EMB Blog: 2022 Regular Season (and beyond?) - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 64k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hurts played an overall decent game.  There were a few plays that really kept this game from being more one sided for the Eagles.

Of course the fake punt was a huge turning point.  A couple poorly timed penalties took points off the board.

Oddly enough Siposs had his best day, maybe ever in an Eagles uniform, and made a positive impact for once.

I like how we match up with Dallas, and I love that it's a big time game early in the season

28 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Panicked when blitzed?  The blitz was an overload blitz and he had no path or time.  He did roll out on some of the blitzes and passed the ball.  Driscoll was underwhelming at LT and when coupled with Opeta, it wasn’t good. 

Yes. He also ran around like a toddler and got sacked on one blitz that was actually picked up well. 

Ugly win but I'll take it

Classic let-down game we would typically lose considering the big showdown with Dallas coming up.

Gutting it out = another sign this team is for real.

6 minutes ago, Mike31mt said:

Hurts played an overall decent game.  There were a few plays that really kept this game from being more one sided for the Eagles.

Of course the fake punt was a huge turning point.  A couple poorly timed penalties took points off the board.

Oddly enough Siposs had his best day, maybe ever in an Eagles uniform, and made a positive impact for once.

I like how we match up with Dallas, and I love that it's a big time game early in the season

we couldn’t stop a fake punt to save our life

I've given Hurts credit when due this year and he's deserved a lot of hit.  However, if today's Hurts is what he is, I have no interest in him long term.  The game he played today is much like I expected coming in to the season.  I really hope today was the fluke and week 2/3 were the real deal.  Outside of 1 throw on the run to the left, he did nothing special showing that he is deserving of a long term contract.  Again, the play calling was terrible but Hurts was ordinary. 

If you really trust this Eagles team, then you should be very happy that Dallas and NYG won today.

The expected conference powers are falling out of contention for the #1 seed early.  And the Eagles will have every opportunity to take care of business against the divisional 1 loss teams.

2 minutes ago, Mike31mt said:

Must be the first REAL Test...:P

Seriously tho, I agree. A good barometer of where we are, how we're doing will be to kick the Cowpies in the nads and send em packin, and feelin poorly about themselves. Rush is a better QB Right Now than Dak is Right Now. Hope Jerrah flexes and hurries Dak back for next week. Would be a Classic Jerrah GM move, we can usually count on him.

Either way, I like our matchups. And it's Dallas Week!

36 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Panicked when blitzed?  The blitz was an overload blitz and he had no path or time.  He did roll out on some of the blitzes and passed the ball.  Driscoll was underwhelming at LT and when coupled with Opeta, it wasn’t good. 

They also let pressure up the middle on some blitzes when he wanted to step up, overall the pass blocking wasn't good, though I'll wait for the 22 and the more knowledgeable posters to chime in.

I said after last week, I excuse Hurts for the weather but wanted to see him bounce back with a big game in Arizona today. 

Part of this was the play calling, which was putrid. WR screen, after WR screen, without blocking. 

But also, Hurts made bad decisions on the very few passes that were actual real routes.

The INT that got called back was a ridiculous read.

The hospital ball to Quez was a stupid decision. On top of it, if he threw to AJ Brown he had an easy path to the goal line and Goedert was ready to throw a huge block to let him turn the corner. 

Hurts also bailed on pockets early again just because there was a blitz. Even though it was picked up. On one, he missed Quez for a TD apparently. I forget the scenario of the 2nd time that he did it noticeably badly. But, it was a bad time to do it, and a bad result.

If you throw away last weeks weather game, you have a guy who has had 2 really good games throwing, and 2 really bad games. Which means, at best he is very inconsistent. If you dont throw that game away, then he has more bad games than good.

Either way, it was pre-mature to assume we can take ourselves out of the 1st round QB market. That should still be very much in play.

Unless, hopefully, Hurts starts stacking good games. But he looks far from it tonight. 

Suddenly, Im not confident in the Dallas game.

This game shouldnt have been close. 

4 minutes ago, Arsenal79 said:

Ugly win but I'll take it

Classic let-down game we would typically lose considering the big showdown with Dallas coming up.

Gutting it out = another sign this team is for real.

The only thing they gutted out was the AZ final FG attempt.  The offense put up zero TDs in the second half and the defense folded on both of the last 2 AZ possessions.

5 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I've given Hurts credit when due this year and he's deserved a lot of hit.  However, if today's Hurts is what he is, I have no interest in him long term.  The game he played today is much like I expected coming in to the season.  I really hope today was the fluke and week 2/3 were the real deal.  Outside of 1 throw on the run to the left, he did nothing special showing that he is deserving of a long term contract.  Again, the play calling was terrible but Hurts was ordinary. 

Up and down game for him.

20 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

It’s hard to come up with a comp for him. He’s not Chase Daniel bad but he’s not Fitzpatrick/Foles good. Josh McCown, maybe?

Lightning in a bottle kinda guy to me.

Keep the Cap on, don't let it escape. He's capable, but a backup for a reason.

Contain and control. Let him self destruct.....and cover CeeDee..fer crissakes....

I thought the offense was overall underwhelming, but if your "bad" day is 20 points and no turnovers, then your offense is pretty good.

Also…part of the Hurts passing TD debate…

Having your qb leg press 2-3 defenders across the goal line is a great highlight and option a handful of times per year in certain situations.  It can’t be your entire approach to the red zone offense.

Hurts completed 70+%, including drops by Smith and Brown, a pass called back by penalty.

Sure it was a short passing game, but he made good throws, when Brady does the same, he's called the GOAT.

Problem was Eagles OL did not play well, didn't pass block well and didn't run block until the 4th Q. It wasn't as if there were WRs running free and a clean pocket to throw from.

Some fools here think a QB is going to throw 400 yards every week, well, it doesn't work that way in the NFL, some weeks, especially on the road, you have to scrap out a victory.

1 minute ago, eagle45 said:

Also…part of the Hurts passing TD debate…

Having your qb leg press 2-3 defenders across the goal line is a great highlight and option a handful of times per year in certain situations.  It can’t be your entire approach to the red zone offense.

The Eagles are top 10 in red-zone offense...in large part because running is more efficient than passing in the red zone.

8 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Suddenly, Im not confident in the Dallas game.

This game shouldnt have been close. 

I am as confident now as I would have been otherwise.  This was a trap game.  They managed to come away with a win in the midst of it.

2 minutes ago, RLC said:

The Eagles are top 10 in red-zone offense...in large part because running is more efficient than passing in the red zone.

Their approach to the red zone has been very non traditional.  We’ll see if the red zone efficiency without throwing TDs continues…

Archived