EMB Blog: 2022 Regular Season (and beyond?) - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

@LeanMeanGMHope you and everyone else in the path is safe. Got a notification that it's near a cat 5

Power is in and out. Internet down but cell towers still on. Worst is yet to come unfortunately, but thanks. Hope all known Florida Eagle fans like @Know Life and @Captain F are doing good. 

• Replies 64k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

interesting position change for Wilson. I don’t think it’s gonna workout well

I expect a lot of cut blocks.

Guest justrelax
1 hour ago, BigEFly said:

There is a roaster in my fridge that will be beer can chicken later this week. That’s the secret to breast meat on a bird, either rotisserie or down from the dark meat to get the fat juices flowing through. Rub butter under the skin then apply the rub.  

IMHO, beer can chicken is a fraud. Chicken cooks to, what? ~165 degrees? Way below the temp to generate vapor.

Since you insert a cold beer into a cold chicken before it hits the grill, it's pretty much impossible to turn that beer into the kind of steam that would actually affect the bird's flavor. "The chicken comes out of the fridge at 38°F. The beer can goes into the chicken and you’ve just made a chicken koozie," says Goldwyn. And now your chicken is insulating the can from the heat of the grill. "You could grill chicken as long as you want, but even if you took it off at 160°F or 165°F, it doesn't matter. Beer doesn’t boil until 212°F. That beer is part of the thermal mass of the chicken. That beer is not going to get any hotter than the chicken. It’s a physical impossibility."https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/beer-can-chicken-is-a-hoax-article

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Might be good for a trick tackle eligible 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Also that one analytics guy but I can’t remember his name. Paganetti 

5 minutes ago, justrelax said:

IMHO, beer can chicken is a fraud. Chicken cooks to, what? ~165 degrees? Way below the temp to generate vapor.

Since you insert a cold beer into a cold chicken before it hits the grill, it's pretty much impossible to turn that beer into the kind of steam that would actually affect the bird's flavor. "The chicken comes out of the fridge at 38°F. The beer can goes into the chicken and you’ve just made a chicken koozie," says Goldwyn. And now your chicken is insulating the can from the heat of the grill. "You could grill chicken as long as you want, but even if you took it off at 160°F or 165°F, it doesn't matter. Beer doesn’t boil until 212°F. That beer is part of the thermal mass of the chicken. That beer is not going to get any hotter than the chicken. It’s a physical impossibility."https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/beer-can-chicken-is-a-hoax-article

Pardon my nerding but you get vapor at even ambient temp. Especially from alcohol with has a lower vapor pressure and carries many soluble flavors. It doesnt need to boil to get to gas

smell an open beer. Can you smell it? Vapors and gas phase. 

10 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Did he walk into Saleh’s office and demand more money? If not, basically a rookie move. 

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Did he walk into Saleh’s office and demand more money? If not, basically a rookie move. 

2nd rookie year...

Guest justrelax
5 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

Pardon my nerding but you get vapor at even ambient temp. Especially from alcohol with has a lower vapor pressure and carries many soluble flavors. It doesnt need to boil to get to gas

smell an open beer. Can you smell it? Vapors and gas phase. 

It's an interesting point you make. If you want to flavor your chicken with beer (which makes me shudder) why not pour it into the pan the chicken bakes in? That'll get a lot hotter than the internal temperature of the chicken.

Far far better to pour madeira into the pan, along with some aromatics.

24 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Should put to rest the Dillard trade rumors to the Jets at least. 

45 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

No reason to boo Doug.  Feb. 4, 2018... everyone associated with that should always get a Standing Ovation... even... *cough* Howie.   

Are you going to acknowledge that Howie is a good GM?

36 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Single or double wide???

Olsilverpubes wife threw him through the one side and hpenis somehow lit the floor on fire when he stuck a candle in his ass so hard to tell 

2 minutes ago, RLC said:

Are you going to acknowledge that Howie is a good GM?

I didn't say that... I said that I wouldn't boo him.  

But, he is a good GM.  I also think that Doug is a good coach.  My biggest issue with the Howie situation was that he wasn't held accountable like Doug was when it all went to crap in 2020.  He was just as responsible for the crap fest as anyone else.   He was given immunity.  Everyone else has since been moved on.  That bothers me.  Rightly or wrongly, the NFL is about what you've done lately.  He was able to distance himself from the problems he created and not fall victim to them, while all those around him fell.  Coaches are more expendable than FO types I guess.

He has flaws and has made mistakes.  And he's made more mistakes than some folks want to admit.  He's also made some good moves since the Super Bowl.  The list of bad moves and the list of good moves between then and now are both long.  Fortunately, the list seems to be moving more to the good side.  

39 minutes ago, justrelax said:

It really is the positioning of the chicken that you are working to achieve with beer can chicken.  The bottom of the can is closest to the heat so I think there is a little steam. Aluminum isn’t very thick. Not a whole can of liquid either.  The chicken isn’t straight from the fridge, takes some time to apply the butter and rub. I loosely truss the legs.  I always cook it head down.  Way I was taught. They are cooking butt down.  No wonder their chicken is dry.  I agree it is like a roast chicken.  Basically comes out like grilled chicken for me.  

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I didn't say that... I said that I wouldn't boo him.  

But, he is a good GM.  I also think that Doug is a good coach.  My biggest issue with the Howie situation was that he wasn't held accountable like Doug was when it all went to crap in 2020.  He was just as responsible for the crap fest as anyone else.   He was given immunity.  Everyone else has since been moved on.  That bothers me.  Rightly or wrongly, the NFL is about what you've done lately.  He was able to distance himself from the problems he created and not fall victim to them, while all those around him fell.  Coaches are more expendable than FO types I guess.

He has flaws and has made mistakes.  And he's made more mistakes than some folks want to admit.  He's also made some good moves since the Super Bowl.  The list of bad moves and the list of good moves between then and now are both long.  Fortunately, the list seems to be moving more to the good side.  

Immunity GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

"Baking” beer can chicken.  😂

You should just quit and go heat up a Salisbury steak.  

In the microwave.

The easiest way to bake a chicken is spatchcock. Rub some nice garlic butter under and on the skin, it's great. 

Guest justrelax

Yikes.  

Go turn on your grill and then put your hand on it.  Let me know if it’s hotter than 165 degrees.  

Of course it is. However, science.

Guest justrelax
Just now, TorontoEagle said:

In the microwave.

The easiest way to bake a chicken is spatchcock. Rub some nice garlic butter under and on the skin, it's great. 

Yep. In a cast iron pan it cooks in less than an hour. I chop up some herbs along with the garlic. Heat that pan up first, of course. I set the oven to 500 degrees, heat the pa for 20 minutes and turn it  down to 425 when the chicken goes in. Nice crispy skin that way.

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

And however you pour some of the beer out and it starts to boil ON THE GRILL.  That’s where you’re missing the point.  

I am not talking about grilling. Never was.

Guest justrelax
3 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

And however you pour some of the beer out and it starts to boil ON THE GRILL.  That’s where you’re missing the point.  

The vapor won’t last more than a minute or two that way, so no flavor.

I've been dabbling in duck breasts recently. Cold pan is the key, and scoring the skin to let the fat render. Saving the fat for use in roasting potatoes is wonderful. I did a sous vide on the duck last time, then seared it, and it worked far better. Sous vide is an absolute god send.       

1 minute ago, justrelax said:

The vapor won’t last more than a minute or two that way, so no flavor.

Its not meant to flavor the chicken. It keeps it moist. You dont taste beer, coke, sprite, whatever you use. 

Guest justrelax

You have proven you have no idea what you’re talking about.  Like football.  

I do it all the time.  It adds moisture and flavor.  

Yes, I like football.

Archived