EMB Blog: 2022 Regular Season (and beyond?) - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 64k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

don’t know if it was talked about during the game on here, but our pass rush was really underwhelming against an average oline. We had 1 sack and 2 Qb hits. I get you don’t want to lose containment on murray but it felt like murray as the game wore on had all day to throw and pick apart the eagles defense in the middle of the field. (like what has been said on here the tackling was really bad today and allowed for drives to continue and pick up more yards).  

It will be interesting to see what the protection times were for Murray.  I suspect that "had all day to throw and pick apart the eagles" is a bit of hyperbole.  My personal opinion, for what it is worth, is that Gannon reverted back to a more soft zone scheme, and the Cardinals receivers exploited the seams in the zones. 

Tommy Lawlor at igglesblitz.com had the following to say on that subject.

The Eagles got out to a 14-0 start and life was good. Unfortunately, Kyler Murray remembered he’s a talented QB and Hollywood Brown and Rondale Moore decided to be playmakers this week. The Arizona offense has struggled a lot this year. We knew it was only a matter of time before they started to get better. Still, the Eagles defense held them to 17 points. It isn’t like they had a shuttle bus going to the end zone.

28 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

It is worth pointing out that in the last 3 games Hurts has carried the ball 40 times for 119 yards.  Of course that’s far too many carries, but it’s interesting how defenses are choosing to adjust to him.

I am of the opinion as well that the offense has been tailing off the last two games, plus the 2nd half in WASH.  For the season Hurts is now 68 carries for 266 yards — just 3.9 yards per rush after being 5.6 last season.  It appears defenses are reacting quicker once they see him pull the ball down.

Hurts is unquestionably the Eagles short yardage back at this point, but it remains to be seen what effect the sheer volume of his carries and physical contact will be later in the season.

Respectfully, those stats are not really indicative of anything.

How many of those 'carries' are sneaks and kneel downs?  There were 7 sneaks and 1 kneel down today out of the official 15 carries. 6 out of last week's 16 carries were. 

Further, scrambles are not really part of the run game that defenses are preparing for, but they are included as carries and run yards.

2 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Respectfully, those stats are not really indicative of anything.

How many of those 'carries' are sneaks and kneel downs?  There were 7 sneaks and 1 kneel down today. 6 out of 16 carries last week were. 

Further, scrambles are not really part of the run game that defenses are preparing for, but they are included as carries and run yards.

Time will tell.  There was talk during the week whether the offense was "sustainable” and an assertion of the affirmative, if Hurts was indeed a "special runner”

First huge test of the season for Hurts next Sunday night.  Gotta win the division as a first step towards being a contender.  

1 hour ago, mattwill said:

It will be interesting to see what the protection times were for Murray.  I suspect that "had all day to throw and pick apart the eagles" is a bit of hyperbole.  My personal opinion, for what it is worth, is that Gannon reverted back to a more soft zone scheme, and the Cardinals receivers exploited the seams in the zones. 

Tommy Lawlor at igglesblitz.com had the following to say on that subject.

Was hyperbole. But we really didn’t get good pressure on him for large stretches of the day. I agree we went more soft zone cause you could see it from where we were sitting. Cards receivers exploited it but it helped as the game wore on the pressure wasn’t as good as earlier in the game. On the Int murray threw they were able to get some pressure on him as he threw it. When it was 0-0 on the first drive, the eagles got good pressure on a 3rd and 9 to force murray to throw it away. The first quarter the eagles were pretty good on that aspect as the game wore on it wasn’t as consistent or as much and murray had more time to attack the soft zone. And one time they did get pressure on him they missed a potential sack that really would’ve stymied a drive . However i wasn’t the only one who noticed the pass rush as the game wore on was not nearly as good (along with playing soft zone)

i think it’s both they played soft zone and they weren’t getting near the pressure they had in the first quarter  

i hope tommy also says how many extra yards and drives that were able to be continued due to poor tackling. The eagles defense didn’t do a great job in that aspect today. Also, because I was close to the end zone where I was sitting, there was at least four plays that should’ve been less yardage or even a loss if the Eagles just tackle better. We can say all players make plays and are playmakers but the Eagles had multiple chances with guys there and in position to make the tackles. They just did a poor job in that aspect. It’s great they only gave up 17 points, however i don’t just say cardinals playmakers just made plays and murray played well. The eagles definitely had some of their own issues this game with tackling, pass rush and playing soft zone coverage. Eagles defense to start the game was very good. Got pressure and forced 3 punts. The last 5 possessions the cardinals scored on 3 possessions, forced a punt and had a missed FG (Murray helped in forcing that FG). The can give the cardinals their credit but also realize the eagles have some issues they need to address as well.  I’d argue since the lions game week 1, this was their worst tackling game over the last 4 

20 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Was hyperbole. But we really didn’t get good pressure on him for large stretches of the day. I agree we went more soft zone cause you could see it from where we were sitting. Cards receivers exploited it but it helped as the game wore on the pressure wasn’t as good as earlier in the game. On the Int murray threw they were able to get some pressure on him as he threw it. The first quarter the eagles were pretty good on that aspect as the game wore on it wasn’t as consistent or as much and murray had more time. And when they did get pressure on him they missed a potential sack that really would’ve stymied a drive . 

i think it’s both they played soft zone and they weren’t getting good pressure. 

i hope tommy says how many extra yards and drives that were able to be continued due to poor tackling. The eagles defense didn’t do a very good job in that aspect today. Also, because I was close to the end zone where I was sitting, there was at least four plays that should’ve been less yardage or even a loss if the Eagles just tackle better. We can say all players make plays and are playmakers but the Eagles had multiple chances with guys there and in position to make the tackles. They just did a bad job bringing the guy down or took a bad angle. 

I was only able to get the Cards feed on satellite radio and they were lamenting the same things from their perspective.  Said they missed a lot of tackles and opportunities on defense.  

25 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I was only able to get the Cards feed on satellite radio and they were lamenting the same things from their perspective.  Said they missed a lot of tackles and opportunities on defense.  

I thought the cardinals early did a bad job tackling especially on goedert. The last drive they also seemed to just allow for extra yards to be picked up after initial contact. Also the eagles were close to breaking a big run a couple times due to poor initial tackling by the cardinals  

I thought @ManuManu nailed it during the game when he said it. there were missed tackles that really hurt the eagles. Since the lions game they had been much better and getting more sound. Moore and brown are nice playmakers with speed and murray played better as the game went on (multiple reasons) but the eagles really helped them with some of their own issues 

1 hour ago, D-Shiznit said:

The Jamar Chase/DeVonta Smith comparison isn't as settled as it seemed like last year:

Smith:  28 Rec 38 Targets  353 Yards  12.6 per catch   1TD

Chase: 32 Rec 53 Targets  343 Yards  11.7 per catch   2TD

Going to be interesting when it is all said and done who ends up with the better overall career.

I still think Devonta Smith with Aaron Rodgers would put up Heisman Devonta numbers.

2 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

The Jamar Chase/DeVonta Smith comparison isn't as settled as it seemed like last year:

Going to be interesting when it is all said and done who ends up with the better overall career.

Let's not forget Smith isn't even our #1 option and in fact has to split those reps with a few players. 

how the hell is that roughing the passer? Whoever was defending the call yesterday is crazy. Brutal call that gifted tampa the win. Awful.

Poorly played game but a win is a win sometimes. Bring on Dallass. 

4 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

It is worth pointing out that in the last 3 games Hurts has carried the ball 40 times for 119 yards.  Of course that’s far too many carries, but it’s interesting how defenses are choosing to adjust to him.

I am of the opinion as well that the offense has been tailing off the last two games, plus the 2nd half in WASH.  For the season Hurts is now 68 carries for 266 yards — just 3.9 yards per rush after being 5.6 last season.  It appears defenses are reacting quicker once they see him pull the ball down.

Hurts is unquestionably the Eagles short yardage back at this point, but it remains to be seen what effect the sheer volume of his carries and physical contact will be later in the season.

We know Hurts can run and loves to run.  He has strong legs to power lift 600 lbs of weight in college.  When the ball is inside 5-yard line, he would like to run it in himself for TD.  The sneaks are a pile of bodies, heavy ones too, lots of physical contact and could easily go wrong in many ways.  Yes, the accumulated hits of the short yardage runs will be a load on his body.  We shall see how he is holding up near the end of the season.

4 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

I’d take Chase. That’s not a knock on Smith 

6 hours ago, Eagz said:

Getting him fully onboard is the only right answer. Assuming it won't end up being at the expense of Gannon but in support of.

Would explain the upswing in blitzing

6 hours ago, schuy7 said:

No wonder why our defense has been better this year 🤣

Well that and the talent

5 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Currently I’m on a train to Paris….but for my fellow Canadians in the blog, happy Thanksgiving!

You guys do Turkey and such? And is everything covered in maple syrup? 

4 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

quit making fun of those people

From Peter Kings article:

Only Chuck Bednarik has played more seasons for the Eagles than defensive end Brandon Graham, in his 13th year in Philadelphia. If there’s somebody in the league who has more fun playing the game than Graham, I don’t know who it is. That includes talking nonsense to countless foes. He once said to then-Cowboy La’el Collins, "Hey 71! Too many cupcakes!” Which made his linemates guffaw out loud. 

Brandon Graham on the art of trash-taking:

"Well, you know, I trash-talk because I know some people can’t handle it. If I see some people can’t, I keep going. If I feel like some people can and they still out there playing at a high level too, I kinda stop chirping a little bit unless we winning. You’re right about what I said to La’el Collins. I know Collins doesn’t like when I’m talking stuff so I go a little extra mile. And he was on the Cowboys so it just made it even more of a trash-talk for me to get under his skin. Yeah, I know that he doesn’t like it and when I smell blood in the water, I’m definitely going for the kill.

"As soon as they say something back, I got ‘em. Now they ain’t thinking about the play. Now they trying to come get me. Fletch [Fletcher Cox] always be like, ‘Man, be quiet! You talking to my guard like you gotta go against him!’ I’m like, ‘Man, stop being scared! It’s alright! You Fletcher Cox!’”

6 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Hell yeah we do, all the fixin’s just the same as you folks down south. We just do it a month and a half earlier. Maple syrup isn’t usually brought out this time 

Lol it’s gonna be funny when Dallas realizes  they aren’t playing the crappy and injured offensive lines their defense has been playing against this week. 

9 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Hell yeah we do, all the fixin’s just the same as you folks down south. We just do it a month and a half earlier. Maple syrup isn’t usually brought out this time 

I'll have you know, Ontario is directly south of us. Kinda, sorta.

20 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

I'll have you know, Ontario is directly south of us. Kinda, sorta.

Depends where you are exactly, I suppose 

Archived