EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Veteran oriented defense. If everyone can stay relatively healthy, I think our defense looks pretty good on paper. 

I was listening to Avant & Mikell’s podcast on YouTube (it’s pretty good if you guys are looking for some good football insight), and one thing Avant mentioned was he expects this defense to be better than most expect. He thinks that if they can be a strong assignment team & have minimal errors, they can be a good defense. That It’s only when they play a strong offensive team that’s better talent wise the Eagles defense could be in trouble

1 minute ago, RLC said:

It's a great value signing. It shouldn't have been us giving it.

He’s a major upgrade on a fair deal. I’ve accepted that the Eagles don’t look at this as a rebuilding year, hence all the one-year bandaids in an attempt to be reasonably competitive. 

It’s not the route I would have gone, but looking at it through that lens, I actually think Howie has had a solid offseason. 

I would have preferred we embraced the rebuild instead of trying to win 8 or 9 games. 

One nice thing about Nelson is that at 28, he might be able to stick around past his one-year deal as we continue to build. It’s better than spending money on the likes of Flacco and Kerrigan IMO. 

13 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

Lets Go!!!!

This signing actually has me feeling a lot more optimistic about this defense.  Not a lot of depth or young talent to be hopeful about developing but I think they could be ok and successful enough to allow for younger players to maybe develop at LB and Safety 

5 minutes ago, lornemalvo4133 said:

Strikes me as a Zach Brown type signing unlikely to work out well

Well he's better than the other options on the roster for this season to play opposite of Slay.  

25 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

Lets Go!!!!

Wonder what the numbers are, seems Howie is going to have to do more than cut Willie Henry to get everyone signed.

19 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

He’s a major upgrade on a fair deal. I’ve accepted that the Eagles don’t look at this as a rebuilding year, hence all the one-year bandaids in an attempt to be reasonably competitive. 

It’s not the route I would have gone, but looking at it through that lens, I actually think Howie has had a solid offseason. 

I would have preferred we embraced the rebuild instead of trying to win 8 or 9 games. 

Who knows.

If Hurts plays well enough to keep the eagles in games it would be a Shane if the defense was so bad  they had no chance.

They've upgraded from last year at Safety LB and now Corner and DT through the draft.

I don't expect them to be the 85 Bears but signing Nelson makes them more competitive and signals that aren't going to tank the season by starting Maddox at CB 2

Nelson is a legit CB2

28 minutes ago, Dwide Schrude said:

Veteran oriented defense. If everyone can stay relatively healthy, I think our defense looks pretty good on paper. 

I was listening to Avant & Mikell’s podcast on YouTube (it’s pretty good if you guys are looking for some good football insight), and one thing Avant mentioned was he expects this defense to be better than most expect. He thinks that if they can be a strong assignment team & have minimal errors, they can be a good defense. That It’s only when they play a strong offensive team that’s better talent wise the Eagles defense could be in trouble

Yeah I think signing Nelson at least gives the defense a chance to compete.

He's a solid CB2.

With upgrades at safety and LB and more depth at DT from the draft the eagles D might be ok.

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

That's not odd.  It would be odd if they  were signing these guys to deals longer than 1 year.  But 1 year deals give them a chance for one or more of these guys to flash enough to maybe sign a nice deal with another team next year and then return some sort of comp pick to the Eagles.

Given all the one-year deals, we still have lots of flexibility. If we win, great. If we lose, easy trade candidates at the deadline.

I wonder how this works with the Eagles cap situation to pay Nelson $4M+ when we still need to sign Dickerson.  Further reason to not by Howard's report that Ertz will play this season on the Eagles.  

Just now, RLC said:

Given all the one-year deals, we still have lots of flexibility. If we win, great. If we lose, easy trade candidates at the deadline.

Unless another team is running away with the division instead of every one in the division tripping over themselves like they usually do then I don't think Howie has it in him to be a seller at the trade deadline instead of using one of those 1st round picks to try and be a buyer at the trade deadline for some player on the final year of their contract.  

6 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

That's not odd.  It would be odd if they  were signing these guys to deals longer than 1 year.  But 1 year deals give them a chance for one or more of these guys to flash enough to maybe sign a nice deal with another team next year and then return some sort of comp pick to the Eagles.

Yea agreed with you. I don’t think it was an odd way to build a team at all, minus Flacco. Don’t know what different he’d expect the Eagles to do. I’d be concerned if they were making trades for aging vets as if they felt they were still a playoff team. Eagles still need to field a competitive roster for this year, can’t just give the middle finger to your new HC and not give him some veteran talent to work with in his first season 

4 minutes ago, Dwide Schrude said:

Yea agreed with you. I don’t think it was an odd way to build a team at all, minus Flacco. Don’t know what different he’d expect the Eagles to do. I’d be concerned if they were making trades for aging vets as if they felt they were still a playoff team. Eagles still need to field a competitive roster for this year, can’t just give the middle finger to your new HC and not give him some veteran talent to work with in his first season 

It depends on how you sold the job to the HC and his assistants. It’s not a middle finger if you tell the guy upfront that 2021 is a rebuilding year and that we’re going to take our salary cap medicine this year in hopes kickstarting the roster next year. 

The least surprising signing in a while but at least the question of CB2 has been answered.  It makes the slot CB competition a good now Maddox isn't CB by default, and we can test Jacquet's 4.30 speed....

Howard Eskin could have given that signing a 90% guarantee and looked like the (Burger) King he assumes he is.😉

Archived