EMB Blog: 2022 Regular Season (and beyond?) - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

Just now, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Unprecedented since the new Covid-inspired rules regarding activating guys off the practice squad. In other words, there really isn't any long term precedent. This is all about that anyway, the activating off the PS thing I mean. They didn't need to promote Covey to the 53-man roster for three weeks since he was a "free" activation. But now that that clock has expired for him, they'll no doubt put him on the 53.

I didn't check out all-22 or rewind/rewatch at any point, but do you recall a play in which about 4 Eagles on punt coverage watched the football roll 5 yards in the wrong direction without doing anything to down it?

• Replies 64k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I didn't check out all-22 or rewind/rewatch at any point, but do you recall a play in which about 4 Eagles on punt coverage watched the football roll 5 yards in the wrong direction without doing anything to down it?

If that was at the end of the 4th quarter, I agreed with that decision.   Let the clock roll.  The field position was meaningless.

Just now, eagle45 said:

I realize we are mid season leading up to a big game, but I always like to look ahead, especially, believe it or not, when things are looking good.  Let's assume Hurts actually sustains this.  What are the priorities of the offseason?

1. QB.  I have said many times I think the 2023 QB class is overrated.  I don't feel comfortable extending Hurts yet.  I'm not sure I'd feel great about it no matter WHAT he does this year.  But I DO feel comfortable with him starting in 2023 instead of a rookie from a class I don't like.  And I DON'T feel comfortable with a megadeal based on one season for a QB who still isn't a prototypical talent.  So Howie will have to navigate this one carefully.

2.  Roll back that extra first round pick with interest.  It maintains flexibility.  Pick up a 2024 first plus everything you can get in 2023.

3. Figure out what to do with all the players on defense with expiring deals.  Hargrave, Cox, Graham, White, Edwards, Bradberry, Epps, and CGJ all seem to have questionable contract situations for 2023.  Even if Howie could re-sign all of them, he probably shouldn't.  Aside from edge rusher, there probably isn't a need for premier pro-bowl talent level replacements at any of those spots.

4. I'd rather spend money on the aforementioned players than Miles Sanders.  They should probably plan on drafting a RB in rounds 3-4 (no sooner) and adding one veteran who is an upgrade over Scott.  I have nothing against Scott, but if you lose Sanders and replace him with a rookie, a veteran upgrade over Scott softens the blow.

1.  I felt the same but the more you watch the college game, the more I think the QB class could be stacked.  At the very least it will be deep.  I would say most QBs in the 2023 class will be ahead of where Hurts was as a draft prospect.  

2. Depends on who's available.  This team needs defense in the worst way.  I'm not seeing any head and shoulders defenders at this point in the season that the Eagles HAVE to get.  That will change but as of now I'm with you.  Keep rolling it back.

3. I've been anti-Hargrave extension for some time and while he is playing at a much higher level, I still don't know if I would.  Build the young core.  Epps, CGJ, Edwards, White.

4. Miles Sanders has had some nice runs this year but nothing that makes me say he's the guy.  I think the RB room could do a total makeover and they would be fine.  Scott played 7 snaps yesterday.  I'm ready to see what Trey Sermon can do too.

13 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Why?  

I think he could be good at it. You're not putting DeVonta back there to get hit over and over again. Quez isn't good at it. Scott has returner ability, he just needs to develop the ability to field the punts.

Plus, Scott doesn't really have a role on offense. Gainwell is getting more snaps, so it's not like you're taking his time away from anything. 

lol Chris Simms having a really hard time giving Hurts credit.  Two years in a row he's made Chris Simms look silly for his ranking of him.

5 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

BTW.  Benjamin St. Juste is a tool.  

He seemed pretty pleased with himself when he got away with DPI 40 yards downfield. S hand gestures required.

29 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I also think all 4 current WRs are very poor fits as returners.  Watkins is an anomaly in that he's got truly blinding speed when running routes as a WR and looks like Greg Ward speed when returning.  That's obviously a comfort thing, but comfort is a requirement for one of the most high pressure, turnover prone tasks in the game.  That's also why Allen scares me.

Devonta Smith isn't really a short area explosion kind of guy...he's more the prototypical route-master.  And if he takes as many hits over a full season as Covey took yesterday, we are all going to be nauseated.  

Pascal is just a possession WR body, not a PR type.

If they need a 5th WR for depth, then PR ability should be high on the priority list.

I'd try Gainwell. Definitely can't risk Smith in that role. 

2 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

He seemed pretty pleased with himself when he got away with DPI 40 yards downfield. S hand gestures required.

Were they also down 24 at that point too? I laughed that one.

4 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

What makes you think he’d be good at it.  Maybe he’s not.  I wouldn’t put our RB2 back there when your RB1 (not Hurts) is injury prone.  And I’m not a fan of putting D Smith back there either, BTW.  

I don't know that he would be, but that's why you work at it in practice. There's potential at least.

9 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

What makes you think he’d be good at it.  Maybe he’s not.  I wouldn’t put our RB2 back there when your RB1 (not Hurts) is injury prone.  And I’m not a fan of putting D Smith back there either, BTW.  

Yeah.  Wasn’t it when it was 24-3 or something?  

At the very least, Scott's build is better to take the beating that the PR seems to be getting than Covey or any of our starting WR.  He only played 7 offensive snaps yesterday so calling him RB2 is a stretch.  They are really rolling with Gainwell and if you have Scott as PR, you can use Covey's spot for Sermon.  

I'd much rather see Scott as PR and Sermon getting his carries. 

4 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yeah.  Wasn’t it when it was 24-3 or something?  

Correct - not a good look.

15 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

I think he could be good at it. You're not putting DeVonta back there to get hit over and over again. Quez isn't good at it. Scott has returner ability, he just needs to develop the ability to field the punts.

Disagree.

5 minutes ago, Thrive said:

The best player in football right now is Lamar Jackson. Ridiculous start to his season.

He is fun to watch. 

Guest justrelax

I have no problem with Covey at PR. He’s quick and fearless.,What happened on that muff is unclear to me but it sure looked like a gust of wind took it.

24 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Were they also down 24 at that point too? I laughed that one.

Well, if I was a WAS fan that would’ve been the time…

FDBEFBE2-1CDF-4EC2-96B4-38A7BBF6CAFB.jpeg

5 minutes ago, justrelax said:

I have no problem with Covey at PR. He’s quick and fearless.,What happened on that muff is unclear to me but it sure looked like a gust of wind took it.

Wind, sun.. lots of options.  Covey is 'fine'.  He's better than any other option we have right now.

13 minutes ago, justrelax said:

I’m fine with him if they commit to him.  Lifting him off the PS and combining that with PRBC will manufacture mistakes.

5 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Patriots play in Green Bay.  If they need to relocate the game for the Bucs they should relocate it to Gillette Stadium.  Give Patriots fans one last time to see Brady and it would give the Bucs a home crowd.  

7 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I’m fine with him if they commit to him.  Lifting him off the PS and combining that with PRBC will manufacture mistakes.

Was there ever an explanation as to why Smith was back there for the 2nd punt?  Did Covey get dinged?  Seemed very random.  I'm "fine" with him too unless there is a clear upgrade available or if someone else on the roster could be groomed such as Boston Scott.

Archived