EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

41 minutes ago, greend said:

33 td and 7 ints is over rated in your book? 

Overrated isn't the term I would use, but I think people are overrating what his impact would be on his own.  He and Dak have both thrown the ball all over the yard the past few seasons and haven't won anything.  The Texans are a crapshow, but their on-field weapons have been a lot better than what Watson would have to work with here.  They only scored 30+ points 5 times last season (including the last two games), so it's not like they were losing 45-42 every week.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Legal issues aside, the assets and cap space it would take to obtain Watson will result in this team being in the same **** situation that the Texans are in. 

This FO has struck out on drafting top end defensive players since it hit on Cox and Graham.  They are the only threads holding this defense together to be potentially average and once they hit their inevitable fall off a cliff decline this defense will be downright putrid no matter the quality of a DC that Gannon is. Fans need to be rooting for Hurts to take a step forward and be the QB so they can use the benefits his rookie contract and those 3 first round picks next year to invest on the defensive side of the ball.   Even if Hurts isn't the guy then it's far wiser for this team to use those picks to position themselves to draft a top QB next year.  At least then they will have more cap flexibility to address the defense through FA. 

Watson will accomplish nothing but give us a good QB being wasted on a bad team with a soon to be putrid defense. 

3 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Overrated isn't the term I would use, but I think people are overrating what his impact would be on his own.  He and Dak have both thrown the ball all over the yard the past few seasons and haven't won anything.  The Texans are a crapshow, but their on-field weapons have been a lot better than what Watson would have to work with here.  They only scored 30+ points 5 times last season (including the last two games), so it's not like they were losing 45-42 every week.

I would take him 10 times out of 10 over Hurts

42 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Watson screams Matty Ryan to be. 

Hollow stats, in garbage time.  Also, I like him, I dont love him. I always bet against him come playoff times. I dont think he's elite and I dont want to send 3 draft picks for him, but I do like him. 

I have no idea where this compares to the rest of the league but 23 of his 33 touchdowns came in the 2nd half or later. and on a bad team that SCREAMs garbage time 

Agree here.  I'd send a 1st and a 3rd but that's it.  I think he's very good but not elite.  If you trade 3 1st round picks for Watson, you better win a Super Bowl within 2-3 years.  I know Tom Brady is next level elite, even at his age but look how he transformed TB.  I don't think Watson does that here.  

31 minutes ago, greend said:

I would take him 10 times out of 10 over Hurts

On ability for sure.  I'm skeptical Hurts can be better than a lower-tier starter/high end backup in the NFL but I'll watch this season and hope he exceeds my expectations.  I just hate the thought of paying out $35-40M against the cap every year for a guy who carries the baggage Watson does.  He wouldn't be a guy I'd want leading the team or being the face of the franchise -- I felt that way even before knowing his legal issues.

Tom Brady apparently played the entire past season with a torn MCL that he suffered while still with the Patriots.  And according  to reports it got progressively worse throughout the season.  

12 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Agree here.  I'd send a 1st and a 3rd but that's it.  I think he's very good but not elite.  If you trade 3 1st round picks for Watson, you better win a Super Bowl within 2-3 years.  I know Tom Brady is next level elite, even at his age but look how he transformed TB.  I don't think Watson does that here.  

He was the final piece in a pretty strong puzzle already.  Dominant pass rush, excellent MLB, already had Evans, Godwin in place at WR.  Brady was somewhat pedestrian through the NFC playoffs (60/109 55% passing) -- but they were a roster ready to contend that was being held back by really bad QB play.  

To your point, he improved the culture there, no doubt.  The Eagles roster needs a lot of building before they're one player away.

29 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

He was the final piece in a pretty strong puzzle already.  Dominant pass rush, excellent MLB, already had Evans, Godwin in place at WR.  Brady was somewhat pedestrian through the NFC playoffs (60/109 55% passing) -- but they were a roster ready to contend that was being held back by really bad QB play.  

To your point, he improved the culture there, no doubt.  The Eagles roster needs a lot of building before they're one player away.

Yea, TB had some very good pieces in play and even though I'm not a big Bruce Arians fan, he's the right coach for that team.  

There's no question TB improved the culture and I don't think Watson does that here.  He's going to have to come in and do damage repair from day 1...in Philly.  I just don't see it as a good fit.

We can argue Hurts ability and his potential until we are blue in the face but the one thing we can all agree on is that the guy is a relentless worker and is a natural leader.  I think guys want to play with and for him.  He's a leader of men even as a 2nd year player.  I think the off-season workout videos are silly but the video of him deadlifting 620 lbs was impressive not only from the weight standpoint but the fact that Hurts was there at Lane's gym, working with the lineman.  I'm a Carson Wentz fan but I have a hard time thinking he would have ever done that. 

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

OMG.  There is an easy one and it might be Top 10.  Shame on you for even forgetting it.......you ready?

A comprehensive timeline of Ezekiel Elliott's domestic violence case -  SBNation.com

A guy at my gym looks JUST LIKE HIM.  

43 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Tom Brady apparently played the entire past season with a torn MCL that he suffered while still with the Patriots.  And according  to reports it got progressively worse through the season.  

Now he is healthy and knows the offense 

I find Zeke more comical than anything, and I think it's great that he'll be a $16.5M cap hit in 2022 when he might be just about used up already.  Barkley has been harder on the Eagles defense in his short time

2 hours ago, Bacarty2 said:

Watson screams Matty Ryan to be. 

Hollow stats, in garbage time.  Also, I like him, I dont love him. I always bet against him come playoff times. I dont think he's elite and I dont want to send 3 draft picks for him, but I do like him. 

I have no idea where this compares to the rest of the league but 23 of his 33 touchdowns came in the 2nd half or later. and on a bad team that SCREAMs garbage time 

Just glancing at the last 3 games, the last TD he threw in all of those games in the 4th quarter tied the game or took the lead.

18 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Yea, TB had some very good pieces in play and even though I'm not a big Bruce Arians fan, he's the right coach for that team.  

There's no question TB improved the culture and I don't think Watson does that here.  He's going to have to come in and do damage repair from day 1...in Philly.  I just don't see it as a good fit.

We can argue Hurts ability and his potential until we are blue in the face but the one thing we can all agree on is that the guy is a relentless worker and is a natural leader.  I think guys want to play with and for him.  He's a leader of men even as a 2nd year player.  I think the off-season workout videos are silly but the video of him deadlifting 620 lbs was impressive not only from the weight standpoint but the fact that Hurts was there at Lane's gym, working with the lineman.  I'm a Carson Wentz fan but I have a hard time thinking he would have ever done that. 

TB's approach was right, having the roster in good shape and when you plug in a quality QB, you win it all.  Getting a questionable QB for our team now will not create the desired results.  Lurie should do the right things to let this season plays out and see where the young players and coaches are, before making any big moves.

46 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I'm on a shotty Zoom call. let me do some digging

Here is all of his second half TD's last year, and the game score after the TD.  Hard to say they are garbage time stats.

Week 1 13-31
Week 1 20-31
Week 4 13-17
Week 4 23-31
Week 5 20-7
Week 5 30-14
Week 6 23-21
Week 6 30-29
Week 6 36-29
Week 7 7-21
Week 7 20-35
Week 9 27-16
Week 10 7-10
Week 12 34-17
Week 12 41-17
Week 15 20-20
Week 16 24-24
Week 16 27-31
Week 17 15-24
Week 17 35-31

2 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

Actually his legal issues wouldn't even be the greatest of my concerns; the inevitable conclusion is financial settlements out of court, and life goes on.  I thought I'd heard that his case(s) weren't even due to hit court until February 2022?  Unless there's an out-of-court resolution I don't see how the NFL clears him to play at all this season. 

Likely, but far from inevitable. 

32 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Well if true I remember him saying something about staying loyal and not joining super teams, etc.  I don't blame these guys for doing whats best for their careers but maybe they shouldn't be lecturing about staying loyal and then decide you want out a couple years later.

13 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

A little better than using the example that another poster said there’s a dude at his gym who looks like him.  WTF does that have to do with anything?   Elliott and his GD cereal eating face needs a size 13. 

I hope you're referring to footwear ..... 

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Welp. There’s only one kind of person that would think of anything else at that point.  NTTAWWT btw.  Be proud.  

You're addressing an older person -- I don't even know what Welp stands for

3 hours ago, greend said:

Likely, that's the whole reason for the suit

I agree.  We should go back to the days were disputes could be settled in a trial by combat.  There are no monetary damages just you get to vanquish your foe.  

3 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

Actually his legal issues wouldn't even be the greatest of my concerns; the inevitable conclusion is financial settlements out of court, and life goes on.  I thought I'd heard that his case(s) weren't even due to hit court until February 2022?  Unless there's an out-of-court resolution I don't see how the NFL clears him to play at all this season. 

Has he been suspended? I am not sure the NFL can necessarily suspend him while these matters are pending.  I am concerned about his legal issues because, as talented as he may be, I think even if you go by his version of events it shows he lacks stability emotionally.  It's a major character concern that could lead to him being out of the league for this or some other non-football related reason sooner than later.  I would be hesitant for the Eagles to trade multiple first round picks for him even if it looked like the suits were not going anywhere.  I also think there's likely to be deposition testimony that comes out and will also impact Watson.  I would imagine that they will be conducting depositions in the case this Fall but court schedules have all been out of whack since  COVID.  

2 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Has he been suspended? I am not sure the NFL can necessarily suspend him while these matters are pending.  I am concerned about his legal issues because, as talented as he may be, I think even if you go by his version of events it shows he lacks stability emotionally.  It's a major character concern that could lead to him being out of the league for this or some other non-football related reason sooner than later.  I would be hesitant for the Eagles to trade multiple first round picks for him even if it looked like the suits were not going anywhere.  I also think there's likely to be deposition testimony that comes out and will also impact Watson.  I would imagine that they will be conducting depositions in the case this Fall but court schedules have all been out of whack since  COVID.  

Seems like the NFL has been quiet on it, maybe because he's said he's not reporting to the Texans anyway, but they should put him on the exempt list, or suspended list, or something.  As far as I know he could walk into the Texans' facility on the  first day of training camp (in order to get paid) as it stands now.

2 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

Tom Brady apparently played the entire past season with a torn MCL that he suffered while still with the Patriots.  And according  to reports it got progressively worse through the season.  

I read that he actually had his leg amputated below the knee after game 4 of last season.  Legend

4 hours ago, greend said:

33 td and 7 ints is over rated in your book? 

The QBs job is to score points, not personally, but by the offense he is leading.

Unless you're talking zero talent around him, he should be held responsible for the offense's performance.

Houston has had as much talent as Indy the last three years.

One way Watson inflates his QB rating is holding on to the ball, by avoiding incompletions by throwing it away, he makes his numbers look better by taking sacks that hurt his offense.

17 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I have a hilarious, somewhat demented, but hilarious video to share.    You know, to kind of make up for the Yoga thing.  

Make up for?  

Archived