EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

2 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

We will see. I see a lot of similarities between Mac Jones and Kenny Pickett (and Tua for that matter.)

At the end of the season we will see how their stats compare and you can tell me how right or wrong I was.

You are now conflating two different points...which one is it. His draft position compared to Mac Jones? ( which is what I responded to) or his potential production. You seem pretty confused.

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, TorontoEagle said:

Oh 0 TDs last year is productive?? 

754 rushing yards on 5.5 YPC is productive. 

1 minute ago, aptosbird said:

You are now conflating two different points...which one is it. His draft position compared to Mac Jones? ( which is what I responded to) or his potential production. You seem pretty confused.

So a player's production has nothing to do with his draft position? What is the basis for drafting then? Good looks? Ability to complete a wordle?

At some point, you draft a player based on what he can do on the field. At the end of the season we will see how Pickett's production compares to Jones' last year to determine whether or not he should have been a top 20 pick.

That's how this works.

2 hours ago, Bacarty2 said:

Realistic answer. Where do you rank him 1 to 32.

I say 15ish, is that fair?

As a RB,  I couldn't tell you off the top of my head.  I just know that for a 2nd round pick the reasonable expectation is that the player will become a contributing starter for your team and that is what Miles became so can't sit here and act like that was a bad second round pick.  You want a bad second round pick then you look at a player like JJAW or Sydney Jones. 

2 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

So a player's production has nothing to do with his draft position? What is the basis for drafting then? Good looks? Ability to complete a wordle?

At some point, you draft a player based on what he can do on the field. At the end of the season we will see how Pickett's production compares to Jones' last year to determine whether or not he should have been a top 20 pick.

That's how this works.

I still think you're a little lost. I responded to a post by you where you compared two team's decisions to take a QB at roughly the same spot in the draft. You are now talking about something completely different, but have at it.

Just now, aptosbird said:

I still think you're a little lost. I responded to a post by you where you compared two team's decisions to take a QB at roughly the same spot in the draft. You are now talking about something completely different, but have at it.

I'm lost? You are saying Kenny Pickett is worse than Mac Jones because Jones was drafted after other qbs, and Kenny Pickett wasn't.

Is that not your argument?

25 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

I think they were as high on him as the Patriots were on Mac Jones.

This is your original quote ...it states nothing about potential production or who is better...that is all twisted up in your head. I only said it was an unfair comparison...but I am done with this rabbit hole

2 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

He’s desperately comparing their total yards.  Including rushing.  He only cares about accuracy when he can mold it to his narrative.  Remember, according to him the Eagles are sold on Hurts long term, because they didn’t draft Pickett.  

The guy they passed on in the 1st round

image.png.3300349666179a3a1e3c07f7713678f1.png

The guy they got as a UDFA

image.png.8b3ef6947d47a35809e8051972d8a03c.png

Note 5 years vs. 3 years. Wasn't he wearing a leg brace in 2021? Doesn't seem like that would help the numbers. No rushing stats, sorry. If there's a duplicate of the 2nd table, it isn't there when I create the post, not sure why it shows up in the final.

image.png

Looked like the Eagles had decided going into the first round that they would not spend first round draft picks on a QB in 2022.

The 2022 class was not considered strong. 2023 looked better. (This is not an endorsement of Hurts)

They now have 2 first round picks in 2023 if Hurts doesn't work out. 

32 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

Looked like the Eagles had decided going into the first round that they would not spend first round draft picks on a QB in 2022.

The 2022 class was not considered strong. 2023 looked better. (This is not an endorsement of Hurts)

They now have 2 first round picks in 2023 if Hurts doesn't work out. 

If the Eagles decide to not continue with Hurts after this season then it's much more likely those licks are used to trade for a QB like Lamar than draft one.  This roster is currently built to contend now.  I doubt they want to start over with a rookie QB on a ready built roster.  That will likely be a last case scenario if Hurts doesn't progress as much as they would like this year and then there isn't a veteran top QB available next year. 

Well, if Hurts can't read a defense this year, he gets replaced midseason by Minshew or Strong. (unless we can trade for Pickett, of course)

Hurts is projected to have 1,000 more yards than last season?

Ok then.

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

definetly saving this twitter message to look at again in January

6 minutes ago, Fresh_Prince said:

definetly saving this twitter message to look at again in January

It just doesn't even make sense. If his passing is going up that dramatically his rushing will go down. If his rushing is the same as last year, he's not passing for an extra 1,000 yards. This would be like shattering Lamar Jackson's MVP season. 

21 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Ok then.

If he has these stats this season with a 2.5 to 1 TD/INT ratio, he'll be the starter in 2023.

I doubt he does, but hoping to be wrong.

15 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

It just doesn't even make sense. If his passing is going up that dramatically his rushing will go down. If his rushing is the same as last year, he's not passing for an extra 1,000 yards. This would be like shattering Lamar Jackson's MVP season. 

Josh Allen 2nd year: 3,089 yards passing & 510 rushing yards.

Josh Allen 3rd year: 4,544 passing yards & 421 rushing yards.

30 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Ok then.

Seems like this should be a thread all its own.  Put this tweet up as the OP and follow Hurts’ progress through the regular season.  You know, just like on TPIR:

33 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Ok then.

Smith’s yards decrease from last year.  pff!  (The sound their acronym makes so fits their crap.)

5 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Josh Allen 2nd year: 3,089 yards passing & 510 rushing yards.

Josh Allen 3rd year: 4,544 passing yards & 421 rushing yards.

Ah the impossible bar you love to hold Hurts to.

Josh Allen again lmao. I can't wait for that sheet to go away. 

3 hours ago, aptosbird said:

The Eagles have been playing the long game with the QB position. I do not believe it has anything to do with Hurts. They cornered themselves and have just had no better long term solutions to make the switch. In the meantime they are adding pieces. At the end of the year they have to make that long term decision with the draft, FA or an extension. I just don't think Hurts can make a big enough jump to be considered in the conversation.

The draft makes sense to me. You have the ammo to get one, it's a pretty good crop at the position and you would be resetting with a rookie pay scale with a pretty good roster intact. You would have free agency to improve whatever areas you choose for a few years as well before needing to hopefully extend the rookie QB on a big extension. 

13 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Ah the impossible bar you love to hold Hurts to.

Dumbest comparison in the history of comparisons. Not to mention how rare it is for a QB to make that kind of jump even with elite throwing talent. Yet dead arm hurts is gonna do it no problem... Effing joke

52 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Ok then.

I don’t think that’s necessarily unreasonable when you consider he missed two full games last year. If you’re projecting he plays all seventeen games, you’d have to assume he’d get about 500 more yards if you’re viewing him as the exact same player he was last year. When you account for natural improvement from season two to season three, along with the addition of Brown, another 500 yards seems rational. To me, anyways.

2 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

WTH are you talking about?  We were talking about Hurts total yards vs. Prescott total yards.  Hence my post you quoted.  

May have misquoted. Talking about being satisfied with Hurts because they didn't draft Pickett. They got a QB with similar passing stats as a UDFA.

10 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I don’t think that’s necessarily unreasonable when you consider he missed two full games last year. If you’re projecting he plays all seventeen games, you’d have to assume he’d get about 500 more yards if you’re viewing him as the exact same player he was last year. When you account for natural improvement from season two to season three, along with the addition of Brown, another 500 yards seems rational. To me, anyways.

From what I’m able to find, Josh Allen is the only QB in NFL history to go over 4,000 passing yards and 750 rushing yards in the same season, just last year.  Kyler Murray got close at 3,900 yards and change.  It’s pretty rare.

It requires pretty efficient work to go along with durability.  I don’t see Hurts being capable.

Archived