EMB Blog: 2022 Regular Season (and beyond?) - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 64k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

Jacksonville has back to back wins by 28 and 24 points. They just hung 38 up against the Chargers and shut out Indy last week. No one is sleeping on them. 

Trevor Lawrence is putting up MVP like numbers. 

The table really is set this year. If we're still going strong come the trade deadline, I absolutely see an Ajayi-like move coming.

3 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

The table really is set this year. If we're still going strong come the trade deadline, I absolutely see an Ajayi-like move coming.

Josh Jacobs and anyone who can return punts

Through 3 games 

Jordan Davis - no sacks = Bust

Cam Jurgen - no snaps = Bust

Nakobe Dean - isn’t going to be DROY = Bust

3 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

They should just bring DeSean out of retirement to be the punt returner.  

Probably your best idea ever 

11 minutes ago, RLC said:

Josh Jacobs and anyone who can return punts

I can see the MNF cartoon now: Jalen Hurts at the frat house reuniting with his friend (Brown) and college teammates (Smith, Calcaterra, Jacobs/Damien Harris).

They should probably fill the roster spot with anyone. I don't think I've seen a team go 3 consecutive games with only 52 players. 

4 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Through 3 games 

Jordan Davis - no sacks = Bust

Cam Jurgen - no snaps = Bust

Nakobe Dean - isn’t going to be DROY = Bust

Probably your best idea ever 

I Second That GIFs | Tenor

As for punt returner, if Braxton berrios didn’t have the contract he did i could see the eagles being interested. The jets are going to likely sell at the deadline and Davis, moore and Wilson are ahead of him on the depth chart. So i could see the jets moving him. He’s been good on punt returns averaging 14 yards per which is second in the league. Sadly his contract likely makes it not likely. 

They don't need Desean Jackson or Dante Hall.  What they do need, however, is to eliminate the punt returner by committee.  That's just asking...no, begging...for muffed punts.

You won't find someone that is a weapon.  You don't need someone that is a weapon.  Just find someone who can secure the football without sweating it out, make the right decisions on when to catch, when to let it go, and who can decisively run a few paces upfield before getting taken down....and who can do it for every punt.

They made enough good moves in the offseason that they are allowed to botch something, but this was just irrational.  They Greg Lewis'd the PR situation this year.

This isn't even something that should take up draft capital.  I hate to say it...but I never really believed Greg Ward was injured.  I just figured there was a mutual understanding that no other team could possibly be interested in him and they gave him some extra cash in an injury settlement.  I'd consider bringing him in to Reno Mahe the position.

Just a thought: Allen the hurdler has speed and knows how to catch a football.  Not sure if he could take the contacts as a returner and how the coaches like his work in the PS.  A possibility to bring up in the next game. 

There are only 4 active WRs on the roster.  All performing well but a bit thin in depth.  They may need to add someone as the 5th WR.

4 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

They don't need Desean Jackson or Dante Hall.  What they do need, however, is to eliminate the punt returner by committee.  That's just asking...no, begging...for muffed punts.

You won't find someone that is a weapon.  You don't need someone that is a weapon.  Just find someone who can secure the football without sweating it out, make the right decisions on when to catch, when to let it go, and who can decisively run a few paces upfield before getting taken down....and who can do it for every punt.

They made enough good moves in the offseason that they are allowed to botch something, but this was just irrational.  They Greg Lewis'd the PR situation this year.

This isn't even something that should take up draft capital.  I hate to say it...but I never really believed Greg Ward was injured.  I just figured there was a mutual understanding that no other team could possibly be interested in him and they gave him some extra cash in an injury settlement.  I'd consider bringing him in to Reno Mahe the position.

Nah, unlike Mahe, Ward's decision making on when to catch the ball has never been great.

3 minutes ago, Penn7980 said:

Just a thought: Allen the hurdler has speed and knows how to catch a football.  Not sure if he could take the contacts as a returner and how the coaches like his work in the PS.  A possibility to bring up in the next game. 

There are only 4 active WRs on the roster.  All performing well but a bit thin in depth.  They may need to add someone as the 5th WR.

I also think all 4 current WRs are very poor fits as returners.  Watkins is an anomaly in that he's got truly blinding speed when running routes as a WR and looks like Greg Ward speed when returning.  That's obviously a comfort thing, but comfort is a requirement for one of the most high pressure, turnover prone tasks in the game.  That's also why Allen scares me.

Devonta Smith isn't really a short area explosion kind of guy...he's more the prototypical route-master.  And if he takes as many hits over a full season as Covey took yesterday, we are all going to be nauseated.  

Pascal is just a possession WR body, not a PR type.

If they need a 5th WR for depth, then PR ability should be high on the priority list.

5 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Nah, unlike Mahe, Ward's decision making on when to catch the ball has never been great.

yeah, Ward cost the Eagles yards and yards in field position by letting the ball roll inside the 10 and 5 yard line.

Something has to be done though.  Covey is not worth the 53rd spot....but no one is apparently as we go in to week 4 with a 52 man roster.  

Just now, schuy7 said:

Boston Scott should be spending 5-10 minutes every practice learning how to field punts. 

I’d like them to hire westbrook or have guys work with him in the offseason on punt returns. Granted westbrook was a unique talent but I’m sure he has a bunch of knowledge that can at least help 

2 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

yeah, Ward cost the Eagles yards and yards in field position by letting the ball roll inside the 10 and 5 yard line.

Something has to be done though.  Covey is not worth the 53rd spot....but no one is apparently as we go in to week 4 with a 52 man roster.  

I truly don’t understand that. I mean something is working but not having 53 is unprecedented.

I realize we are mid season leading up to a big game, but I always like to look ahead, especially, believe it or not, when things are looking good.  Let's assume Hurts actually sustains this.  What are the priorities of the offseason?

1. QB.  I have said many times I think the 2023 QB class is overrated.  I don't feel comfortable extending Hurts yet.  I'm not sure I'd feel great about it no matter WHAT he does this year.  But I DO feel comfortable with him starting in 2023 instead of a rookie from a class I don't like.  And I DON'T feel comfortable with a megadeal based on one season for a QB who still isn't a prototypical talent.  So Howie will have to navigate this one carefully.

2.  Roll back that extra first round pick with interest.  It maintains flexibility.  Pick up a 2024 first plus everything you can get in 2023.

3. Figure out what to do with all the players on defense with expiring deals.  Hargrave, Cox, Graham, White, Edwards, Bradberry, Epps, and CGJ all seem to have questionable contract situations for 2023.  Even if Howie could re-sign all of them, he probably shouldn't.  Aside from edge rusher, there probably isn't a need for premier pro-bowl talent level replacements at any of those spots.

4. I'd rather spend money on the aforementioned players than Miles Sanders.  They should probably plan on drafting a RB in rounds 3-4 (no sooner) and adding one veteran who is an upgrade over Scott.  I have nothing against Scott, but if you lose Sanders and replace him with a rookie, a veteran upgrade over Scott softens the blow.

4 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

I truly don’t understand that. I mean something is working but not having 53 is unprecedented.

It makes no sense at all.  Even if the 53rd is Covey, that opens up a spot on the PS to bring in another player that they could get a better look at.  Maybe another safety?  A DE?  I don't get it at all.

6 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

Unprecedented since the new Covid-inspired rules regarding activating guys off the practice squad. In other words, there really isn't any long term precedent. This is all about that anyway, the activating off the PS thing I mean. They didn't need to promote Covey to the 53-man roster for three weeks since he was a "free" activation. But now that that clock has expired for him, they'll no doubt put him on the 53.

Archived