesn't want him to succeed, we just don't see what all of the Hurts lovers see when it comes down to throwing the football.

If he replicates last season and they make the playoffs, that's still a failure IMO.  We all know he can run the ball.  We need him to be an above average/good passer.  Would be nice if he was a great passer but that doesn't look like it's in the cards.

2 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

If someone says Hurts is maxed out, it's racist and unfair.  If someone says Minshew is maxed out, it is completely reasonable.

Plus Minshew is weird and quirky.  Don't forget that.  I mean the guy was celebrating with his dad after his lone start and victory last year.  We need someone more level headed with robotic answers.

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

Not saying this guy will amount to much, but Cooper Kupp was not playing against much better at Eastern Washington.

Ehh....that's a stretch.   EWU is in the Big Sky, a highly competitive FCS conference and they won the Big Sky Title 3 times he was there making the playoffs every time.  EWU is a top FCS school.

I've never even heard of Northwestern Oklahoma State University or any of the schools they play against.

2 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Grant Calcaterra is such a weird draft choice. I get he's a 6th round pick and it means nothing, but it's like he doesn't check any box that Eagles usually look for. 

I know it's a game of ifs and a big one at that but if Calcaterra hadn't had his concussions and stayed at OU, he would have been a top tight end when all is said and done.  His SMU tape was completely underwhelming and borderline boring but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt being his first year back on the field and most likely a step down in QB play.  

If he is healthy and can capture his OU playing style they might have a steal on their hands.  Or K'Vonn Wallace gets him helmet to helmet in a live TC practice and he never plays again.

1 hour ago, greend said:

Giant Panda meatloaf is the best

Giant Panda Meatloaf.  I'm gonna name my band that.

2 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Grant Calcaterra is such a weird draft choice. I get he's a 6th round pick and it means nothing, but it's like he doesn't check any box that Eagles usually look for. 

He's a move TE ala Burton. He essentially IS a big WR as someone else suggested. He's a nice redzone weapon.

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

That's been my current profile pic on social media since last Friday...except I didn't crop coach out. :lol:

JDavis.thumb.jpg.8587af3a3546972ed0da1ca6c0c1354b.jpg

1 hour ago, Casey @ Bat said:

I’ll take JJaw there.

I mean...for sure. I'm definitely not an "enforcer" at his level.

The hype train on Richardson has been growing fast as of late.  I like the nickname, reminds me of Anrdrei Kerilenko and his AK-47 nickname.

https://heavy.com/sports/philadelphia-eagles/eagles-star-reveals-new-defensive-scheme-man-im-excited-for-big-boy/

Brandon Graham let's it slip that they are moving more heavily towards a 3-4, which I expected in seeing the personnel additions. Also expect a decent amount of 5-2:

In the 3-4...

Hargrave/Cox---Davis/Ellis--Graham/Williams

White/Taylor  Dean Edwards Reddick/Johnson

and the 5-2...

Sweat/Barnett---Hargrave/Cox---Davis/Ellis---Graham/Williams---Reddick/Johnson

Dean/Edwards     White/Taylor

This SHOULD help older players like Cox and Graham with an even healthier rotation than year's past.

White and Taylor are stacked ILB in a 3-4. They're not going to be playing 3-4 OLB. And he's not really letting anything slip. They played more 3-4 as base personnel than they did 4-3.

9 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

https://heavy.com/sports/philadelphia-eagles/eagles-star-reveals-new-defensive-scheme-man-im-excited-for-big-boy/

Brandon Graham let's it slip that they are moving more heavily towards a 3-4, which I expected in seeing the personnel additions. Also expect a decent amount of 5-2:

In the 3-4...

Hargrave/Cox---Davis/Ellis---Graham/Williams

White/Taylor                   Dean                   Edwards                        Reddick/Johnson

and the 5-2...

Sweat/Barnett---Hargrave/Cox---Davis/Ellis---Graham/Williams---Reddick/Johnson

Dean/Edwards     White/Taylor

This SHOULD help older players like Cox and Graham with an even healthier rotation than year's past.

I think you are missing Sweat in your 3-4 alignment. No way they paid him that contract and dont have him in their base defense. He will probably be LOLB there. 

3 hours ago, downundermike said:

@austinfan are you going to just dodge this ??????

You win in the playoffs and win titles passing the ball.

The top 10 teams in the NFL in rushing had a combined playoff record of 3-7 and 3 did not qualify for the playoffs.

The top 10 passing teams in the NFL had a combined playoff record of 11-8 and 1 did not qualify for the playoffs.  Both Super Bowl teams were top 10 in passing yards as well as the AFCCG Chiefs.  None of those three were top 10 in rushing.   They ranked 16, 23, 25.

The top 10 teams in total offense had a 10-6 total record and two did not make the playoffs.  Of the 8 teams that made the playoffs, 4 of them were only top 10 in passing yards, and they had a 7-3 combined record.  The 3 teams that were top 10 in total offense and both passing and running yards had a 1-3 record.

In regards to passing attempts, 7 of the top 10 made the playoffs.  5 of the top 10 in rushing attempts made the playoffs.  I could go through the records, but I think you have had enough today.

What this tells me is you are more likely to win in the playoffs if you are a predominantly passing offense.

What it tells me is you have no understanding of statistics.

1 minute ago, austinfan said:

What it tells me is you have no understanding of statistics.

What an absolute cop out of an answer.  Tells me you do not have an answer.

That's almost 700 lbs of man in the middle with actual functional linebackers behind them.  

55 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I think we'd all be thrilled if Hurts has a great season and I think everyone here wants him to have one.  He has weapons across the board and has no reason not to have a great season.  The only thing that can keep him from having a great season is his arm and decision making.  I don't think anyone in here is anti-Hurts or doesn't want him to succeed, we just don't see what all of the Hurts lovers see when it comes down to throwing the football.

If he replicates last season and they make the playoffs, that's still a failure IMO.  We all know he can run the ball.  We need him to be an above average/good passer.  Would be nice if he was a great passer but that doesn't look like it's in the cards.

Anything short of 100% completion percentage will have people here funding a way to **** about him.  He could even have 100% completion percentage and people would still be posting screenshot of a YouTube video showing he could have passed to someone else on a given play. 

Archived