Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

6 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

I think most would go this route.   And we are not " players " in FA. But there will be vet QBs just happy to get a job. I don't see this year as a market that will pay top dollar for backup QBs.  Not with the lower cap situation.  Things may get back to normal next year,  but it's a perfect year to land one really cheap.  

LOL yeah not a good year for BU QB's because teams will be taking rooks(you know with upside they can coach)

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Asg 15 said:

The problem with bringing Foles back is you have a built in QB controversy just because it's Foles

Very true, good point, but the fans love him

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

SO why not do BOTH? Why are you passing up a Trask(yes I know if he isnt there we cant take him) and pick up your cheapie vet. This is the identical BS route that gets us in trouble all the time. Play it safe, grab the old cheap vets, rinse and repeat. Isn't that really evident at WR???? I'm breaking that mold and getting the YOUTH y'all keep asking for, but NO NO back to the old retreads because those are "affordable". If they were that good the other team would not release them(even as a #2 QB unless they had something better???) Like we did with Suds "oh he's cheap and a good guy" Very stupid

The answer is simple... because you don't want to pass up drafting a quality player at pick 37.  One that we know will play, not in the event Hurts can't. 

This goes to what my point was about the big picture issue. Prior to 2016 and after the SB... we prioritized positions to the extreme that we invested in backups...BEFORE getting all the starters.  The 2016-17 moves, we got starters first... then added Foles and Barnett.  

Right now, why pass on a quality player at 37... look in your other mocks, I'm sure you have a lot of players you like there.

5 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I'm sure you're not the only one that would disagree with my idea.  :P

IDK what's the "idea"? Retread BU QB and draft all defense.I suppose that s possible,but we have new 'excited to get to work" new staffers and they need new toys in the toybox as well as the defense. BTW I did not ignore D in my mock either, it's a nice mix if you look at it.As far as BU QB,as I said if you want 1 I am fine with that,but that still doesn't stop me from adding Trask( I know I can't take him if he's not there Joe lol)

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

LOL yeah not a good year for BU QB's because teams will be taking rooks(you know with upside they can coach)

Not a good year for backup QBs to make $$$.    You have been around long enough to know this.   And you also know the aggressive move is to go and draft as many players that could start in the early rounds. How many years have you said you want starters in round 2?  Now you want a guy who wouldn't be starting as insurance?   Isn't that the "safe" route? 

3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

The answer is simple... because you don't want to pass up drafting a quality player at pick 37.  One that we know will play, not in the event Hurts can't. 

This goes to what my point was about the big picture issue. Prior to 2016 and after the SB... we prioritized positions to the extreme that we invested in backups...BEFORE getting all the starters.  The 2016-17 moves, we got starters first... then added Foles and Barnett.  

Right now, why pass on a quality player at 37... look in your other mocks, I'm sure you have a lot of players you like there.

Yep, back to same old retread BS. If thats what you want to do(not take a QB),then get your cheap vet and grab a UDFA. I suppose that would work and I'm not against that,but we need to start getting players we can bring UP,who stay here so we dont have to rush out with our jocks on fire to get a FA in a panic 

2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Not a good year for backup QBs to make $$$.    You have been around long enough to know this.   And you also know the aggressive move is to go and draft as many players that could start in the early rounds. How many years have you said you want starters in round 2?  Now you want a guy who wouldn't be starting as insurance?   Isn't that the "safe" route? 

So you are CERTAIN Trask couldn't beat out Hurts in camp? Positive??? Or are you just handing the keys over ala Wentz???

5 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Right now, why pass on a quality player at 37... look in your other mocks, I'm sure you have a lot of players you like there

Yeah, this is true. What we are arguing about is where you get your BU QB. you want the old retread(aka same as it ever was) and I want a youth injection and competition for Hurts, so that is where we differ

I can take Trask out and put someone else in, that's not an issue. But then I am saying "Hurts is my guy" no competition needed, he is the 1 and only. I suppose thats a risk you could take. I'm just against handing someone the keys with no competition. Getting Hurts proved Wentz couldn't handle it and now you want a repeat and I do not. I want my QB to EARN the start. Getting a retread as a BU,tells me the same, no competition for you,you're da MAAAAAAN!!!

17 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Very true, good point, but the fans love him

Exactly my point. The first bad game Hurts has the fans would be screaming for Foles.

11 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

I can take Trask out and put someone else in, that's not an issue. But then I am saying "Hurts is my guy" no competition needed, he is the 1 and only. I suppose thats a risk you could take. I'm just against handing someone the keys with no competition. Getting Hurts proved Wentz couldn't handle it and now you want a repeat and I do not. I want my QB to EARN the start. Getting a retread as a BU,tells me the same, no competition for you,you're da MAAAAAAN!!!

So ,lets add this up right here. WHY? did we draft Hurts? I mean at ALL? Why not go get a "cheap vet"????. This is what you are suggesting right now. SO,if we had NOT drafted Hurts,then we'd be in the "no holds barred " rush to sell the farm to move into 2/3 because we have no QB at ALL unless you think Suds(or the retread) can start lol

10 minutes ago, Asg 15 said:

Exactly my point. The first bad game Hurts has the fans would be screaming for Foles.

Yep

So looking at FA and though I don’t see us signing heavy we will sign some. Two guys I think could be strong candidates 

Mailk Hooker Anthony Walker both former colts to help bring along Gannon system. Malik being a former first rounder with injury issues but at the same time the likely reason he could be cheap to sign. 

44 minutes ago, time2rock said:

just don't see any of the top QBs being that kind of guy.  

I mean did you see Mahomes becoming mahomes  or Watson turning into Watson? 

Josh Allen people were saying he was going to be a bust his first couple years, Hebert didn’t have the QB makeup going into the draft was to quiet lol.

Its all a gamble but if teams knew Mahomes was that caliber guy or Watson you think they last until think 10th and 12th respectively. 

16 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

So looking at FA and though I don’t see us signing heavy we will sign some. Two guys I think could be strong candidates 

Mailk Hooker Anthony Walker both former colts to help bring along Gannon system. Malik being a former first rounder with injury issues but at the same time the likely reason he could be cheap to sign. 

Hooker is mentioned alongside a CB from the 49ers, Witherspoon, as two possible FA targets.

Three free agents who make sense for the Eagles, version 2.0 | PhillyVoice

Any help we can get in the secondary would be good.

21 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

So ,lets add this up right here. WHY? did we draft Hurts? I mean at ALL? Why not go get a "cheap vet"????. This is what you are suggesting right now. SO,if we had NOT drafted Hurts,then we'd be in the "no holds barred " rush to sell the farm to move into 2/3 because we have no QB at ALL unless you think Suds(or the retread) can start lol

Exactly!  I hated the use of such a high pick on a "backup" QB then and would hate to repeat that craziness.  

56 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

So you are CERTAIN Trask couldn't beat out Hurts in camp? Positive??? Or are you just handing the keys over ala Wentz???

The team stinks... I'm not looking to get backups.  If Hurts is a backup, lets find out by letting him play.  Meanwhile we get another quality player at 37 instead of reinvesting in the same position.  I'm sure anyone drafted this year could beat out Hurts, that's not the point.  The point is he is here, the position of QB is here already... too many other spots that are not.  If you take Pitts at 6.   What are we looking at at LB, DB, DL, OL ...etc.  I think both extremes of being cocky and thinking you are good enough elsewhere lets you take a QB... or extreme position priority, and being safe by keep doubling down.    But if we go this route, I don't want to hear you complain about all the players we passed up that could have helped elsewhere.   Which with your extensive research ... you absolutely hold a lot of players in high esteem at pick 37.    Pick 37 is also one that we are not used to having as early in round 2.  Do we take a guy for competition... or a guy we project as an improvement.   Again, I'm asking for a list of guys you have ranked there... name me a few... then add them to the roster to see how that looks compared to adding another QB.  

59 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Yeah, this is true. What we are arguing about is where you get your BU QB. you want the old retread(aka same as it ever was) and I want a youth injection and competition for Hurts, so that is where we differ

No... we differ on that I don't want to pass on a player that can be had at 37.... simply for competition.   Too many needs at starter to worry about competition at a spot we already invested in.  

55 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

It tells you sqaut... if puts him in position to either succeed or fail and we can move on quicker.  I want to move on with a better team, not keep using 2nd round picks for backups.  

56 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

And we differ on Wentz... I think he wanted out of this crappy situation that he has been around for 2 years already, and he didn't think Howie was good enough to put the team around him to win.   WE are fans for life, these players have a short window.  It's why I keep bringing up what I feel is the most important thing, you want to create an environment where players think they can come and win.    Why would Wentz want to compete for a bad job... right now as has been for the last 2 year, the Eagles QB is a bad job to have.  Give it to Hurts now, and try to build the other spots so it's not longer a bad job.  Bringing in another guy to compete for a bad job does nothing to me,   Congrats Mr Trask, you own the job ... the job sucks, but it's yours.  Who cares.  Build something, then you can have guys compete for a good job.  Until then, do we really need guys competing to clean toilets... thats what the Eagles QB job is right now. 

24 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Hooker is mentioned alongside a CB from the 49ers, Witherspoon, as two possible FA targets.

Three free agents who make sense for the Eagles, version 2.0 | PhillyVoice

Any help we can get in the secondary would be good.

Malik been on my FA board for away Witherspoon is interesting I liked him when he was coming out in the draft 

59 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Yep

WE drafted Hurts....

1.  Howie is the smartest guy in the room
2.  QB is a position they prioritize
3.  By drafting him early, there would be pressure to not sign an expensive vet as a backup, so we would have a cheap #2
4.  He can run gadget plays
5.  So we could let him run gadget plays, have a cheap backup, and then try to find a desperate team in a couple years that would trade for him

We already knew the team needed a lot of work around the QB.  We should know now that it's even worse.   At this point now... you either think Hurts is not the guy, and pick one 1st.  Or you fully commit to building the team regardless if Hurts is the guy.  The cheap vet comes in to back up this year.   Then you draft a QB n one of the next couple of drafts, but in the meantime you use your picks to put a better team in place.  Fill the many holes... which there are many.  

23 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Exactly!  I hated the use of such a high pick on a "backup" QB then and would hate to repeat that craziness.  

You hate him now that Wentz is gone? WHO is your QB?

23 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

The team stinks... I'm not looking to get backups.  If Hurts is a backup, lets find out by letting him play.  Meanwhile we get another quality player at 37 instead of reinvesting in the same position.  I'm sure anyone drafted this year could beat out Hurts, that's not the point.  The point is he is here, the position of QB is here already... too many other spots that are not.  If you take Pitts at 6.   What are we looking at at LB, DB, DL, OL ...etc.  I think both extremes of being cocky and thinking you are good enough elsewhere lets you take a QB... or extreme position priority, and being safe by keep doubling down.    But if we go this route, I don't want to hear you complain about all the players we passed up that could have helped elsewhere.   Which with your extensive research ... you absolutely hold a lot of players in high esteem at pick 37.    Pick 37 is also one that we are not used to having as early in round 2.  Do we take a guy for competition... or a guy we project as an improvement.   Again, I'm asking for a list of guys you have ranked there... name me a few... then add them to the roster to see how that looks compared to adding another QB.  

OK I will work on this. Shouldn't take long lol

24 minutes ago, time2rock said:

It’s a completely different situation though from when we drafted Hurts vs now.

Wentz was just signed and we made a point to say he was our QB then drafted Hurts so high when we had so many other areas we needed help in.

Now Hurts is a late 2nd rounder no other QBs on roster wouldn’t be a QB controversy if we drafted a guy would just be a QB competition 

ROund 2 options- Trask-QB, Moehrig-S, Oweh-edge,marshall-WR, Basham-edge, Davis-OG Etienne-RB( but think he goes in 1)

Archived