EMB Blog: 2020 Regular Season

Connecticut Eagle

Bo Wulf brought up the idea in the BwF pod tonight that it might be worth it to trade Wentz if the Eagles do believe he's done, before his roster bonus kicks in, since it would be "only" 30m in dead money compared to 50m if cut.

Bo didn't say he was done, but I do agree with his take, which is essentially what else do you have to go on? If you explore Wentz's future going forward after this season, you can't just assume he will get back to an MVP level. There's nothing we've seen to suggest that is going to happen.

I didn't think there was any chance they'd trade him after the season, but Bo tried to argue that it might be possible if the Eagles do think his contract is going to be a disaster going forward, as is the player, and it's best to get out ASAP.

• Replies 62.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

Roseman is in the same boat that Doug is in. Trying to save face and his job. His last chip to play is Hurts. 

Nah.  If anything, Roseman is the force behind keeping Wentz in as the starter all season.  He iand Wentz are tied at the hips after that contract,   No way any GM would want the guy he just guaranteed 100+ million to benched. 

28 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Is he though? Reports seem to indicate otherwise. 

Benching Wentz is also a Lurie decision, I should add. 

This is more likely, imo. 

Wentz is so far down the list of what's going wrong with this team, it's a joke.

Offensive line dropping like flies left and right all year.  Howie's terrible drafting.  Howie's terrible contracts for players that don't contribute crap.  Terrible positional coaches (outside of Stoutland and Duce) that can't develop any of these players to save their lives.  Terrible positional coaches that shouldn't have been hired in the first place.  Doug's atrocious play calling.  Doug's atrocious offensive game planning. 

Howie has completely sunk this entire franchise.  He completely Ruben Amaro'd this team into the cellar.   Lurie sat back and let him do it. 

And somehow all that means we should get rid of one of the few actually talented players on this roster.  :lol:  Right.

3 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Someone needs to ask Doug if it was hard to tell the team the season was over when he went to Hurts.

What? They looked the best they've looked in 5 weeks with Hurts playing and NOW the season is over?

13 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

No idea how Carson missed Ward on that play...he was looking right at him and had all-day-long to throw.  Would have been an easy 1st down.

That said, what's up with Baldy's voice?  He sounds like he's on the back-end of a 3 day bender.  :lol:

Just now, hukdonfoniks said:

Wentz is so far down the list of what's going wrong with this team, it's a joke

They will all hopefully realize this next week if Wentz doesn't play. 

1 minute ago, macgregor said:

What? They looked the best they've looked in 5 weeks with Hurts playing and NOW the season is over?

Yep. And no they didn't. They got one garbage time prevent D TD. Then a punt return TD, which has zero to do with the QB. Then GB got serious again and shut us down. 

31 minutes ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

Can we stop with this theory? It's asinine. 

I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

And btw, severe concussions can take months, sometimes years to fully recover from, and they can get get worse the more you get them.  It's among the top reasons boxers retire, among other athletes.  Our very own Eric Lindros retired due to concussions. 

Meanwhile a QB that literally nobody on earth planned for this week get unexpectedly tossed into the game.  Makes a few plays on the defense. 

And now we can bail out on Wentz because Hurts caught a defense off guard and went 5 for 12, with a touchdown and pick.  :roll:

Just now, hukdonfoniks said:

Meanwhile a QB that literally nobody on earth planned for this week get unexpectedly tossed into the game.  Makes a few plays on the defense. 

And now we can bail out on Wentz because Hurts caught a defense off guard and went 5 for 12 on, with a touchdown and pick.  :roll:

Yep. That is pretty much the position of a lot on here. Sad isn't it?

Wentz is not down the list of things wrong with this team. All the other stuff is true. The talent isn’t there, the coaching isn’t great, etc, but it’s also true Wentz has been arguably the worst starting QB in the NFL this season. That’s a reality. He’s been awful and at least on the field, the biggest reason the Eagles have 3 wins right now. Not by a wide margin, but he’s been brutal.

The question is can he get back to 2017 level. I don’t think anyone knows the answer to that question. But He’s shown no indication of that this season.

4 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

And btw, severe concussions can take months, sometimes years to fully recover from, and they can get get worse the more you get them.  It's among the top reasons boxers retire, among other athletes.  Our very own Eric Lindros retired due to concussions. 

He was medically cleared basically a day after the hit and it was his first concussion. It's not lingering nearly a year after he suffered it. These guys suffer concussions all the time. I'm not undermining the long-term severity of the injury, but it's not the reason Wentz has struggled this year. 

54 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Not sure how legit that number is. 

All these numbers seem fake. Just like how Daniel Jones was faster than Tyreek Hill on his 80 yard run

8 minutes ago, macgregor said:

Doug said that playing Hurts would mean telling the team the season was over.

3 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Wentz is not down the list of things wrong with this team. All the other stuff is true. The talent isn’t there, the coaching isn’t great, etc, but it’s also true Wentz has been arguably the worst starting QB in the NFL this season. That’s a reality. He’s been awful and at least on the field, the biggest reason the Eagles have 3 wins right now. Not by a wide margin, but he’s been brutal.

The question is can he get back to 2017 level. I don’t think anyone knows the answer to that question. But He’s shown no indication of that this season.

I know Wentz is tight with God and all, but he's not the almighty.  He cannot carry this entire franchise on his back. 

Even though he did a hell of a job of it where we had to win out December to make the playoffs...and we did. 

57 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Not sure how legit that number is. 

False. The guy who posted that is a hack. He's not verified with any media outlet and is just a fan. His bio says "Jalen Reagor is WR1". 

hurts should start the rest of the season.  sucks that wentz will be on the bench knowing how much money he's making...  but he played himself into that position.  we have to see what we have in hurts.  hurts in gonna be green as hell and will make mistakes...  we could lose the next couple of games with hurts starting, but even if we lose, we better our draft position.  if wentz continues to start, we'll never know if hurts can be the guy going forward if the team decides to move on from wentz.  rather find out what we could have in hurts in a meaningless season, than to start hurts next season without seeing him, only to find out very quickly it's another wasted season.

4 minutes ago, hukdonfoniks said:

I know Wentz is tight with God and all, but he's not the almighty.  He cannot carry this entire franchise on his back. 

Even though he did a hell of a job of it where we had to win out December to make the playoffs...and we did. 

They barely squeaked by awful teams who were tanking. It wasn't some great accomplishment.

Special QBs perform well even under adverse conditions. It's not like the Eagles are totally devoid of talent. Ertz, Goedert, Sanders, are all solid players and he did well with Ward last year.

He's missing throws, he's not reading defenses, he's not poised in the pocket.

Just name me one thing Wentz is doing well right now.

He's got a GM that drafts like hell.  Coaches that can't coach anyone up.  A head coach who doesn't tailor the offense to his strengths.  A head coach that is horrible at play calling.  His offensive line has been decimated by injuries.  His skill position players have gotten wrecked with injuries too.  He's trying to gel with these depth chart guys on the fly, which is never easy (you can ask 2017 Foles all about that).  But they can't make any plays because their coach can't help them figure out what the F to do. 

And now he's being benched by his head coach who knows his ass is on the chopping block. 

But blame Wentz. 

Just now, Sack that QB said:

Getting up after every play.  lol  Funny early he was said to have an injury problem and now he is the only on the team getting up after every play 

1 minute ago, Sack that QB said:

They barely squeaked by awful teams who were tanking. It wasn't some great accomplishment.

Special QBs perform well even under adverse conditions. It's not like the Eagles are totally devoid of talent. Ertz, Goedert, Sanders, are all solid players and he did well with Ward last year.

He's missing throws, he's not reading defenses, he's not poised in the pocket.

Won 3 games.  Nearly snuck out two against the Steelers and Ravens. 

Usually that's a non-argument.  But with the dumpster fire going on around him, it's a wonder we've done anything remotely positive. 

1 minute ago, hukdonfoniks said:

Won 3 games.  Nearly snuck out two against the Steelers and Ravens. 

Usually that's a non-argument.  But with the dumpster fire going on around him, it's a wonder we've done anything remotely positive. 

You knock Hurts' performance against lax defenses with a lead, but you praise Wentz for doing the same thing in the same situations. The Steelers and Ravens were up big and it wasn't until they led big when Wentz had some nice drives. That was a long time ago now, though. He's progressively gotten worse as the season has gone on... as the team has gotten healthier too.

But you still didn't answer the question. Just name me one aspect of the game Wentz is doing well right now.

I dunno, maybe we're pissed off that Wentz can't overcome everything and do it all on his own. 

Just look at the guy that beat us tonight.  Rodgers went from looking like trash with McCarthy (to the point the Packers went and drafted Jordan Love to replace him), to looking like a borderline MVP candidate with a new coach and basically the same roster. 

Wentz needs help and isn't getting anything from anyone else. 

1 minute ago, Sack that QB said:

You knock Hurts' performance against lax defenses with a lead, but you praise Wentz for doing the same thing in the same situations. The Steelers and Ravens were up big and it wasn't until they led big when Wentz had some nice drives. That was a long time ago now, though. He's progressively gotten worse as the season has gone on... as the team has gotten healthier too.

But you still didn't answer the question. Just name me one aspect of the game Wentz is doing well right now.

I do knock Hurts' performance because nobody game planned for him :lol:   Teams have years worth of footage on Wentz, and the knowledge that he's the guy they have to prepare for.  That's night and day and not even debatable. 

The Ravens and Steelers are two of the top defenses in the league.  Especially at the time we were playing them. 

Wentz looks bad and is not getting much right out there.  My argument is that is a result of the complete carnage happening around him that's well out of his control.  When we have to anoint mediocre players like Travis Fulgham as a central playmaker on our offense, you don't think something's wrong there?

Again, Wentz needs help.  And he isn't getting any of it from anyone.  Not the players, not his coaches.  Yes he's playing poorly but who the F is out there helping him?

Archived