EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

13 hours ago, The guy in France said:

I can see an optimistic HC but the GM needs to right the ship and just be plain realistic. Pederson was an inmate running the asylum. To me if I put my Monday morning quarterback hat on the biggest mistakes were signing the Jacksons and the extensions of both Alshon and Carson. All those contributed to the cap situation and the backloads, a cascade of. Slay also seems like an overpay considering his age. Did I miss anybody ?

Banner’s vigilance of the cap was the other extreme for example IMO he should have veered off course and shown TO the money. Making good decisions most of the time is what separates the good from the mediocre. Howie needs to do a better job there SC, drafting, FA signings. In total just mediocre

I think they gambled and lost, with some bad luck, Jerrigan getting hurt, Malik getting hurt, Hicks and Darby couldn't stay healthy, Wallace getting hurt - when you sign/trade for durable players and they go down the minute they put on the green, can't really blame the GM

Jeffrey and DeSean were two bad mistakes, and I see Pederson's fingerprints on those moves "get me some weapons." Howie got the wrong weapons.

But they'll have plenty of room in 2023 to add FAs (there are only so many worth signing in any off season, even in 2016). They've committed to rebuilding, stockpiled draft picks and are giving young players a shot at winning jobs with a development oriented coaching staff. This day of reckoning would have come at some point, they weren't blowing it up in 2018, so it was either 2019 or 2020.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, so Sixers management didn't have the testicular fortitude to let Heinke fully follow through on his plan, so what happens?

With what was allowed to happen, we lean too much on too few players in a tale as old as all Philly sports. This is why I don't watch basketball.

These both should be permanent rules. It's really silly they aren't already. 

5 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

These both should be permanent rules. It's really silly they aren't already. 

A hit with fans too.   These were great moves. Should also allow players with longer time playing.  

3 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

A hit with fans too.   These were great moves. Should also allow players with longer time playing.  

Especially with an extra game in the season now 

1 added game may not seem like much but I'm sure the Players bodies feel it.

Just now, Bacarty2 said:

The idea behind the process was correct, even with Heinke and the others the execution was god awful. 

The 6ers have drafted like dog poop, and when they do draft well they trade the guy away (bridges)

Okafor, Fultz, Elfrid Peyton

I mean if the 6ers picked literally anyone over Fultz they'd be in a lot better place. Tatum, D Foz, Donovan Mitchell, Bam,. Just terrible

Me and jazz nation thank the sixers for drafting stupidity 😉

7 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

I wonder if this includes the PS call ups every week.  Roster flexibility is so important and these rules really help.

3 hours ago, ManuManu said:

He needs to step up especially if they decide to move on from Ertz before the contract ends

Was getting into a heated debate about Tebow with some buddies just now, they’re very adamant that Tebow is going to be a top 5 TE in NFL and think his ability to block will be a big part of that. I don’t know if he’ll be a good blocker, I’m skeptical but we’ll see. But they used Kittle, Kelce, and Ertz as examples to back it up saying they’ve been best TE in past several years and they’re all really good blocking TE. 

i had to laugh at the part they said Ertz is a good blocker and told them they must not watch many Eagles games 

2 hours ago, Bacarty2 said:

With out a doubt the Eagles are the worst "destination" for a new head coach over the last couple years. 

What?  Worse than the Jets?  Jaguars? Chicago?  Houston?  Detroit? Cincinnati?  Carolina?  Jeez.

16 minutes ago, Dwide Schrude said:

Was getting into a heated debate about Tebow with some buddies just now, they’re very adamant that Tebow is going to be a top 5 TE in NFL and think his ability to block will be a big part of that. I don’t know if he’ll be a good blocker, I’m skeptical but we’ll see. But they used Kittle, Kelce, and Ertz as examples to back it up saying they’ve been best TE in past several years and they’re all really good blocking TE. 

i had to laugh at the part they said Ertz is a good blocker and told them they must not watch many Eagles games 

At that point it is useless to even engage in any sort of football related conversation with them ever again. 

17 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

absoFinglutley. 

The only HC job worse than the Eagles is the Hoston Texans Job and that was after they hired someone with theDeshuan rape thing. 

Jets, Jags, Chicago, Cinncy, All have cap space, some talent, a lot of future picks. 

Jets had a monster draft last year, ton of cap space, 3 first rounders this year decent talent. 

Of those teams the Eagles had the worse talent, worse caps space and up questionable draft picks. Not to mention you gotta deal with Howie. 

Eagles don't have future picks?  I think you aren't right.  

10 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

At that point it is useless to even engage in any sort of football related conversation with them ever again. 

Definitely going to be hard to take them serious this point going forward. To be fair they said eventually, not right away. Still seems like a very out there thing to say. Maybe he gets to that 4th/5th spot because no way he’s better than Kelce/Kittle/Waller

6 minutes ago, Dwide Schrude said:

Definitely going to be hard to take them serious this point going forward. To be fair they said eventually, not right away. Still seems like a very out there thing to say. Maybe he gets to that 4th/5th spot because no way he’s better than Kelce/Kittle/Waller

Eventually when he's 36?

15 minutes ago, Dwide Schrude said:

The fact that you’re even slightly defending them makes me question your common sense a bit... 

11 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Eventually when he's 36?

That was my thought too. 

1 minute ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

The fact that you’re even slightly defending them makes me question your common sense a bit... 

To be fair I don’t have much of it

8 hours ago, RLC said:

For those of who you care.

I went a few years ago and it was a complete disaster. Poorly coordinated. The upper deck was closed...until it wasn't. And even then, when you'd get to a section where you could plop your butt down in a seat, the security people would just as likely tell you the section wasn't available...even though it was. An absolute disaster.

And it was free. No way in hell I'd pay money to experience that again.

4 hours ago, ManuManu said:

Listening to Avant’s podcast...

* Dillard was too weak and timid. A bad combination. Loves his feet. 

* Talked about the same stuff Maddox did. His eye discipline is bad and it makes him susceptible to biting on fakes. He made a joke that he could give him a shoulder fake and he’d jump off the screen. 

That was Mills in a nutshell, and Mills had zero football intelligence.

Maddox’s problem is he doesn’t compete.  He backs off and backs off and lets WRs abuse him.  He was a Combine warrior more than a talented football player 

2 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

I've seen WRs run block better than Ertz, he's useless as a blocker.

Without Celek in 2017 they don't win as Celek was an Intregal part of the run game.

While Ertz was lined up as a big slot.

9 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

When Siriani was hired they had 1 1st rounder, terrible cap trouble and ZERO talent. 

But sorry to bring facts into this. 

At the time, the Eagles had the worst situation. 

Even sitting right now, give me anyone but the Texans. 

Actually, for a young coach, that's a great situation.

Because when expectations are low, it buys time to acclimate to a HC position without the pressure to win now.

He can focus on player development and installing and teaching his schemes and not worry about being an instant success.

The Falcons are a much worse situation, veteran QB with big cap hit who creates pressure to win now.

7 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Actually, for a young coach, that's a great situation.

Because when expectations are low, it buys time to acclimate to a HC position without the pressure to win now.

He can focus on player development and installing and teaching his schemes and not worry about being an instant success.

The Falcons are a much worse situation, veteran QB with big cap hit who creates pressure to win now.

The Jets is a bad job, so is the Lions, Texans, Bengals, Jaguars, and Cardinals.  I’d rank all of them as less desirable than the Eagles coaching job.

Archived