EMB Blog: 2022 Regular Season (and beyond?) - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

4 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

in terms of collecting assets... Dicker is an asset.  AZ lost because their fill in kicker choked.   Howie being Howie won't let this guy get away for nothing.  

Kicker is overlooked, until you miss a kick.  Then it costs you a game.  Dicker should be worth a pick to a team that's desperate for a kicker.

One of Howie's best traits is never being satisfied.

• Replies 64k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was fugly, but a W is a W all day long and 5-0 is not to be sniffed at.  The Cards did well to adjust their D after the opening few series and things didn't get going afterwards. 

My concern is the O gets itself into a hole early against a better team, and will struggle to get out of it.  Tape will be out there now.

7 minutes ago, RLC said:

The Eagles' "abomination" of an offense scored 20 points this week, which was around the league median. Scored more than teams with Wilson, Burrow, Lamar, Stafford, Lawrence, etc.

Was it a good performance? No. Are there concerns about beating the blitz? Yes.

But on 3rd and 11, Hurts audibled and excited well in a traditional dropback passing game to hit that pass to Goedert. That's exactly what you want to see.

This feels like whataboutism. Just because other offenses struggled has no correlation to our own issues. 

21 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I figured that too. 

But curious to know what Hurts wanted to do, or what Hurts didnt like. Also curious to see if Hurts ran that actual play. 

My thought process was Shane wanted to run the ball, Hurts didnt, Shane said trust me, Hurts changed the play which is why it looked sloppy as f

That’s a believable narrative, a QB generally wants the ball in his hands - aside from the Goedert play, the signature drive was very 2021. 

26 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

He doesn't even need Rodgers.  Just a coach that uses him like the dynamic weapon he is rather than a possession WR.  The way they used him yesterday was pathetic.  How many screens did he catch?  He was getting absolutely crushed on every one of them and there wasn't any clear space for him to run.  He may have gotten 5-6 yards on them but he isn't a quick, shake you kind of player which is what those screens needed.  

Get him in to open space across the middle and watch him flourish.  Throw him the ball downfield and let him use his wingspan.  They are completely misusing him.

Bc the qb cant consistently make those plays

7 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

This feels like whataboutism. Just because other offenses struggled has no correlation to our own issues. 

No.  The Panthers have an abomination of an offense. The Texans are gross on offense too. The Eagles were average, and we're disappointed. Having higher standards is good, but put it into perspective.

14 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

The passing game across the board was very bad yesterday.  Too many WR screens... way too many.  Too many QB sneaks.  Almost seemed like they went into the game with a game plan 1/3 of the regular one.  Saving things for Dallas perhaps, but far too conservative.  They got away with it though.

Constant blitz and a D playing 10 players near the LOS is a strategy against team that won’t risk going vertical or hasn’t fine tuned their quick game. Perhaps with the starting OL we’ll have the confidence to block it up and take some shots - still unsure why the bubble seemingly was the only counter to what the Cards were doing.

4 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Constant blitz and a D playing 10 players near the LOS is a strategy against team that won’t risk going vertical or hasn’t fine tuned their quick game. Perhaps with the starting OL we’ll have the confidence to block it up and take some shots - still unsure why the bubble seemingly was the only counter to what the Cards were doing.

And yet, this team went vertical a ton in the weeks leading up to this game.

15 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Something happened after the first 3 series.  From the start, it looked like AJ Brown and the offense was going to feast all game long.  His 3 catches were contested but looked easy.  We just want Hurts so spread the ball evenly.  Yea, there are going to be games where one or the other goes off but this was just weird.  But then all of the sudden, Brown was non existent. 

If I had to pick AJ Brown or DeVonta Smith to call what seemed to be 6 WR screens, I'm picking Brown every time.  His YAC is more broken tackles than DeVonta's who's is finesse.  Smith was getting killed.  AJ Brown is built much better to take those hits.  I don't want our 165 lb. stick of  a WR taking those hits.  

I'm not arguing that either of those complaints aren't valid. Fully agree the usage of either didn't make sense this game. Which is especially frustrating since we've seen them used well earlier in the season. 

I'm not football savvy enough to know for sure but I'd guess part of it is Steichen planning around certain defensive schemes/players and getting too cute. 

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

And yet, this team went vertical a ton in the weeks leading up to this game.

This game was very reminiscent to DET in terms of the challenges, but AJ had no problems getting involved and Swag broke the blitz (Simmons is probably a better solution to whatever the Lions were spying with).

48 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

I figure this was about the play call(s), which honestly weren’t very inspiring and Swag was doing a lot of checking at the line.  In terms of the play coming out of the TO, having AJ and Quez in the same area didn’t seem right. Actually, the usage of AJ in general seemed weird.

Yeah something was definitely wrong when you have two receivers running essentially the same route 2 yards from each other

Maybe my perspective is different because I watched a recording of the game after I knew the result

But I didnt have a major problem with the offense.  We really were 2-3 mistakes away from opening up comfortable leads on multiple occasions.  The fake punt, holding call near the goal line, Devontas drop on 2nd down right before Hurts got sacked....all these took points off the board

As far as the WR screens, the Eagles needed to do something to discourage the all out blitzing.  The Cowboys will notice that, and Im betting we see some playcalls that work off of those screens in the next few weeks.  

1 minute ago, Mike31mt said:

Maybe my perspective is different because I watched a recording of the game after I knew the result

But I didnt have a major problem with the offense.  We really were 2-3 mistakes away from opening up comfortable leads on multiple occasions.  The fake punt, holding call near the goal line, Devontas drop on 2nd down right before Hurts got sacked....all these took points off the board

As far as the WR screens, the Eagles needed to do something to discourage the all out blitzing.  The Cowboys will notice that, and Im betting we see some playcalls that work off of those screens in the next few weeks.  

The reverse is also true, they were a couple breaks away from losing too.   The dropped INT, the missed FG at the end, the early slide followed by the spike to force the FG attempt immediately.  It goes both ways in a 60 minute game.  

It wasn't a good offensive performance... especially after they got to 14-0.  

Some positives: Josiah Scott played well in Maddox's place and Jordan Davis' snap count is up. 

Crazy to think we have not only great starting CBs, but good depth too. 

A few things to note…

We were down 2-3 starters on the OP for parts of the game and faced a team that blitzed on 45 percent of our pass attempts. Both teams were good at sustaining drives. We only had eight possessions and scored on half of them. 

7 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Holy F what a sports weekend for me   

Phillies/Braves

Vols/Bama

Eagles/Cowbishes

Stock the liquor cabinet 

10 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Holy F what a sports weekend for me   

Phillies/Braves

Vols/Bama

Eagles/Cowbishes

I'm torn. It'll be a close one but I think the Vols pull it out. Tillman should be back

19 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

Some positives: Josiah Scott played well in Maddox's place and Jordan Davis' snap count is up. 

Crazy to think we have not only great starting CBs, but good depth too. 

Scott did do well, seemed like the only DB that wanted to tackle (well Eppsy is fairly consistent). JD did his job as usual.

The penny fronts were working early  - did we get out of that when the Cards started picking on TJ in coverage? The 4-man fronts just seemed ineffective and/or reliant on unforced errors as the backend was very loose in coverage.

1 hour ago, ToastJenkins said:

Need mailata back next week. Parsons will be a handful

They can’t win next week if multiple OL leave the game in the usual fashion.

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

You could say... he's pretty good.

What exactly does this mean?

You don't need a statistical analysis to tell you that the sky is blue and Justin Tucker is a great kicker.  

I don't know what Fangio is helping with but he's certainly helping.  He's not traveling with the team so he must be helping with the preparation and probably giving feedback on the calls during the previous game.  

3 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Way too many snaps for TE2 and TE3.  The 3 TE sets with AN Brown on the sidelines were perplexingly dumb.  We have a great set of WR, we’re indoors and we’re playing a dumbed down 2021 offense.  Fing let it rip.  Ish!  

I imagine the 12 personnel was to help out Driscoll and create a wider front for the outside blitz to get around - the 13 personnel was the 2021 drive. I agree, I rather get AJ the ball on quick hitters or give Quez a chance over the top (rollout away from the overload?)… be more aggressive, less predictable.

1 minute ago, NCiggles said:

I don't know what Fangio is helping with but he's certainly helping.  He's not traveling with the team so he must be helping with the preparation and probably giving feedback on the calls during the previous game.  

Yeah, this whole 'consultant' thing is extremely enigmatic.  

42 minutes ago, Mike31mt said:

Hot routes would be a nice wrinkle.

Archived