EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

2008 was the team, but the 1993 Phillies were the craziest bunch of loons that got together and had career years.  The beginning of Philadelphia’s hate for Toronto. 

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Vortex said:

A little more scouting evaluation on Strong. Hopefully his pocket presence and not holding the ball can be coached out of him. If the knee holds up.

6. CARSON STRONG, Nevada (6-3 ½, 230, no 40, 3-6): Fourth-year junior, three-year starter. "From a physical component standpoint he’s like the best pure pocket passer in the draft,” one scout said. "He has good arm strength and can throw accurate touch balls. But he can’t avoid the rush. He’s Paxton Lynch 2.0. He’s got an arm, but he’s a statue. That will always be his downfall. It all comes down to the right knee.” His knee problems began late in his prep career at Vacaville, Calif. Had surgery on the knee in high school and then two more in college. "He reminded me of Nick Foles,” another scout said. "He can’t move. He’s got a bad knee. He can get pretty streaky.” Finished with a passer rating of 103.4. Never ran for a TD. "I’d take him in the third but he’s got a bad knee,” said a third scout. "He throws the football as good as any of ‘em. But he’s probably got the best chance to bust because he’s got a bad knee.” Hands were 9 1/8. Wonderlic of 22. "That guy’s got no chance,” a fourth scout said. "He’s not accurate. He’s streaky. He takes a million sacks. I just don’t see how that guy survives in the NFL.”

16 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

Only way he makes it in the NFL is if he learns to take what the defense gives him and then use that cannon to beat them when they start cheating. Simple QB stuff to talk about but when you are used to being able to throw it up and your guys just go get it ...things are different in the NFL. Cole Turner made some wild catches when it mattered 

Carson Wentz had a Wonderlic score of 40. How did that work out? 24 is considered average, so whatever. I'm pulling for this Carson to make it, if Jalen doesn't cut it. Be quite a story. Howie has been great with late draft & UDFA's in his tenure. This class seems the best yet. Can see 5-6 people making the 53 at some point next year or year after. May have to tuck a few on practice squad for a bit.

4 minutes ago, jojodancer said:

Carson Wentz had a Wonderlic score of 40. How did that work out? 24 is considered average, so whatever. I'm pulling for this Carson to make it, if Jalen doesn't cut it. Be quite a story. Howie has been great with late draft & UFDA's in his tenure. This class seems the best yet. Can see 5-6 people making the 53 at some point next year or year after. May have to tuck a few on practice squad for a bit.

I'm a huge fan of Strong man. It's who I wanted in the draft lol his lack of mobility doesn't bug me as much as quite a few on this board. You may have read what I put wrong 

4 minutes ago, The Blackfish said:

2008 was the team, but the 1993 Phillies were the craziest bunch of loons that got together and had career years.  The beginning of Philadelphia’s hate for Toronto. 

Harry Kalas was the best. 

6 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

I'm a huge fan of Strong man. It's who I wanted in the draft lol his lack of mobility doesn't bug me as much as quite a few on this board. You may have read what I put wrong 

I quoted you instead of original post. Fixed. Agreed. How does a guy who was allowed to call his own plays, considered not too bright, as inferred here? This guy has a clue of where to go with the ball, as Nick stated. 

8 minutes ago, jojodancer said:

Only way he makes it in the NFL is if he learns to take what the defense gives him and then use that cannon to beat them when they start cheating. Simple QB stuff to talk about but when you are used to being able to throw it up and your guys just go get it ...things are different in the NFL. Cole Turner made some wild catches when it mattered 

Carson Wentz had a Wonderlic score of 40. How did that work out? 24 is considered average, so whatever. I'm pulling for this Carson to make it, if Jalen doesn't cut it. Be quite a story. Howie has been great with late draft & UFDA's in his tenure. This class seems the best yet. Can see 5-6 people making the 53 at some point next year or year after. May have to tuck a few on practice squad for a bit.

Hurts had a 21.

Just now, eagle45 said:

Hurts had a 21.

That’s good for a running back.

Just now, CouchKing said:

That’s good for a running back.

A 21 is fine for any position, since the real goal of the test is to weed out the <12 crowd.  But it’s just interesting that the qb who is all about intangibles only didn’t do a bit better on that.

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I guess his NFL comeback is on hold? 

Geez. Can't believe there was ever a time we eviscerated Reid/Howie for passing on him for Graham.

19 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I think that whole CTE thing is kicking in early for him.

Did Charles Walls get the position Hunt was interviewing for or was he interviewing for another position?

1 hour ago, The Blackfish said:

My favorite team of all time.  So much fun.  Anyone who's a Phillies fan needs to watch Whatever it Takes Dude.  A great video about the season.

Oh, F Joe Carter.

16 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

No one brought up politics, you moron.  Leave that ish out of here.  

It’s not politics to say you are deflecting like Trump. Not surprised you don’t understand that though. 🙂

4 hours ago, justrelax said:

Smith will be more of a slot receiver than Watkins. Slot and motion.

I don’t think so.  I think every WR on the team that gets into games will have routes in the slot so projecting number of plays is difficult at this point.  I think Brown will see more slot than Smith. But I do think Watkins will see some outside routes.  I think we may see a fair amount of Pascal in the slot and Reagor too.  In fact, if he finally gets it, that a spot is not guaranteed by draft slot, I could see Reagor might even have a shot at starting slot WR.  I believe he has the talent, it’s the discipline he lacks.  That’s curable and all on him.  To earn playing time, he is going to have to make Sirianni believe that he buys into the five points and after last year, he is probably going to have to prove that every play.  I think Pascal buys into the five points. I think it is part of Smith’s makeup. Brown looks like a five point guy.   Watkins really embraced it last offseason. Will be interesting if he hits a wall or keeps improving.  He is a good Z but his best moves came out of the slot last year.  (BTW, I think even the most Ward s a JAG posters would probably agree, he is a five points guy and frankly, wouldn’t have hung around as long as he has, if he wasn’t.). Wonder if our new, old TE has bought in yet.

1 hour ago, 315Eagles said:

I think that whole CTE thing is kicking in early for him.

My wife and I have a very clear agreement that if she were ever to get the urge to kill me that poisoning is not allowed, she knows I've requested she do it quick and easy, none of this poisoning me over a months time nonsense or burying me up to my head in the desert pushing me off a cliff or torture stuff 

Just feed me a stick of dynamite, quick and easy, and  call it a day.👍

Hope Earl is found and faces his consequences and his family is safe from him and he gets the help he obviously needs.

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Sounds like CTE.  Very sad... on so many levels.

4 hours ago, DEagle7 said:

Good background. Interestingly, with the Packers he was the Southwest scout. Given the Eagles just parted ways with the Southwest scout, I wonder if in his interview he proposed personnel for the position as well as possibly Casey’s.  (Interestingly, not a lot of rookies, UDFAs or tryouts from the Southwest area and our last big swing from the region was Reagor.  I do wonder if Reagor’s performance had a role in these changes.)

1 hour ago, jojodancer said:

Carson Wentz had a Wonderlic score of 40. How did that work out? 24 is considered average, so whatever. I'm pulling for this Carson to make it, if Jalen doesn't cut it. Be quite a story. Howie has been great with late draft & UDFA's in his tenure. This class seems the best yet. Can see 5-6 people making the 53 at some point next year or year after. May have to tuck a few on practice squad for a bit.

Wonderlic is used to measure speed of processing. But it is a flawed tool. I processed the Wonderlic questions faster than I can read an NFL defense.  Outdated tool.  Put some virtual reality googles on that measure eye movement and reaction time to real NFL game scenarios. 

1 hour ago, Shalodeep said:

Does his consistency both you?

Just now, BigEFly said:

Does his consistency both you?

Young QBs usually struggle with consistency, especially with a bad base.   Hurts struggles with consistency, because his base is bad, and looks to run rather than throw.  Strong's base will either get stronger with healing, or it will remain an issue and likely the downfall of his NFL career.   Hurts' base is an issue, but for a different reason.  He should have gotten it tighter by now, but instead of learning how to move in the pocket and maintain his base to throw, he's been encouraged, at every level so far, to use his mobility to escape the pocket and improvise.  Hurts needs to be pocket discipline, but I just don't see it happening.  He's being encouraged to run too much for the coaches to be able to instruct him in the discipline he needs in the pocket.  This is the delicate balance of short-term versus long-term gains.  

1 hour ago, Infam said:

It’s not politics to say you are deflecting like Trump. Not surprised you don’t understand that though. 🙂

Wow, you’ve got issues that need more vaccines and boosters

Archived