EMB Blog: 2022 Regular Season (and beyond?) - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

Just now, BigEFly said:

Nothing planned about the end result of that play. But he hit Watkins where only he could and probably should have caught the ball.  

That throw might have hit his hands, but that throw was a recipe for disaster. Can’t throw high in the front of the end zone. Could have easily been intercepted too. 

• Replies 64k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, NCiggles said:

I am not sure why Hurts threw it to Watkins.  It seems like the better choice would have been Brown.  I am guessing the route concept had something to do with the Eagles expecting pressure and Hurts having to move away from it.  So it gave him 3 targets on one side.  I am not a big fan of the play call but maybe they score if Hurts gets it to Brown instead of Watkins.  It's not like he would have walked in with it but I think he would have been difficult for them to stop.  There's no real explanation for throwing it to Watkins unless he didn't think the DB covering Goedert was in zone.  It was a bad decision by Hurts to make that throw more than a bad play call.  

Ball should have been on the way to Brown here

image.png.18a432e6ff9aa8b94de510565a4805ae.png

25 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

Acting like Daniel Jones and Cooper Rush are franchise QBs is an interesting take. Wentz isn't the only problem there Ron.  

24 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Wentz has not been very good for them. But their offensive line is horrible. The fact they let scherff go was completely idiotic imo 

Rivera seems to be burning a bridge.  Washington is in big trouble.  The QB is not their only problem, like you say.  But, Cooper Rush, while the team is 4-0 with him starting is not the reason that they've gone 4-0.  Yesterday's game, for example, was much more about the defense and running game than it was Rush.

10 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Hurts needed to sit in the pocket and deliver the ball to Brown instead of freaking out over a blitz. That would have made the play design look much better. 

I think you are right... but you can likely count the number of times he's sat in the pocket to deliver the ball against the blitz on one hand.   He did it for the 3rd and 11 to Goedert.  That was another opportunity.  But, he's still not comfortable in the pocket.

Just now, ManuManu said:

Maybe stop giving re-tread coaches jobs and the team would be better. 

9 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Nothing planned about the end result of that play. But he hit Watkins where only he could and probably should have caught the ball.  

IF Watkins were Brown, I'd agree.  But, Watkins isn't that physical WR that's going to out muscle players for position or the ball.   It's like asking Gainwell to stone wall a blitzing 240 lb LB.  Just not something you can reasonably expect.

8 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Rivera seems to be burning a bridge.  Washington is in big trouble.  The QB is not their only problem, like you say.  But, Cooper Rush, while the team is 4-0 with him starting is not the reason that they've gone 4-0.  Yesterday's game, for example, was much more about the defense and running game than it was Rush.

But Rush didn’t throw away the game. 

23 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Hurts needed to sit in the pocket and deliver the ball to Brown instead of freaking out over a blitz. That would have made the play design look much better. 

I don't mind him moving in the pocket on that play.  I think it was fine to have him back away from pressure to avoid a negative play.  He just has to make the throw to Brown.  What I hate is him spinning in the pocket with no purpose.  He ran into a sack that way when he should have either thrown it or just take off up the middle.  

23 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

That throw might have hit his hands, but that throw was a recipe for disaster. Can’t throw high in the front of the end zone. Could have easily been intercepted too. 

Tbh at the game i actually thought it was picked when it happened from. My view was from behind the play. 

20 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Dallas defense is playing like a top 3 unit. They are making it so the offense just has to get to 20 points to win a game. They’ve yet to give up 20. Yesterday special teams also helped out as they got the blocked punt. Went and watched that game when i got him, besides kupp’s catch and run for a td, their defense was really good. This is going to be the best defense we face all year in the regular season. I really hope mailata, Dickerson and kelce play and are highly effective. 

15 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Maybe stop giving re-tread coaches jobs and the team would be better. 

That isn’t necessarily the issue; of the last few SB coaches Andy Reid was a retread, Bruce Arians was a retread, Bill Belichick was a retread, Pete Carroll was a retread, Gary Kubiak was a retread, Tom Coughlin was a retread. That’s like 7-8 of the last 11 SB winners.

I don’t think there are many coaches, retread or otherwise, who can consistently win for Snyder.

3 hours ago, justrelax said:

Definitely a game we could have lost.

A few comments:

When the Cards ran a light front, a 4-2, we ran unless down and distance dictated a pass. Good basic football. Count the men in the box.

The Cards showed a lot of 6- and 7-man fronts, did some run blitzing and worked for quick pressure. Against that we ran a bunch of TE screens, which worked well to the offensive left, less so to the right. We had few deep shots because the Cards brought a lot of pressure. Driscoll did not have a good game, at all. A lot of immediate pressure from his side. In fairness, he hadn't played any LT until last week. His kick step to that side is just too short and the rusher gets past his outside shoulder way too often. The Cards also overloaded that side. On at least two occasions Seumalo pulled from RG to take an outside blitzer on the left side. That's a long way to go but he got there. All the same, Hurts rarely had a clean pocket.

You just know Dallas is going to try to isolate Parsons on Driscoll. He could be a game-wrecker. Pray that Mailata will be good to go.

I suspect Mailata and Maddox both would have played this week if it was Dallas. I also suspect they gave them an extra week knowing they wanted them to be a close as 100% for Dallas as possible. 

2 hours ago, NCiggles said:

I am not sure why Hurts threw it to Watkins.  It seems like the better choice would have been Brown.  I am guessing the route concept had something to do with the Eagles expecting pressure and Hurts having to move away from it.  So it gave him 3 targets on one side.  I am not a big fan of the play call but maybe they score if Hurts gets it to Brown instead of Watkins.  It's not like he would have walked in with it but I think he would have been difficult for them to stop.  There's no real explanation for throwing it to Watkins unless he didn't think the DB covering Goedert was in zone.  It was a bad decision by Hurts to make that throw more than a bad play call.  

Gordert was about to light that guy up (had it gone to Brown) and Brown would have had the corner of the end zone easily. 

7 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Tbh at the game i actually thought it was picked when it happened from. My view was from behind the play. 

Listening to it on the Cards’ feed they thought at first Thompson had a sure INT, and dropped it when he collided with another defender.  On second look said both he and Watkins had their hands on it.

Characterized it as Hurts throwing it up for grabs, which I’d say is partially true.  It was definitely an ill-advised throw in the red zone where he passed up an easy throw to AJ Brown 

Guest justrelax
5 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I suspect Mailata and Maddox both would have played this week if it was Dallas. I also suspect they gave them an extra week knowing they wanted them to be a close as 100% for Dallas as possible. 

I’d like to think so.

5 minutes ago, RLC said:

LaCanfora, but still.

Having to eat salary to dump Robbie Anderson 

🤮

12 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Listening to it on the Cards’ feed they thought at first Thompson had a sure INT, and dropped it when he collided with another defender.  On second look said both he and Watkins had their hands on it.

Characterized it as Hurts throwing it up for grabs, which I’d say is partially true.  It was definitely an ill-advised throw in the red zone where he passed up an easy throw to AJ Brown 

Hero ball, should have put it on AJ Brown in the middle of the field and let him work.  That is what you traded a 1st plus and paid 100 million for.

37 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

This is great.  Sports !!  

I was dancing like that when the Mets were eliminated!  Good for the soul, and good for the Phils chances going forward.

1 hour ago, 315Eagles said:

Think I've heard that before somewhere else......and somewhere else before that.

And it was true for both times before, too.

46 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

But Rush didn’t throw away the game. 

True.  But they didn't ask him to win it either. 

Archived