EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

2 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I've heard debate about what tier QB Watson is, comments on his contract, comments on his legal situation, and comments on when the trade would happen...but what about what he'd actually cost?

The Texans are going to want our 1, Miami's 1, and the Wentz pick.  The level of interest from other teams is what will determine if it's a competition to put up the best package or if Howie can cut down on that.

2022 1st, 2023 1st and Hurts is my offer. 

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I've heard debate about what tier QB Watson is, comments on his contract, comments on his legal situation, and comments on when the trade would happen...but what about what he'd actually cost?

The Texans are going to want our 1, Miami's 1, and the Wentz pick.  The level of interest from other teams is what will determine if it's a competition to put up the best package or if Howie can cut down on that.

Caplan kind of talked about it on 973 in a interview last week. He said before everything hit the fan off the field for watson it was down to Carolina and the eagles as the two teams most going for it. Carolina is now out as they got darnold. Miami and Denver as two teams competing in it but is assuming tua flops and the Broncos don’t make a move for rodgers. I really don’t think it’s going to take 3 firsts with the circumstances surrounding it. I think it becomes 2 firsts and another pick that’s not a first and possibly hurts depending on how they feel about him. 

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

2022 1st, 2023 1st and Hurts is my offer. 

I don't think they care about Hurts at all, not even a sweetener.  If we are trading a ransom for Watson, it means we have no interest in Hurts, so I doubt they would either.  They already invested in a non round 1 project QB who is a better passer than Hurts.

I'd hate to have no first round pick in 2023.  I'd almost rather keep that and give up a pair of 1's this year.

3 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I don't think they care about Hurts at all, not even a sweetener.  If we are trading a ransom for Watson, it means we have no interest in Hurts, so I doubt they would either.  They already invested in a non round 1 project QB who is a better passer than Hurts.

I'd hate to have no first round pick in 2023.  I'd almost rather keep that and give up a pair of 1's this year.

That's why I have to include the 2023 1st. 

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Isn't the list of QBs who have won Super Bowls while on massive deals very, very short? 

Not sure, but even if so that's correlation not causation.

35 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

This right here is more important than the entire Ertz discussion 100x over.  

We aren't getting anything in return, and Ertz doesnt have any meaningful productivity left that will contribute to this team during a window of contention.

I gladly admit that I know nothing about Sirianni.  I absolutely believe that Lowie hired him to be an energetic puppet, but that doesn't mean that's what he is (if we've learned anything about Howie, it's that his selections aren't always spot on).  He could be Vince Lombardi, AR, Doug Pederson, or Rich Kotite.  (Scratch off Belichick and Chip Kelly, because he just doesn't have that kind of disposition).  

I heard from many that Siri was a big fan of channeling his passing game through the TE...and 2 TE's if possible.  Then I heard that he's more about multiple WRs (which is consistent with what every other team in the NFL does).  This will be important to see what goes down.  The 2 TE fad was a disaster here....I look forward to that going away.  As you hinted, I don't want to hear BS about "maximizing the personnel we have, playing to their strengths, and using 2 TE sets with Ertz and Goedert together because they are our 2 best receivers."  That's an express ticket to nowhere for this offense.

Yup the increase in 2 TE sets for the eagles Was a disaster as it made the offense slower congested passing lanes and since Ertz doesn't block hurt the run game.

Almost all teams use 3 WR sets majority of the time and even 4 WR sets more often than 2 TE sets 

In theory a two TE set can create mismatches if both TEs are multiple and can block and catch.

Those guys are few and far between and to have two on the same team is rare.

Even when the pats were killing defenses with Hernandez and gronk, Hernandez wasn't much of a blocker but he could routinley beat corners where as Ertz no longer does and gronk was just a beast as a blocker and a receiver.

Those guys are rare talents And on different levels than Ertz and goedert 

With Ertz and goedert you get a TE in goedert that is a good run blocker and a pretty good receiver and in Ertz you get a useless blocker and a guy who no longer can consitently beat corners and with teams going smaller and faster at SS and FS he can't beat those either which leaves LBs and nobody is consistently covering Ertz with a LB which would open up the run game instead they just stay in nickel and cover him with a nickel back and take their chances that he can't block or beat a nickel corner and for the most part lady year he couldn't didn't do other.

2 TE sets with Ertz is a flawed scheme that gums up the pass and run game and limits explosive plays.

What's the point of drafting all that speed at WR if one is going to keep it on the sidelines.

Cut Ertz  and focus on Integrating and developing the talent at WR 

Keeping Ertz isn't progressive it's regressive 

The legal situation against Watson, as well as his no-trade clause, lowers the compensation. Ex: If he doesn't want to go to a place, it doesn't matter if we offer 4 1s.

I offer Hurts, a 1 and a 2. 

2 minutes ago, uncphillyfan said:

Nelson?

Not unless they cut/trade Ertz or restructure someone.

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

Haha The Simpsons GIFs | Tenor

I was totally going to put this. You beat me to it 

spacer.png

29 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

There is though.  It's called cap space and the team that you are able to put together.  Doesn't even factor in the loss of draft capital that would be involved in a trade for Watson. 

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/max-qb-sb-ring-facts-data-ryan-mccumber

19 minutes ago, RLC said:

The legal situation against Watson, as well as his no-trade clause, lowers the compensation. Ex: If he doesn't want to go to a place, it doesn't matter if we offer 4 1s.

I offer Hurts, a 1 and a 2. 

Hurts was drafted at #53 which means most teams had 2 chances to draft him and didn't -- in a QB-hungry league

Hurts was the starter for the last 4 games last season plus part of the Packers game -- would you say his overall performance increased or decreased league-wide perception of him?  (I'm asking -- not inferring one way or another)

HOU had what, 2 draft picks this past draft?  They used one of them on a QB already, Davis Mills.  Their interest in Hurts would depend on who they evaluate as a better prospect.

17 minutes ago, uncphillyfan said:

Eskin said on WIP that there would be news tomorrow. Ertz pay cut?  

Ben Simmons is being traded back to Australia for a Funnel Web Spider and a Kangaroo

Just now, VeeMak said:

Ben Simmons is being traded back to Australia for a Funnel Web Spider and a Kangaroo

No. This is the Turkey Hill Post of the day. Think crocodile Dundee is the sweetener?

Just now, uncphillyfan said:

No. This is the Turkey Hill Post of the day. Think crocodile Dundee is the sweetener?

I heard Ben DM’d a d pick to his old lady and captioned it with "Naaah, that’s not a knife....THIS is a KNIFE!”

40 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

New plan, we just continue to draft QBs every 3-4 years and at the end of the rookie contracts we just trade or let them walk away because it’s hard to win Super Bowls when good/great QBs get paid. 

44 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Hurts was drafted at #53 which means most teams had 2 chances to draft him and didn't -- in a QB-hungry league

As long as Hurts doesn't trip over himself, he'll have value in a trade. Teddy Bridgewater got traded for a #3...to be the #3 QB behind Brees/Hill. Hurts on a rookie deal for 2 years has trade value.

2 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

How can the Eagles not mangle the future cap any more and trade for Watson?

I don’t know the answer to the question, but if you substitute "cap” with "fap”, it makes every post about the cap very entertaining.

Just now, uncphillyfan said:

The fappining is happening 

Is that a hard fap?  If so, who do you think will be a fap casualty?

Archived