EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Shalodeep said:

A one legged man rushed back to help his teammates get drafted this year had consistency issues??? Color me surprised. Still passed for 70% completion percentage 74 touchdowns to 19 interceptions. Pretty consistent for a one legged man 

Don’t throw stats at it, watch the game film.  Heck, Hurts had a better QB rating than Strong in their last years of college, threw for 69.7% his last year at Oklahoma (when he got in as a junior, 70.9%. Over his college career, 80 TDs with 20 interceptions.  I would offer he was playing against better competition than Strong.   But that’s stats.  Film showed Hurts to be a one look and run QB in college.  Film on Strong shows a QB that has a bit of a tendency to stare down a receiver a bit too long.  Film on Strong shows some WTF inconsistent throws.  So, I’ll ask again but wore it a bit better, based on the Nevada games you watched over the last three years,  does his inconsistency bother you.  

29 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

Make sure the cliff is high enough I guess. 

Just make sure if you and the wife are anywhere near a cliff you keep 2 eyes on her at all times.

Yup, it's why I don't have a life insurance policy worth jack, I watch way  too much crime tv and a pricey life Insurance policy is just begging your wife to whack you...

No thanks I'd rather live longer and be buried in a pine box in a shallow grave 👎

3 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Muscle memory.  He's played a ton of football, and at every level, his legs have been his saving grace.   Is it impossible?  Of course not.  But, he should have been coached on how to play from the pocket from day 1 in the NFL.  Instead, from Day 1, he was used as a gadget player.  He was put into the game specifically to run the ball, not throw the ball.  Not throw from the pocket, but to run almost exclusively.   Then he got the starts at the end of the season, and he was still running.  That was to be expected as he wasn't trained to be a QB in the NFL, so he reverted to improv.  Then came the new coaching staff, the new offense and what did we see... a struggling QB who didn't have any pocket presence and panicked frequently inside a perfectly clean pocket and gave up all mechanics of how to be a QB.  The coaches then decided they needed to revamp the offense.  And the choice given by the coaches speaks volumes... rather than simplifying the passing offense for him, they pretty much scrapped it and went to the run heavy scheme which featured him as a runner more and more.  Asking him to run more isn't going to make him better in the pocket, on the contrary, it is going to reinforce the bad habits of letting his legs get him out of trouble rather than his mind, his eyes and his arm.  

Now, flip the script... what will Strong do in the NFL?  Strong has to do the 'NFL QB' things inside the pocket, because he's limited in mobility, he needs to do the little things that the most successful QBs in the NFL do, or he'll fall flat on his face.  He can't get lazy about QB disciplines, because he doesn't have those other skills to fall back on.  He has his arm, his vision and he needs to have his base. 

These are very different styles, but one has proven to be effective in the NFL, and the other has always proven to come up short.  There has always been a ceiling that those types of QBs have always hit their head on... and their NFL careers have been limited in longevity as well.  (And I hope that we don't have to revisit the Qbs who can run versus the QBs that have to run.

The thing that bugs me about Hurts’ base is his tendency to crouch when he moves.  Well, that and his inconsistent foot placement that leads to a tendency at times to arm the ball.

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I think for most QBs who have been playing the position all their life, their mechanics are what they are. They can work on them during the off-season and learn some things but once the games start with bodies flying everywhere they mostly revert to what they know. Even with Carson it was short term success before he went back to doing splits and all the other bad habits. 

Tony Dungy is quoted talking about this in The Power of Habit. Now, he also talks about how you dissect the habit to learn new muscle memory. Not overnight but it works. Maybe we should mail Johnson and Hurts a copy of the book. 

5 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

The thing that bugs me about Hurts’ base is his tendency to crouch when he moves.  Well, that and his inconsistent foot placement that leads to a tendency at times to arm the ball.

He does that pre snap crouch too...gotta make it even harder to recognize the initial movement of defenders and explains his reluctance to go over the middle.

19 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

He was likely taught to crouch when running to protect himself.   Wouldn't want to expose himself by running too upright... which, of course, runs counter to 'standing tall in the pocket' to keep one's eyes downfield.

29 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Don’t throw stats at it, watch the game film.  Heck, Hurts had a better QB rating than Strong in their last years of college, threw for 69.7% his last year at Oklahoma (when he got in as a junior, 70.9%. Over his college career, 80 TDs with 20 interceptions.  I would offer he was playing against better competition than Strong.   But that’s stats.  Film showed Hurts to be a one look and run QB in college.  Film on Strong shows a QB that has a bit of a tendency to stare down a receiver a bit too long.  Film on Strong shows some WTF inconsistent throws.  So, I’ll ask again but wore it a bit better, based on the Nevada games you watched over the last three years,  does his inconsistency bother you.  

Meh... Big 12 isn't exactly a defensive stalwart conference.  I'd say that the defense played in the Mountain West is just a hair below the defensive prowess we see in the Big 12.

2-0 with Embiid in the lineup, and now we basically have a 0-0 series. 6ers in 6.

Might have been James harden’s best game as a sixer and this entire season. 

5 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

2-0 with Embiid in the lineup, and now we basically have a 0-0 series. 6ers in 6.

Let's hope.  

Rumors of James Harden's demise have been greatly exaggerated. Been dealing with a hamstring issue for months, as you see how it affects Lowry. Harden had some awesome games as recently as December, the "he's washed" narrative was never logical, he's just hurt, but still has tricks in his bag when he needs to pull em out.

3 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

That’s complete horseshittttt.  He plays hard when he wants to play hard.  He’s always been that way.  He’s just past his prime now and not near as good as he once was.  The hamstring might be bothering him.  But it doesn’t just come and go.  His effort does.  He still played like complete ass for most of the first half.  He’s not worth the deal they made. He’s more washed than some blind homer fans care to admit.  

His effort is fine. The difference tonight is his shot went down. Which it often hasn’t been because he has no lift on it due to his hamstring issues.

1 hour ago, HazletonEagle said:

Harden and Danny Dimes were the difference makers tonight.

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

E9D68B71-0359-4F3F-960B-59E3F76D3590.gif

His victory lap because he called out a bunch of us for being negative when Joel was out. Truth is, with Embiid out the sixers are mediocre, and if he were out the whole series they would be toast. Him playing the last two games injected much needed heart to the whole team. I thought they were dead, and without him they were.

I already said as much. Not sure why @justrelax feels the need to pile on. 🤷‍♂️

On 5/4/2022 at 9:24 AM, TorontoEagle said:

I love the smell of new blog in the morning.....smells like....trolls

Smells like troll 💩

17 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Let me guess.  You hope to lock him up long term, right?  Because his "hamstring” will get better?  

Depends on how long. If it’s 3 years, sure. They have no choice but to lock him up. They’re over the cap even without his salary. So if he walks, you aren’t going to be able to replace him with a salary that matches, so you’d essentially be losing him. I expect he will be a lot better next season, and if not and worst comes to worst at least he’s a playmaker and great passer who still gets you 22/10/5 and is money from the FT line. 

On 5/6/2022 at 11:55 AM, BigEFly said:

Gotcha. Like the steaks, seared and then cooked quickly.  Now a bear roast can be slowed smoked after a sear in contrast, but like you say, depends. I don’t know about you but with bear, I struggle to combat the fact I am eating a canine. 

Didn't think about it until now............................thanks :roll:

On 5/6/2022 at 12:09 PM, BigEFly said:

Some days the only thing biting are the pan fish. 

While this is true, thankfully I don't have to keep them to survive. In fact most of the time I throw back almost every fish I catch.

On 5/7/2022 at 9:50 AM, The guy in France said:

No, they are excellent hence the name PANFISH. Crappie and yellow perch, even white 👍

So you're telling me what I like and what I don't?  #notworththework

Archived