EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

43 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Agreed.  Assuming Dillard is not worse than Mailata, you'd want him as the starter.

1. We should extend Mailata this year.  It would be less expensive if he was the backup at the time.
  2. Mailata is better suited to be the swing tackle / #6 OL.
  3. Gives you another year to fully evaluate Dillard before he is up for an extension.

Note that none of this has to do with Howie trying to save face.  It is a better economic scenario.

When Dickerson gets healthy, Seumalo moves to #6 OL. Mailata is a swing T period.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Thoughts?  Anyone?  Bueller?

I think Dillard pulls off the win and Mailata is the swing 

1 hour ago, NCiggles said:

Whose eyeballs? 

Howie’s, duh...

Dillard needs to play more nasty, combined with his supposed new strength. 

I think Dillard will have they leg up on grasping a new playbook, as he’s played football a lot longer. But I think, at least from what we’ve seen, Mailata has a leg up physically playing the position. 

7 minutes ago, blindside said:

I think Dillard will have they leg up on grasping a new playbook, as he’s played football a lot longer. But I think, at least from what we’ve seen, Mailata has a leg up physically playing the position. 

Make a choice!

The fact that Dillard is fighting for a position against Mailata makes me want to vomit.  College stud 1st rd pick in 3rd year vs 4th year project 7th rd pick. I don't know if that is a massive knock on Dillard or huge props for Mailata. I think a mix of both which ultimately makes me think Dillard is a terd.

44 minutes ago, blindside said:

Well, Lane literally has a leg down.  So they both should play.

2 hours ago, ManuManu said:

Some might say that he's in the best shape of his life. 

Yep, it's June. 

I don't want to burn a first round pick next year on an OT.  

This isn't about choosing a horse in the Dillard/Mailata race.  It's about rooting for both of them.

If Dillard does not win the LT job, his upside becomes Winston Justice...an outstanding athlete with LT specs, but a rough start to his career, deficits in strength...best opportunity to be a long term asset is a pure blind side pass protector, but because the team never trusted him in that role, played out of position as a RT and was simply OK as a starter for 2 years until they looked to upgrade.

That's best case scenario for Dillard if he does not find a home at LT.  Mailata might have the ability to be an all-pro RT.  And while Mailata is far from a finished product, if last year is any indication, there's a chance he is going to be a leaky pass protector against pure speed rushers.

5 hours ago, ManuManu said:

People seem to combine early Celek with later Celek. When he was a pretty good receiver, he wasn’t a good blocker. When he was a good blocker, he no longer was a pretty good receiver. 

Brent Celek is the kind of guy that every football team needs.  5th round pick, 10 year career... complete team guy.  Glue guy.   

Ertz is a much more talented player than Brent ever was, which is why he was a high 2nd round pick, and Brent lasted until midway through Day 3.  But, those types of players are vital to any good team, especially getting contributions from late round picks, and contributions over a long period.   There have been few picks that have worked out as well as he did on Day 3.  Ironically, some of the best Day 3 picks have all been Bearcats - Celek, Trent Cole and, of course, Jason Kelce.

7 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I don't want to burn a first round pick next year on an OT.  

This isn't about choosing a horse in the Dillard/Mailata race.  It's about rooting for both of them.

If Dillard does not win the LT job, his upside becomes Winston Justice...an outstanding athlete with LT specs, but a rough start to his career, deficits in strength...best opportunity to be a long term asset is a pure blind side pass protector, but because the team never trusted him in that role, played out of position as a RT and was simply OK as a starter for 2 years until they looked to upgrade.

That's best case scenario for Dillard if he does not find a home at LT.  Mailata might have the ability to be an all-pro RT.  And while Mailata is far from a finished product, if last year is any indication, there's a chance he is going to be a leaky pass protector against pure speed rushers.

Lane Johnson retiring next year? 

Dillard has to improve significantly this season.  Confidence is the thing.  He has to build on what he has and feels now.  With continuing successes, he could make a claim for the LT position.  That frees up Mailata to switch to RT.  We shall have 2 young OTs as bookend. 

5 hours ago, ManuManu said:

People seem to combine early Celek with later Celek. When he was a pretty good receiver, he wasn’t a good blocker. When he was a good blocker, he no longer was a pretty good receiver. 

Good point.  I think many people forget this.  He didn't come into the NFL as a blocker.  I'm pretty sure that was considered a weakness.  While he was no Tony Gonzalez, like you said, he was a pretty good receiving TE.  He actually put up some pretty hefty stats.  

If Dallas Goedert has Brent Celek's career, we'll all be pretty lucky.

2 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Lane Johnson retiring next year? 

Where was he last year?

12 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Good point.  I think many people forget this.  He didn't come into the NFL as a blocker.  I'm pretty sure that was considered a weakness.  While he was no Tony Gonzalez, like you said, he was a pretty good receiving TE.  He actually put up some pretty hefty stats.  

If Dallas Goedert has Brent Celek's career, we'll all be pretty lucky.

Where was he last year?

Injured.  Unless he's retiring he will still be on this roster for a long time with how Howie keeps restructuring his contract. 

2 hours ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Thoughts?  Anyone?  Bueller?

Mailata wins by a landslide and dillard is relegated to learning RT to be the swing tackle/replacement for lane. 

Dream scenario is it's a close battle that mailata wins and a desperate team asks for dillard and we get a first round pick in a trade. Eagles would never do it but I would in a heartbeat. 

12 minutes ago, Penn7980 said:

Smith is signed.  Terms no reported yet.

Thought I saw 4 years 20.1 mil guaranteed with a 5th year option 

13 minutes ago, Penn7980 said:

Correct. Not correct.

8 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Injured.  Unless he's retiring he will still be on this roster for a long time with how Howie keeps restructuring his contract. 

Our backup RT will be playing more snaps at RT than Lane over the next 2 years, so IMO, they are a big part of the plan.

50 minutes ago, What The F said:

6:1 Dillard found teh sauce....

B1WWMAfTfHS._CLa%7C2140,2000%7C71H5aXERz

4 hours ago, Bacarty2 said:

You didnt take my bet either. 

Eagles are BAD. Bad with no cap room. Bad with a couple bad drafts. This is realistic. 

Jets and jags have both had GOOD drafts. with better management and more cap space. 

I'll be back to laugh at you when Siriani and Hurts are both out here in a couple years

I only bet with 4for4.   One of my quirks.  

38 minutes ago, Penn7980 said:

26 minutes ago, devpool said:

Thought I saw 4 years 20.1 mil guaranteed with a 5th year option 

Correct.  The terms are dictated by the rookie wage scale.  We have known the terms since the second he was drafted.

Archived