EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

16 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Next contract he will be making over $20.1M per year. 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Looking at last year alone, 22 QBs, including Nick Mullens and Gardner Minshew were able to eclipse 235 yards per game. I don't think setting the bar at that level is particularly high. Even if Hurts gets to that number, it won't tell the entire story. But, if he doesn't even reach that number and plays a full 17 games, don't you think that's a massive issue? 

If he can not pass for at least 235 yards per game, that is a draft failure on multiple fronts. 

First off, you drafted a QB who can not pass in a passing league.

Secondly, you spent back to back first round picks on WR's when you have a QB who can not pass in a passing league.

29 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

My expectations for Hurts in 2021 over 17 games:

3,900+ passing yards

28 TD passes

13 interceptions

700+ rushing yards

6 rushing TDs

If he doesn't hit those numbers, you have to change your username to Remember the Wentz.  

1 hour ago, TorontoEagle said:

Let's break this out. 

4000 yards / 16 games = 250 yards/game

4000 / 17 = 235 yards per game

Honestly, if your starting QB doesn't get to 4000 AND plays all 17 games, you have big time problems, IMO.

If you take the average of the 3 full starts he had, he would definitely break 4K. 

I’m interested to see his rushing numbers. I’m hoping we don’t have many QB designed runs. 

If he puts up big numbers, but it's garbage time stats (i.e. big second half numbers throwing against prevent defenses down 20+ points), who cares?

So I'm not really focused on numbers, but what the eyeballs show.

If the offensive line stays healthy, he should have good protection, so even a mediocre QB could have big numbers.

More important are the little things, accuracy and touch on those underneath throws (he showed that on down field throws last year) to allow receivers to gain YAC.

Recognizing blitzes (and fake blitzes), being able to call the right audible, not forcing throws into coverage, and so on.

Patience in the pocket, moving around in the pocket to buy time, taking off but keeping his eyes downfield before tucking the ball and running.

Some of this will be reflected in stats, others can be distorted by noise (interceptions can be bad passes or bad WRs deflecting balls they should catch, or luck with DBs dropping balls).

If he "looks" like a NFL QB this season, Sirianni will have time to mold him into a NFL QB, if in December he has the "deer in headlights" look, time to move on.

18 minutes ago, WentzFan11 said:

If you take the average of the 3 full starts he had, he would definitely break 4K. 

I’m interested to see his rushing numbers. I’m hoping we don’t have many QB designed runs. 

They should definitely have a new QB run every week.  If they don't plan to run him, they're not showing competency as an offensive coaching scheme. 

10 minutes ago, austinfan said:

If he puts up big numbers, but it's garbage time stats (i.e. big second half numbers throwing against prevent defenses down 20+ points), who cares?

So I'm not really focused on numbers, but what the eyeballs show.

If the offensive line stays healthy, he should have good protection, so even a mediocre QB could have big numbers.

More important are the little things, accuracy and touch on those underneath throws (he showed that on down field throws last year) to allow receivers to gain YAC.

Recognizing blitzes (and fake blitzes), being able to call the right audible, not forcing throws into coverage, and so on.

Patience in the pocket, moving around in the pocket to buy time, taking off but keeping his eyes downfield before tucking the ball and running.

Some of this will be reflected in stats, others can be distorted by noise (interceptions can be bad passes or bad WRs deflecting balls they should catch, or luck with DBs dropping balls).

If he "looks" like a NFL QB this season, Sirianni will have time to mold him into a NFL QB, if in December he has the "deer in headlights" look, time to move on.

Whose eyeballs? 

5 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

They should definitely have a new QB run every week.  If they don't plan to run him, they're not showing competency as an offensive coaching scheme. 

Whose eyeballs? 

That’s fine. I just want to see more Russell Wilson than Lamar Jackson. 

2 minutes ago, WentzFan11 said:

I agree but Russell Wilson had more designed runs as a rookie and 2nd year QB and that helped him.  

11 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Whose eyeballs? 

Mine of course. You don't think I'd trust you clowns.  😝

You can watch a QB and get a feel that he's in control or just faking it, it's less about stats than making good decisions and good throws.

People oh and aw about a 30 yard laser, but from the point of effectiveness, a ten yard toss timed perfectly on a screen where the RB can catch in stride is probably just as valuable of a skill. Or throwing a touch pass on a wheel route that the back can run under, or hitting a WR coming out of his break and so on.

To me, arm strength is grossly overrated, vision grossly underrated, understanding what you're seeing and being able to react to it in real time is the most important QB skill.

1 hour ago, Bacarty2 said:

LOL steelers talk is creepy and weird. 

If you cant see the Jets/Jags/Cinncy is trending up and the Eagles are Trending down I cant help you. 

I don't see it and I wouldn't want your help anyway.

Until those three teams prove that they have the right quarterback AND the ability to build around him, they aren't trending anywhere.

9 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

I don't see it and I wouldn't want your help anyway.

Until those three teams prove that they have the right quarterback AND the ability to build around him, they aren't trending anywhere.

Exactly.  Teams need to show they're trending upwards first.  

It's easy to say the Jets had a great draft this year when those guys havent played a down yet.  Saleh could be a terrible HC and Wilson a terrible QB.  I can see Zac Taylor being the 1st coach to be fired this year.  Urban Meyer might be Chip Kelly 2.0.  

Let these teams prove themselves first.  Until then they are still bad teams just like us.

Dennard to the Cardinals. Should start the roll on free agent corners 

4 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

Dennard to the Cardinals. Should start the roll on free agent corners 

That leaves, Brian Poole ( 7 ), Steven Nelson ( 12 ), Richard Sherman ( 19 ) ( do not want ), Jason McCourty ( 34 ), Dre Kirkpatrick ( 36 ), Gareon Conley ( 37 ), Baushad Breeland ( 38 ) and Artie Burns ( 39 ).  Numbers in parentheses are FA corner rankings from Walter Football.

Thoughts?  Anyone?  Bueller?

Just now, Connecticut Eagle said:

I think this is what most of want to see, a competition between them (which in theory, should make both better). Let the best man win the job, but from a roster building outlook, we as fans should hope that Dillard takes it. 

1 minute ago, TorontoEagle said:

I think this is what most of want to see, a competition between them (which in theory, should make both better). Let the best man win the job, but from a roster building outlook, we as fans should hope that Dillard takes it. 

Agreed.  Assuming Dillard is not worse than Mailata, you'd want him as the starter.

1. We should extend Mailata this year.  It would be less expensive if he was the backup at the time.
  2. Mailata is better suited to be the swing tackle / #6 OL.
  3. Gives you another year to fully evaluate Dillard before he is up for an extension.

Note that none of this has to do with Howie trying to save face.  It is a better economic scenario.

35 minutes ago, downundermike said:

That leaves, Brian Poole ( 7 ), Steven Nelson ( 12 ), Richard Sherman ( 19 ) ( do not want ), Jason McCourty ( 34 ), Dre Kirkpatrick ( 36 ), Gareon Conley ( 37 ), Baushad Breeland ( 38 ) and Artie Burns ( 39 ).  Numbers in parentheses are FA corner rankings from Walter Football.

I would be happy with Poole or Nelson.

12 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

this isnt the question at hand. 

It's which would you rather prefer going into a HC gig. 

Job 1) No cap space. A GM who looks like he's losing his mind. terrible draft picks currently on the roster and a guy who was slated to be a good back up 12 months ago is being forced to be a franchise QB. 

OR

Job 2) Ton of cap room. Ton of power. Good rookies on contract. the QB of your choosing. 

The only way you still think it's the Eagles your a homer/hoagie mouth

I think I'd rather be a Hoagie Mouth than a filthy Yinzer pretending to be an Eagles fan

1 hour ago, WentzFan11 said:

I think hurts has a better arm than some in here but Wilson has a cannon.  That is why his running skills and accurate cannon makes him a good match with Metcalf and Lockette.  

1 hour ago, austinfan said:

Mine of course. You don't think I'd trust you clowns.  😝

You can watch a QB and get a feel that he's in control or just faking it, it's less about stats than making good decisions and good throws.

People oh and aw about a 30 yard laser, but from the point of effectiveness, a ten yard toss timed perfectly on a screen where the RB can catch in stride is probably just as valuable of a skill. Or throwing a touch pass on a wheel route that the back can run under, or hitting a WR coming out of his break and so on.

To me, arm strength is grossly overrated, vision grossly underrated, understanding what you're seeing and being able to react to it in real time is the most important QB skill.

That thirty yard laser is worth way less than the other passes especially when the laser isn’t entirely accurate (either high or outside or both). I liked that I saw Hurts lead receivers a few times last year, but it didn’t see god timing throws from him in college or last year and I worry about him hitting receivers short over the middle.

One thing I hope to see from Sirianni is more tiered routes.  We saw way too many of horizontal spreads from Doug over the last couple of years.  

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

Strength. That is what Dillard needed to work on along with his punch and anchor. 

48 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

It is a competition. Good for both of them. 

Archived