EMB Blog: 2022 Regular Season (and beyond?) - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

3 minutes ago, justwinbaby said:

I don't think Allen has enough wiggle to be a punt returner. I wouldn't mind seeing it though. He'd probably be a better kick returner. Our special teams is no bueno.. the coverage unit is just yikes

sometimes too much wiggle gets you nowhere as a punt returner. That might be part of Covey's problem. Hes very quick. But there has only been 1 Dante Hall.

You gotta make the 1st guy miss, and get the hell up field. Like Hester, Sproles, Jackson, etc.

Maybe Allen can make the 1st man miss, maybe not. Would like to find out.

• Replies 64k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

sometimes too much wiggle gets you nowhere as a punt returner. That might be part of Covey's problem. Hes very quick. But there has only been 1 Dante Hall. You gotta make the 1st guy miss, and get the hell up field. Allen can probably handle that. We will see. Maybe he can make the 1st man miss, maybe not. Would like to find out.

Yeah I had higher hopes for Covey as the punt returner but there's guys in his face almost immediately so it's hard to tell where the fault lies either him or the coverage. I do want to see what Allen has though. Couldn't hurt as long as he isn't turning the ball over. 

4 minutes ago, justwinbaby said:

I don't think Allen has enough wiggle to be a punt returner. I wouldn't mind seeing it though. He'd probably be a better kick returner. Our special teams is no bueno.. the coverage unit is just yikes

It's a small predicament we find ourselves in, but Allen feels like the obvious short term answer.

Otherwise we would have to promote Covey to the 53 which isn't an optimal choice at this time. I'd also rather see what Allen can do than look externally ahead of this game as 4for4EaglesNest mentioned earlier.

And yeah, speaking of special teams, don't have any sense of comfort with Michael Clay at the helm but I should know better than judging this too harshly after 3 games...

1 minute ago, Eagz said:

It's a small predicament we find ourselves in, but Allen feels like the obvious short term answer.

Otherwise we would have to promote Covey to the 53 which isn't an optimal choice at this time. I'd also rather see what Allen can do than look externally ahead of this game as 4for4EaglesNest mentioned earlier.

And yeah, speaking of special teams, don't have any sense of comfort with Michael Clay at the helm but I should know better than judging this too harshly after 3 games...

I think it's been more than 3 games. I feel like this was a problem last year as well but I can't recall if it was this bad. They don't seem to emphasize special teams for some reason.

3 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Step 1 is reading the coverage before you make the decision to fair catch or not.  That’s where we have lacked in a punt returner for a long time.  

I am happy with Covey in that regard. In spite of his one muff, which came while fielding one on the run, he gives me confidence that it will be fielded cleanly. And has mostly made the right decisions.

If we try Allen and he doesnt break a few big ones, Id go back to Covey and be happy that we at least have a guy for the rest of the year who can secure it.

Im not sure Allen has PR experience. Im thinking he only did KRs in college.

6 minutes ago, justwinbaby said:

Yeah I had higher hopes for Covey as the punt returner but there's guys in his face almost immediately so it's hard to tell where the fault lies either him or the coverage. I do want to see what Allen has though. Couldn't hurt as long as he isn't turning the ball over. 

I did to. And I think he may eventually start breaking some big ones with more practice, and experience in the pros. But as of yet, he hasnt done anything impressive enough to keep Allen from getting a chance.

Id say Allen needs to show he is a big time playmaker though, or else I go back to Covey at least feeling comfortable with him securing the ball.

3 minutes ago, justwinbaby said:

I think it's been more than 3 games. I feel like this was a problem last year as well but I can't recall if it was this bad. They don't seem to emphasize special teams for some reason.

You're not wrong. I was looking at it in the microcosm of this season alone 🙂

3 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I did to. And I think he may eventually start breaking some big ones with more practice, and experience in the pros. But as of yet, he hasnt done anything impressive enough to keep Allen from getting a chance.

Id say Allen needs to show he is a big time playmaker though, or else I go back to Covey at least feeling comfortable with him securing the ball.

He does look very comfortable and confident fielding punts (outside of the one mishap) which is a big change from anyone else they have had since Sproles

3 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I’m not sure on him in that regard.  

After 1 muff Im not 100% sure anymore. But I do still feel good about him. Im probably at 95%. He has looked comfortable doing it and hasnt really bobbled any. The one muff was fielding it on the run towards a sideline which is a tough play. Could have happened to anyone. But cant happen repeatedly. Any more, Im done. But Ill give him 1 and still feel pretty good about it.

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I’m not talking about the muff.  I’m talking about reading the coverage and having the feel that he can either catch and go or has to fair catch it.  Nothing to do with tracking the ball and securing it.  Let’s say he tracks the ball just fine and is sure handed.  That’s only half of it before he starts to return.  Step 1 is determining if he had to fair catch or not.  

The muff, was knuckling.  That’s gonna happen.  

I’m probably closer to @HazletonEagle on this one, I think overall Covey is fine as the PR. I’d certainly given Allen a shot just to see (in a low pressure situation). 

We could go after a guy like Braxton Berrios at the trade deadline too.  I don't love trying to integrate new guys into a team mid season in general but returner doesn't seem like it would be that hard to get up to speed.  

31 minutes ago, Doc S. said:

Bolded are key.

I enjoy McCormack's various blends. Still experimenting with various home-mixed dry rubs but McCormacks always seems to figure in somewhere. Like their offerings as a base or an additive to what I'm doing with nice Beef cuts.

Experimenting with citrus, surely been done before, but Fresh squeezed OJ and Lemon to add a little acid to the marinade, coupled with the spice package yields a nice overnight soak. Finding my way with amounts/ratios...

I go to Lancaster County and buy my spices from the Amish.  And make my own rub mixes.   

I have one for Turkey (Dark Meat), Turkey (Light Meat), Pork, Chicken and Beef.  Trouble I have with the beef is that its great... but I can't remember my ratios exactly.  :lol:.   Sounds like I have tons more experimenting to do.   

5 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I’m not talking about the muff.  I’m talking about reading the coverage and having the feel that he can either catch and go or has to fair catch it.  Nothing to do with tracking the ball and securing it.  Let’s say he tracks the ball just fine and is sure handed.  That’s only half of it before he starts to return.  Step 1 is determining if he had to fair catch or not.  

The muff, was knuckling.  That’s gonna happen.  

I dont think thats been an issue either. I think there was one this week where defenders were close and it looked risky.

Otherwise, he hasnt gotten anywhere, but I dont think he shouldnt have tried. 

5 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

RIP Coolio.  He’s walking through the valley of the shadow of death now.  

I suppose he went to try to find Jackie for President Biden.

6 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

RIP Coolio.  He’s walking through the valley of the shadow of death now.  

He’s in gangsters paradise finally

Wild how people are fine with Covey yet had some huge issue with Ward at PR.  They are both completely ineffective at getting a big return on punts but at least Ward didn't muff them.  Biggest letdown of the preseason was how they didn't rotate more players in at PR and KR to see if anyone could show anything there.  

1 hour ago, BigEFly said:

:offtopic:

Had my smoker (antique Mr. Meat) out today to finally get the jalapeños (now chipotle) and some serranos done.  Pecan, of course.  As I was finishing up, I got to thinking about what I was going to do with the bone in pork chops I grabbed on sale at Giant this week.  A few weeks ago, I grabbed (on sale) these new salt free McCormick spice mixes.  Grabbed the Garlic and Herbs and used it like a rub, put the chops on the top rack of the smoker and stuck in my meat thermometer.  Started off with pecan. Flipped at thirty minutes. Finished with apple. Monitored the temperature like a hawk watching a mouse because it is so easy to dry out a thin chop.  I have grilled chops many times but this was the first time I tried smoking.  Anyone ever try smoking chops?  They tasted even better than they smelled.  BTW, the salt free herbs mix added a nice spice undertone to the smoke. 

I had my mr meat out today too…

1 minute ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Wild how people are fine with Covey yet had some huge issue with Ward at PR.  They are both completely ineffective at getting a big return on punts but at least Ward didn't muff them.  Biggest letdown of the preseason was how they didn't rotate more players in at PR and KR to see if anyone could show anything there.  

He had one muff on a knuckler. He’s been fine otherwise

1 minute ago, RememberTheKoy said:

They both stink.

but how many punts even get returned these days? Not many

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I go to Lancaster County and buy my spices from the Amish.  And make my own rub mixes.   

I have one for Turkey (Dark Meat), Turkey (Light Meat), Pork, Chicken and Beef.  Trouble I have with the beef is that its great... but I can't remember my ratios exactly.  :lol:.   Sounds like I have tons more experimenting to do.   

Like to meet up for a cup of coffee, discuss our Dry Rub recipes. Expect no resolutions tho, so individual to taste.

Got my Springer Puppy from an Amish family in Lancaster, does that count? He's spicy...and wears an Eagles hat.

IMG_0495.thumb.jpg.28ee3d37cf8ff0c9c49b85d031ac2687.jpg

2 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

He had one muff on a knuckler. He’s been fine otherwise

Something tells me you didn't think Greg Ward was fine at PR.  

1 minute ago, ToastJenkins said:

They both stink.

but how many punts even get returned these days? Not many

Not sure why there would be less punts returned these days? If you're thinking of kick returns then yes much less these days.

Archived