EMB Blog: 2022 Regular Season (and beyond?) - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

1 hour ago, Doc S. said:

Columbus...Isn't he the guy that found Queen Elizabeth II's diaphragm in the Rectory and blackmailed her into bankrolling his World Tour?

That led to him discovering a lil spit of Beach called San Salvador and declaring that sandbar the New World..?

That was right before his big fight with Amerigo Vespucci regarding Naming Rights for the soon to be completed Meadowlands Sports Complex...

Hey...Public Education FTW!...

Funny thing about Columbus Day is it was started for Italian Americans to counteract the discrimination southern and Eastern European immigrants faced at the turn of the last century.  The protestors seeking to change the name only display their own ignorance about discrimination through history in the US.  

• Replies 64k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

Better choice was to run the ball. 

Which is why i think Shane was yelling "trust me" before the play. 

Silly to throw the ball there imo

I would have been happier with a run.  They should have passed it on 2nd down because it would have been less expected.  

30 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Not saying it has to be a slant, but AJ getting a ball on a slant against a blitz would do damage.

The point, does not seem Hurts audibles to anything that gives him a quick completion on a blitz.

I thought I read that he called an audible on the first down to Goedert late in the game?

1 minute ago, Iggles25 said:

Contract aside, would you trade the Eagles own 1st RD pick for Brian Burns? Versus drafting a DE with that pick.

Yes. Yes i would. He’s 24 and a beast. 

11 minutes ago, Iggles25 said:

Contract aside, would you trade the Eagles own 1st RD pick for Brian Burns? Versus drafting a DE with that pick.

Yes, as the salary cap only seems to be an issue when it is tied up on aging/declining players.

And a late-1st pick probably only has like a 1/3 chance of being anything more then a replacement level player (no citation).

6 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

I am not sure where CMC would fit in this offense. 

We don't have any good backs in pass protection. That's one of the reasons we get blitzed so much.

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I would absolutely trade our own pick (and keep the Saints) for Brian Burns. [ahnoldvoice]Do it. Do it now.[/ahnoldvoice]

10 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

Fine. I'll say it. I think we lose to the Cowboys.

I think the home crowd will carry us but wouldn’t be shocked 

10 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Problem is, can't trade the Saints pick for him and the Eagles pick at least as of now is probably viewed as one of the least valuable 1st rounders in the NFL.

15 minutes ago, Iggles25 said:

Contract can’t be aside; He’s getting 16m next year and we can barely afford that without making huge adjustments.

I think he’s very good, but he’s not spectacularly good. He’s consistent but has never even had a double digit sack season. What would we do with the 16m$ man if we traded for him? Have him be the backup behind Sweat? Start him in a rotation where he’d be playing 35% of the snaps? And what do we do with him after that? Give him a monster extension or is he just a 1.5 year rental?

He’d help us for sure, but a 1st round pick would be a hefty price.

2 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Paying Capitol for a RB in todays game, is dumb

Paying a running back that kind of money is dumb

Doing it together would be one of the worst moves in the entire football league

CMC's salary to the Eagles would be less than 1M, with no guaranteed money as of 2023. That's less than Boston Scott.

Like Ann Elk, I have a theory. It is mine. And this theory is that throughout an NFL season, there will always be one or two games where you're really at the top of your game. You bring your "A game", so to speak. It's a random thing, like the roll of a single die looking for a specific number. As a fan, you really have no idea when it will be. It just pops out of nowhere. Last year it was against the Broncos. Perhaps the most famous example was the 40-8 blowout against the 49ers in '94. Likewise, there are games where you just play like crap and there's nothing you can do about it. Last year, it was the Dallas and Raiders games. It just happens. You just hope you can weather the storm and maybe eke something out, although that's usually not the case

Yesterday was one of our crap games. And we survived. I'm still not sure we've played our "A game" yet. Maybe it was the Vikings game.

I actually felt kind of numb after the game yesterday. Happy of course, but far from pleased with the way we played. There are only two games in a given weekend where I'm watching every single play with intensity. That's the Notre Dame game on Saturday and the Eagles game on Sunday. Well, during the Notre Dame on Saturday night, the Irish had Brigham Young pinned back with a third and seventeen. BYU simply ran a draw play hoping to get some yardage to improve their field position for a punt. Instead, the seas parted and the back was able to get the necessary yardage for the first down. It was infuriating. So when the Eagles stopped the Cardinals on the first two plays of that third quarter drive and had them at third and seventeen, I had this nauseating feeling that the Cardinals were somehow going to make it too, just like Brigham Young had done the night before. I even looked around the room for something to throw (I wasn't really going to do it, but I contemplated the theory of it) in disgust after the play was going to be over. I just felt it. And the Cardinals run a screen pass, but Javon Hargrave sniffs the thing out, so in your mind you're immediately thinking, "Oh we've got this covered, great!" And then he somehow avoids the tackle and there are no Eagles defenders anywhere else to stop him as he scampers for about sixteen and a half yards before going out of bounds. And of course the officials give him the extra half yard and it's a first down. Yep, it was one of those days.

I haven't read this thread since the game started, but I'm sure the tone has been mostly negative but not altogether so. I'm wondering if anyone has discussed whether Gardner-Johnson should have been marked down after his interception. Yeah, he was touched as he went to the ground. But I think it was by Darius Slay, not a Cardinals player. So I think the return should have stood.

There was just so much yesterday that was frustrating. The Giants and Cowboys winning added to the mood. But we're 5-0 and it's not like our record could be any better than that after five weeks.

7 minutes ago, RLC said:

We don't have any good backs in pass protection. That's one of the reasons we get blitzed so much.

Not advocating for a trade, but if you watch the third down play at the end, Gainwell completely whiffs on pass protection with the free rushers.

4 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Paying Capitol for a RB in todays game, is dumb

Paying a running back that kind of money is dumb

Doing it together would be one of the worst moves in the entire football league

Why do you put a comma between a noun and a verb !!!!

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

We can disagree. Theyre playing good against bad teams. 

Rams arent the Rams, Tampa isnt Tampa and the Giants and Redskins are bleh at best

Meh.  Their D sure AF won the game yesday. That win was all on the defense.

They are good.  But not elite. 

--

But our D against their meager O at the Linc should be the capper.  IF we get home and IF we tackle better.   The soft scheme is death.  I understand why for the last game but NOT THIS WEEK.

--

And if we get Mailata back then I think we will be in a very good place.    

1 hour ago, NCiggles said:

I don't think changing the focus from just Columbus does anything to diminish the history.  The reality is that Europeans coming to the Americas was devastating for the native populations. We do not have to have an argument about moral relativity and the actions of Columbus.  We can simply acknowledge that there was a devastating impact on native populations part of which was directly caused by Columbus.  We ignore history when we make it a one-sided celebration or triumphic march of progress.  If we look at history as it impacted every person, we reach a better understanding of events and ultimately how we can think about shaping a moral and just society.  

The people that can't handle real history are the ones that seek to sugar coat it.  Call it what it was without trying to paint someone as a hero when he wasn't either in the context of his time or when he is put in historical perspective.  

People have been displacing other peoples, often with devastating impact on a regular basis, including displacement occurring in preColumian Americas.  

Have you read Guns, Germs and Steel?

If the Panthers called the Eagles and offered Burns straight up for the Saints pick, would you do it if you were Howie?

2 hours ago, NCiggles said:

I think Driscoll will struggle against Parsons and Lawrence in pass protection.  I think Opeta would be good enough inside.  I really think the team needs to focus on running on the Cowboys and taking deep shots.  I really don't want to see Steichen have the same short passing game plan they did against the Cardinals.  

The biggest issue is the midgame shuffling.  They have the coaching and diversity on offense to prepare for a week and survive going into a game with 3/5 of their starting OL.

What they can't survive...no one can...against a good defense, is shuffling 2-3 positions on the OL mid-game.  At this point, all 5 of their starting OL are a major risk to not finish a game.

5 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Like Ann Elk, I have a theory. It is mine. And this theory is that throughout an NFL season, there will always be one or two games where you're really at the top of your game. You bring your "A game", so to speak. It's a random thing, like the roll of a single die looking for a specific number. As a fan, you really have no idea when it will be. It just pops out of nowhere. Last year it was against the Broncos. Perhaps the most famous example was the 40-8 blowout against the 49ers in '94. Likewise, there are games where you just play like crap and there's nothing you can do about it. Last year, it was the Dallas and Raiders games. It just happens. You just hope you can weather the storm and maybe eke something out, although that's usually not the case

Yesterday was one of our crap games. And we survived. I'm still not sure we've played our "A game" yet. Maybe it was the Vikings game.

I actually felt kind of numb after the game yesterday. Happy of course, but far from pleased with the way we played. There are only two games in a given weekend where I'm watching every single play with intensity. That's the Notre Dame game on Saturday and the Eagles game on Sunday. Well, during the Notre Dame on Saturday night, the Irish had Brigham Young pinned back with a third and seventeen. BYU simply ran a draw play hoping to get some yardage to improve their field position for a punt. Instead, the seas parted and the back was able to get the necessary yardage for the first down. It was infuriating. So when the Eagles stopped the Cardinals on the first two plays of that third quarter drive and had them at third and seventeen, I had this nauseating feeling that the Cardinals were somehow going to make it too, just like Brigham Young had done the night before. I even looked around the room for something to throw (I wasn't really going to do it, but I contemplated the theory of it) in disgust after the play was going to be over. I just felt it. And the Cardinals run a screen pass, but Javon Hargrave sniffs the thing out, so in your mind you're immediately thinking, "Oh we've got this covered, great!" And then he somehow avoids the tackle and there are no Eagles defenders anywhere else to stop him as he scampers for about sixteen and a half yards before going out of bounds. And of course the officials give him the extra half yard and it's a first down. Yep, it was one of those days.

I haven't read this thread since the game started, but I'm sure the tone has been mostly negative but not altogether so. I'm wondering if anyone has discussed whether Gardner-Johnson should have been marked down after his interception. Yeah, he was touched as he went to the ground. But I think it was by Darius Slay, not a Cardinals player. So I think the return should have stood.

There was just so much yesterday that was frustrating. The Giants and Cowboys winning added to the mood. But we're 5-0 and it's not like our record could be any better than that after five weeks.

Looking around the room for something to throw with no intention of throwing it.  🤣

Just now, Texas Eagle said:

If the Panthers called the Eagles and offered Burns straight up for the Saints pick, would you do it if you were Howie?

If, and only if, we agree to an extension. Then I'd give up the Saints 1st without hesitation. Burns is 24 and would give us an insane pass-rusher trio. Acquiring Burns would mean that Hargrave is gone. I'm fine with that TBH.

4 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

Not for that Saints pick

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Columbus was a colossal failure.  He was attempting to find a passage to India through the west.  He failed... miserably in that quest.   Granted, other opportunities arose for the Spanish for bank rolling his voyage, but in terms of achieving the stated objective, it was an abject failure.  

Bad math.  Size of the Earth had been calculated for almost 1,500 years by then. 

Archived