EMB Blog: 2022 Regular Season (and beyond?) - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, RLC said:

I thought the offense was overall underwhelming, but if your "bad" day is 20 points and no turnovers, then your offense is pretty good.

I understand if Arizona was playing far off our WRs, we made them pay with a couple AJ Brown out routes, or come backs. And then paper cut them to death with WR screens.

But that requires you to really play perfect football because taking just a few yards on every play, you cant overcome penalties.

In one of Hurts good games, we had numerous 3rd and long situations that we converted anyway. Today, a single penalty was a definitive drive killer. The eagles could not, or would not adjust to the circumstances they were facing.

They didnt play a clean enough game to make that offensive game plan an effective one.

And, its not going to work against dallas.

If Dallas wants to play off, and we play in to their hands with the same kind of throws, Diggs is going to have a field day jumping routes and getting INTs.

Just because they gave us space doesnt mean we should never have tried having an actual passing game. Dallas can take advantage of us if we they play us that way and we try the same thing.

We could have at least worked a bunch of shallow crossers in there. Some slants. Even a deep shot or 2 for the hell of it. This play calling was idiotic and will result in a loss next week.

• Replies 64k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I am as confident now as I would have been otherwise.  This was a trap game.  They managed to come away with a win in the midst of it.

BS

1 hour ago, austinfan said:

Hurts completed 70+%, including drops by Smith and Brown, a pass called back by penalty.

Sure it was a short passing game, but he made good throws, when Brady does the same, he's called the GOAT.

Problem was Eagles OL did not play well, didn't pass block well and didn't run block until the 4th Q. It wasn't as if there were WRs running free and a clean pocket to throw from.

Some fools here think a QB is going to throw 400 yards every week, well, it doesn't work that way in the NFL, some weeks, especially on the road, you have to scrap out a victory.

Agree, generally and yes, some victories come hard.

We won this one. On the Road. Despite a fractured O Line, again. Stayed tough, kicked a Winner.

Need to call out "some fools"? What does that do for you? You used to be better than this AFan....

I thought our offensive gameplan and play calling after the first 2-3 series was excellent. Wide open receivers. I thought this was about to be a blowout. Once Arizona started spamming blitzes, we didn't have a great answer. It was all WR screens, which worked pretty well, but we have to have a better passing attack against those looks. It's the biggest concern for me with the offense.

Defensively, the more we sit back, the worse we play. More missed tackles and more mistakes. 

4 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I understand if Arizona was playing far off our WRs, we made them pay with a couple AJ Brown out routes, or come backs. And then paper cut them to death with WR screens.

But that requires you to really play perfect football because taking just a few yards on every play, you cant overcome penalties.

In one of Hurts good games, we had numerous 3rd and long situations that we converted anyway. Today, a single penalty was a definitive drive killer. The eagles could not, or would not adjust to the circumstances they were facing.

They didnt play a clean enough game to make that offensive game plan an effective one.

If Dallas wants to play off, and we play in to their hands with the same kind of throws, Diggs is going to have a field day jumping routes and getting INTs.

Just because they gave us space doesnt mean we should never have tried having an actual passing game. Dallas can take advantage of us if we they play us that way and we try the same thing.

We could have at least worked a bunch of shallow crossers in there. Some slants. Even a deep shot or 2 for the hell of it. This play calling was idiotic and will result in a loss next week.

Agreed.  Going to need to make some big changes to have a chance next week

You cant discount the fact that the OL, including Kelce, were shuffling in and out of the game

For the most part, the Eagles moved the ball all game.

Im much more concerned with the horrible tackling and poor run defense.  Tuipulotu and Williams seemed to really get pushed around and didnt handle double teams well at all.

Edwards had a few really rough plays.  Even Kyzir gave up a first down on a 3rd and long from over-pursuing.  These guys have to clean that up or the Cowboys will just keep running and running.

Classic Gannon coverage game where the secondary is damn-near off screen. It stretches the defense out way too much.

It was disconcerting because it felt like a team that was on the defensive instead of being the attacker. The Eagles had no business being on their heels against that team, the cardinals stink. They should’ve imposed their will.

I hope they don’t come out like that against a far superior defense on Sunday night. You have to be in attack mode.

A bad Arizona team, with an overwhelmingly friendly crowd is not a trap, or the type of road game you should have to go scrap out a win. 

Thats a homerific over rationalization to a poor performance that was inexcusable. 

Defense was solid. Their plan was clear. Dont blitz. Dont allow Murray to kill you with his legs. Were going to have to allow him to pass, and limit the damage. They did that, and held them to 17 points.

Offense was an abomination.

I mostly blame the coaches for the game plan. This was not a team that overlooked the Cardinals in the classic trap game scenario and came out sluggish and unprepared.

We came out hot. And regressed after the first drive in the 2nd quarter because of poor play calling. 0 adjustments. And least of all, but not insignificant- a regression in QB play.

I'm not defending the offensive gameplan, because it was way too passive.

However, the Eagles played the majority of snaps with Driscoll-Opeta at the left side. Kelce was in/out. AJ Brown seemed to play half the snaps. It's a road game in the NFL. It's not going to be pretty every week. The Bucs scored 21. Packers scored 20. Rams got 10. They all have "franchise QBs". You can see Joe Burrow struggling in real-time right now.

I'm not convinced that Hurts is the guy. I would draft a QB in 2023 as insurance if he flops. The last 2 weeks are evidence that Hurts' floor is still higher enough to win games.

5 minutes ago, Doc S. said:

13 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Hurts completed 70+%, including drops by Smith and Brown, a pass called back by penalty.

Sure it was a short passing game, but he made good throws, when Brady does the same, he's called the GOAT.

Problem was Eagles OL did not play well, didn't pass block well and didn't run block until the 4th Q. It wasn't as if there were WRs running free and a clean pocket to throw from.

Some fools here think a QB is going to throw 400 yards every week, well, it doesn't work that way in the NFL, some weeks, especially on the road, you have to scrap out a victory.

Some fools"? What does that do for you? You used to be better than this AFan....

I agree with Doc.  The pejorative language only serves to escalate the venom that has all too often become a staple of this Blog.

3 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

A bad Arizona team, with an overwhelmingly friendly crowd is not a trap, or the type of road game you should have to go scrap out a win. 

Thats a homerific over rationalization to a poor performance that was inexcusable. 

Defense was solid. Their plan was clear. Dont blitz. Dont allow Murray to kill you with his legs. Were going to have to allow him to pass, and limit the damage. They did that, and held them to 17 points.

Offense was an abomination.

I mostly blame the coaches for the game plan. This was not a team that overlooked the Cardinals in the classic trap game scenario and came out sluggish and unprepared.

We came out hot. And regressed after the first drive in the 2nd quarter because of poor play calling. 0 adjustments. And least of all, but not insignificant- a regression in QB play.

The trap was @e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! in attendance.   Eagles haven't won there in over 20 years.   Relax a bit. 

4 minutes ago, RLC said:

However, the Eagles played the majority of snaps with Driscoll-Opeta at the left side. Kelce was in/out. AJ Brown seemed to play half the snaps. It's a road game in the NFL. It's not going to be pretty every week. The Bucs scored 21. Packers scored 20. Rams got 10. They all have "franchise QBs". You can see Joe Burrow struggling in real-time right now.

I'm not convinced that Hurts is the guy. I would draft a QB in 2023 as insurance if he flops. The last 2 weeks are evidence that Hurts' floor is still higher enough to win games.

But we ran 7 QB sneaks...  

7 minutes ago, RLC said:

Insurance not just if Hurts flops, but also in the case where it isn't a flop with rookie contract compensation/cap hit, but would be an unwise investment on a second contract compensation/cap hit.

17 minutes ago, RLC said:

That was a defensive player I was thinking the Eagles might trade for heading into last offseason.  

29 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I said after last week, I excuse Hurts for the weather but wanted to see him bounce back with a big game in Arizona today. 

Part of this was the play calling, which was putrid. WR screen, after WR screen, without blocking. 

But also, Hurts made bad decisions on the very few passes that were actual real routes.

The INT that got called back was a ridiculous read.

The hospital ball to Quez was a stupid decision. On top of it, if he threw to AJ Brown he had an easy path to the goal line and Goedert was ready to throw a huge block to let him turn the corner. 

Hurts also bailed on pockets early again just because there was a blitz. Even though it was picked up. On one, he missed Quez for a TD apparently. I forget the scenario of the 2nd time that he did it noticeably badly. But, it was a bad time to do it, and a bad result.

If you throw away last weeks weather game, you have a guy who has had 2 really good games throwing, and 2 really bad games. Which means, at best he is very inconsistent. If you dont throw that game away, then he has more bad games than good.

Either way, it was pre-mature to assume we can take ourselves out of the 1st round QB market. That should still be very much in play.

Unless, hopefully, Hurts starts stacking good games. But he looks far from it tonight. 

Suddenly, Im not confident in the Dallas game.

This game shouldnt have been close. 

Wait, you mean that everyone saying Hurts was the MVP after two games overreacted????????

I am stunned.

1 minute ago, Wentz_Era said:

How is Calais Campbell still playing?  How old is that dude now?

Younger than Brady.

6 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

No argument, mostly. Boobie should have been more active, AJ needed more looks, Quez was open a lot.

Not happy with a lot of the Offensive woes, D mostly held up, came outa the Desert with the Dubya.

Nice substitute kicking Game...Won it, actually, remember?

Dissecting or moving on to Dallas at 5-0?  Perhaps both.

"Philadelphia, the joy of winning, the Agony of reading about it tomorrow"...Mike Schmidt.

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

The trap was @e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! in attendance.   Eagles haven't won there in over 20 years.   Relax a bit. 

Im not calm. Im pissed that we are looking worse and worse leading up to Dallas.

The offense needs to be scoring more points. Not struggling more and more as we prepare to face the best defense we have seen so far.

The Rams should have handed Dallas a loss for us today. With that, and us beating them next week we could have created breathing room.

Right now, it feels like we may give up ground. 

Im not so mad at the players. The scariest thing is that we may see another game plan that ugly again this season. And if it happens to come next week, its a loss. 

This isn’t a complaint but Eagles have been trending down in third down efficiency recently. Something that needs to get cleaned up if they want to be serious contenders. 

My two biggest issues coming out of this game were the tackling on defense. We gave the Cardinals so many more yards and allow drives to continue because of piss poor tackling. The other issue I didn’t like some of the play calling on offense. Aj brown disappears way too Much at times when he needs to be targeted. When it is third and goal at the five, I want to run a slant with AJ Brown, who is my best wide receiver. He has a big body that can box out that corner and either the corners get off the run through him and try to get a deflection maybe getting a Pi, make a great play or AJ gonna catch it for the touchdown. There were some others and other formations I really didn’t care for 

2 minutes ago, Doc S. said:

No argument, mostly. Boobie should have been more active, AJ needed more looks, Quez was open a lot.

Not happy with a lot of the Offensive woes, D mostly held up, came outa the Desert with the Dubya.

Nice substitute kicking Game...Won it, actually, remember?

Dissecting or moving on to Dallas at 5-0?  Perhaps both.

"Philadelphia, the joy of winning, the Agony of reading about it tomorrow"...Mike Schmidt.

This is my concern with Hurts.  Yes, the play calling sucked, but there were a lot of plays with Quez open and on the near INT, Quez was deep for a TD.  Is Hurts not looking downfield?  Is he still just failing to go through his reads?  These are the questions a lot of us had about Hurts coming in to the season and today exposed a lot of those again.

Archived