EMB Blog: 2022 Regular Season (and beyond?) - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 64k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, justrelax said:

IMHO, beer can chicken is a fraud. Chicken cooks to, what? ~165 degrees? Way below the temp to generate vapor.

Since you insert a cold beer into a cold chicken before it hits the grill, it's pretty much impossible to turn that beer into the kind of steam that would actually affect the bird's flavor. "The chicken comes out of the fridge at 38°F. The beer can goes into the chicken and you’ve just made a chicken koozie," says Goldwyn. And now your chicken is insulating the can from the heat of the grill. "You could grill chicken as long as you want, but even if you took it off at 160°F or 165°F, it doesn't matter. Beer doesn’t boil until 212°F. That beer is part of the thermal mass of the chicken. That beer is not going to get any hotter than the chicken. It’s a physical impossibility."https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/beer-can-chicken-is-a-hoax-article

I tend to agree but not for the same reasons, the can certainly may get warm enough to generate steam, but whatever moisture imparted by the steam from the beer is relatively minimal and would be superficial to the surfaces of the internal cavity anyhow. Confirmed by experiments from one of my favorite cooking sites:

https://amazingribs.com/bbq-techniques-and-science/beer-can-chicken/

They also bring up the fact that rendered fat and myoglobin drips back down into the can, eventually forming a barrier that greatly impedes further steaming. Once that happens, the concept basically falls apart and the entire point of the method becomes moot.

27 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

OMG.  @TorontoEagle brought up Spatchcock chicken as a side topic.  Holy F. Go back and read.  People are allowed to have off-shoot conversations that don't stick to one topic.  You know that, right?  

We also talked about rendering duck fat and making duck confit.  Is that ok with you?

Ken Jeong - Gay - YouTube

3 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

They drafted Muma too. Interesting to see heavy LB investment this day in age. Their D is much improved 

The devaluing of LB was a serious idea.  Important position.  Huge impact on the game. 

5 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

They drafted Muma too. Interesting to see heavy LB investment this day in age. Their D is much improved 

Yup, both walker and Lloyd have played well.

Lloyd is pretty versatile and good in coverage then they still have josh Allen coming off the edge who is pretty good pass rusher 

Their secondary isn't anything to brag about but their front 7 is solid and should present a bit more of a problem than a banged up Washington secondary that got abused.

Should be a fun game and a good challenge.

I thought the Vikings D would present some problems but they sat back In a shell the whe game🤷‍♂️

I don't expect the jags nor should they take that approach.

How cool would it be if we could use the two firsts next year to actually fix the defense and replace aging players. Like a Corner and DE in the first. Let Slay help groom some youth. And get BG’s replacement. Not using those 1sts to get a QB who will most likely suck would be so great. This is exactly why no one (other than trolls) actually WANTED Hurts to fail, and why some of us (😳) got so... err.. emotional... with his perceived lack of progress. Jalen Hurts continuing this progression is, and always has been, the best case scenario for this team. 

29 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

I tend to agree but not for the same reasons, the can certainly may get warm enough to generate steam, but whatever moisture imparted by the steam from the beer is relatively minimal and would be superficial to the surfaces of the internal cavity anyhow. Confirmed by experiments from one of my favorite cooking sites:

https://amazingribs.com/bbq-techniques-and-science/beer-can-chicken/

They also bring up the fact that rendered fat and myoglobin drips back down into the can, eventually forming a barrier that greatly impedes further steaming. Once that happens, the concept basically falls apart and the entire point of the method becomes moot.

Now this is far better science than the article was leading on to, even though they were referencing this same article.  

So, what you are saying is... put an umbrella in the can so that nothing can drip back into the can... and you can raise the chicken higher above the can, keeping the interior of the chicken from getting cooled down by the beer.  

I will disagree with this part though...

We love the flavor of browned meats. Browning happens when the amino acids and sugars in meat are heated past a certain point. It is called the Maillard reaction and it is the reason we love seared steaks, toasted bread, roasted coffee, and crispy chicken skin. By inserting a metal tube filled with liquid you prevent the inside of the chicken from browning, so you get less of the stuff we love best. But the methods I recommend will get you browned chicken all over, inside and out.

The inside of the chicken that they are talking about isn't a part that you actually consume, that's basically all just cartilage, bone and membranes.  We discard that or use it to make stock, we don't consume it directly.  

The most interesting part is that when they talk about the Weber method, they are brining in the beer and then using only 2 ounces or so of the beer in the can.   I didn't think that you'd use the entire can anyway.  That's a waste of good beer!   And if you are using bad beer, why are you using beer at all?!  I assumed we were talking about brined chicken (who doesn't brine chicken before it gets cooked?) and if you are doing beer can... wouldn't the most sensible brine include the 10 ounces of beer you won't be using in the can?   🤷‍♂️

Doesnt' matter to me though.  Wife hates beer flavor, so we don't cook with it in my house... I just drink it while eating the food we make.  Honestly, I think I prefer that too.   

5 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

No way.  You don’t say.   This notion has been shared about 275 times over the past few months in here.  Even by us "trolls”. 

There’s only two true Hurts hater trolls in here. Only one whose name I can remember. You may be a.. dragon.. or lizard  or whatever you were called, but you’re not one a troll in that sense. 😂

Falcon? Python? Scorpion? F, what was it.. 

7 minutes ago, blindside said:

How cool would it be if we could use the two firsts next year to actually fix the defense and replace aging players. Like a Corner and DE in the first. Let Slay help groom some youth. And get BG’s replacement. Not using those 1sts to get a QB who will most likely suck would be so great. This is exactly why no one (other than trolls) actually WANTED Hurts to fail, and why some of us (😳) got so... err.. emotional... with his perceived lack of progress. Jalen Hurts continuing this progression is, and always has been, the best case scenario for this team. 

Also need another DT

5 minutes ago, blindside said:

Yup hurts continuing to progress would allow Howie to use those 2 1st picks on re stocking the D.

Graham is 34 slay is what 31???

Assuming Howie makes good picks with those 2 1st rounders I'd rather get to possible impact players rather than a rookie project QB.

1 hour ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

The fissures in the locker room are starting to emerge.

This is Sirianni having to cater to the millennial participation trophy generation.  Now everyone has to get a td.  

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Now this is far better science than the article was leading on to, even though they were referencing this same article.  

So, what you are saying is... put an umbrella in the can so that nothing can drip back into the can... and you can raise the chicken higher above the can, keeping the interior of the chicken from getting cooled down by the beer.  

I will disagree with this part though...

Or better yet, just replace the can with a vertical roaster instead. The whole purpose of grilling in the first place is to vaporize the drippings which imparts an extra bit of flavor back to whatever your cooking. It's why fatty grilled foods like burgers and steaks tend to have a smokier flavor than ones cooked on a flat top or in a broiler. 

3 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Also need another DT

you know what we don’t need? 

A WR!! 🕺🏻

2 minutes ago, RLC said:

For all this talk of the Jaguars front 7, I've yet to hear how exactly they're going to cover us...especially if Griffin is out.

No team is gonna cover us. It’s up to their front 7 to get home. Our WRs/TE are too much for most any secondary 

7 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I’m not a dragon or a lizard.   I’m the Blogs Scorpion.   I’m getting the tattoo next week.  

7 minutes ago, blindside said:

you know what we don’t need? 

A WR!! 🕺🏻

No team is gonna cover us. It’s up to their front 7 to get home. Our WRs/TE are too much for most any secondary 

Lol it's been so long since we could say that

12 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I’m not a dragon or a lizard.   I’m the Blogs Scorpion.   I’m getting the tattoo next week.  

No we don’t. 

Silly Scorpion - Drawception

good idea

16 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

No we don’t. 

From what you've shown me....you might be part dragon, you freak

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

That's what I thought.  But what does that have to do with beer can chicken and vapors?

I just drank a beer while eating chicken and had some of @TorontoEagle vapors 

53 minutes ago, blindside said:

There’s only two true Hurts hater trolls in here. Only one whose name I can remember.

One is eagle45, he still roots for the Eagles to succeed, but admitted he does not like Hurts the person.

Who is the other ??

Archived