EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

Guest justrelax
31 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Since a good QB plays to 35 or older, age doesn't really matter, and you'd prefer a longer college track record to see how he adjusts to DC adjusting to what they see on film.

Don't underestimate dinking and dunking, most pro throws are within 20 yards of the LOS, so being accurate on "dink and dunk" passes is a positive for the NFL game.

Conversely, dinking and dunking enables a team to squeeze you. If everything is short there's not a lot of space the defense has to cover.

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Undrafted Eagles rookie Carson Strong is quickly making a name for himself

Geoffrey Knox
4-5 minutes

Carson Strong, Philadelphia Eagles (Mandatory Credit: Bill Streicher-USA TODAY Sports)

Carson Strong, Philadelphia Eagles (Mandatory Credit: Bill Streicher-USA TODAY Sports)

It was an intriguing close to May’s first week. On Thursday, the Philadelphia Eagles‘ rookie class reported and signed their first NFL contracts, one day after several of the veterans met with the media. On Friday, 12 undrafted free agents put pen to paper. One of the more notable is Carson Strong, a six-foot-four, 215-pound signal-caller who cut his teeth with the Nevada Wolf Pack at the NCAA level.

Several draft pundits had the two-time Mountain West Offensive Player of the Year graded as someone who could hear his name called somewhere between Round 3 and Round 4 of the most recent NFL Draft, but as all seven frames of the selection meeting wrapped and former Iowa State Cyclones quarterback Brock Purdy, this year’s ‘Mr. Irrelovent’, closed the show as the 262nd player taken, there were crickets in the Strong camp.

Tap those friends of yours, and wake them up. Strong is making quite the name for himself, and it isn’t because he’s the only quarterback present now that Philly’s other undrafted QB prospect, Bushnell Cup Winner E.J. Perry, signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Get used to discussions about Carson Strong. He’s going to be around.

So, here’s how things reportedly went down. The Eagles’ brass was very intrigued with Strong but signed the two-time First Team All-Ivy League star, Perry, as they thought landing Carson was out of the question. Well, things worked out better than the Birds could have hoped for.

Carson Strong signed on with Philly, earning a lot of coin in the process. He gets a $20,000 signing bonus and a $300,000 base guarantee, one of the largest guarantees ever for an undrafted free agent.

He joins an Eagles quarterback room housing QB1 Jalen Hurts, Gardner Minshew, and Reid Sinnett, but there’s no need to overthink in terms of why he got all of that money. Again, he’s going to be around for a while.

During his Friday afternoon visit with the media, Eagles head coach Nick Sirianni spent a little time talking about the new guy.

I thought he did a good job today of just… You know, it’s a lot. He’s reading plays differently. He’s running different plays. To have to go back there and manage everything… One thing I’m always impressed by, or not impressed by, is when a guy can come out and just call a play. There’s a lot of guys that don’t call plays, right? They’re looking to the sideline. We call plays in the huddle, so he was pretty smooth with that. He studied hard. He got ready for this day today. He was really sharp. He knew what to do (and) where to go with the football. He (has) a big arm. You definitely can see that, but those are tools to work with. His size and arm strength is noticeable when he’s out there.

In four seasons and 32 games at the collegiate level, Carson Strong completed 68.1 percent of his passes, racking up 9,368 passing yards in the process while tossing 74 touchdowns versus only 19 interceptions. If that translates, Philly has something on its hands and in its wheelhouse.

There were questions all offseason about whether the Birds would add a quarterback or draft one. In the end, they did neither, but they got lucky.

Rather than having to spend draft capital on a signal-caller, they added one as an undrafted rookie free agent, and they got a guy who, in all likelihood, should have been drafted anyway. Make no mistake about it. This guy can play. It should be fun to see how he progresses as we move through the rest of the spring and the summertime.

https://insidetheiggles.com/2022/05/07/undrafted-eagles-rookie-carson-strong/

He is going to work until he is QB1. Pack your bags Hurts. It's only a matter of time.

42 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

He is going to work until he is QB1. Pack your bags Hurts.

But but but....nobody outworks Hurts!

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

You guys have to head over to the UDFA thread, troll level is epic 

4BD7D25B-EDB8-491A-A4C8-D83CE9817541.jpeg

He's making EagleVa seem reasonable.

Pack it up. Time to go home, nothing we can do to top that. 

If I had to choose if I rather would go into this season with Hurts or Carr, I’d pick Hurts.

I'm hoping strong woks out. As hard as hurts works I think strong will work just as hard if not harder because it's not given to him. 

Main thing is hopefully the knee can hold up 

I think the upcoming QB class is going to end up being overrated because it’s coming off the horrendous 2022 class. I think Stroud and Young are good, but neither are in the class of Burrow or Lawrence. I think Rattler flat out sucks. Van Dyke is a brutal QB last name, no one with that last name is going to be a good QB. That’s an OL or LB last name. If the Eagles can’t get a top 2 QB in this class I’d rather go after Will Anderson than take someone like Van Dyke.

26 minutes ago, Infam said:

If I had to choose if I rather would go into this season with Hurts or Carr, I’d pick Hurts.

Would Tyree Jackson be your #2 QB as he suggested ??  Would Ward be your #3 ??

So sitting here on the beach on Oahu, thought I would peruse the tryouts.  Only one I really watched prior to the draft was Howard.  Notes are limited as it was Towson.  Big kid.  Notes say kind of reminds me of Staley in that they were similar in size and bruisers. Runs more upright than Staley but not too upright. I liked the way he uses his non football are on defenders.  Not exactly a straight arm punch but a bit of that. I thought he had reasonably good vision for the hole.  Bounced outside some that would work in college where he weighed as much as most LBs he faced but not in the pros. A quick fast but won’t run away.  Runs behind his pads through the hole.  Only one I think might be signed after rookie mini camp.  

Hicks-Onu at S is intriguing but that’s about it. No notes or memory of him.  

Tobias Oliver, just put me in coach I will play any position.  Played QB at Georgia Tech, WR, and CB. Decent athlete but that’s about all I recall of him.

Finally, speaking of Duce, nice of them to give his son a tryout.  

Surprised that no Ps were brought in.   Howie needs to work on that.

Fayad listed as a LB.  No chance at OLB.  Just not athletic enough. Don’t see how Ostman fits as an OLB in this scheme either. 

38 minutes ago, Infam said:

Yes, if your choice was intended to find the poorer QB so that a higher selection int the 2023 NFL draft was likely.....than your choice would be a good one.

You ask 32 HC/GMs if they had a choice between Carr and Hurts...as soon as they were done rolling on the floor laughing, they would answer (emphatically) Carr.

Carr isn't elite, but if he cost the same (which he obviously doesn't) he is an easy upgrade over Hurts.

13 minutes ago, The Blackfish said:

How in the world did the Saints go from being in one of the worst, if not worst cap positions to having the 5th most in cap space?

2 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

How in the world did the Saints go from being in one of the worst, if not worst cap positions to having the 5th most in cap space?

I guess Howie doesn't have an exclusive on cap magic.

7 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I’m not sure it’s correct especially Carolina’s number since I keep hearing how much the Browns would need to pay on Bakers contract before Carolina would sign him.   Unless that’s just Carolina not wanting to pay for Baker… I guess it could be. 

1 hour ago, Sack that QB said:

I think the upcoming QB class is going to end up being overrated because it’s coming off the horrendous 2022 class. I think Stroud and Young are good, but neither are in the class of Burrow or Lawrence. I think Rattler flat out sucks. Van Dyke is a brutal QB last name, no one with that last name is going to be a good QB. That’s an OL or LB last name. If the Eagles can’t get a top 2 QB in this class I’d rather go after Will Anderson than take someone like Van Dyke.

That’s reasonable 🧐

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Would Tyree Jackson be your #2 QB as he suggested ??  Would Ward be your #3 ??

Ok, that part eluded me.

44 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Kicking the can down the road 

2 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Mortgage is due. We moved on from renting.

Ever since Hurts said "rent's due" it's always made me think of the part from Coming to America, where the Super yell at the guy sleeping on the stairs "your rent's due MF'er!!"

36 minutes ago, The Blackfish said:

I’m not sure it’s correct especially Carolina’s number since I keep hearing how much the Browns would need to pay on Bakers contract before Carolina would sign him.   Unless that’s just Carolina not wanting to pay for Baker… I guess it could be. 

Spotrac and OTC basically say the same thing for them. The problem is they already sunk a 5th year option on Darnold and they would have to do it on Baker too. Paying $40 Million to have a QB room of Mayfield/Darnold for one year is dumb. Plus they have to sign their rookies so if they took on Mayfield as is, they spent most of their remaining money. 

2 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Mortgage is due. We moved on from renting.

Can payments be made from swagcoin?

Archived