EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

The Eagles could be a sneaky good team or defense if literally every question mark breaks in their favor. And therein lies the problem 

For years now it's been if the team stays healthy

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

The Eagles could be a sneaky good team or defense if literally every question mark breaks in their favor. And therein lies the problem 

It really comes down to Hurts and the coaching staff. Narrative that there's no talent on this team comes from 2020 coaching and injuries.

5 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

For years now it's been if the team stays healthy

2021 is beyond that now. It’s IF Hurts can play at an acceptable level. IF Sirianni can call a game. IF Reagor/Fulgham/Sanders can step up their game. IF this team can generate turnovers and not give them up. IF Gannon can call put together a decent game plan. IF 2021 rookies can step in right away.

This is an out of the blue thought but one of my favorite 1-year deal players was Shawn Barber.  Man I loved how he played LB.

6 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

It really comes down to Hurts and the coaching staff. Narrative that there's no talent on this team comes from 2020 coaching and injuries.

There’s marginal talent IMO. Young talent is where they are really lacking. If best case is a wild card team, the talent is clearly limited. 

7 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

And years of bad drafting.   Talent, coaching and injuries are all 3 different things.  Name the last pro bowl player this team drafted and is currently on the squad.  I know the answer.  Do you?  

Rick Lovato 

LFG

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

There’s marginal talent IMO. Young talent is where they are really lacking. If best case is a wild card team, the talent is clearly limited. 

Best case is division winner and then we'll see (likely first round exit). Did you forget this division is trash?

Drafting hasn't been good, but how much of that is coaching? We'll see.

39 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

That has to be an improvement this year.   Right?   Right?  

Honestly i fully expect someone to eventually be decapitated like mortal kombat finishing moves with how the injuries are going the past couple years.  

7 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Let’s say we swap out Hurts for Watson and we trade two 1s to get it done. 

How are we feeling about the state of the roster then? 

Just now, ManuManu said:

I'd be missing those two 1s badly

I don't think we're a QB away from contending

3 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

As is? Contending for the division, could maybe win a playoff game. Long term outlook is better but still a bit unknown 

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

How would you feel if they don’t trade the two firsts and both those firsts become Derek Barnett like players? 

As is? Contending for the division, could maybe win a playoff game. Long term outlook is better but still a bit unknown 

Yeah, I wouldn’t pretend like the roster would be in great shape, but having the quarterback takes away a lot of the warts. 

28 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yep.  Bringing race into it.  Report worthy.   

Rent free...

6 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Rick Lovato 

LFG

We didn’t draft Rick Lovato. He started with chicago. In 70 years since the Pro Bowl started we have had 103 players make it. A good majority we didn’t draft. But it has seemed to be a ridiculous argument people make in the past 2 years.

11 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

It's not limited in how much there is on the roster.  It's old and diminishing (lots of name guys still around,  but not in their prime)  Or, young and unproven (hurts, Smith, reagor, even Sanders).

There's a lack of young established talents. That could easily change very quickly if some rookies look good and some of last years picks take a step forward. 

3 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Assuming Watson has his legal issues in order, I wouldn’t miss those two 1s even a little bit. Top 5-10 QBs are incredibly valuable. 

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

How would you feel if they don’t trade the two firsts and both those firsts become Derek Barnett like players? 

That Howie should be fired

That’s how I’d feel. I think they likely be a 9 win team with an outside chance at ten. Likely that gets into the playoffs but not a legit super bowl contender and still need to add pieces the next couple offseasons. 

Watson has a no-trade clause and last I heard MIA was the only team he would waive it for.  I read the Dolphins, Broncos and Eagles were the three teams still pursuing him.  

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

That Howie should be fired

I kind of feel like that’s why howie would be more inclined to make the deal if watson is cleared. If he gets watson and he plays like he has in the past then i think there’s less chance he sees himself getting fired then using those picks and having the return he has over past couple years 

Watson without legal issues is worth a lot more than two 1s, so we’d be getting him at a heavy, heavy discount. 

I completely understand if someone doesn’t want him due to character, but if you’re OK with having him on the team, those two 1s are nothing for a player his caliber. 

5 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Watson has a no-trade clause and last I heard MIA was the only team he would waive it for.  I read the Dolphins, Broncos and Eagles were the three teams still pursuing him.  

Fwiw caplan on 973 in AC (last week) said before the legal issues the two main teams going the hardest were Carolina and the eagles. Florio on WIP said from everything he’s heard down to Broncos and eagles really being the two teams he’s heard and he thinks the Broncos really want rodgers if/when packers make him available. 

13 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

Best case is division winner and then we'll see (likely first round exit). Did you forget this division is trash?

Drafting hasn't been good, but how much of that is coaching? We'll see.

I don’t think the division could possibly be as bad as it was last year. That took Barkley and Dak getting hurt and the Eagles absolutely imploding. I don’t think it’s some powerhouse by any means but it should be better all around. 

And I agree coaching more than likely had a role in player development since no one seemed to really improve barely at all outside of offensive line. But being realistic about it, I think a good majority just can’t play at this level. I don’t think you can expect everyone to improve. 

Archived