EMB Blog: 2022 Regular Season (and beyond?) - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

11 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I’m not sure how much of a chance he was given to beat the blitz beyond relentlessly peppering them with WR screens. I’m curious how many times he had a hot route he could have hit or an outlet receiver available. 

I couldn’t say for sure yesterday but our play design has failed in previous weeks because there was nowhere to go quickly. He definitely had one play where he was sacked because he bailed on a decent pocket. Not sure if there was anyone open even if he hung in there. 

Do you think they have audibles that can be called to have plays against the blitz, or does the coaching staff not trust him with that ??

AJ Brown on a slant would wreck blitzes.

• Replies 64k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

It also looked like Sirianni was ticked off with Steichen or someone yesterday. Doesn't necessarily mean anything in the grand scheme of things but he looked pretty upset about something with the offense. 

In the presser he went out of his way to praise Swag for checking some plays - switching from man-to-man beaters to zone, iirc. There is something there, but a W likely keeps a lid on it. Just part of the punch list ahead of the DAL game.

3 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

And yet, this team went vertical a ton in the weeks leading up to this game.

Not really.  1 week they did. 

Just now, downundermike said:

Do you think they have audibles that can be called to have plays against the blitz, or does the coaching staff not trust him with that ??

He’s calling protections, that’s what all the Rip business was about. It’s strange that the WOs don’t sight adjust their routes for the blitz or at least have an alert (they seem to just run routes as called).

15 hours ago, eagle45 said:

The only thing they gutted out was the AZ final FG attempt.  The offense put up zero TDs in the second half and the defense folded on both of the last 2 AZ possessions.

They gutted out a win on the road against a talented team while battling OL injuries, PERIOD.

These expectations of blowing out every opponent are ridiculous.

16 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Columbus was a colossal failure.  He was attempting to find a passage to India through the west.  He failed... miserably in that quest.   Granted, other opportunities arose for the Spanish for bank rolling his voyage, but in terms of achieving the stated objective, it was an abject failure.  

SANTA MARIA, Man!

How was he a failure? Got a Free 8 month Pleasure Cruise with 60 other guys, top shelf weevils in moldy bread, rancid water and the best strains of scurvy. Cabin boy to do his laundry, Private Brandy stash, first choice of salted pork....

Yeah, Amerigo Vespucci won the battle, but Columbus got to name some joint in the Southern Hemisphere instead...

Consolation Prize, Participation Medals awarded...

Looking at the Panther's roster I'm not really convinced they need to be in total rebuild mode.  Give them a top QB prospect, a good OC and DeMeco Ryans and they could be at the top of that division relatively quickly (once Brady is gone obviously)

I was frustrated by the pass rush, but then they could have been coached to mush rush.

Murray didn't do many scramble-around plays.

7 minutes ago, downundermike said:

If you think it's just as simple as calling a slant, don't you think we would have realized that? The Cardinals' coaches get paid too.

I do agree though that our approach to their blitzes wasn't good.

Guest justrelax

Definitely a game we could have lost.

A few comments:

When the Cards ran a light front, a 4-2, we ran unless down and distance dictated a pass. Good basic football. Count the men in the box.

The Cards showed a lot of 6- and 7-man fronts, did some run blitzing and worked for quick pressure. Against that we ran a bunch of TE screens, which worked well to the offensive left, less so to the right. We had few deep shots because the Cards brought a lot of pressure. Driscoll did not have a good game, at all. A lot of immediate pressure from his side. In fairness, he hadn't played any LT until last week. His kick step to that side is just too short and the rusher gets past his outside shoulder way too often. The Cards also overloaded that side. On at least two occasions Seumalo pulled from RG to take an outside blitzer on the left side. That's a long way to go but he got there. All the same, Hurts rarely had a clean pocket.

You just know Dallas is going to try to isolate Parsons on Driscoll. He could be a game-wrecker. Pray that Mailata will be good to go.

If we lose this week, it's going to be brutal. 

5 weeks of pent up vitriol just waiting to be unleashed through the bye.

5 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

Looking at the Panther's roster I'm not really convinced they need to be in total rebuild mode.  Give them a top QB prospect, a good OC and DeMeco Ryans and they could be at the top of that division relatively quickly (once Brady is gone obviously)

The QB moves were baffling - otherwise the roster had a okay mix of players.

2 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Yep. Hurts has been wrecked both times he played the Cowboys.  5-0 means nothing if he gets wrecked by them again.

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

Yep. Hurts has been wrecked both times he played the Cowboys.  5-0 means nothing if he gets wrecked by them again.

I’d be highly disappointed if we got wrecked by Cooper Rush or a banged up Dak, especially given the improvements to our roster and the holes on theirs.

5 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Frankly the cards defense is better than we are giving them credit for. the chiefs game really skews it as they gave up 44. Taking away a murray pick 6, the last 4 weeks they are giving up 17.3 ppg. However i do think Dallas defense is arguably the best we will face all regular season.

8 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

I was frustrated by the pass rush, but then they could have been coached to mush rush.

Murray didn't do many scramble-around plays.

I don't think Murray had all day to throw.  It seemed like they had as many short throws as the Eagles. 

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

Career

Chase 113 for 1798 and 15 TD's, 15.9 per.

Smith 92 for 1269 and 6 TD's, 13.8 per.

Smith has a lot of work to do to get back into the conversation.

He's back in as far as this particular year is concerned.

13 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Definitely a game we could have lost.

A few comments:

When the Cards ran a light front, a 4-2, we ran unless down and distance dictated a pass. Good basic football. Count the men in the box.

The Cards showed a lot of 6- and 7-man fronts, did some run blitzing and worked for quick pressure. Against that we ran a bunch of TE screens, which worked well to the offensive left, less so to the right. We had few deep shots because the Cards brought a lot of pressure. Driscoll did not have a good game, at all. A lot of immediate pressure from his side. In fairness, he hadn't played any LT until last week. His kick step to that side is just too short and the rusher gets past his outside shoulder way too often. The Cards also overloaded that side. On at least two occasions Seumalo pulled from RG to take an outside blitzer on the left side. That's a long way to go but he got there. All the same, Hurts rarely had a clean pocket.

You just know Dallas is going to try to isolate Parsons on Driscoll. He could be a game-wrecker. Pray that Mailata will be good to go.

Mailata or Dillard would be better.  I hope there's a chance Dillard is ready too.  

23 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

If you think it's just as simple as calling a slant, don't you think we would have realized that? The Cardinals' coaches get paid too.

I do agree though that our approach to their blitzes wasn't good.

Not saying it has to be a slant, but AJ getting a ball on a slant against a blitz would do damage.

The point, does not seem Hurts audibles to anything that gives him a quick completion on a blitz.

2 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’m actually surprised as the game went on they didn’t go back to that well with aj brown. He got his 3 receptions and they really didn’t look his way again for much of the game. I’m fine doing WR screens cause smith and Watkins had some success with it. But Brown is the type of receiver if you do it and he breaks one tackle with his size and physically that he could be gone. The 3rd and goal play, i was surprised they didn’t try and run a Wr screen to brown (would’ve called another route with brown) as they been calling WR screens a lot. If he catches it and he doesn’t get in the cardinals have to burn a timeout. If he gets in we score a td. The only issue would’ve been if it were incomplete which imo the WR screen has a higher probability of completion unless the corner jumps the route.

You saw more of the secondary than we would on TV.  I suspect when I see it on the All22, I will see Baker shaded his way.

41 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’d have to go watch the replay of that. Felt like they ran a drag route across the field with him. Then again it was the far side of the field from where i was. 

play I’m talking about looks more like a go in motion drag. slant I want is brown runs a yard and a half vertical and slants going into the end zone. not running him across the field where he’s running horizontally across at the 4

Neither of then ran a slant, and if they did you don't wait until they're on the other side of the field. The slant is a quick hitter, they break in and the ball should be there. They did not run many, if any, of those yesterday.

Also, this play so obviously should have gone to brown. He easily gets in, idk what hurts was thinking.

Archived