EMB Blog: 2022 Regular Season (and beyond?) - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 64k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some thoughts on the game today...

-- The Eagles should have lost this game. What saved them were Sirianni/Hurts having higher football IQs than Kingsbury/Murray and Howie having a better backup plan at kicker than the Cardinals GM. These things separate good organizations from bad ones.

-- Haason Reddick looks like the real deal. It's just so nice having that kind of explosion at edge rusher. Getting more of that should be a priority next off-season.

-- Not sure who to blame for the offense today, but yuck. Ridiculous number of receiver screens. Little to nothing in the middle of the field. This general feeling of complacency as soon as they got a big lead. I need to see more of a killer instinct in this offense.

-- Miles Sanders is not a playoff RB to me. He thrives because of the OL and his great burst, but he just doesn't have the down to down consistency I think you need in a feature back down the stretch.

-- Defense started looking like the 2021 defense today. Giving up intermediate chunks at will. No adjustments from Gannon. Gannon to me is still the biggest question mark on this team.

-- TJ Edwards is fine for what he is, but I'm not playing him over Dean in 2023. He looked like an old man chasing around his grandkids on some of those plays today.

-- Long live Jeff Stoutland. Driscoll is playing his heart out at LT.

Special Things happen in Special Seasons.   This team is surprising me every single week with how they are winning.   They already are showing the winning spirit of those Great Eagles Teams of the past. Still 12 more rounds to go but this is quickly turning into the best season since the Super Bowl 5 years ago.   5-0 for the 3rd time in Eagles History.   At this stage if they can remain healthy, 12 Wins should be the floor.   

54 minutes ago, RLC said:

We're not regressing. The offense is fine. Enjoy the win!

We’re not regressing under the premise that weeks 2 and 3 weren’t the real offense…

Not so bold prediction:

Dicker the kicker will find his way onto another teams active roster pretty quickly.

I don’t know enough background on the kid to know what his leg strength and range are, but if he can kick them that unwaiveringly straight from 40+ in this type of situation, then he’s got enough sturdiness between the ears to go with the leg that there won’t be 32 healthy, better options at kicker than him by December.  Someone will get hurt or someone will blow some big kicks and he’ll be the first call.

55 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Murray had far more time to throw than Hurts. I'll wait for the all 22, but I saw Hurts try to step up and have the pocket collapse in front, when a team blitzes from outside, and you can't step up, there aren't a lot of options left. That throw to Goedert was a perfect example, Hurts stepped up a little, had to stop and throw with a blitzer bearing down on him.

More like the old you, thanks.

14 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

Some thoughts on the game today...

-- The Eagles should have lost this game. What saved them were Sirianni/Hurts having higher football IQs than Kingsbury/Murray and Howie having a better backup plan at kicker than the Cardinals GM. These things separate good organizations from bad ones.

-- Haason Reddick looks like the real deal. It's just so nice having that kind of explosion at edge rusher. Getting more of that should be a priority next off-season.

-- Not sure who to blame for the offense today, but yuck. Ridiculous number of receiver screens. Little to nothing in the middle of the field. This general feeling of complacency as soon as they got a big lead. I need to see more of a killer instinct in this offense.

-- Miles Sanders is not a playoff RB to me. He thrives because of the OL and his great burst, but he just doesn't have the down to down consistency I think you need in a feature back down the stretch.

-- Defense started looking like the 2021 defense today. Giving up intermediate chunks at will. No adjustments from Gannon. Gannon to me is still the biggest question mark on this team.

-- TJ Edwards is fine for what he is, but I'm not playing him over Dean in 2023. He looked like an old man chasing around his grandkids on some of those plays today.

-- Long live Jeff Stoutland. Driscoll is playing his heart out at LT.

Great post.

One counter is Dean over Edwards in 2023, until we see more of Dean's capability in game time action.

Reddick is giving me a major chubby. Fav current player on D along with Kyzir and Slay where I just knew he would ball out this year.

What I bolded stands out for me most. I firmly believe we're drafting a RB with 3rd pick but almost hoping it's the second pick. BPA as ever anyway...

4 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Not so bold prediction:

Dicker the kicker will find his way onto another teams active roster pretty quickly.

I don’t know enough background on the kid to know what his leg strength and range are, but if he can kick them that unwaiveringly straight from 40+ in this type of situation, then he’s got enough sturdiness between the ears to go with the leg that there won’t be 32 healthy, better options at kicker than him by December.  Someone will get hurt or someone will blow some big kicks and he’ll be the first call.

He could be a Cardinal 

We used a lot of empty backfields against Minnesota and Washington, which really helped against the blitz. I would have liked to see more of that in this game.

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

This is my concern with Hurts.  Yes, the play calling sucked, but there were a lot of plays with Quez open and on the near INT, Quez was deep for a TD.  Is Hurts not looking downfield?  Is he still just failing to go through his reads?  These are the questions a lot of us had about Hurts coming in to the season and today exposed a lot of those again.

Sometimes, after the first read, the d line is in your face. Especially when  the left side of your O line is a patchwork.

Yeah I'd like him to See/Read downfield too, but ......Real Reasons?

Any other kicker, and you use that time on the clock to try to get 10 yds closer. But not with Tucker. Dude is unreal.

4 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

Insane.

Tucker is a HoF lock, the only question is whether being a kicker will keep him from being first ballot.

5 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Getting him fully onboard is the only right answer. Assuming it won't end up being at the expense of Gannon but in support of.

That's interesting, but it makes sense. Gannon looked very much like an inexperienced, out of his league DC last year. Howie obviously loves him, so he was always going to keep him around. Getting Fangio to help, quietly, really does him a solid.

1 hour ago, HazletonEagle said:

A bad Arizona team, with an overwhelmingly friendly crowd is not a trap, or the type of road game you should have to go scrap out a win. 

Thats a homerific over rationalization to a poor performance that was inexcusable. 

Defense was solid. Their plan was clear. Dont blitz. Dont allow Murray to kill you with his legs. Were going to have to allow him to pass, and limit the damage. They did that, and held them to 17 points.

Offense was an abomination.

I mostly blame the coaches for the game plan. This was not a team that overlooked the Cardinals in the classic trap game scenario and came out sluggish and unprepared.

We came out hot. And regressed after the first drive in the 2nd quarter because of poor play calling. 0 adjustments. And least of all, but not insignificant- a regression in QB play.

Bad Arizona team?  Came into the game tied for the lead in the NFC West.  Were a playoff team with an 11-6 record last year. Playing at home. (Although their three losses this year are at home.)  They have had some bumps early this year, but bad is a little strong. 

Agree about the game plan.  Shane tried to attack the outside because of the S speed and strength inside for their DL but faced having 3/5ths of the starting OL missing time. Gannon called a poor game.  Fear of Murray’s and Connor’s running was a tell. C game for all the coordinators. 

17 minutes ago, Eagz said:

Getting him fully onboard is the only right answer. Assuming it won't end up being at the expense of Gannon but in support of.

Gannon almost got a HC job last season. This might be a hedge in case he gets one this offseason. 

It is worth pointing out that in the last 3 games Hurts has carried the ball 40 times for 119 yards.  Of course that’s far too many carries, but it’s interesting how defenses are choosing to adjust to him.

I am of the opinion as well that the offense has been tailing off the last two games, plus the 2nd half in WASH.  For the season Hurts is now 68 carries for 266 yards — just 3.9 yards per rush after being 5.6 last season.  It appears defenses are reacting quicker once they see him pull the ball down.

Hurts is unquestionably the Eagles short yardage back at this point, but it remains to be seen what effect the sheer volume of his carries and physical contact will be later in the season.

4 minutes ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

Gannon almost got a HC job last season. This might be a hedge in case he gets one this offseason. 

With the way Denver currently feel about Hackett, could be a distinct possibility but my money would be on Payton.

The Jamar Chase/DeVonta Smith comparison isn't as settled as it seemed like last year:

Smith:  28 Rec 38 Targets  353 Yards  12.6 per catch   1TD

Chase: 32 Rec 53 Targets  343 Yards  11.7 per catch   2TD

Going to be interesting when it is all said and done who ends up with the better overall career.

don’t know if it was talked about during the game on here, but our pass rush was really underwhelming against an average oline. We had 1 sack and 2 Qb hits. I get you don’t want to lose containment on murray but it felt like murray as the game wore on had all day to throw and pick apart the eagles defense in the middle of the field with the soft zone coverage we were running. (like what has been said on here the tackling was really bad today and allowed for drives to continue and pick up more yards).  

Archived