Carson Wentz and the Colts pick - officially #16 (topic closed)

EazyEaglez

3 hours ago, It Hurts said:

QBs with the highest rating in the AFC
1.Joe Burrow 108.9
2.Josh Allen 103.6
3. Carson Wentz 102.8
4. Derek Carr 101.2
5 Justin Herbert 98.8
6 Lamar JaCkson 97.9
7. Patrick Mahomes 97.9
8. Ryan Tannehill 89.0

Right between Allen and Carr is exactly where I've seen him before. 😁

Come on, that list is a joke though.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anybody else notice Wentz' disposition after the Sunday night game? 

He looked so relaxed, peaceful, unburdoned.  Totally different than the last 2 years in Philly.  It blew my mind, was a shocking sight.

We had our qb. 

What went wrong?  I thought Doug ridiculously babied him and then when Doug himself was on the hot seat he mangled Carson beyond repair though i'm sure Howie and Lurie played their part as well.

GMs like to say they try to draft the best available but if Howie had drafted for need we'd still have Wentz and Ertz and 2 more players.

fwiw i still think Siriani can become a good coach but I've already tired of Hurts' try real hard/scraper routine.  He's not an NFL qb if ya ask me.

Lot of things going on with Wentz. 

1) He's two years older than he was then. He's been through some things, thought about them, and he's a more mature guy. 

2) He's got better talent around him than we've had the past few years. 

3) He's got a good relationship with that coach. 

4) He's more comfortable with midwestern fans and media than with east coast fans and media. 

The Siri and Hurts stuff will have to be for another thread, but suffice it to say that IMO the last chapter hasn't been written in either one of their books. Of course TATE hates them, TATE hates everyone. If you're related to them, you'd just about have to hope they get out of Philly too.

He knows the colts will draft him help on offense instead of wasting a second round pick on a QB controversy headache. 

20 minutes ago, wyote said:

Lot of things going on with Wentz. 

1) He's two years older than he was then. He's been through some things, thought about them, and he's a more mature guy. 

2) He's got better talent around him than we've had the past few years. 

3) He's got a good relationship with that coach. 

4) He's more comfortable with midwestern fans and media than with east coast fans and media. 

The Siri and Hurts stuff will have to be for another thread, but suffice it to say that IMO the last chapter hasn't been written in either one of their books. Of course TATE hates them, TATE hates everyone. If you're related to them, you'd just about have to hope they get out of Philly too.

Wentz is a good not great QB who is injury prone.

I didn’t agree with the Hurts draft pick, but the Packers spent a first on Jordan Love and Rodgers produced an MVP season.

We are where we are and Wentz can win with a good team around him. But he’s 3-4 with a PFF rating 5 points worse than Hurts. He should have been picked off 3/4 times in that San Fran game.

36 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

He knows the colts will draft him help on offense instead of wasting a second round pick on a QB controversy headache. 

Yeah Reich even waived the guy who came into relieve him when he went out injured earlier in the season, he's absolutely determined to avoid any controversy whatsoever,  hopefully Carson will accept a UDFA as 3rd stringer next draft, maybe some language in the new guys contract about never seeing the field unless Carson is struck by a meteor or called up in the rapture or some such to be on the safe side.

1 minute ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Yeah Reich even waived the guy who came into relieve him when he went out injured earlier in the season, he's absolutely determined to avoid any controversy whatsoever,  hopefully Carson will accept a UDFA as 3rd stringer next draft, maybe some language in the new guys contract about never seeing the field unless Carson is struck by a meteor or called up in the rapture or some such to be on the safe side.

Well the colts have a franchise QB and we don't so must be better than the stupid crap we pulled. 

3 hours ago, wyote said:

Only on TATE would there be unhappiness that a guy almost everyone here hated is gone and now doing just about exactly what is needed to get us a mid-1st round rather than a 2nd round pick. 

Because some of us would rather Wentz had stayed instead of handing the keys to Hurts. Yeah we got a really nice draft pick out of it (possibly). But we don't have a QB and this upcoming QB class is below average. So now we have to pray Minshew is serviceable..

7 hours ago, kiwieagle said:

I have been beating that drum myself for a while now....and its not just the beyond silly Hurts pick that goes against him.

Our draft record particularly over recent years is very poor, we have mostly whiffed on our FA signings since 2017, have handed out big and long contracts that we can't easily get out of to older players who cant stay healthy, there is very little young talent on the roster, the cap is in a horrible shape, and he alienated multiple head coaches. Other than the one positive of having 3 potential 1st round picks, he has failed at every other aspect of being a GM. And based on his record of drafting, we will probably bungle those picks anyway...

Of course not.  This house ofncards wasnt the result of a single transaction, but a list of them of varying genres, and degrees of ineptitude.

3 hours ago, wyote said:

Only on TATE would there be unhappiness that a guy almost everyone here hated is gone and now doing just about exactly what is needed to get us a mid-1st round rather than a 2nd round pick. 

Only on TATE would Wentz have been hated.  

17 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Yeah fans of every other team watching their 5 year vet $100mill contract QB put up the worst performance in football all sit around campfires singing supportive songs and holding pep rallies until he stops playing like dogshit.

20 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Maybe the fan base has learned their lesson about screaming for your franchise guy in a funk to be benched instead of letting him work through it but I doubt it. The grass isn't always greener. 

22 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Of course not.  This house ofncards wasnt the result of a single transaction, but a list of them of varying genres, and degrees of ineptitude.

I've never seen a stupid second round pick torch a franchise like that one. We lost a SB winning head coach and a franchise QB from the idiotic mistakes fallout. 

1 hour ago, Uscg-green said:

Maybe the fan base has learned their lesson about screaming for your franchise guy in a funk to be benched instead of letting him work through it but I doubt it. The grass isn't always greener. 

A significant segment haven't learned anything and would never admit it, if they did.  

1 hour ago, Uscg-green said:

HE. ASKED. TO. BE. TRADED.

It's interesting you should say about screaming for a QB to be benched instead of letting him work through it, so through 7 games of a season

2-4-1 Record  163-278  58.63% 1760yards 10TD's 10Ints with 185 yards rushing and 5 TD's from a 5 year veteran with a $100 million contract isn't worthy of benching

but

2-5  Record  148-242  61.16% 1716yards 10TD's 4Ints with 361 yards rushing with 5 TD's from a guy with 11 starts make him a bum who isn't even an NFL level back up.

Who needed to learn what lesson? What is the lesson? Do you know?

6 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

HE. ASKED. TO. BE. TRADED.

AFTER. HE. WAS. BENCHED. FOR. A. GIMMICK. QB. 

See I can do it as well. Not that cool or original. You think Hurts is as good as Wentz? Try and trade him for even a second round with no possibility for a first. You'd get laughed at. 

4 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

AFTER. HE. WAS. BENCHED. FOR. A. GIMMICK. QB. 

See I can do it as well. Not that cool or original. I'm ready to ignore you troll. Toodles!

To be fair you've already ignored the meat of the argument to piss your pants about text formatting.

33 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

A significant segment haven't learned anything and would never admit it, if they did.  

There's still Hurts Humpers hanging on for dear life. Not willing to admit he was a huge mistake. Ones on this thread. 

This team(howie)/City/local media along with Wentz's fragile ego all helped to drive him out of Town.  Ultimately Lurie is at fault, he has Howie in position to draft a horrible project QB in the 2nd rd, when we had soo many other holes. Howie also was the one who relied on old and oft injured players, which only made it even more difficult for Wentz to succeed. And Howie's inability to draft help at the WR position while wentz was here? 

You can say Wentz is thin skinned and you'd be right, you can say he played poorly last year, again all correct, but Wentz is 10X the QB Hurts will ever be. Breaking down the game tapes tells us that. 

We as a team/city deserve to be bottom feeders for the decisions that Howie made, and the clamoring for Hurts to be a starting QB by fans and media. Thats fing laughable. 

Reich and the Colts never would have traded for Wentz if Reich wasn't positive he could straighten Wentz out.  And he clearly has made progress.  

Reich's pass run ratio is 54/46.......So he's not loading the entire offense on Wentz.  Plus Wentz's decision making is better, and his mechanics are better.  Comparing his stats from this year to last year is stupid.  Reich knows Wentz is a work in progress, especially for him to recognize his issues and correct them.  He'll get better as the season wears on.

Wentz wanted out of a f------ up situation and the eagles were and are acting like the old cleveland browns.  

Wentz's biggest issue is his injuries.  Most of his injuries come from his style of play.  I think Reich has finally got him to see that and he's adjusted somewhat.

The way Wentz played last year was a combination of issues that snowballed during the year and Wentz, nor Pedersen, knew how to correct it.....which probably added to the tension between them that started with the eagles early game offensive struggles and Pedersen not allowing Wentz to change the play on the field.

Add that to the buzz around the league and the media that Wentz was injury prone, the offensive line was terrible early in the year,  the receivers weren't getting open and Wentz was turning the ball over and Wentz had a pretty severe drop in confidence and it started to affect his mechanics and decision making.  He also began to force plays thinking he had to make something happen because, in his mind, the switch to Hurts was possible.  And again, neither he nor Pedersen knew how to fix it.

And after experiencing Sirianni, Wentz career probably would have come to an end here.....2 years in a row playing poorly is a death knell for NFL QBs.  So the trade was really good for Wentz and Reich and the eagles would not have benefitted in keeping him.  Unfortunately, they're going to ruin Hurts, waste more draft picks, and then ruin the next kid while hoping for the next prodigy to "save the franchise".

It doesn't really matter what Wentz is doing with the Colts because it wasn't going to happen here. He was on a steady downtrend ever since we won the Super Bowl until it ultimately led to him being statistically the worst QB in the league last year. Between that and his mentality, I don't think it was ever going to turn around significantly here.

It takes a big gamble to sit on a $100M contract for a situation that may not turn around and then hamstring your cap. If we went another year and Wentz stayed stagnant then there's basically a zero chance we get another 1st round pick. We lucked out in terms of the Colts/Reich situation. It may not look pretty right now, but honestly it's probably better to take our lumps now and have a chance to rebuild.

Obviously there's other baggage that we have to be concerned with going forward but I don't think holding onto Wentz was the move. That ship already sailed.

Nice to see garbage time stats being used to defend a guy who clearly can't function in an NFL offense, with starting quality OL and a couple starting NFL quality offensive weapons on the field with him.  And put them up against stats for an offense that literally had 2 NFL players on the field at the same time playing.  Jamon Brown, Matt Toth, Matt Pryor, Travis Fulgham, Greg Ward, Richard Rodgers, Nate Herbig and Boston Scott... all on the field, at the same time last year.  

21 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Nice to see garbage time stats being used to defend a guy who clearly can't function in an NFL offense, with starting quality OL and a couple starting NFL quality offensive weapons on the field with him.  And put them up against stats for an offense that literally had 2 NFL players on the field at the same time playing.  Jamon Brown, Matt Toth, Matt Pryor, Travis Fulgham, Greg Ward, Richard Rodgers, Nate Herbig and Boston Scott... all on the field, at the same time last year.  

You can list all the scrub players you want, but that doesn't excuse Carson's poor play last season. There were many times where WR's were actually open, yet Wentz missed badly. Also, good franchise QB's make scrubs look better than they are all the time. He didn't need to light it up, but give me some McNabb type numbers at least, cos throwing 16 TDs and 15 INTs ain't gonna cut it!

6 hours ago, JP HOF said:

Did anybody else notice Wentz' disposition after the Sunday night game? 

He looked so relaxed, peaceful, unburdoned.  Totally different than the last 2 years in Philly.  It blew my mind, was a shocking sight.

We had our qb. 

What went wrong?  I thought Doug ridiculously babied him and then when Doug himself was on the hot seat he mangled Carson beyond repair though i'm sure Howie and Lurie played their part as well.

GMs like to say they try to draft the best available but if Howie had drafted for need we'd still have Wentz and Ertz and 2 more players.

fwiw i still think Siriani can become a good coach but I've already tired of Hurts' try real hard/scraper routine.  He's not an NFL qb if ya ask me.

Wow...already tired of a guy who basically is rookie...disturbing but you don't hear anyone crucifying Trevor Lawrence or Zach Wilson...smh

Archived