EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

5 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

Maxey is going to be a real player. Glad doc is finally leaning on him

Yea, I really like his game.  I'm really happy they didn't use him as an add in for a big trade piece.  Build your team with your guys.

Has Lopez missed that hideous hook once this series?

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've said it before but man the Sixers broadcast team is the best in the business.  Nothing beats a rocking WFC and Marc Zumoff telling the story and Abdelnaby talking some trash.

25 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Yea, I really like his game.  I'm really happy they didn't use him as an add in for a big trade piece.  Build your team with your guys.

Has Lopez missed that hideous hook once this series?

Maybe he can teach that awful hook to Ben...

Still no post June 1st moves. Maybe Howie is waiting for Juneteenth to make some woke moves. 

5 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Still no post June 1st moves. Maybe Howie is waiting for Juneteenth to make some woke moves. 

AE3653B3-1773-412E-A956-E51DC574F9F9.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bacarty2 said:

When Siriani was hired they had 1 1st rounder, terrible cap trouble and ZERO talent. 

But sorry to bring facts into this. 

At the time, the Eagles had the worst situation. 

Even sitting right now, give me anyone but the Texans. 

Facts?  Please.  It is opinion.  You have yours I have mine.

2 hours ago, Utebird said:

I've seen WRs run block better than Ertz, he's useless as a blocker.

Without Celek in 2017 they don't win as Celek was an Intregal part of the run game.

While Ertz was lined up as a big slot.

If they don’t win without Celek they certainly don’t win without Ertz.  He caught the 2 biggest balls of the season. Then broke a record for TE’s in a season, the amount of crap the guy catches on here is incredible. 

1 hour ago, Casey @ Bat said:

If they don’t win without Celek they certainly don’t win without Ertz.  He caught the 2 biggest balls of the season. Then broke a record for TE’s in a season, the amount of crap the guy catches on here is incredible. 

Yup. The best tight end the Eagles have had since I've been a fan. (Pete Retzlaff was before my time so I can't make a judgment there.) And yet some fans pine for a guy like Brent Celek, who was certainly a solid player but nowhere close to the level of an Ertz.

And I don't want to hear any Keith Jackson nonsense either. We're talking about what the player did, not what he might have been capable of if he'd actually played to his ability.

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

"We're fine there."

I mean, this is a deliberate rebuild. No one has any illusions of winning a ring this year and all else being equal the worse we are the better because of draft capital.

3 hours ago, Casey @ Bat said:

No one is saying he isn't a good receiver and he wasnt an intregal part of the offense and the super bowl, the topic was about his Blocking which is and always has been horrendous.

As for him not getting crap why shouldn't he?

Dude didn't get a new contract so he mailed it in like a punk.👎

2 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Yup. The best tight end the Eagles have had since I've been a fan. (Pete Retzlaff was before my time so I can't make a judgment there.) And yet some fans pine for a guy like Brent Celek, who was certainly a solid player but nowhere close to the level of an Ertz.

And I don't want to hear any Keith Jackson nonsense either. We're talking about what the player did, not what he might have been capable of if he'd actually played to his ability.

Keith Jacksons problem wasn't that he didn't play to his ability, he was a 2 time all pro and 3 time pro bowler and rookie of the year in 4 seasons, it's not that he didn't play up to his ability it's that he didn't play long enough with the eagles.

Keith Jackson was better than Ertz, he was just dynamic as a receiver and was a far better blocker.

As for Celek why wouldn't fans pine for a TE like him???

He was a tough hard nosed never miss games TE who was a great blocker and in his prime a pretty good receiver not too mention unlike Ertz he could actually break a tackle 

Ertz isn't really a TE, he's a big slot WR that is occasionally asked to throw a chip block.

Now he was an elite slot WR for a few seasons but as a TE not so much.

12 hours ago, downundermike said:

Same with Hunter Henry ( 12.5 m average ), best season 60 for 613, 4 TD's, and Austin Hooper ( 10.5 m average ), 75 for 787, 6 TD's.

Goedert's best season, 58, 607, 5 TD's while in a time share with Ertz for snaps.  He is getting more than 10 million per.

Wow !!! Seems like an over valuation of the position, a bigger receiver that isn’t quite as nifty as a WR but can block some. Time to treat them like the RB position where unless they are not elite you let them walk. Optimally this should be determined in the first 3 years for a drafted player. Look under all the rocks, well built physical hoops guys that won’t make it in the bigs, athletic lightweight OL, failed larger WR castoffs, 2nd round earliest to pick a guy who probably will walk. Waller, claimed off a practice squad a real weapon

12 hours ago, austinfan said:

I think they gambled and lost, with some bad luck, Jerrigan getting hurt, Malik getting hurt, Hicks and Darby couldn't stay healthy, Wallace getting hurt - when you sign/trade for durable players and they go down the minute they put on the green, can't really blame the GM

Jeffrey and DeSean were two bad mistakes, and I see Pederson's fingerprints on those moves "get me some weapons." Howie got the wrong weapons.

But they'll have plenty of room in 2023 to add FAs (there are only so many worth signing in any off season, even in 2016). They've committed to rebuilding, stockpiled draft picks and are giving young players a shot at winning jobs with a development oriented coaching staff. This day of reckoning would have come at some point, they weren't blowing it up in 2018, so it was either 2019 or 2020.

The draft was not Howie’s friend, yes unlucky with Malik and Wallace and Wentz. Wentz was a significant investment in both salary and draft capital. Although splash moves make me uneasy the drafting of Wentz was worthwhile because the 2017 version was suppose to be how his career turned out. I do question the extension however, obvious that he wasn’t near 2017 level so questions should’ve been asked. They extended him rather early considering the question was still out there which CW you were getting, before the start of his 4th season. Seems rushing into make a huge investment when you are not sure what you are getting. If we just let it all play out on his rookie contract we would be collecting a 3rd round comp pick next season, saved $29.5 mil and still have LII. Giving CW that extension should’ve been far from automatic

Imagine if they had hired Reich as HC instead of DP, just imagine

While Brent Celek certainly wasn't the matchup nightmare that Zach Ertz is/was, Celek was one hell of a traditional tight end and if I'm building a team while also considering player cost, I'm taking Celek almost every time.

Celek was never the volume receiving tight end that Ertz was.  There was a stretch where Ertz was the only player getting the ball and that shows.  What I find interesting is that Celek had nearly 160 less catches than Ertz yet only trails him by 5 TD.  He also averaged nearly 2 yards more per reception which is no surprise as Celek fought for every yard he could get while Ertz struggled with YAC.

Receiving
Rk Player From To AV G Rec Yds TD Y/R Lng
1 Brent Celek 2007 2017 40 175 398 4998 31 12.6 73
2 Zach Ertz 2013 2020 48 117 561 6078 36 10.8 60

I'm not saying Celek is on Ertz's level.  He's not.  But big picture, when building a team, Celek is my guy.  The ultimate team player who produced when called upon.  He was more than capable of making the big play too.

Side note, what absolute dimes by Vick.

20 hours ago, BigEFly said:

We have practically no HOAs in town but constantly saw residents from newer subdivisions come into borough council meetings asking for ordinances that looked like rules from HOAs.  Most were terrified when I would point out that their subdivisions were zoned residential/agricultural.  I would point out that means their neighbors were welcome to raises chickens, including with a rooster, cows (we did have a pig ordinance like most boroughs), horses and sheep.  Many of those subdivisions border the township and we would try to tell them the borough had no control over what the township zoned those properties or what they allowed. We had people come in an complain about recreational vehicles parked in driveways, long haul trucks parked on the street and business vehicles parked at properties (yep, their neighbor’s work trucks).  We’d point out that our ordinances apply throughout the zoning classification in the borough and not just to their immediate neighbors.  Funny thing is, most of the newer subdivisions have the right to create HOAs.  We would point that out and the people would counter it took the majority of neighbors to do anything.  It was easier in their minds that we pass laws.  

Like it's a big deal that people park work trucks and rvs in their driveways. HOAs are full of snobs.

19 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Jordan Howard is not a good short yardage power back. Not sure where this idea comes from that he's going to plow through people for tough yards. Dolphins tried that with him, his YPC was 0.6 when he had 1-3 yards to go.

There is really nothing in here that shows me he can be that guy.

I think you picked the wrong video. There were quite a few short first down and scoring runs

14 hours ago, matchew88 said:

Wow, so Sixers management didn't have the testicular fortitude to let Heinke fully follow through on his plan, so what happens?

With what was allowed to happen, we lean too much on too few players in a tale as old as all Philly sports. This is why I don't watch basketball.

every team has a "few star players"

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

He doesn’t want to be here.  How hard is that for you to understand.  We tried to trade for him and he would rather not play then come to Philly.  What’s that say about the woke-joke franchise that Lurie has turned it into?  

Let a boy dream 

Looks like we will have about 17M in cap space after an ertz move. 

Hmm....Not bad.

Would have thought we were negative 11 bajillion from reading on here. 

43 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Looks like we will have about 17M in cap space after an ertz move. 

Hmm....Not bad.

Would have thought we were negative 11 bajillion from reading on here. 

We have $5.6M now. Ertz’s cap number is $12.7M. When traded or cut, $4.2M in dead cap in 2021 and another $3.5M in 2022. So we’ll have $14M in 2021 cap space according to Spotrac. Of course $10.5M is to sign our rookie class too, which we haven’t done yet. 

So yeah, Howie opened up some space to sign our rookie class, while also tacking more money onto our 2022 cap figure. Great stuff. 

17 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Meanwhile we have the highlighted already eating into our 2022 cap space...

9B7092A8-2A90-4344-9CBC-5BEB64DB3D5D.jpeg

A9118BAC-5937-4742-BF6C-B6E7C2AC40AF.jpeg

I think every team has dead cap though right? I mean it's just inevitable and as long as they keep kicking the can down the road then it rarely bites them too hard. I mean don't get me wrong I don't think it's a great approach but it works.

26 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think every team has dead cap though right? I mean it's just inevitable and as long as they keep kicking the can down the road then it rarely bites them too hard. I mean don't get me wrong I don't think it's a great approach but it works.

Sure, every team has some dead cap, but that’s a ton for a year in advance. That’s really bad. 

2 hours ago, greend said:

every team has a "few star players"

In the NBA, if you have 3 star players you’re a dynasty in the making.

Archived