EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

Just wondering, for the Hurts fans who have no doubt he's going to take the next step and be the Eagles franchise QB.  How would you compare Hurts to Marcus Mariota?  Below are career stats.  Even if Hurts improves to be on Mariota's level, won't that just make him a journeyman QB?  Mariota, IMO, is more prototypical for today's NFL than Hurts and even he isn't viewed as a franchise QB.  

Just interested in hearing why people are so confident that Hurts has it. 

Passing Rushing Receiving
Rk Player From To AV G QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Rate Lng Int Sk Yds Y/A AY/A NY/A ANY/A Att Yds TD Y/A Lng Rec Yds TD Y/R Lng
1 Jalen Hurts 2020 2021 21 30 9-10-0 342 580 59.0 4205 22 84.7 91 13 39 209 7.3 7.00 6.46 6.22 202 1138 13 5.6 31 1 3 0 3.0 3
2 Marcus Mariota 2015 2021 49 74 29-32-0 1128 1795 62.8 13437 77 89.5 75 45 155 992 7.5 7.22 6.38 6.13 264 1574 13 6.0 87 2 62 1 31.0 41

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Just wondering, for the Hurts fans who have no doubt he's going to take the next step and be the Eagles franchise QB.  How would you compare Hurts to Marcus Mariota?  Below are career stats.  Even if Hurts improves to be on Mariota's level, won't that just make him a journeyman QB?  Mariota, IMO, is more prototypical for today's NFL than Hurts and even he isn't viewed as a franchise QB.  

Just interested in hearing why people are so confident that Hurts has it. 

Passing Rushing Receiving
Rk Player From To AV G QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Rate Lng Int Sk Yds Y/A AY/A NY/A ANY/A Att Yds TD Y/A Lng Rec Yds TD Y/R Lng
1 Jalen Hurts 2020 2021 21 30 9-10-0 342 580 59.0 4205 22 84.7 91 13 39 209 7.3 7.00 6.46 6.22 202 1138 13 5.6 31 1 3 0 3.0 3
2 Marcus Mariota 2015 2021 49 74 29-32-0 1128 1795 62.8 13437 77 89.5 75 45 155 992 7.5 7.22 6.38 6.13 264 1574 13 6.0 87 2 62 1 31.0 41

Mariota peaked in his second season and then took a major step back.  I don't believe we have seen the ceiling of Hurts and I think we will see an even better version of him in year 3 as opposed to Mariota taking a major step back in year 3.  I always liked Mariota though and think he can re-establish himself as a starting QB in the league in Atlanta and become their starter for some years. 

22 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Mariota peaked in his second season and then took a major step back.  I don't believe we have seen the ceiling of Hurts and I think we will see an even better version of him in year 3 as opposed to Mariota taking a major step back in year 3.  I always liked Mariota though and think he can re-establish himself as a starting QB in the league in Atlanta and become their starter for some years. 

Mariota is a bit of a blast from our past. Maybe a predraft crush that got away.

Falcons took Desmond Ridder in the draft.

I suspect that Mariota is a placeholder.

1 minute ago, RememberTheKoy said:

That's my question though...why are you so confident that we haven't seen the best of Jalen Hurts and that he will only get better in year 3?  No one thought Mariota was going to peak and then take steps back.  Mariota, at that time was a superior QB to Hurts.  He had all the tools.  

Mariota's 2nd season, he was 23 and played in 15 games.  He 276 out of 451 (61%)  for 3400 yards, 26 TD and 9 INT.  He ran the ball 60 times for 350 yards and 3 TD.

Hurts 2nd season, 23 years old 15 games.  265 out of 432 (61%) for 3100 yards, 19 TD and 9 INT.  Hurts had 139 rushes for 784 yards and 10 TD.

From a production standpoint (passing and rushing) they both had 29 TDs while having pretty darn close passing numbers.  They appear to be on the same trajectory with Mariota's numbers showing better promise as a QB.  No one wants their QB running the ball nearly 150 times in a season.  

In 2021, after week 5, in Hurts last 11 games, he threw for over 250 yards once.  In 8 of those games he had under 200 yards.  In 4 of those games he had under 150 yards.  5 of those games he didn't have a single passing TD and in 6 of those games, his completion % was under 60%.  Those numbers do are hardly inspiring.  You can argue that the Eagles went run heavy but again, Hurts limitations as a passer forced them to do that.  I just don't see WHY people think Hurts without a doubt will just get better this year.  What statistics, game film or visual proof do we have that shows Hurts is going to improve?  He was awful for stretches of 2021.

Again, even if Hurts progresses just a little bit, he's still just Marcus Mariota, who is now a journeyman QB.

6 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

That's my question though...why are you so confident that we haven't seen the best of Jalen Hurts and that he will only get better in year 3?  No one thought Mariota was going to peak and then take steps back.  Mariota, at that time was a superior QB to Hurts.  He had all the tools.  

Mariota's 2nd season, he was 23 and played in 15 games.  He 276 out of 451 (61%)  for 3400 yards, 26 TD and 9 INT.  He ran the ball 60 times for 350 yards and 3 TD.

Hurts 2nd season, 23 years old 15 games.  265 out of 432 (61%) for 3100 yards, 19 TD and 9 INT.  Hurts had 139 rushes for 784 yards and 10 TD.

From a production standpoint (passing and rushing) they both had 29 TDs while having pretty darn close passing numbers.  They appear to be on the same trajectory with Mariota's numbers showing better promise as a QB.  No one wants their QB running the ball nearly 150 times in a season.  

Mariota did that with far less talent at receiver than Hurts had last year.

2016 Titans leading receivers

Delanie Walker - 65 catches for 800 yards

Rishard Matthews - 65 for 945

DeMarco Murray - 53 for 377

Tajae Sharpe - 41 for 522

17 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

In 2021, after week 5, in Hurts last 11 games, he threw for over 250 yards once.  In 8 of those games he had under 200 yards.  In 4 of those games he had under 150 yards.  5 of those games he didn't have a single passing TD and in 6 of those games, his completion % was under 60%.  Those numbers do are hardly inspiring.  You can argue that the Eagles went run heavy but again, Hurts limitations as a passer forced them to do that.  I just don't see WHY people think Hurts without a doubt will just get better this year.  What statistics, game film or visual proof do we have that shows Hurts is going to improve?  He was awful for stretches of 2021.

Again, even if Hurts progresses just a little bit, he's still just Marcus Mariota, who is now a journeyman QB.

Because the areas of Jalen's game where improvement can be made are areas that are fully within the realm of possibility that he is able to improve upon.  Better timing with throws, more faniliarity within the offense and just having a better understanding of what he is seeing pre-snap.  Those are things that the expierence has gained will be beneficial to him going forward. 

I also have no idea what Mariota's work ethic is.  Personality wise he always seemed very subdued and I don't want to say he doesn't care but I've never gotten the sense from him that he has as strong of a passion and drive for the game like Hurts does.  Hurts is born and raised in football.  One thing that is undeniable from all reports about Jalen is he has an incredible work ethic and drive.  In the words of Sirianni he loves ball. He's very coachable and has a drive to improve.  Maybe Mariota does too but I can't speak to that. 

So someone like Jalen I have no doubt they will reach whatever ceiling he has.  And from what I've seen I have no reason to believe he has hit it.  As stated earlier the areas where he can improve are areas that are fully possible for him to improve at.  They aren't physical limitations.  It's areas that can be improved if he puts the work and commitment into those areas which I have no doubt he will. 

Season is 2 months away.  If you want to die ont he hill that Hurts is going to regress than go for it but I fully anticipate a noticeable step forward for him. 

9 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Season is 2 months away.  If you want to die on the hill that Hurts is going to regress than go for it but I fully anticipate a noticeable step forward for him, but I do not believe it enough to take all the people off ignore who owned me after Hurts ish the bed in Tampa Bay after I ran my mouth all week leading up to the game

FYP

Mariota has no work ethic at all. Barely showed up to workouts and slept through meetings. Never served crawfish to his teammates. Hates football with a passion so much he calls the NFL "American Football". Completely sunk the careers of Kenny Britt and DGB. Both reached out multiple times to workout with Mariota during the offseason but Big Money Marcus ghosted them every time. Hell, if he even put in half the passion that Hurts has for motivational quotes he might even have a solid starting job. He's got the physical talent to win a Heisman but just never wanted to work for it. 

42 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Because the areas of Jalen's game where improvement can be made are areas that are fully within the realm of possibility that he is able to improve upon.  Better timing with throws, more faniliarity within the offense and just having a better understanding of what he is seeing pre-snap.  Those are things that the expierence has gained will be beneficial to him going forward. 

I also have no idea what Mariota's work ethic is.  Personality wise he always seemed very subdued and I don't want to say he doesn't care but I've never gotten the sense from him that he has as strong of a passion and drive for the game like Hurts does.  Hurts is born and raised in football.  One thing that is undeniable from all reports about Jalen is he has an incredible work ethic and drive.  In the words of Sirianni he loves ball. He's very coachable and has a drive to improve.  Maybe Mariota does too but I can't speak to that. 

So someone like Jalen I have no doubt they will reach whatever ceiling he has.  And from what I've seen I have no reason to believe he has hit it.  As stated earlier the areas where he can improve are areas that are fully possible for him to improve at.  They aren't physical limitations.  It's areas that can be improved if he puts the work and commitment into those areas which I have no doubt he will. 

Season is 2 months away.  If you want to die ont he hill that Hurts is going to regress than go for it but I fully anticipate a noticeable step forward for him. 

Racist

45 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

So first you say you have no idea what his work ethic is. Then, you go on to slander him and say he doesn't have the passion and drive that Hurts does. How do you know this? What are you basing it on? Just because Hurts posts numerous social media updates and MM doesn't? 

Who has higher completion % and YPA after Week 5?

Mariota or Hurts??

I'd almost have to lean Mariota.

Hurts should have more  total TDs and yards.

You guys keep the blog rolling without me today.  My boss is paying me to go play 18.  Pretty rough life I live.

Just now, downundermike said:

You guys keep the blog rolling without me today.  My boss is paying me to go play 18.  Pretty rough life I live.

Yall hiring?

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

I think you are confused. For one, Mariota isn't a journeyman qb because of his second season numbers. He is a journeyman because his next three seasons were a lot worse. If he puts up the same numbers every year as he did in his second season, he's getting $40 million a year to play qb for the Titans right now.

As far as Hurts getting better, it's the team that thinks that, not the fans. If the team thought Hurts couldn't get better, why didn't they draft a qb this year? Kenny Pickett was right there at 18. Instead they traded that pick for a wr. If the team didn't believe in Hurts, why would they do that?

I don't understand your logic at all here. Pointing to the fact that Hurts had a similar second season to a player who, if he only remained at that level would 100 percent be a starter in the NFL, isn't making the argument that I think you are trying to make.  

7 minutes ago, UndyTaker said:

Yall hiring?

Always

5 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Keep it under 120

4 man best ball tournament, so I think we can keep it under 80

Question for the blog.

I have to come up to Philly/NJ for business the week of the home opener against Minnesota on MNF. Should I go to the game?

Things to consider. My last few in person games were:

vs Detroit 2019: L 24-27 (JJAW game)

@ Dolphins 2019: L 31-37 (DeVante Parker game)

@Tampa Bay 2018: L 21-27 (Fitzpatrick-Djack game)

vs Dallas 2013: L 3-17 (don't even remember what went wrong that game)

11 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

So first you say you have no idea what his work ethic is. Then, you go on to slander him and say he doesn't have the passion and drive that Hurts does. How do you know this? What are you basing it on? Just because Hurts posts numerous social media updates and MM doesn't? 

I was pre-facing that I can be wrong but but my interpretation is that he seems like a very laid back whatever happens happens type of guy.  But yeah based on everything. We have heard about Hurts is that he is an extremely hard working kid who is extremely dedicated to the game and trying to improve.  I remember Mariota coming out of college there was some concerns amongst scouts that maybe he was too laid back.  But again I don't know if that's an issue or not.  Haven't paid as close attention to Mariota's professional career as I have Hurts but I have no reason whatsoever to expect Hurts to regress this season. I have every reason to believe he will continue to improve and take a substantial step forward. 

But yeah, have some more faux outrage today over a post I made.  Pathetic. 

22 minutes ago, UndyTaker said:

Racist

Seriously. Stop AAPI hate. 

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Question for the blog.

I have to come up to Philly/NJ for business the week of the home opener against Minnesota on MNF. Should I go to the game?

Things to consider. My last few in person games were:

vs Detroit 2019: L 24-27 (JJAW game)

@ Dolphins 2019: L 31-37 (DeVante Parker game)

@Tampa Bay 2018: L 21-27 (Fitzpatrick-Djack game)

vs Dallas 2013: L 3-17 (don't even remember what went wrong that game)

Dude, go to the game. Have a good time.

They are bound to win one for you eventually.

3 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I hate those things.  I never do them...unless I have to.  Playing with a bunch of morons who don't normally golf.  They go out and get new golf gear for their one golf outing a year, only to get hammered and cheat while trying to win a sleave of logo balls at the dinner which is typically garbage banquet food.  

I'd rather golf. 

Have fun though.  

All 4 are from our company and serious golfers.  One guy in my group has won at least one of the long drive holes the last 4 years.

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

If they were sold on Hurts then why would they change the gameplan halfway through the season to take the ball out of his hands. 

This is such an odd thing to think.

Hurts accounted for 72 percent of the team's offense last year. Dak Prescott accounted for 70 percent of Dallas' offense. So did the Cowboys take the ball out of his hands?

I think some people say stuff over and over again without ever stopping to think whether it is actually true or not. And once they get to that point, their heels are dug in and facts no longer matter.

32 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Gauthier is NOTHING like those two. those two couldnt stick handle and just went to the net because they had little skill. 

Cutter can skate ok, he can fire the Fing puck and he has a good Size. He's Leclair light. Able to shoot and score and go to the net. Chris Krider of present day. 

Something, and I dont know what, but Something is going on with Jiricek. he slipped to 6. puzzeling.

Side note, Tony Deangleo is gonna be a flyer and so is Johnny Hockey

JVR and Nolan Patrick who were both supposed to be studs at no. 2 and better overall games than cutter with higher ceilings. Both were considered better (higher rated) prospects than cutter. and most believed heading into those drafts were considered the second best player in those drafts and at worse top 3. It’s easy in hindsight to be like he’s nothing like those players cause he could stick handle better. Except those two had were considered to have higher ceilings than cutter.  when you go back and read the scouting report on those players they were actually considered better prospects than cutter when they came out with more potential upside. The flyers fell in love with Patrick and JVR cause they were big bodied forwards/centers with potential high upside. This is much of the same reason as they took him over a big defenseman who’s upside could be that of pietrangelo. You could’ve had York, jiricek, zamula and Sanheim going forward which is a hell of a young group especially a York and jiricek pairing  

much rather have taken the defenseman jiricek  most rankings had jiricek at 4-6 range. most had cutter 5-7. Heck this athletic draft analyst had cutter at 18  (https://theathletic.com/3306659/2022/06/06/nhl-draft-top-100-prospects-ranking/?source=user_shared_article)

6 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

This is such an odd thing to think.

Hurts accounted for 72 percent of the team's offense last year. Dak Prescott accounted for 70 percent of Dallas' offense. So did the Cowboys take the ball out of his hands?

I think some people say stuff over and over again without ever stopping to think whether it is actually true or not. And once they get to that point, their heels are dug in and facts no longer matter.

Dak threw the ball for much more and ran for much less than Hurts.

Dak threw for 37 TDs.

Your percentage of offense stat pays little attention to overall results.

14 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

For the amount of squeeze (2nd round pick on a running back) he hasnt been worth the juice. 

Hes been a start for the bulk of his time here and a playmaker at times. By far the best player from his draft class for the Eagles. Again that's what you hope you can get as a baseline for a 2nd round pick. 

Archived