EMB Blog: 2022 Regular Season (and beyond?) - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 64k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

If the Panthers called the Eagles and offered Burns straight up for the Saints pick, would you do it if you were Howie?

Nope, could be top 5 and I think will be.

Just now, BigEFly said:

Funny thing about Columbus Day is it was started for Italian Americans to counteract the discrimination southern and Eastern European immigrants faced at the turn of the last century.  The protestors seeking to change the name only display their own ignorance about discrimination through history in the US.  

Columbus day has existed as a celebration in other countries prior to coming to the US.  It was pushed as a holiday in order to celebrate a Catholic and a person from what is now Italy.  Columbus wasn't Italian.  He was from Genoa. There was no Italy until the mid 18th century. If the idea is to celebrate Italian's contribution to this country, let's have an Enrico Fermi (maybe a little too controversial), Justice Scalia or Mother Cabrini day.   We don't have to celebrate Columbus as a hero when what he did contributed nothing to this country. Navigation to the Americas would have happened without Columbus.  Even recognizing that his voyage precipatated european colonization of the Americas, he was never a colonist. He was a trader.  When he realized he had not reached another trade route to the Indies, he engaged in abuse of the natives that ended with the genocide of the Arawaks.  It only was the start of a massive genocide of indigenous people including the genocide of the Arawaks on Hispaniola. We can excuse Columbus's conduct as in line with what was legally appropriate at the time.  I am not sure how that conflicts with recognizing the actual harm caused to the Natives he encountered.    

Could be a bit risky, but I wonder if a team out there who's lost some OL depth, and there have been a few, would be interested in Dillard when he gets healthy, and then you could flip that pick in a package for Burns. If Carolina even wants to move him, he's probably one of the few pieces they'd want to keep. Restocking picks to go after a QB is great, but having a QB with no players around him isn't great either.

I just checked the Turds’ schedule; they’ve not exactly come up against a murderers row of offensive lines so far:

TB — banged up

CIN — 4 new starters that haven’t gelled

NYG — bad OL 

WASH — bad OL

Rams — not very good, and dysfunctional offense only scored 80 points in 5 games

This might be another game where the Eagles should try to tee off and go for 200+ again on the ground.

I don't know why these coaches get so much money after they're fired.  I know owners got more money than they know what to do with but man what a waste.

1 minute ago, Sack that QB said:

Could be a bit risky, but I wonder if a team out there who's lost some OL depth, and there have been a few, would be interested in Dillard when he gets healthy, and then you could flip that pick in a package for Burns. If Carolina even wants to move him, he's probably one of the few pieces they'd want to keep. Restocking picks to go after a QB is great, but having a QB with no players around him isn't great either.

I think Dillard might end up being more useful to us than anyone else down the stretch.

55 minutes ago, RLC said:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/carolina-panthers

CMC makes a ton of sense. Carolina will want to move on from him. He solves our PR and Kenny Gainwell problems. We can also spell Sanders effectively. Miles shouldn't be getting a 75% snap share.

In a smaller move, I'd go after Matt Ioannidis to help out the iDL rotation. Let him play strong-side end.

Depending on what it takes to get CMC I would be interested.  Would Gainwell and a 2nd do it?

I've loved Ioannidis since  his Temple days but I want an edge rusher.

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

2 reasons..

1) I dont give a flying F about grammar here

2) I was probably going to say something else, and just decided to end with, is dumb

no you wouldnt

Only messing around, man. You used it for dramatic effect, I get it.

29 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Contract can’t be aside; He’s getting 16m next year and we can barely afford that without making huge adjustments.

I think he’s very good, but he’s not spectacularly good. He’s consistent but has never even had a double digit sack season. What would we do with the 16m$ man if we traded for him? Have him be the backup behind Sweat? Start him in a rotation where he’d be playing 35% of the snaps? And what do we do with him after that? Give him a monster extension or is he just a 1.5 year rental?

He’d help us for sure, but a 1st round pick would be a hefty price.

All good points.  I would add, can he drop in coverage because it sure looks like that is a requirement for DE for Gannon.  Not often but just enough to disguise.

18 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Bad math.  Size of the Earth had been calculated for almost 1,500 years by then. 

While that may be true, they didn’t correlate that to the distance between Europe and Asia heading west. If that were actually the case, there would be no way Columbus thought he landed in India as he wasn’t even halfway there.

24 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

If the Panthers called the Eagles and offered Burns straight up for the Saints pick, would you do it if you were Howie?

Saints pick no, Eagles pick yes.

15 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

People have been displacing other peoples, often with devastating impact on a regular basis, including displacement occurring in preColumian Americas.  

Have you read Guns, Germs and Steel?

Yes, I have read that along with 1491 and a fair amount of other books. Including people writing on Columbus.  I agree that displacement and war is all a part of human history.  Arguably the conquest of the Americas was only possible because of the native population having a lack of immunity for European diseases.  Historians make the point that disease spread faster and killed more people in the Americas than Europeans. We don't have to view natives as some morally uncorruptible people to acknowledge their cultures were destroyed by European colonization. At the same time, we don't have laude the acheivements of Columbus when they are wrapped in so many negative consequences for many people.  

18 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I think Dillard might end up being more useful to us than anyone else down the stretch.

Yeah. We're trying to win a championship here. Teams with those aspirations shouldn't be trading their backup LT (or their backup QB). Does anyone think we win the Super Bowl without Vaitai and Foles?

5 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Saints pick no, Eagles pick yes.

I would probably consider it for the Saints pick now. Burns is 24.  He's a top DE in the League.  He's worth a top 10 pick and it's possible the Saint's pick will be lower than top 10.  

Also have to factor in Burns will be getting paid soon. And paid handsomely. As will Hurts. Draft pick is controllable for 5 years at low salary. So the calculus isn't just Saints pick vs Burns. But Saints pick plus likely the ability to use the money you'd be paying Burns on another free agent pickup vs Burns.

2 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Also have to factor in Burns will be getting paid soon. And paid handsomely. As will Hurts. Draft pick is controllable for 5 years at low salary. So the calculus isn't just Saints pick vs Burns. But Saints pick plus likely the ability to use the money you'd be paying Burns on another free agent pickup vs Burns.

Burns is a known commodity.  Howie has proven he sucks at drafting DE.  I would much rather trade for someone who has shown he can dominate in the NFL.  Think of it like adding Hugh Douglas.

I'd much rather trade for Burns, let Cox's contract expire and trade Hargrave at the deadline and use the money tied up in to those guys for locking up Burns.

You can certainly make a case for doing it, but the Saints pick gives optionality. I don't think this will happen, but what if Hurts regresses and has a terrible 2nd half to the season and Howie needs to rethink their QB plans. If you give up the Saints pick, you can kiss that goodbye.

But potentially you could get say Will Anderson and sign Bradley Chubb with what you'd be giving for Burns. I used the two most ideal scenarios, so a lot would have to go right for the Eagles to get both of them, but it is possible. Once you trade that Saints pick for Burns, those possibilities are gone. You're locked into Burns. He's very good, but I love having options.

Another thing that's been bothering me. The Eagles do it a lot but I see other teams doing it too. And that is pushing the pile forward. It's illegal to help the runner. It's against the rules. Heck, Goedert even blatantly pulled Hurts in on the first touchdown run.

It's not being called and I guess it's not going to be called this season so everyone is now putting a guy right behind the quarterback on sneaks and having him drive from behind.

There's just something about it that I find distasteful as a football fan.

6 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Another thing that's been bothering me. The Eagles do it a lot but I see other teams doing it too. And that is pushing the pile forward. It's illegal to help the runner. It's against the rules. Heck, Goedert even blatantly pulled Hurts in on the first touchdown run.

It's not being called and I guess it's not going to be called this season so everyone is now putting a guy right behind the quarterback on sneaks and having him drive from behind.

I have never understood how permissible that is in the NFL when rules prohibit it, esp when they go so hard on player safety in other areas.

51 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Funny thing about Columbus Day is it was started for Italian Americans to counteract the discrimination southern and Eastern European immigrants faced at the turn of the last century.  The protestors seeking to change the name only display their own ignorance about discrimination through history in the US.  

@justrelax You may have an interesting perspective on this conversation...Civil War and related issues being your bailiwick..

Funny thing about History. It's usually written by the Victors, or at the very least, the Survivors...

American Indians have a much different perspective of "History" than the American Government of the time, or even now.

Southern farmers in the late 1700's would not necessarily agree with the "Official" accounts of the Union's efforts to rebuild the South while Land Grabs, Railroad Rights of Way and Re-Districting were the theme of the time ...

Settling the West, displacing Indigenous peoples at the end of a Gun, Barbed Wire, Cattle Monopolies, Water Rights, Telegraph and Railroad Easements on Private land, Conglomerates setting prices on Beef, Furs, Corn and Wheat....and on and on.

Now find Gold in the Hills. Laws go in the toilet, Biggest Dog killing off the competition, Wholesale Murder to Own Claims..all considered now as Progress and "Nation Building".

History? As written by the Winners, accepted by the Masses, Carry on, As you were....nothing to see here...

...Public Education can actually work...:whistle:

11 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

You can push.  They changed the rule in 2005.

You can't lift or carry.

(Yes, I saw some pulling on that play.)

Archived