EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

5 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

FYP

See the issue comes up they were in discussions for Wilson and watson. Who would’ve been a massive investment of draft capital and cap space cause they thought they were franchise QBs. So if the eagles thought Pickett could be a franchise QB it would’ve cost less draft capital  and get him on a rookie contract for 5 years. But they said no we don’t want him even thought we believe he’s future franchise QB. The more likely scenario is they didn’t believe Pickett was a franchise QB in their evaluation not worth the draft selection where they were picking. 

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Everything they have done in the offseason points to the fact that they think Hurts can improve. This includes not drafting Pickett when they could have.

If they thought Pickett had a higher ceiling than Hurts, they would have drafted him.

Is that really so tough for you to comprehend? Or should I use smaller words? 

You mean the part where they accumulated extra 1sts for next year's draft where the QB prospects are stronger?

Just because they think he can get better doesn't mean they think he's just fine as is.

5 minutes ago, hukdonfoniks said:

You mean the part where they accumulated extra 1sts for next year's draft where the QB prospects are stronger?

This is exactly what I mean. They think he can get better. But they are hedging their bets, which is a smart thing to do.

Why do you think you are solving some kind of unsolvable riddle?

7 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I hope they think he can get better.  If not, then that means they haven't been paying attention to his social media.  Eagles need to do better.  

If the eagles evaluated Pickett and thought he could be a joe burrow, herbert, Russell Wilson class then the eagles would’ve run up to that podium to select him. they were actively trying to get Russell Wilson and upgrade the QB position before Wilson shot them down and watson shot them down.

If the eagles believed Pickett was going to be in the burrow, Wilson and herbert class i don’t think for a second they would’ve said no. Heck the eagles gave themselves security by getting more 1st round picks next year in case hurts isn’t the guy and they have to make the move. 

7 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

If the eagles evaluated Pickett and thought he could be a joe burrow, herbert, Russell Wilson class then the eagles would’ve run up to that podium to select him. they were actively trying to get Russell Wilson and upgrade the QB position before Wilson shot them down and watson shot them down.

If the eagles believed Pickett was going to be in the burrow, Wilson and herbert class i don’t think for a second they would’ve said no. Heck the eagles gave themselves security by getting more 1st round picks next year in case hurts isn’t the guy and they have to make the move. 

What if they thought he could be David Carr? Or Kirk Cousins? Or Mac Jones? Or Davis Mills? What would they have done then?

15 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

What if they thought he could be David Carr? Or Kirk Cousins? Or Mac Jones? Or Davis Mills? What would they have done then?

I don’t think any of those QBs are good enough to win you a SB. most people feel none of those QBs aren’t good enough to win a SB. So I’d hope they wouldn’t have taken him.

again your logic is they didn’t take Pickett cause they are sold on hurts. It very well could be they didn’t even think he was that good of a prospect or think he could reach those guys you mentioned (besides mills— eagles might also not like mills). Just cause Vegas has those odds for him for ROTY doesn’t mean the eagles evaluation agrees. Yet you consistently just dismiss the eagles might not have been very high on him as a franchise Qb and wanted no part of him cause of that  

if the eagles absolutely loved Pickett and saw him as a legit franchise QB you are telling me they’d simply pass on that type of talent, having him on a 5 year cheap rookie contract for a hurts which the eagles reportedly tried to replace with Zach Wilson, Russell Wilson, Deshaun watson and set up draft capital for 2023 in case hurts doesn’t pan out? 

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Yet you consistently just dismiss the eagles might not have been very high on him as a franchise Qb. 

And you dismiss the fact that the Steelers were that high on him.

Convenient of you, isn't it?

Thank God

BTW, NFL passed on switching to a streaming service earlier when TUBI wanted to do it because they are thrilled with DirecTV and the future with DirectTV

The Eagles have been playing the long game with the QB position. I do not believe it has anything to do with Hurts. They cornered themselves and have just had no better long term solutions to make the switch. In the meantime they are adding pieces. At the end of the year they have to make that long term decision with the draft, FA or an extension. I just don't think Hurts can make a big enough jump to be considered in the conversation.

2 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Question for the blog.

I have to come up to Philly/NJ for business the week of the home opener against Minnesota on MNF. Should I go to the game?

Things to consider. My last few in person games were:

vs Detroit 2019: L 24-27 (JJAW game)

@ Dolphins 2019: L 31-37 (DeVante Parker game)

@Tampa Bay 2018: L 21-27 (Fitzpatrick-Djack game)

vs Dallas 2013: L 3-17 (don't even remember what went wrong that game)

Just confirm whether or not you make it to the game so I can bet accordingly 🤣

8 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

And you dismiss the fact that the Steelers were that high on him.

Convenient of you, isn't it?

So cause the Steelers scouting department was high on him means the eagles scouting department had to be? Interesting i didn’t know the steagles were a think still  

who gives a rats ass about the Steelers. Their scouting department isn’t the Fing eagles. 

So cause the Steelers scouting department was high on him means the eagles scouting department had to be? Interesting i didn’t know the steagles were a think still  

who gives a rats ass about the Steelers. Their scouting department isn’t the Fing eagles. 

Yup, just ignore evidence that contradicts your opinion because it's convenient. Typical of the blog.

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Don’t forget Vegas odds for ROY!!!   

You did.

3 minutes ago, aptosbird said:

The Eagles have been playing the long game with the QB position. I do not believe it has anything to do with Hurts. They cornered themselves and have just had no better long term solutions to make the switch. In the meantime they are adding pieces. At the end of the year they have to make that long term decision with the draft, FA or an extension. I just don't think Hurts can make a big enough jump to be considered in the conversation.

Thank you. 

frankly i think pickett went down this way. They saw Pickett they weren’t absolutely in love with him. They likely thought why do we make this move if we aren’t in love with him and don’t see his ceiling as legit franchise Qb. so they decided just keep building and acquiring assets and go with hurts this year and if Hurts fails we have assets to try and acquire the QB then. Why force a pick of Pickett if you don’t love him. 

6 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Yup, just ignore evidence that contradicts your opinion because it's convenient. Typical of the blog.

You did.

Lol. Again the eagles are the Steelers scouting department?  different organizations have different evaluations on players. couldn’t be the eagles scouted him and didn’t get the same feel for him as the Steelers. 

So you’re telling me the eagles if they truly loved Pickett, thought he could be a legit franchise Qb, would have him under control for 5 years and didn’t need to overspend to get him they wouldn’t have selected him because they are sold on hurts who they stockpiled picks next year in case he fails and tried to replace the last two offseason before failing to get Wilson’s ne watson?  

15 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Thank God

BTW, NFL passed on switching to a streaming service earlier when TUBI wanted to do it because they are thrilled with DirecTV and the future with DirectTV

I cant wait for the day I can call Directv (but really AT&T since directv cant be bothered to do their own customer service anymore) and tell them to F off.

Directv used to be great, as soon as AT&T took over it has been utter horse ish with the worst customer service you can imagine.

Pretty sure their entire strategy is just to wait for you to give up and hang up the phone before actually getting a human to speak to you.

Lol. Again the eagles are the Steelers scouting department?  different organizations have different evaluations on players. couldn’t be the eagles scouted him and didn’t get the same feel for him as the Steelers. 

So you’re telling me the eagles if they truly loved Pickett, thought he could be a legit franchise Qb, would have him under control for 5 years and didn’t need to overspend to get him they wouldn’t have selected him because they are sold on hurts who they stockpiled picks next year in case he fails and tried to replace the last two offseason before failing to get Wilson’s ne watson?  

Where did I say that Pickett is the next Justin Herbert? No one projected that. But there is a reasonable chance he could be the next Kirk Cousins, David Carr or Mac Jones.

That's likely what the Steelers drafted and what the Eagles passed on. Is that such a difficult concept for you to grasp?  

4 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Where did I say that Pickett is the next Justin Herbert? No one projected that. But there is a reasonable chance he could be the next Kirk Cousins, David Carr or Mac Jones.

That's likely what the Steelers drafted and what the Eagles passed on. Is that such a difficult concept for you to grasp?  

Again maybe the eagles don’t want the next David carr (which would be awful cause Derek is the one that’s at least solid), cousins or jones cause they aren’t all that enamored with them. 

is it such a a difficult concept to grasp the Eagles organization and scouts didn’t have the same evaluation on Pickett as the Steelers? The eagles might think Pickett was not going to be worth where he was being picked whereas the Steelers did.  

Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

You are just like RTK.  

That’s not a good thing.  

So are you, but a slightly dumber version.

3 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

You are just like RTK.  

That’s not a good thing.  

No, you.

Sick Burn GIFs | Tenor

5 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Again maybe the eagles don’t want the next David carr (which would be awful cause Derek is the one that’s at least solid), cousins or jones cause they aren’t all that enamored with them. 

is it such a a difficult concept to grasp the Eagles organization and scouts didn’t have the same evaluation on Pickett as the Steelers? The eagles might think Pickett was going to be worth where he was being picked whereas the Steelers did.  

Or maybe they think Hurts has a higher ceiling.

Sometimes the easy answer is the easy answer. Just embrace it and move on with your life. The team is giving you a clear message about how they feel about Jalen Hurts. You don't bring in AJ Brown, James Bradberry and Hassan Reddick and then pass on drafting a qb like Pickett because you think Hurts can't win in the NFL.

The team believes in him. Obviously they are hedging their bets, but the Saints gave them a great deal. So they would have been dumb not to hedge their bets. It's like you are arguing that the Saints don't think Jameis Winston can be a winning qb, when everything they have done this year clearly indicates that they do.

You may not agree with their assessments, but denying that they are what they are is just foolish. 

16 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Or maybe they think Hurts has a higher ceiling.

Sometimes the easy answer is the easy answer. Just embrace it and move on with your life. The team is giving you a clear message about how they feel about Jalen Hurts. You don't bring in AJ Brown, James Bradberry and Hassan Reddick and then pass on drafting a qb like Pickett because you think Hurts can't win in the NFL.

The team believes in him. Obviously they are hedging their bets, but the Saints gave them a great deal. So they would have been dumb not to hedge their bets. It's like you are arguing that the Saints don't think Jameis Winston can be a winning qb, when everything they have done this year clearly indicates that they do.

You may not agree with their assessments, but denying that they are what they are is just foolish. 

Sometimes the easy answer is the easiest answer could just be the eagles weren’t in love with Pickett and rather roll with hurts than spend the pick on QB that they don’t love. 

more the eagles got value in players they’ve liked and were available. couldn’t be that bradberry they got on a good one year prove it deal for a player they liked. Clearly it was only to benefit hurts long term. Clearly they couldn’t have gotten aj brown cause he’s a stud and whoever is the QB going forward benefits mightily by doing so for the value they got him for. This is the Philadelphia eagles not the Philadelphia hurts. They make moves for what’s best for the eagles long and short term. They signed Hassan because they love pass rushers and he fit the system and was still young. You seem to think these moves were strictly for hurts. It was to make the entire team better for whomever they have now and the future. Aj brown and Hassan are short and long term thinking. Bradberry was the only short term one because they badly needed another corner and he became available for the right price. I don’t care if Ty detmer was at Qb. You try to build the best team possible unless you are just trying to tank 

I never said they didn’t have some belief in him. However your evaluation that the only reason Pickett isn’t here is hurts is BS. If the eagles absolutely loved Pickett and thought he was a legitimate franchise Qb he’s likely here. You can’t grasp that cause you have this notion the eagles wouldn’t dare replace hurts. meanwhile a team who undoubtably believes in hurts also doesn’t try to go get Russell Wilson, a guy with 28 sexual assault cases and then set themselves up for 2023 in case hurts isn’t the guy going forward. 

So my point is the eagles aren’t sold on hurts long term to by pass a QB if they believe that said QB could legitimately be a high caliber franchise QB. They gave Hurts the best talent they could to give him every advantage to have ultimate success. If he fails they are still in a great position for the next b due to those moves. Pickett isn’t here more likely cause they didn’t LOVE him or his ceiling and thought it wasn’t worth the investment and rather roll with hurts over the evaluations they had for where they had to select him at in the first round 

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

As the resident steelers fan, how high do you think they were on Pickett? 

Everyone said the Steelers needed to move up to get him... they didnt, as if they thought, if hes there great, if not no big deal

Everyone knew in the league that the Steelers were 99% going QB, did it bother the steelers to make a move to sure him up. nope.

You act like the Steelers mortgaged the future to jump to a top 5 pick to get him. Wasnt the case, wasnt even close. 

I think they were as high on him as the Patriots were on Mac Jones.

1 minute ago, jsb235 said:

I think they were as high on him as the Patriots were on Mac Jones.

I don't think that is a fair comparison. How many QB's went ahead of Jones? It was a rich year for QBs. Pickett was the first to be drafted and was passed by teams that needed QB's. If he was seen as a legitimate franchise QB, he would have gone sooner.It just so happened that the Steelers were in real need and grabbing the local kid was as much fan promotion as anything.

They clearly knew Picket would only be able to muster 71% of the offense instead of 72%

1 minute ago, aptosbird said:

I don't think that is a fair comparison.

We will see. I see a lot of similarities between Mac Jones and Kenny Pickett (and Tua for that matter.)

At the end of the season we will see how their stats compare and you can tell me how right or wrong I was.

Archived