Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

So the Vikes offense was in trouble only scoring 28?  I'm not following your logic at all with Detroit vs Minnesota?  Detroit didn't put anything together yesterday and the Vikings put up 28.  They weren't figured out or stopped really by Detroit.

I SAID they were in trouble when JJ  and Cook get stopped. Detroit nearly won that game,let it go at the end

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are the star of your team... I will give you 4 scenarios. 

1.  I shut you down and your team struggles offensively to score

2.  You light up the stat sheet but your team struggles to score

3.  You light it up and your team scores a lot

4. I shut you down but your team scores a lot.

Being your opponent,  I see two things.... either your offense scores or doesn't.   I'm happy with the first 2 scenarios, not happy with the last 2. 

The " stars" are there to effect the game.  If they take the attention of the opponent and leads to his team having success, then it works.   If they get their stats but don't make their team productive,  it's worthless. 

The concern would be... if they shut down the stars and it hurts the team on the scoreboard.   Because then you could say that teams figured out how to stop them in way that effects the game.  Having their opponents just choose to let someone else beat them isn't really hurting Minnesota. 

Not my fault the Lions don't have the personnel to shut them ALL down like we did. JJ has been blanked 2 weeks in a row after posting ridiculous stats last year. Wouldn't bother you at all if AJ was shut down 2 weeks in a row?(it should)

Best way to cover a WR.... put the QB on his ass.

Yep,what I said,same game plan as this week,go after Lawrence and get him rattled early 

5 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

I SAID they were in trouble when JJ  and Cook get stopped. Detroit nearly won that game,let it go at the end

Why do you find shutting down JJ comical? It's an observation,nothing funny about it

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

I SAID they were in trouble when JJ  and Cook get stopped. Detroit nearly won that game,let 

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Not my fault the Lions don't have the personnel to shut them ALL down like we did. JJ has been blanked 2 weeks in a row after posting ridiculous stats last year. Wouldn't bother you at all if AJ was shut down 2 weeks in a row?(it should)

Not if we scored 28.  The reason I like a true #1 is so the defense needs to focus on that guy. It opens up everything else.  I'm not obsessed with the stats. 

If Derick Henry averaged 20 yards a game because they put 9 in the box and his team lights up the scoreboard are we complaining? 

Detroit didn't figure anything out by losing and giving up 28...doesn't matter how Minnesota got their points.

Yep,what I said,same game plan as this week,go after Lawrence and get him rattled early 

I mean, isn't that the game plan every week?  

Just now, joemas6 said:

Not if we scored 28.  The reason I like a true #1 is so the defense needs to focus on that guy. It opens up everything else.  I'm not obsessed with the stats. 

If Derick Henry averaged 20 yards a game because they put 9 in the box and his team lights up the scoreboard are we complaining? 

Detroit didn't figure anything out by losing and giving up 28...doesn't matter how Minnesota got their points.

They figured out how to shut down JJ because WE did it,so obviously they saw what Gannon did and once again not my fault the lions don't have the personnel to shut the rest down, but now teams know how to stop a good weapon they have. Nothing comical about it,but laugh all you want. It wouldn't be funny to you if teams figured out how to shut down AJ and Smith would it?

5 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Doug, being an offensive minded HC will have Lawrence getting rid of the ball quickly.

Book it.

Pretty much defensive strategy comes down to 2 things.   Stop the run and put the QB on his ass.   Executing it is another thing, but that's pretty much the goal every week.  You get to the QB, the rest of the offense obviously struggles.  The good offenses force the D to send extra guys... the good QBs can then adjust.   

We saw Cousins struggle to adjust and we saw Washington struggle to block 4.   We shall see how Jax handles the 4, and if Gannon then is forced to send more, how will Lawrence handle it.

They figured out how to shut down JJ because WE did it,so obviously they saw what Gannon did and once again not my fault the lions don't have the personnel to shut the rest down, but now teams know how to stop a good weapon they have. Nothing comical about it,but laugh all you want. It wouldn't be funny to you if teams figured out how to shut down AJ and Smith would it?

How was this done. Exactly what did Detroit figure out?

4 minutes ago, Asg 15 said:

Doug, being an offensive minded HC will have Lawrence getting rid of the ball quickly.

Book it.

But we have good coverages now,so if they try that I see alot of picks

3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Pretty much defensive strategy comes down to 2 things.   Stop the run and put the QB on his ass.   Executing it is another thing, but that's pretty much the goal every week.  You get to the QB, the rest of the offense obviously struggles.  The good offenses force the D to send extra guys... the good QBs can then adjust.   

We saw Cousins struggle to adjust and we saw Washington struggle to block 4.   We shall see how Jax handles the 4, and if Gannon then is forced to send more, how will Lawrence handle it.

How was this done. Exactly what did Detroit figure out?

IDK what did Gannon do that they copied? We hit JJ off the LOS and that bothers him alot,maybe they did the same,I didnt see the game

3 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

If we put up a ton of points the defenses can stop whichever individual they want for their fantasy teams.  I don't really care.  I think you get obsessed with the stats for certain people... Sanders, Jefferson....etc.  idk why, but it seems you do?   

Good players don't need stats to effect the game. 

Just now, joemas6 said:

If we put up a ton of points the defenses can stop whichever individual they want for their fantasy teams.  I don't really care.  I think you get obsessed with the stats for certain people... Sanders, Jefferson....etc.  idk why, but it seems you do?   

Good players don't need stats to effect the game. 

You're right,always,noone can make an observation without getting a butt kicking.I'm not going to post for awhile. Have a great day

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

IDK what did Gannon do that they copied?

Idk... I'm assuming you have the exact answer because you are so sure of this?   I only know Minnesota scored 7 vs Gannon and 28 yesterday.   So I don’t think Detroit really learned much from Gannon.

Just now, GreenbleedinNC said:

You're right,always,noone can make an observation without getting a butt kicking.I'm not going to post for awhile. Have a great day

Idk... what is the observation ? What did Detroit do?  You made the statement,  I'm assuming you have a specific answer in mind?

3 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Right,so you are counting on the defense so you don't have to work 30/60 minutes as an offensive player. I don't mind milking the clock when you have a lead,but please we can't even kick a FG in 30 minutes in the 2nd 1/2? Now I never said doing that was necessary to win the game,but still it's something you have to look at and go WTH is wrong here because it's a BAD BAD habit to get in to. It will come back to bite you. I would still like to see clock eating running/short pass drives that at least ;ead to a FG in the 2nd 1/2. Obviously the rest of you don't find this weird,but I do and I will continue to

No, actually I do find it odd.......and no, I don't believe the offense should back off and depend on the defense........and no, it's not a "habit"....Perhaps it's an issue that needs to be identified and resolved or just a coincidence....... But I think it's probably a simple fix......it seems to me, the eagles changed the playcalling.....and in today's NFL, you can't go into clock milking until your up by 25+ points.

Like I said, you can't correlate on game to the other......the game plan for jacksonville starts today with sirianni and the coaches.....and I'm sure the 2nd half issue will be addressed.  I can't believe that Sirianni and Steichen don't want to see 30+ pts a game put up.....

I am not sure why, But I was not as concerned about Washington as I was about Minn. Could be that Cousins is much better. Could be that Minn has a legit RB and star WR. In any event, you all are right. We beat three teams to start the year. I am most satisfied with that outcome. If it works into 5-0 I will be a very happy fan, no matter what the final scores were...

8 minutes ago, stine said:

I am not sure why, But I was not as concerned about Washington as I was about Minn. Could be that Cousins is much better. Could be that Minn has a legit RB and star WR. In any event, you all are right. We beat three teams to start the year. I am most satisfied with that outcome. If it works into 5-0 I will be a very happy fan, no matter what the final scores were...

Historically, yesterday was the sort of game  the Eagles lose

52 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

No, actually I do find it odd.......and no, I don't believe the offense should back off and depend on the defense........and no, it's not a "habit"....Perhaps it's an issue that needs to be identified and resolved or just a coincidence....... But I think it's probably a simple fix......it seems to me, the eagles changed the playcalling.....and in today's NFL, you can't go into clock milking until your up by 25+ points.

Like I said, you can't correlate on game to the other......the game plan for jacksonville starts today with sirianni and the coaches.....and I'm sure the 2nd half issue will be addressed.  I can't believe that Sirianni and Steichen don't want to see 30+ pts a game put up.....

I'm not so sure the Eagles O backed off.

It appeared to me that Washington made some effective adjustments on their D. Besides being uo by 24 you logically wouldn't take as many chances as you would if you were behind.

21 minutes ago, Asg 15 said:

I'm not so sure the Eagles O backed off.

It appeared to me that Washington made some effective adjustments on their D. Besides being uo by 24 you logically wouldn't take as many chances as you would if you were behind.

I was actually responding greenbleednc when he said they were counting on the defense and the offense working only have the time.

I agree that adjustments were made and the eagles may have changed some of the playcalling to try not to be predictable.....sometimes that doesn't work.

I really don't think this is a big issue......but hey it's philly, so naturally you can't just dominate an opponent around here.......fans and media want style points.

Favored every game now.  Which to me I thought Green Bay would be the exception.   

Idk... maybe 10 wins...lol.    No I'm not saying 17-0...  just like taking the punter ,long snapper,  kicker as a BPA... or anything obviously stupid.  But the point is no reason team shouldn't win division and a home playoff game.  That was the minimum bar for me.  So far 3-0 and possibly none of those teams will win 9 games.  The roster is set up for an all in year.  Every position was addressed for this year.  So let's go.

FB_IMG_1664224754201.jpg

19 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Anyone making light of Jax be careful they ripped up the Charger D

Why Batman?

They put on the Batman cape on the sideline after making big plays. Statements have been made by them that we have no Robins but bunch of Batmans….ughh Batmen….I don’t know.

8 hours ago, stine said:

Nothing to worry about

Joe Thomas, Kay Adams | Up & Adams (FanDuel)

It was clear the Eagles had rust to shake off against Detroit and that extended to the offensive line that supported the best rushing attack in football last season. Perhaps it was the cost of taking things so lightly with the starters through training camp and the preseason. 

Former lineman and current analyst Joe Thomas sees that argument but ultimately thinks it's nothing to worry about. The Eagles' line is still stacked.

So Joe, the above was written by someone much more qualified than either of us. Apparently he thought the O-Line play was not great either. Of course they were sending 6 men each play!

This supports what I’ve been saying. Have to say it worked. Not much injuries PS. We won the game versus Detroit. But O and D having been picking things up learning on the job. 

10 hours ago, Asg 15 said:

When was the last time the Eagles got 9 sacks

In a game, not a season.

Just an all around feel good game!

10 hours ago, stine said:

Eagles Offense is ranked #1 in the NFL. Defense is ranked #5. When was the last time we ever saw that? Granted it is week 3 against weaker opponents, but still impressive IMO...

I don’t to want get all cowboys fan and start the Hurts for MVP too early but…..

The best part of this game was that AR has no downfield pass catchers. In yrs past he may have torn our butts, now he has to throw short, meaning we have the NFC. Our D gets us there, I'm not drinking our own cool aid on our O - and I toured w/ the Dead back in the day - you can't tell?

40 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I don’t to want get all cowboys fan and start the Hurts for MVP too early but…..

Just cool your jets

That would be the kiss of death 

Archived