EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

3 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

I would be surprised if either makes it off PUP before the season starts. No need to rush them. 

I would think Toth would want to come back to play.  He may not have a roster spot given the depth on the o-line.  Jackson seems like one where he would be a potential PS player vs. roster.  

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. Only one reason on a list that includes Mahomes, Wilson, Prescott and Watson.

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Yes. Only one reason on a list that includes Mahomes, Wilson, Prescott and Watson.

A hammer will always find a nail.

11 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Deshaun Watson, an African American QB with pending sexual assault suspension looming, made the list.  It is not about race in the slightest.

13 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

It’s honestly the worst year to make the argument for lamar being top 10. Before he got hurt he had 16 td passes (2 rushing tds), 13 ints and 6 fumbles. He was on pace to finish the year with 23 td passes, 18 ints and 9 fumbles and 3 rushing tds. His QB rating was 87 and his QBR was 50.7. After his mvp year and before last year you could make that case. But his performance last year even prior to his injury wasn’t that good. 

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

But they sure did put in a bunch of scouting on Pickett, they have had the line in the water for a QB since the 2021 draft.

They did and that answers the question of what they thought about him and Hurts.  

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Yes Barnett who sat on market and no one really wanted? Yes he’s a huge play for eagles to be the backup depth guy. The only reason why Derek Barnett is back is because no one else in the league wanted him and they got him back for a value deal which gave them depth.   

see Barnett… same applies Harris. Also if they didn’t sign Harris what were they gonna do at safety? They had Marcus Epps and Wallace. that’s was pretty much it on the depth chart. Were the eagles going to have a depth chart of 1 safety with any sort of starting experience? That’s why Harris is back. Heck they wanted Williams from the saints but missed out cause they were trying to upgrade a position that’s been mediocre to below average for 2-3 years now. That’s about solving an issue that’s been a problem since about 2018 

Got white on a value contract. Again what were they gonna do sit around go back into this season with the same crap linebackers? knowing they weren’t good enough last year and one of poorest units in the league? They signed him cause their linebackers weren’t good, he was good value and improved that unit that was one of the worst on the league 

tart was out there for 2.5 months and got him for pennies on the dollar. again that’s called if there’s a guy out there that has good value at a cheap price the Eagles are always interested whether or not Jalen hurts is here or not.

Pascal a 5th wr. again got him on a dirt cheap contract. Whether or not hurts is here or not are always looking to add guys they perceive have value at a cheap price. add on has experience with sirianni and they also didn’t know they would be able to acquire Aj brown. Add on reagor and JJAW were useless so they couldn’t just sit idle with just ward, Watkins and smith as the only competent WRs on the roster. Frankly if pascal would’ve known the eagles were going to acquire brown I’m guessing he would’ve chose elsewhere  

kelce is back cause hes freaking kelce. Kelce wanted to retire he wouldn’t be here. He’s back because he’s one of the most beloved Eagles players and he wants to still play. And likely will be here whether hurts or whomever is at Qb until whenever he wants to stop playing. he’s likely gonna be back just like Jason peters. Who they kept bringing back even though he was done. 

Cox is the only one and that’s because the organization a. Wanted to treat him right for what he’s done for the franchise in the past and b. The only guys of value they had on the roster at the time at the position that were any good were Williams and hargrave. And they also didn’t know they’d get Davis at that time. 

the Philadelphia eagles make moves to help the PHILADELPHIA EAGLES. They made those moves because it either helped to upgrade positions that were bad the previous year(s), they also got a lot of them on value contracts and two beloved players in eagles history and they wanted to do right by them and they wanted to keep playing here. 

you think the eagles wouldn’t have tried to upgrade safety, linebacker and wide receiver or bring back depth or bring back two starters if minshew or whomever was at Qb? Please. Whether hurts was here or not, howie is going to try to fix issues with the roster. The eagles have and will always look to add talent and upgrade positions on the roster regardless if they have the long term Qb or not. 

You are downplaying the impact of length of contracts. Howie didn’t fix much past 2022.

Defense - 

DE - Barnett on a two year deal but the second year looks fake. Graham aging out.

DT - Cox, Hargrave on one year.

LB - Edwards, White on one year.

CB - Bradberry on one year 

S - Harris, Tartt, Epps on one year, Chachere one year but restricted  

Basically, the D is a rental this year. Basically added Dean, David and Johnson  

Offense

IOL. - Kelce on on year deal, Seumalo on a one year, depth Opeta, Dillard, Clark and Toth on one year, Anderson an ERFA (vaunted depth at OL not looking so deep now).

WR - Pascal on a one year deal, Ward on one year 

TE  - JJAW and Rodgers on one year (who cares as neither likely to make the team), Jackson an ERFA.

RB - Sanders, one year, Scott on one year deal

QB - Minshew on one year, Sinnett an ERFA

Defense more rental than not. Offense not as strong in 2023 either. OL can take a beating.  I am not arguing for or against Hurts but you kind of downplayed Howie’s rental strategy applying to 2022 season. 

Howie also either wasted a bunch of resources on CBs or plans to carry ten of them. 

Yep, Howie still sucks. 

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

It’s honestly the worst year to make the argument for lamar being top 10. Before he got hurt he had 16 td passes (2 rushing tds), 13 ints and 6 fumbles. He was on pace to finish the year with 23 td passes, 18 ints and 9 fumbles and 3 rushing tds. His QB rating was 87 and his QBR was 50.7. After his mvp year and before last year you could make that case. But his performance last year even prior to his injury wasn’t that good. 

Brady, Mahomes, Herbert, Allen, Rodgers, Burrow, Stafford and Wilson are ahead of Jackson, and there is no debate.

59 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

You are downplaying the impact of length of contracts. Howie didn’t fix much past 2022.

Defense - 

DE - Barnett on a two year deal but the second year looks fake. Graham aging out.

Offense

IOL. - Kelce on on year deal, Seumalo on a one year, depth Opeta, Dillard, Clark and Toth on one year, Anderson an ERFA (vaunted depth at OL not looking so deep now).

TE  - JJAW and Rodgers on one year (who cares as neither likely to make the team), Jackson an ERFA.

Defense more rental than not. Offense not as strong in 2023 either. OL can take a beating.  I am not arguing for or against Hurts but you kind of downplayed Howie’s rental strategy applying to 2022 season. 

Howie also either wasted a bunch of resources on CBs or plans to carry ten of them. 

Yep, Howie still sucks. 

My point to him was those guys weren’t just signed as a we are in a complete win now mode. They were done because some of those guys they are ready to move away from in a year (Cox, hargrave), some were just bodies and hold overs for a year cause they couldn’t fix everything in one offseason or they got them cheap for a year to see how they fit in the system and could eventually sign them long term. 

Tbh some of the guys they have on one year deals i don’t think they are planning on extending.

imo Cox and hargrave i think were gone anyway. I think they envision Williams and Davis to be the replacements and starters going forward. They need more depth going forward after this year. Before drafting Davis they couldn’t really just afford to let Cox go without creating another hole as they would’ve been left with Williams and hargrave at the position and not much else.   

White was signed cause he came on a value contract and could help this year. i believe if you asked the eagles their plan was always to have hassan, dean and Taylor be the future starters at linebacker going forward. So unless white plays great are you gonna want to pay him? If those are the guys you think are gonna be your starters going forward. I think at the price they got white he’d be good value for a year and give depth and competition to Taylor and dean 

As for pascal, imo I believe he was brought in to try to help mentor and get Jalen Reagor (and help other young WRs in sirianni’s offense) on track. if he couldn’t at least they’d have another WR who knows the offense and isn’t completely useless and at a bargain bin price  

they signed bradberry cause he came available and at a value contract. I don’t think they did much to solve it long term unless he plays well and they sign him midseason to an extension. Even then slay and bradberry aren’t young  

Tart and Harris was signed cause they struck out on Williams and were left with wallace and Epps at safety. They were fall back plans and didn’t want to get locked into those guys long term hence the 1 year hold over. It was less about win now with those guys as it was we need some sort of depth and hold over for a year.   They were never going into the season with just wallace and Epps as the main guys at safety

theres 3 positions outside of Qb where they really have minimal in terms of long term stability or projected long term replacements. Safety, corner and defensive end. (I’d say running back but i think they like gainwell more than some on here and envision him having a bigger role after sanders is gone) 

just pointing out how many of those guys you listed do you want to be in a long-term contract going forward with? At the moment I would say a majority of those guys you don’t wanna be in a long-term contract with right now. because they’re likely either on the decline or they haven’t proven that they can play in your system. Some of those moves were to help the team win this this year by making the team better. But some of them were also because they evaluated the player and they got them on a contract of value. I think White on a one-year $3 million contract is a good contract. Because you get to know if he plays in your system well and you’re not tied into them long-term if he can’t and $3 million is great value if he winds up being a starter whom you could sign long term 

really the Eagles went into the off-season and said we have a whole bunch of weaknesses. So they had  add some players or stay status quo. So they went out and got some guys on what they perceived are value contracts even if they’re one year see if they fit the system and if they hit could sign them long-term. And some they don’t want to keep around for much longer but needed them this year otherwise they’d have even more holes. He didn’t just go into the offseason and say you know what we’re so sold on Jalen hurts and we’re ready to win a Super Bowl now so we’re just gonna add all these guys. They added them because the team had a bunch of weakness that they had to address, didn’t want to invest long term in some of the pricer guys at positions they don’t value and they couldn’t come back with the same team they went in with last year

no offense I don’t see the eagles saying we’re so sold on Jalen hurts and we are so ready to win big that we need to go out and get kazir white due that putting Jalen hurts over the top. They looked at the linebackers and likely thought they were horrible last year but had hopes for Hassan and Taylor but might not need white long term of Taylor and dean pan out. So they could get this guy from one year to see if he fits the system at a value price to them so let’s do it to improve our unit.

17 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

They did and that answers the question of what they thought about him and Hurts.  

We don't know which 2022 QB the Eagles had ranked #1 on their board. Maybe Pickett, maybe not.

We know that the Eagles traded for AJ Brown over taking any QB or any other player at that point in the draft.

Also, the AJ Brown deal was in the works prior to the draft.

So, Eagles wanted DT and WR via trade and trade out to 2023.

Their decision going into the draft was No QB. 

Not Hurts over Pickett. Just Hurts is still developing. Let's see what he's got.

33 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Why would they be in on the Watson and Wilson talks if they truly beleived Hurts was the answer.  They didn't like Pickett which is understandable.  He isn't a sure bet prospect.  He doesn't have some monster arm or elite athleticism.  He's a an underwhelming choice.  

Eagles are in on everybody if we believe the press.  I doubt they were seriously in on Watson. Did they call and inquire, sure.  Doing due diligence.  Figure same on Wilson.  That said, neither Watson or Wilson ever said they would waive their no trade clause for the Eagles.  Contrary, both pretty much shot that down.  I strongly suspect the Eagles being "in” on the talks was more in the mind of media than the Eagles.  They also did easy due diligence on two QBs in one game when they went to the other side of the state, hardly newsworthy. And that big contract for Strong?  In the scheme of NFL contracts (UDFA contracts can lock the player for three years, at the league minimum if the player sticks) really is a bargain if Strong shows the potential to be a third string back up.  That’s hardly the first round cost that some posters were suggesting pre draft.  That doesn’t make them all in on Hurts. All in would be an extension at a starter amount, which hasn’t happened. I believe they are "all in” on Hurts at the moment on the "bird in the hand” basis of analysis.  That could change at any time a better option surfaces. 

I also have posited that we hit season three of the Eagles 2020 draft this year.  If Hurts is going to show he has what it takes to be a franchise QB, it is this year.  Most have their doubts and some have nailed that coffin shut and buried it.  I would argue the latter is a tad premature but having the shovels and hammers ready would be prudent going into the season.  I could easily see Hurts starting next season as a starter while the rookie sits.

I do hope that Howie doesn’t rent Jimmy G, Kirk C, or the loser of the contests in Pittsburgh or  Carolina. 

8 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Deshaun Watson, an African American QB with pending sexual assault suspension looming, made the list.  It is not about race in the slightest.

I don't know who Ruiz is and whether he means it's because of race.  If that is what he meant, then he missed the mark.  

37 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

This is a better tweet:

3 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

This is a better tweet:

Pretty incredible work. 

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Brady, Mahomes, Herbert, Allen, Rodgers, Burrow, Stafford and Wilson are ahead of Jackson, and there is no debate.

Yep. I don't even understand the uproar. That leaves Watson, Prescott and Jackson for two spots. I have no strong opinion on it but it's not crazy that Jackson is the one that's right at 11. 

27 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

This is a better tweet:

The bestest tweet

1 hour ago, BigEFly said:

Defense - 

On that list, the only one we really need to keep is Hargrave. If anything you have just shown how well the defense got built.

David? And after this year you won‘t forget about Reddick.

Offense

Oh noes! Opeta, Clark, Toth and Anderson!

If only the Eagles wouldn‘t neglect the OL so much..

Again, whom of those do we really need to keep for sure? I‘m fine with everyone on the list earning another contract this year.

It‘s how a good roster is build.

A bunch of resources? Well, refreshing take.. just before Bradberry everyone felt the position was not taken care of. Are you talking about day three picks and udfa contracts?

Yep, Howie still sucks. 

Sure, just keep on going.

it is with the nfl and most sports these days, push that color

1 hour ago, BigEFly said:

Yep, Howie still sucks. 

OL looks pretty solid with young players developing.  The vets are on short-term contracts as they should be, so that the PT goes to the younger players.

The back-up CB bunch is a number game.  Most are young and unproven, also low cost.  Getting a bunch on the roster and see who will emerge.  The rest they can discard.

The team needs to do a better job on developing young players and stagger them in pipeline (the OL is moving along this fashion).  If they can't do that, the rental is the only way to fill holes and they will be stuck with it.   

52 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Eagles are in on everybody if we believe the press.  I doubt they were seriously in on Watson. Did they call and inquire, sure.  Doing due diligence.  Figure same on Wilson.  That said, neither Watson or Wilson ever said they would waive their no trade clause for the Eagles.  Contrary, both pretty much shot that down.  I strongly suspect the Eagles being "in” on the talks was more in the mind of media than the Eagles.  They also did easy due diligence on two QBs in one game when they went to the other side of the state, hardly newsworthy. And that big contract for Strong?  In the scheme of NFL contracts (UDFA contracts can lock the player for three years, at the league minimum if the player sticks) really is a bargain if Strong shows the potential to be a third string back up.  That’s hardly the first round cost that some posters were suggesting pre draft.  That doesn’t make them all in on Hurts. All in would be an extension at a starter amount, which hasn’t happened. I believe they are "all in” on Hurts at the moment on the "bird in the hand” basis of analysis.  That could change at any time a better option surfaces. 

I also have posited that we hit season three of the Eagles 2020 draft this year.  If Hurts is going to show he has what it takes to be a franchise QB, it is this year.  Most have their doubts and some have nailed that coffin shut and buried it.  I would argue the latter is a tad premature but having the shovels and hammers ready would be prudent going into the season.  I could easily see Hurts starting next season as a starter while the rookie sits.

I do hope that Howie doesn’t rent Jimmy G, Kirk C, or the loser of the contests in Pittsburgh or  Carolina. 

I don't think the rumors are just media speculation.  We also didn't hear about them being interested in Brady when he was coming available even when the Eagles had some concerns about Wentz at that point.  Also it was pretty clear after one season of Bradford the team wanted to move on from him.  It's a combination of the value the team rightly puts on the position and how they see Hurts.  

You hit on something important in that they are not moving on from Hurts for what they consider a mediocre type upgrade.  They will only do it if they have an elite prospect or what they consider a top 10 QB currently in the League.  They have no problem seeing if Hurts can be that type of player and I don't think they will look to move on from him even if they do trade up and draft a rookie in 2023.  

18 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Massive downgrade 

WTF is acrisure? sounds like a fungal cream. 

Race baiters are thriving in todays world

12 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

WTF is acrisure? sounds like a fungal cream. 

Some Michigan based insurance company

Archived